Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Building cities costs a lot of influence, but conquering an independent city costs nothing, so until you get the Three-Masted Ship technology the best strategy is to opportunistically grab small cities whenever they pop up near your territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I feel like modern games have a problem with trying to have the AI play the same game as the humans. The best games I’ve played against AI had cheating AI, but the point was that the cheating was hidden well enough you felt you were playing against an AI playing with the same rules.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Popoto posted:

I feel like modern games have a problem with trying to have the AI play the same game as the humans. The best games I’ve played against AI had cheating AI, but the point was that the cheating was hidden well enough you felt you were playing against an AI playing with the same rules.

I forget which of the Warcraft games it is, but one of them literally just, made the AI cheat until the human players were nearly defeated, at which point it would stop cheating, making the player feel like they learned something and started to turn the tide. The AI for that game was considered revolutionary at the time.

In any case the problem in Humankind is not that the AI cheats, it's that there's mechanics missing that give the AI an unfair advantage. Simultaneous turns should still involve some sort of priority, the battle order shouldn't be random, the battle layout shouldn't be random, the direction in which units flee shouldn't be random. I have no problem with the AI getting bonuses, I don't even have a problem with them getting combat strength. But the issue is specifically that they don't play the same game as humans, the AI seemingly knows stuff that I have no way of knowing like all the things I said are supposed to be random.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just tried the difficulty above the middle one and the difference between them is astounding in a bad way: they get free units, they get free veterancy (which is the real bullshit part), and the AI just goes super rear end in a top hat mode and will constantly try to fight you (even with scouts). It's real loving annoying to have them spam spearmen, which combined with a veterancy star, fights on par with warriors and just shits on chariots.

Compounded with the whole retreat spam and simultaneous turns, it's created a more frustrating enemy to fight than Civ AI. I'm very disappointed, considering people have been playing up this AI as "better than dumbas Civ AI lolol" when instead it's got its own version of unfun bullshit.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Is it "intentional" that a conquered city has zero infrastructure or is that the classic "the AI never builds anything because it doesn't understand how to spam production and just spends forever building a few units" problem that's plagued 4x games forever?

fnox
May 19, 2013

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Is it "intentional" that a conquered city has zero infrastructure or is that the classic "the AI never builds anything because it doesn't understand how to spam production and just spends forever building a few units" problem that's plagued 4x games forever?

Unless the pop is higher than 10 or there is enough infrastructure/wonders I nearly always just raze it and resettle with one of the settler units.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

Just tried the difficulty above the middle one and the difference between them is astounding in a bad way: they get free units, they get free veterancy (which is the real bullshit part), and the AI just goes super rear end in a top hat mode and will constantly try to fight you (even with scouts). It's real loving annoying to have them spam spearmen, which combined with a veterancy star, fights on par with warriors and just shits on chariots.

Compounded with the whole retreat spam and simultaneous turns, it's created a more frustrating enemy to fight than Civ AI. I'm very disappointed, considering people have been playing up this AI as "better than dumbas Civ AI lolol" when instead it's got its own version of unfun bullshit.

This seems less like a difference in difficulty settings and more like a difference in your starting neighbor's personality traits.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I dunno dude, I had these two as neighbors my last game one difficulty level below and they immediately played nice. This one I had to put them down.

That said, I ended up bunkering down and teching to swordsmen spam to win the war, and this entire time the combat AI could've been putting the squeeze on me by ransacking all my poo poo but it didn't. I'm not very impressed by it so far, especially since it also ends up losing sieges by choosing to sally out instead of bunkering down itself.

I guess I'll put the game on hold and wait until the 28th. Honestly it's not feeling as compelling as Civ 6 to me, even with the district and combat systems being slimmed down from Endless Legend's bloat, which was desperately needed.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Well, it's patch day. Where do people look for patch info?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It got delayed a week

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Well, poo poo.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I hope to find a note of "the Huns have been made less bullshit" because super powered short bows and being able to run all over the loving place out of range of melee units is complete nonsense.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

I hope to find a note of "the Huns have been made less bullshit" because super powered short bows and being able to run all over the loving place out of range of melee units is complete nonsense.

Thats what people hoped for irl too but the patch came too late for them

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

you don get none until you make Huns fun

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Just hide behind gigantic city walls and shoot them until they croak op.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Yea I don't really understand the Hun hate. They can't take cities!!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

camoseven posted:

Yea I don't really understand the Hun hate. They can't take cities!!

They can if your districts are laid out so that there's no way to get a unit away from the walls so they all get plinked away by them until you lose and they take the city by default.

The number of spawns of them seems a bit nuts as well. Taking out two bands of 4 is achievable with a few units and a bit of terrain/save scumming, but 4 stacks of 4 spawning from like two territories is a bit much. Must have been a lot of frustrated horse guys hanging around waiting for that extra aesthete star so they could go raiding!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

if you hide behind your walls don't the Huns just raze every connected territory?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I don't think I've ever seen the AI raze unprotected territory and am honestly glad it doesn't, because in harder diffs it already has a stupidly unfair field advantage in terms of raw combat strength and unit count

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

I don't think I've ever seen the AI raze unprotected territory and am honestly glad it doesn't, because in harder diffs it already has a stupidly unfair field advantage in terms of raw combat strength and unit count

I've definitely had the AI raze my outposts in a war (on hard, whatever the difficulty a tick above normal is, i forget what it's called) but I can't remember if they've ever razed districts or extraction sites or anything like that.

I've also finally finished a game (not the hard difficulty one, that was too hard it turns out) and it was fun, but it definitely suffers from the civ thing of everything being more or less sorted out in the first 2/3 of the game, and the rest of it just kinda going through the motions, it feels like. Hopefully they can address this in patches or DLC, but if not, it wouldn't be the first 4x game to have this problem. It's also sort of my fault because I went crazy with warmongering and ended the game via vassalage before I could even build an airplane, so I'll have to try a more peaceful strategy next time to see what the late game is really like I guess. It's also kind of funny that even though I conquered the world, I still only technically got second place, because somewhere early on one of the AI ran away with fame points and I could never touch them. Hell I only just barely beat a civ that got annihilated before the end of the game (and became a vassal of the #1 civ well before that). The fame thing is kind of weird, I have to get used to it still.

I'm also still conflicted about the whole "choose whatever culture you want every era" thing. From a cold logical gameplay point of view, I do like it quite a lot; it's a great way to make unique units relevant throughout the entire game, which I always felt was a shortcoming of civ, and opens up a lot of interesting strategic options for how you want to shape your civ that makes the game really different from the competition. But from a, for lack of a better word, storytelling perspective, I hate it, because it made it hard for me to identify and form attachments with my rivals, which is always a lot of the fun of civ games for me. When the perfidious English suddenly become the perfidious Zulu or whatever, it makes it hard to keep track of who I hate and why. Obviously the avatars stay the same, but they don't really come off as very memorable to me, so it always just becomes "the green nation" which makes me very aware that I'm playing a video game and kind of takes me out of the empire-building power fantasy. I guess the good parts of the system make it all worth it so whatever, i'll deal

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

appropriatemetaphor posted:

if you hide behind your walls don't the Huns just raze every connected territory?

You mean unconnected? I don't think you can raze an administrative center without capturing the city.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Actually I'm surprised administrative centers don't at least have fortifications on their hex. All the fortifications being centered on the main city hub and its districts is cool but why not give attached territories some protection, even if it's only the territorial hub's hex and not attached districts?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Tactical choice between placing the center where it would be most productive to placing it where it can easily be defended/connected to cities walls maybe?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm also still conflicted about the whole "choose whatever culture you want every era" thing. From a cold logical gameplay point of view, I do like it quite a lot; it's a great way to make unique units relevant throughout the entire game, which I always felt was a shortcoming of civ, and opens up a lot of interesting strategic options for how you want to shape your civ that makes the game really different from the competition. But from a, for lack of a better word, storytelling perspective, I hate it, because it made it hard for me to identify and form attachments with my rivals, which is always a lot of the fun of civ games for me. When the perfidious English suddenly become the perfidious Zulu or whatever, it makes it hard to keep track of who I hate and why. Obviously the avatars stay the same, but they don't really come off as very memorable to me, so it always just becomes "the green nation" which makes me very aware that I'm playing a video game and kind of takes me out of the empire-building power fantasy. I guess the good parts of the system make it all worth it so whatever, i'll deal

I found it helpful to assign each AI a colour and symbol, and use it every game. Thalassicus is the red sword nation, I recognize them and know who their leader is.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Staltran posted:

You mean unconnected? I don't think you can raze an administrative center without capturing the city.

You can, it just takes longer than one turn (depending on army strength).

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Good to see the devs are reading my posts and Huns are at least slightly less able to insta spawn 4 stacks of 4 of those fuckers.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

New patch is out and it's a huge, huge upgrade. The AI seems to be much smarter, and they've fixed the balance so there's no obvious winning strategy. In my current game, I got invaded by the Mongols and I lost the war, which never used to happen, so they seized my salt mines. Then I had a major famine and started recruiting citizens into the military, and now we're counter-attacking the Mongols and about to take back the territories.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Patch Notes posted:

CHANGES AND ADDITIONS
Added a “random AI Persona” option when picking opponents.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I'd been playing with the beta patch and the district cost scaling is a lot harsher than it was before I think, plus the stability impact of having adjacent districts makes spamming makers quarters harder. Or maybe I'm just playing on a harder difficulty than before idk.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
No it's definitely a thing. Makes the infrastructure projects (the ones that are buildings but not new districts) somewhat more appealing but it's all still kind of out of wack. I'm not exactly building the +3 gold on plaza buildings because they're great investments... Nonetheless, a step in the good direction IMHO because as it stood before the patch, stability was a non-issue and spamming industrial districts was a no-brainer.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

happier about this than any balance change tbh

Carrot
Jun 17, 2003

The frustrated cannibal... Threw up his hands!

I'd been playing with the beta patch and the district cost scaling is a lot harsher than it was before I think, plus the stability impact of having adjacent districts makes spamming makers quarters harder. Or maybe I'm just playing on a harder difficulty than before idk.

That was something from pre-release that accidentally got added into the beta and is not kept in the fabius maximus update.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

quote:

The number of Territories needed for each Expansionist Era Stars has been adjusted depending the number of Territories on the map and which Era the Empire is (the lower the number of Territories on the map, the lower the number of Territories needed).

HELL yea maybe I'll finally get one of these fuckin stars now lol

cams
Mar 28, 2003

still gonna be rough for folk like me playing on 30% or 40% land maps, but still waaaay better.

excited to play with the new patch, not having the easymode path of picking france and then finishing the tech tree in 30 turns will force me to try new things.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

happier about this than any balance change tbh

does this mean you can finally just play against random ai's without setting them all up? if so that's enough to get me back immediately!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Your Computer posted:

does this mean you can finally just play against random ai's without setting them all up? if so that's enough to get me back immediately!

It's the same screen but you can click the randomize button on each individual slot to get a random AI to fill that slot. It's not perfect (I don't think there's a "randomize all" option) but it's so much better than what we had.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've only had a few minutes to play with it, but it seems like all it does is randomly select from the AI personas that you have downloaded; so it won't create a host of randomly-generated AIs, and I don't think it randomizes the traits of the existing AIs, it just randomly selects from whichever ones you have available.

Also I don't know if this is new with the patch, or if it's always been a feature and i'm just oblivious, but it looks like they tweaked the unit art to reflect the ethnicity of your civ? I noticed when I switched the Zhou, my scout icon had an Asian face, and then I tested it with the Nubians and sure enough they looked African. I wonder if they changed all the unit art in the game, and if it reflects whichever culture you currently happen to be playing as, or if your ancient age pick governs the whole thing?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I played 5 games of this, won only 2 due to the whole "once you hit modern age the game ends in 20 turns" or whatever meant that unless you were in the lead the whole time you're sunk. Its nice to have a civ game you can play in a few hours but i feel the game plays too fast. Like i've never seen a tank or an airplane and I have no idea how you could even get a space victory because of the abbreviated modern age. Even if you're building units every turn and researching every 2 turns its still not enough.

I'll check it out again with this patch but like, I'm glad I got this on gamepass because if i had bought it i'd feel a bit disappointed if i had paid for it. For all its faults I still preferred Civ6. Though there is something to be said for not having to wait an extra hour for your ship to reach the other planet even though you've already won.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Deltasquid posted:

It's the same screen but you can click the randomize button on each individual slot to get a random AI to fill that slot. It's not perfect (I don't think there's a "randomize all" option) but it's so much better than what we had.

Pretty sure there's a randomise all button at the top of the screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gort posted:

Pretty sure there's a randomise all button at the top of the screen

There is, yeah