Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Cenen posted:

I’m kind of surprised there isn’t more talk about the New Jersey governor race honestly. It’s neck and neck and has flipped multiple times and is almost certainly going to end in a recount but that it’s this close is wild. The republican nominee Jack Ciattarelli straight up ran on a platform that the people of New Jersey don’t know what they want and that he would lead them with an iron fist by expansive use of police force…. And people voted for him in droves?!?!. Like I get how that appeals to some people and how the republican nominee is going to draw in votes regardless but like I seriously can’t wrap my head around how enough people thought that sounded good to make the race still uncalled.

The NJ-GOV race is over, New Jersey just can't get its vote-by-mail counts done in a reasonable amount of time:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455903514748760075

The outstanding votes are almost all in Biden +60 areas. Bernie Sanders mentioned something that I didn't know about - as long as the Murphy votes come in as expected, he will be the first Democratic governor to have been re-elected in *40 years*. Obama carried NJ by +15 in 2008, then Chris Christie won it by +3 in 2009. Obama carried NJ by +18 in 2012, yet Christie got re-elected in 2013 by +22.

The general story across-the-board is the Democrats showed up, but Republicans REALLY REALLY showed up, which cut into Democratic suburban margins. Like the tweet I sent earlier, the median American voter is a psychopath with the memory of a goldfish and a submissive kink, so they want BIG TOUGH STRONG DOMINANT PEOPLE.

Now the open question is why NJ shifted even more than VA, is it just standard off-year defections against the president in charge, or are things really hosed? It'll take a few weeks to know, as exit polls are terrible and saying poo poo like Youngkin won hispanic voters by +15 or TMac won hispanic voters by +30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cenen posted:

I’m kind of surprised there isn’t more talk about the New Jersey governor race honestly. It’s neck and neck and has flipped multiple times and is almost certainly going to end in a recount but that it’s this close is wild. The republican nominee Jack Ciattarelli straight up ran on a platform that the people of New Jersey don’t know what they want and that he would lead them with an iron fist by expansive use of police force…. And people voted for him in droves?!?!. Like I get how that appeals to some people and how the republican nominee is going to draw in votes regardless but like I seriously can’t wrap my head around how enough people thought that sounded good to make the race still uncalled.

South Jersey is really really rural...and while I don't have personal experience...also probably really racist.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Thanks for the clarification and the cools tidbits, that part makes more sense now. What I still can’t fully wrap my head around is just how poo poo the platform he ran on was. Like just mask off overruling the will of the people and government suppression. hosed a weird rear end platform like that can get traction even if the republicans are trying to avenge 2020.

Edit:

MazelTovCocktail posted:

South Jersey is really really rural...and while I don't have personal experience...also probably really racist.

What little experience I have with rural New Jersey I found it to be inhabited by the kind of people that wouldn’t sell their 2 bedroom ranch house in bumfuck nowhere despite it being surrounded by multiple Army training areas including one directly across a small street. Like quite possibly spiting distance close of a bunch of goobers shooting thousands of rounds of ammo and yet that’s where they choose to live.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 3, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I mean it's a little alarming but certainly not at all shocking that the american people are so enamored with authoritarians. Leader of the free world indeed

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milo and POTUS posted:

I mean it's a little alarming but certainly not at all shocking that the american people of New Jersey are so enamored with authoritarians.

Fixed that

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

facialimpediment posted:

Like the tweet I sent earlier, the median American voter is a psychopath with the memory of a goldfish and a submissive kink, so they want BIG TOUGH STRONG DOMINANT PEOPLE.

The American electorate has been beaten down by the new never-ending campaign season. It used to be that you got a year's reprieve after elections, but that's not the case anymore. Party politics has been so heavily incorporated into every facet of American society that we've been irreparably tribalized. Both sides just want a break, but all they can process thanks to the widescale brainwashing is "the world would be so much better and QUIETER if the people who didn't agree with me just ~went away~."

And that's terrifying.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

People keep saying they wish Hunter S. Thompson was around to see this, but he already was.

1972 posted:

This may be the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves; finally just lay back and say it—that we are really just a nation of 220 million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns, and no qualms at all about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Various goons also received said mailer. It's legit.

Thanks, I’m surprised this hasn’t been more of a story.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I mean, we can't even agree as a country about an *underage kid* open-carrying an AR-15 in the middle of an already highly-charged environment was a criminal act and served to escalate the situation to the point where people were maimed/killed. You can put out fires and "be a medic" without having an AR slung, and if you think you need it for "self-defense" then maybe you shouldn't be putting yourself in a likely injurious situation in the first place if it's not your job.

I remember a time when even the most hardcore Second Amendment supporters would've been "I just know they're gonna use it as an excuse to take my guns, but that kid had no business being there and being armed." But now, because stanning the kid ~triggers the libs~, it's *a thing*.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

People keep saying they wish Hunter S. Thompson was around to see this, but he already was.

If you took all the names out of Fear and Loathing on the campaign trail, the book would apply to 2020 just as easily as it applied to 72.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The military of Myanmar's Pinochet cosplay junta apparently captured another(!?) batch of rebel-bound 3D-printed guns.

https://twitter.com/Jake_Hanrahan/status/1456013314664935428

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I mean, we can't even agree as a country about an *underage kid* open-carrying an AR-15 in the middle of an already highly-charged environment was a criminal act and served to escalate the situation to the point where people were maimed/killed. You can put out fires and "be a medic" without having an AR slung, and if you think you need it for "self-defense" then maybe you shouldn't be putting yourself in a likely injurious situation in the first place if it's not your job.

I remember a time when even the most hardcore Second Amendment supporters would've been "I just know they're gonna use it as an excuse to take my guns, but that kid had no business being there and being armed." But now, because stanning the kid ~triggers the libs~, it's *a thing*.

Because it triggers the libs or because he murdered "race traitors?"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So...and I'm not saying this in any way justifies anything...but is it true that one of the people he shot actually a sex offender? I just figured it's better to ask here then searching around the internet.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

shame on an IGA posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGofoH9RDEA&t=243s

ASAPI posted:

Thanks, I’m surprised this hasn’t been more of a story.

A likely operating theory of the TMac campaign was that in a Biden +10 state, all you had to do was nationalize the race and you win. So, you send out that mailer to every Democrat and/or Biden-voter that you have data about (obviously not the chuds) and they realize that Youngkin = Trump and they turn out. The trouble is that in 2020, the Republicans had a *really good* down-ballot year and ran ahead of Trump's numbers in a ton of places. So the pitch probably fell completely flat in this environment/economy, though again, TMac is going to get more votes than Northam did in 2017.

Mostly just need to hope for an economic turnaround in 2022 and Democrats never shut up about how it was because of them.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So...and I'm not saying this in any way justifies anything...but is it true that one of the people he shot actually a sex offender? I just figured it's better to ask here then searching around the internet.

Yeah, Joseph Rosenbaum. It sounds like he was mentally ill and had a super crappy life. Of course it’s not like Rittenhouse knew any of this before he decided to play hero and create the conditions wherein he shot three people.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/01/us/kyle-rittenhouse-shooting-victims-trial/index.html

quote:

Rosenbaum battled bipolar disorder and was homeless, according to The Washington Post, which reported he had been discharged from a hospital earlier in the day after a suicide attempt. He had spent more than a decade in prison in Arizona after being convicted of sexual conduct with a minor.
He was not part of the protesters nor the groups of armed men who were also there, the Post reported. He had briefly visited his fiancée after being discharged, to whom he proposed the previous winter in the middle of a busy sidewalk. It was just who he was, she told the Post: "He'd make you laugh out of nowhere."
"He wasn't down there as a rioter or a looter," Rosenbaum's fiancée told the Post in reference to August 25. "Why was he there? I have no answer. I ask myself that question every day."

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yeah, Joseph Rosenbaum. It sounds like he was mentally ill and had a super crappy life. Of course it’s not like Rittenhouse knew any of this before he decided to play hero and create the conditions wherein he shot three people.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/01/us/kyle-rittenhouse-shooting-victims-trial/index.html

Agreed. It was more to confirm what I've heard and not have to see what horrors google brought me. Granted if you do a decade for sexual contact with a minor...then lovely life or not...the person probably is garbo.

Once again not (as you point out) that Rittenhouse knew that or it would have mattered.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

he went by jesus, not joseph. found an old pic of him bowling. 8-year olds, dude

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

What is that alternative treatment? I’m glad you asked.

https://twitter.com/betsey3000/status/1455937726239305733

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

quote:

it apparently provides a negative charge, so it bonds to negative isotopes

As a chemistry teacher, :cry:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1455969128280469510?s=20

Oh, well, if the Pentagon said it was just an "oopsie" guess nothing to be done

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Dum Cumpster posted:

My wife and younger son tested covid positive today, older son and I probably have it, waiting on tests. The information/instructions we're getting from our kids daycare, the high school my wife works for, and our pediatrician is significantly different. Glad we're on top of this pandemic thing.

poo poo, hope you and yours get well, man. Hope you don't suffer any of the bad breakthrough symptoms!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dum Cumpster posted:

My wife and younger son tested covid positive today, older son and I probably have it, waiting on tests. The information/instructions we're getting from our kids daycare, the high school my wife works for, and our pediatrician is significantly different. Glad we're on top of this pandemic thing.

gently caress. Fingers crossed.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You know, it sucks that I worked so hard to preserve human life while 2/3 of the military think it's a loving game.

E- not actually upset, it's just bitterness talking, because it's gross how callous we are with other people's lives.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1455969128280469510?s=20

Oh, well, if the Pentagon said it was just an "oopsie" guess nothing to be done

So… what exactly did you want here?

This wasn’t that egregious of a boo-boo for the drone strike types. It wasn’t a school or a wedding or a funeral. In 20 years of drone strikes, this is.. unremarkable. That tragedy isn’t lost on me, but I also understand why the inquiry determined nothing unlawful occurred.

It’s not quite catch-22 levels of insanity, but it gets close if viewed with a wide enough lens or with a long enough exposure.

No ones head was getting cut off for the last drone strike in Afghanistan that got approved at the CENTCOM command level.

It’s insane, but it just wasn’t ever going to happen. Kind of like how nothing we did wrong in the last 20 years is gonna come to account in some formal way.

I know it’s kinda crazy, but it is what it is.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 4, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Platystemon posted:

He’s got the wrong Clay

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Platystemon posted:

eating literal dirt to own the libs

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ded posted:

He's making molds of his colon.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Duzzy Funlop posted:

poo poo, hope you and yours get well, man. Hope you don't suffer any of the bad breakthrough symptoms!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

gently caress. Fingers crossed.

Thanks, so far just seems like a rough cold. The smaller one seems mostly better already. But we'll see :shrug: definitely wouldn't want to find out what it was like without a vaccine. And I guess my wife has it worse than me because I can still smell lovely diapers.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

ded posted:

At least we won't go back to the days of hookworm being endemic in the south if they're all already taking ivermectin.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arven posted:

At least we won't go back to the days of hookworm being endemic in the south if they're all already taking ivermectin.

The U.S. never truly eliminated it.

It just got pushed out of sight and out of mind, to poor black communities.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

The U.S. never truly eliminated it.

It just got pushed out of sight and out of mind, to poor black communities.

Ah, so the system works!

On a similar note- ProPublica did another solid journalistic feat and did a huge expose on "sacrifice zones" where the air that people breathe is packed full of carcinogens and toxic chemicals. And guess what-

quote:

In all, ProPublica identified more than a thousand hot spots of cancer-causing air. They are not equally distributed across the country. A quarter of the 20 hot spots with the highest levels of excess risk are in Texas, and almost all of them are in Southern states known for having weaker environmental regulations. Census tracts where the majority of residents are people of color experience about 40% more cancer-causing industrial air pollution on average than tracts where the residents are mostly white. In predominantly Black census tracts, the estimated cancer risk from toxic air pollution is more than double that of majority-white tracts.

Why, it's almost like environmental racism is real!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Dum Cumpster posted:

Thanks, so far just seems like a rough cold. The smaller one seems mostly better already. But we'll see :shrug: definitely wouldn't want to find out what it was like without a vaccine. And I guess my wife has it worse than me because I can still smell lovely diapers.

At last, you've finally been pozzed

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Time Crisis Actor posted:

At last, you've finally been pozzed

Decades of begging on Xbox live

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It appears that the NJ Senate Leader got beaten by a GOP truck driver that spent about $200 on the campaign, but nobody's really sad to see him go as he was always fighting with progressives and the governor.

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1456289734490271749?t=OMlLNJhkuzWo2wYGm0KLgA&s=19

:shrug: at least it's funny!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

It appears that the NJ Senate Leader got beaten by a GOP truck driver that spent about $200 on the campaign, but nobody's really sad to see him go as he was always fighting with progressives and the governor.

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1456289734490271749?t=OMlLNJhkuzWo2wYGm0KLgA&s=19

:shrug: at least it's funny!

It's exceptionally funny.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2021/11/03/marine-corps-talent-management-2030/

quote:

Gen. David H. Berger, commandant of the Marine Corps, said that he sees no alternative but to pivot away from a system that through multiple wars has prioritized massing a “young, physically tough, replaceable force” that was “not all that highly skilled.” For the past 35 years, Berger said, the service has turned over about 75 percent of its force each year, rotating annually through thousands of young enlisted Marines who join for four years, while other services retain a higher percentage of troops.

“We’re the anomaly, and we brag about it — and I think it’s worked for us,” Berger said. “It will not work for us going forward, I don’t think.”

Berger said the Marine Corps is going to have to “treat people like human beings instead of inventory,” making it appealing for more who already have experience to stay. There is urgency to do so, he said, because rising challenges such as China will require mature, experienced service members who possess multiple skills and can act on their own in the absence of communications with higher headquarters.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It's exceptionally funny.

But how do we blame progressive Democrats?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Stultus Maximus posted:

they clearly didn't go far enough right to try and reach trump voters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh god that's easy. The Defund The Police Marxists tanked things so bad that this guy lost to a Republican who only spent $200.