Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't recall DUNC actually showing the weirding way (was one of my complaints). Just looked like normal fighting but Jessica comes out on top and Stilgar calls her a weirding woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't recall DUNC actually showing the weirding way (was one of my complaints). Just looked like normal fighting but Jessica comes out on top and Stilgar calls her a weirding woman.
Without the interior view that's basically what it looks like. Lynch showing it with weird rear end sound blasters is entirely unsupported from the book. I believe Paul thinking 'my name is a killing word' comes from people screaming 'Muad'dib' as they stab either training dummies or skirmishers to death.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Groovelord Neato posted:

There’s not really any such thing as “the weirding way”. “Weirding” is just the Fremen way of referring to offplanet things that strike them as sinister, magical and powerful. The wet conservatory in the governor’s palace is a “weirding room” to the Fremen for the same reason that Jessica is a “weirding woman” for kicking Stilgar’s rear end and that the Voice is a “weirding voice”. That is, because it’s weird that she could do that. When the Fremen talk about the “weirding way” Paul taught them they just mean that he instructed them in Atreides and BG combat styles which made them better at fighting, but they also mean that they themselves invest this training with a quality of magic.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

No Mods No Masters posted:

Denis dune does make me appreciate more why lynch didn't want to open that can of worms. There's probably not any director living who could have squared the circle of all the other requirements plus good at directing knife fights

Maybe Whedon, at least circa a decade+ ago? I remember him being good at directing action on a budget. Avengers was the last thing I saw from him, though.

Groovelord Neato posted:

There is no "weirding way". That's just the fremen superstitious term for "witchcraft".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fuschia tude posted:

Maybe Whedon, at least circa a decade+ ago? I remember him being good at directing action on a budget. Avengers was the last thing I saw from him, though.

oh .... no

:can:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

skasion posted:

When the Fremen talk about the “weirding way” Paul taught them they just mean that he instructed them in Atreides and BG combat styles which made them better at fighting, but they also mean that they themselves invest this training with a quality of magic.

i thought it referred specifically to fighting using prana bindu training that enables people to move at unnatural speeds and seem like they are "teleporting" short distances

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

No Mods No Masters posted:

Denis dune does make me appreciate more why lynch didn't want to open that can of worms. There's probably not any director living who could have squared the circle of all the other requirements plus good at directing knife fights

I'd give away multiple organs to be in the timeline that has George Miller's Dune with Yayan Ruhian choreographing.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 4, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I'd give away multiple organs to be in the timeline that has George Miller's Dune.
Do not, my friends, become addicted to water

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nessus posted:

Without the interior view that's basically what it looks like. Lynch showing it with weird rear end sound blasters is entirely unsupported from the book. I believe Paul thinking 'my name is a killing word' comes from people screaming 'Muad'dib' as they stab either training dummies or skirmishers to death.

yeah i thought he was just referring to the overall idea of people yelling his name as they go into battle

one of the reasons i dont like lynch's sound gun thing is it changes that line from a poignant thought about the responsibilities of being a messiah that people will die for, into just a literal description of magic technology

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

There’s not really any such thing as “the weirding way”. “Weirding” is just the Fremen way of referring to offplanet things that strike them as sinister, magical and powerful. The wet conservatory in the governor’s palace is a “weirding room” to the Fremen for the same reason that Jessica is a “weirding woman” for kicking Stilgar’s rear end and that the Voice is a “weirding voice”. That is, because it’s weird that she could do that. When the Fremen talk about the “weirding way” Paul taught them they just mean that he instructed them in Atreides and BG combat styles which made them better at fighting, but they also mean that they themselves invest this training with a quality of magic.

:actually:

Although correct in how the Fremen use the term Weirding, there is a Bene Gesserit martial arts called The Weirding Way. The idea is that through intense mental focus, the user can move so fast that it appears they're teleporting. From my understanding its not so much a style of knife fighting, more like improving your current knife fighting by being able to teleport. it was the kicker that took the Fremen from being badass to supremely badass. There's two demonstrations of it in the new Dunc Paul sees himself using it during the stiltent prophecy scene, where he is dance fighting over the sardaurkar and his visor pops up. and technically Jessica was supposed to use it when she flipped over Stilgar at the end, but it just sorta looks like regular fighting

They should've used the 6 million dollar man bionic sound effect when it happened

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Do Fremen armies use shields while going on Jihad? I see them just announcing to a planet that they're just going to land and start stabbin', and if anyone uses a shield, just lasgun it and blow up the place Death Star style.

Do the Fremen learn that the slow blade penetrates the shield, or do the other militant groups of the known universe try and die at fighting fast without shields?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

YoursTruly posted:

Do Fremen armies use shields while going on Jihad?
yes

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

YoursTruly posted:

Do Fremen armies use shields while going on Jihad? I see them just announcing to a planet that they're just going to land and start stabbin', and if anyone uses a shield, just lasgun it and blow up the place Death Star style.

Do the Fremen learn that the slow blade penetrates the shield, or do the other militant groups of the known universe try and die at fighting fast without shields?

Good questions. Fremen 100% do not use shields on Arrakis; Shields attract worms. i don't know if its perfectly spelled out in the books, but I would assume that they adopt shields during the Jihad.

IIRC re: Jihad, I think a lot of the fighting was like the battle of Arrakeen. A lotta Fremen dropping in from orbit over noble houses to wipe out noble armies. IIRC there is some mention of the people rising up to support the Jihad, so it wasn't the same as conquering the known universe. IIRC the noble houses use whatever they possibly can to stop the jihad: shield+lasguns, traditional explosives, house atomics which I'm not clear about - the 2nd book mentions stone burners. I believe that they're different than house atomics, insomuch that stone burners are far more prevalent and were used industrially? I'm 100% not the expert in this thread, but I believe actual descriptions about Fremen fighting get dropped after Arrakis, so its all a little subjective.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

just ate an edible and saw it again in the afternoon imax before it's replaced by this eternals poo poo they're trying so hard to sell, second time in imax and the sound is mindsplittingly good, just incredible, the best audio experience since Fury Road, certainly the loudest. the harvester scene and the entire last half hour are so well paced that it just bowls me over. audience laughed at the michael bay ambulance trailer and the tacky matt damon crypto.com ad

I'm skipping out of work early (salaried computer toucher) to go see it in about an hour for its very last showing at my local IMAX. This will be showing #2.9 for me. First showing was awesome, second showing, right at the climax of the scene where the sandworm is chasing Paul, the screen went dark, the lights came on, and the fire alarm started going off. Water from the rainstorm we were having had shorted out something in the alarm system. They weren't able to restart the movie, so that counts as .9 :D I've watched it at home since then on an OLED screen with a nice sound system. Subtitles were nice, but neither the visuals nor the audio have the same impact or sense of presence that IMAX does.

Looking forward to seeing the whole thing again on a giant screen and earsplitting audio. Especially since I love this franchise and this movie, and this is very likely the last time I'll ever be able to see it at this scale again. Maybe they'll do a limited run re-release before the next one, but I'm not counting on it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
in the book Paul initially has trouble fighting Jamis because Paul is used to fighting against shields and Jamis doesn't use one. so Paul has to adapt his style to compensate.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Earwicker posted:

i thought it referred specifically to fighting using prana bindu training that enables people to move at unnatural speeds and seem like they are "teleporting" short distances

Imagining Michael Jackson dance moves x 100 speed but also moonwalks a knife into your aorta

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

kiimo posted:

Imagining Michael Jackson dance moves x 100 speed but also moonwalks a knife into your aorta

“I will bend like a reed in the wind”

*does Smooth Criminal lean*

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nessus posted:

Roll 1d8 and consult the chart below:

1 - Ignores the Islamic roots of its source material
2 - Appropriates the Islamic roots of its source material
3 - Jessica cries too much
4 - Jessica cries too little
5 - Refusal to endorse systems of hierarchy in fantasy narrative
6 - Actually, the Harkonnens were good (bonus sietch water option)
7 - Unrealistic due to portrayal of human survival
8 - Reflexive hatred of mouse

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

It’s not really shown directly, but it’s implied. Duncan says, of the Fremen he fought 1:1, “let me tell you, I have never come so close to dying”. This is coming from someone who has squared off against Sardaukar (generally considered the finest fighters in the Imperium), and who takes on a whole room full of them later. Stilgar is the leader of his tribe, and “the strongest leads,” so presumably he is one of the best Fremen fighters. Jessica disarms him handily.

/colinrobinson

Azathoth Prime fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 4, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Azathoth Prime posted:

/colinrobinson

This really needs an emoji :haw:

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

priznat posted:

This really needs an emoji :haw:

Agreed. Somebody with art skills make one and I'll buy it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vampire Panties posted:

Good questions. Fremen 100% do not use shields on Arrakis; Shields attract worms. i don't know if its perfectly spelled out in the books, but I would assume that they adopt shields during the Jihad.

IIRC re: Jihad, I think a lot of the fighting was like the battle of Arrakeen. A lotta Fremen dropping in from orbit over noble houses to wipe out noble armies. IIRC there is some mention of the people rising up to support the Jihad, so it wasn't the same as conquering the known universe. IIRC the noble houses use whatever they possibly can to stop the jihad: shield+lasguns, traditional explosives, house atomics which I'm not clear about - the 2nd book mentions stone burners. I believe that they're different than house atomics, insomuch that stone burners are far more prevalent and were used industrially? I'm 100% not the expert in this thread, but I believe actual descriptions about Fremen fighting get dropped after Arrakis, so its all a little subjective.
To answer your atomics question: stone burners are specialized atomics which I believe have industrial uses, and are mostly used for their side effect of melting everyone's eyes since at that point the anti-Paul guys were just getting weird with it. In principle the stone burner could have destroyed Arrakis, and given the context I assume this was known from, you know, an example of someone doing it

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
They straight up say that paul ordered planets destroyed in the jihad.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Alderaan? That's just breakfast.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

kiimo posted:

Alderaan? That's just breakfast.

69 billion killed across the imperium

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

ArmZ posted:

69 billion killed across the imperium

nice

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vampire Panties posted:

:actually:

Although correct in how the Fremen use the term Weirding, there is a Bene Gesserit martial arts called The Weirding Way.

:actually: :actually: no there isn't, at least not in books 1-4 (I don't have ebooks of chapterhouse or heretics, so can't search em). "Weirding way" is used in Dune to refer to the training Paul and Jessica give the Fremen, the word "weirding" does not appear in Messiah, Children or God Emp.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Glad to find out I pronounce "incal" like jodo

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

the "teleport short distances" thing is specifically from the SciFi miniseries. Not sure if it gets much play in the original but it's definitely in Children.

Paul is described in the novel as "blindingly fast," and when Jamis goes to strike him he dodges so quickly that Jamis never comes close to connecting. So it's not exactly unsupported, but everything Paul does in combat is super fast, he's just that young and well trained. Feyd is similarly trained/in shape, and it's a fairly even fight between them, although Paul had seen way more combat in the days/hours before.

e: and when Paul locks eyes with Fenring they both understand that Fenring is capable of killing him, partly through his invisibility to Paul's prescience, partly because Paul just fought a tiring duel, but mostly because he's similarly skilled.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 5, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Earwicker posted:

i have to admit. while i still overall prefer the lynch version and i am a sound designer and love the idea of sonic weaponry in a scifi setting

however

"weirding way" as martial arts >>> "weirding way" as ugly little guns that shoot sounds

lynch's instinct to say he didn't want to see "kung fu on sand dunes" was wrong. both in terms of keeping in the spirit of the book and in terms of aesthetics.

tragically it came like a decade to early for him to have it both ways and make Dune Equilibrium

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Prolonged Panorama posted:

the "teleport short distances" thing is specifically from the SciFi miniseries. Not sure if it gets much play in the original but it's definitely in Children.

Paul is described in the novel as "blindingly fast," and when Jamis goes to strike him he dodges so quickly that Jamis never comes close to connecting. So it's not exactly unsupported, but everything Paul does in combat is super fast, he's just that young and well trained.

Isn’t there also a point in the Jamis duel where Paul misses because he’s so used to shield-fighting and having to slow down the killing stroke?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Yup, he's conditioned to slow his counterattacks and that's what gives Jamis time to escape. That's why the Fremen think he's toying with him - impossibly fast dodges, no chance Jamis can hit him, and then on the counterpunch Paul slows way down and lets him escape, over and over.

Jessica also notes that when Paul dodges he angles his body as if he were wearing a shield and expecting it to help deflect the blow, had it come faster or unavoidably. He's quick enough that it ends up not mattering.

e: it should be noted that the fact that Jamis can escape Paul's counters show how fast and good a fighter he is himself. He's just not a match for Paul, almost nobody is.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 5, 2021

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ingmar terdman posted:

Glad to find out I pronounce "incal" like jodo

I've been thinking of it as "jorodowsky" and not "jodorowsky."
It's good to be corrected, but it means I can't call him "my man J-Rod"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tree Bucket posted:

I've been thinking of it as "jorodowsky" and not "jodorowsky."
It's good to be corrected, but it means I can't call him "my man J-Rod"

you still can; we don't mind

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I finally saw it.

It was so good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mister Speaker posted:

I finally saw it.

It was so good.

Right?!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

I finally saw it.

It was so good.

You're going to start thinking about it and hearing some complaints and then think man I really do think I could have used more Feyd and Baron stuff or...

Never forget how loving good it is.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

Panfilo posted:

Though I did wonder -

Baron promised not to kill Jessica. But isn't his roundabout way of dealing with her going to be super obvious to a bunch of psychic nun ladies? He's wary enough not to openly defy them, I feel like trying to rules lawyer your way through the problem won't work.

The Jews rules lawyer with Yahweh, Baron can rules lawyer with the Jesserit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

GRRM shamelessly stole wierding way with water dancing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Hosting some folks for a viewing party of ⊃⋃⋂⊂ and trying to get some ideas for theme relevant snacks.

Any suggestions on top of these are welcome:

Muad'Dip - Hummus + Carrots
Water of Life - Margarita with Blue Curacao
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Chai-Hulud