Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Sanguinia posted:

I need to get out of this hellhole country. I'm not going to lives the rest of my professional life teaching fascist-mandated propaganda and hurting LGBTQ kids for a paycheck.

Even if it is incredibly dishonest, couching "anti-CRT" as pro-equality, anti-racist, and in favor of a "neutral and factual" approach to history/race relations is probably a very smart way to frame it. Especially given that polls show that upwards of 85% of Americans don't know what CRT actually is, so you will be defining it for a lot of them.

It also helps Republican congressional candidates with their huge losses among the "open to voting for Republicans, but not for someone perceived as racist" demographic during the past 5 years.

Edit:

The Senate is debating the Sunshine Protection Act to end the switch back from daylight savings time. Biden says he would sign it and Marco Rubio is cosponsoring with Democrats.

https://twitter.com/elwasson/status/1456339567615873029

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Thanks, that's definitely an interesting analysis. I suspect the distribution is even starker at the Congressional district level--I suspect the numbers of people who would benefit are heavily concentrated in urban areas that already heavily vote Democratic, and not so much in rural areas, for example--and presumably so would support. But I'll admit I have no data to support that.

The Grinnell College survey has crosstabs for city/suburb/town/rural - city has the highest rate on full forgiveness and lowest for no forgiveness (37/19), suburbs are bad (22/33), towns are average (27/27), rural is TERRIBLE (18/40). The other poll doesn't have a similar crosstab, but you can extrapolate for sure.

VitalSigns posted:

I'm just going to stop you right here: did you really just find data showing that two of the states that would benefit most from student loan reduction were critical swing states in 2020, 2016, and/or 2012 and write that off as worthless.

And are you actually arguing Democrats should just openly announce they have no intentions of helping anyone in a state that didn't vote for them for president because that sounds like a bad strategy. Although I guess it's hardly a novel one, they seem to have a hard-on for leaving implementation of federal programs up to states so Dems can run on providing them to their states while counting on GOP governors to deny them to anyone living somewhere Dems don't have to give a poo poo about. If you are really jonesing so bad to make sure any student loan forgiveness doesn't help the chuds (and all the minorities) in Mississippi just require the governor to countersign any federal forgiveness bing bong simple. Maximum efficiency of doing as little to help as few people as possible achieved

I'm not saying what they should or shouldn't do or should or shouldn't announce - I personally think that student debt relief is a good policy, even though I won't personally benefit from it and don't plan to have children. However, a sizable contingent of the thread put forward the idea that policies have to be broadly applicable to have any impact on selfish/"selfish" voters

Terminal autist posted:

I don't like the narrative that the VA dems were super progressive or that Americans are just inherently conservative. I'm sure they passed some good stuff in VA but people are greedy, like I personally don't give a poo poo about the price of insulin or whatever culture war poo poo is going on about bathrooms and same thing about tax credits for kids. The dems need to actually address peoples material needs, put 600 dollars in my account monthly, give me housing, legalize weed and mail me an oz of dope a month. Actually do some poo poo you can point towards and say look at what we did and will get people pissed if its taken away from them

Lib and let die posted:

I can answer for myself, bud, but thanks.

Yes. I have not, and will continue to not be shy about my feeling that the child tax credit is not enough of a reparative measure for all Americans, simply based on the fact that it is a "child tax credit" and not a "tax credit for everyone."

My hope is that the democrats will do something to discharge the $40,000 worth of medical debt I took on during the pandemic.

Fister Roboto posted:

You're completely missing their point, which is that the vast majority of voters don't care or care very little about things that don't affect them personally. They aren't going to be motivated to vote on *just* a platform of protecting and extending trans rights, as an example, even if that's the right thing to do! It would be awesome if they did, but they don't. You need to do something to help them out to get their vote, like UBI. And hey, you know what would help trans folks out a ton? UB loving I. It's a win-win.

Kraftwerk posted:

You don't say "No I'm not gonna answer that". You're being too nice.

You say "Right now when you go to the hospital you could face a 100,000 bill for a health issue that isn't your fault. I'm going to sort it out for you, we have very smart people on our team who know we can pay for it without raising your taxes"

And you keep repeating the talking point... You don't say you're not gonna answer or that you don't know. You stick to the message. It's intellectually dishonest. It won't fly in Debate club. But guess what? Your audience doesn't give a poo poo. Just keep promising free poo poo without telling anyone what it costs and people will show up and vote for it. You're not here to score intellectual points or get a good grade in your university level political science class... Disabuse yourself of this notion.

You're here to be a demagogue who is using policy planks to stir up deep emotional desires in the general population who is far easier to manipulate and far more numerous than a few academics in New England and Delaware. They don't care about how the sausage is made. They just want to know what they need to do to get something they want. And you are the one, the only one who can give it to them.

The take away here is that even without any dumb technocrat stuff, the "student debt jubilee" policy won't move the needle - it isn't beneficial to 87% of people and a fairly large proportion of them would feel slighted. If you want an unimpeachable policy, you have to find a way to tie the student debt relief stuff with something that would benefit people with no student loans, or you are gonna piss off the blue-collar workers and the scholarship-getters that won't benefit

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 4, 2021

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Abner Assington posted:

Not a teacher, but same. The brain drain in this country would be loving intense if the whole "If you don't like it, you can leave" mentality were as easy to realize as they think.

Close with two teachers, one quit last year, one is at the end of this year, neither had a plan for after besides “be much happier”.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

I need to get out of this hellhole country. I'm not going to lives the rest of my professional life teaching fascist-mandated propaganda and hurting LGBTQ kids for a paycheck.

My wife quit teaching in Broward County a few years back. The hysteria that had been instilled in the 3rd graders she was teaching just absolutely broke her heart. Being forced to teach kids in a moldy, damp trailer where she could simply gently push a hole through the damp wall didn't help either. I can only imagine the poo poo that's going to end up in the curricula. It's too bad she doesn't keep up with many of her former coworkers, I'd be really interested in finding out how much, if any, panic still exists among the Hatian communities with Trump out but Biden kicking Hatians out at record rates up until just last month.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is such a bizarre example to use for something they can do a legitimate story about.

Where have these people been getting milk for $1.99? According to Google, the average price of milk in 1990 was $2.39.

Also, 12 gallons of milk per week for two people?!?!

This is a promotional tweet by the actual CNN anchor and not someone making fun of it.

https://twitter.com/brikeilarcnn/status/1456227125346832384

They're caring for nine kids - two biological kids, six adopted kids, and one foster kid. Several of which seem to be at least high school age.

They're still drinking more than one gallon of milk per person per week, but the numbers are a little less ridiculous that way. And they're not just drinking it, either - they bought at least half a dozen boxes of cereal and a large box of Oreos. I don't get the impression they do a lot of real cooking.

Of course, we don't see everything they bought. For one thing, while they were out at the grocery store, they also ordered grocery delivery from a different store so that there would be groceries waiting on the front doorstep when they got home from their grocery shopping.

Even with all that taken into consideration, their grocery bill has still risen significantly - but it's hitting them so hard because their grocery bill is so high in the first place.

There's one other point that separates them from the average middle-class family, though. Although they're spending a lot of money to feed all those kids, most of them are adopted or fostered, and most states pay parents for that. We don't know what state they're in, but the father is wearing a Milwaukee cap. If they're in Wisconsin, the state pays somewhere between $250 and $500 a month per adopted or fostered child. On top of that, the child tax credit is bringing in another $200-$300 per child - and has been a significant economic relief for them, as the CNN anchors have since noted on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/brikeilarcnn/status/1456286975623933971

As a side note, the reporters are getting very argumentative on Twitter in support of their "beautifully-filmed doc" about this "charming" (white) family , and it's pretty funny.
https://twitter.com/brikeilarcnn/status/1456317866135928842
https://twitter.com/brikeilarcnn/status/1456323994286759944
https://twitter.com/brikeilarcnn/status/1456323479712768000

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Lib and let die posted:

What should the media be? It sounds like a lot of people are expecting fawning coverage with a footnote that some things aren't going as well as planned.

For me, I want to see the media holding the people "we" elect accountable, not doing PR work for them. Adversarial coverage is good, and it shouldn't have stopped the moment Trump was voted out.

But at this point, I'll settle for them taking the knives out over the price of milk, because they're not going to cover anything of worth that could damage Biden, because doing actual damage to Biden is doing actual damage to Capital.

This just reads like "WHY ISN'T SHEP SMITH BEING NICE TO MY PRESIDENT TRUMP!?!?!" but from the other aisle.

I disagree with your premise as it relates to this one specific video, because I don't think this video is "adversarial." I think it's amateurish in its execution and cowardly in its message

1. It doesn't tell you anything you don't know. High food prices are a nationwide reality right now, so the fact that high food prices are especially hard on people who buy a lot of food isn't some incomprehensible logical leap.
2. There's no substance. Alright, these folks are having a tough time buying food. Now what? Why are the prices still rising? What does good governance look like? Who is trying to solve the problem? Can the problem even be solved in the short term?
3. The reporter can't articulate his own message. We spend the whole segment with this family, and then the reporter quickly follows it up with references to politicians and economists (which ones?) who say that prices will come down next year. Except we, the audience, don't get to hear from any of them. He doesn't conduct an interview with one of these economists, or include clips of government officials discussing inflation, or even cite a specific source on the claim of the inflation rate decreasing in the event that someone wanted to examine their reasoning.
Instead, he quickly pivots to pointing out that the real story is "uncertainty" with all the conviction of a high school student BSing their way through a term paper.

The reason I called it cowardly is that the reporter clearly wanted to make a segment that would appeal to folks who think the President has a giant "Inflation Level" lever on his desk that he's not using, while also leaving out any of the genuine substance that would make it possible to challenge his stances. It's an entirely useless piece of television.

Main Paineframe posted:

We don't know what state they're in, but the father is wearing a Milwaukee cap.
They say the family lives in Texas. That's the logo of Milwaukee Tools on his cap.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I know that Twitter requires hot takes and hyperbolic statements, less than 1% of Americans actually use it regularly, etc. etc.

But, I still find it weird that there is apparently a contingent of people - who are writers for the NYT, Politico, and Washington Post no less - that think the Sunshine Protection Act would usher in a nightmare world of horror.

https://twitter.com/PattyMurray/status/1456335127462748171

https://twitter.com/suellentrop/status/1456343634257842181
https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1456342051201687555
https://twitter.com/aduehren/status/1456343219470471171

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 4, 2021

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
It always gets so mean when people start second guessing people's spending decisions. It's one of the worst parts about any piece exploring a family's budget limitations.

Sometimes scorn is deserved, but people really don't hold back if it's a stranger even if they don't realize the full scope of what they don't know.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

It always gets so mean when people start second guessing people's spending decisions. It's one of the worst parts about any piece exploring a family's budget limitations.

Sometimes scorn is deserved, but people really don't hold back if it's a stranger even if they don't realize the full scope of what they don't know.

People don’t want to accidentally extend sympathy to someone who isn’t going to Civic Heaven because then (???) would happen and we don’t want that.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

Yeah, it's gross, and it's yet another style of rhetoric that used to be confined to rightwing pieholes & fingers.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

I know that Twitter requires hot takes and hyperbolic statements, less than 1% of Americans actually use it regularly, etc. etc.

But, I still find it weird that there is apparently a contingent of people - who are writers for the NYT, Politico, and Washington Post no less - that think the Sunshine Protection Act would usher in a nightmare world of horror.

It's actually true, though - we did try it, and people really loving hated it. Like, absolutely stop switching time back and forth, but making it permanently daylight saving time is just going to lead to the same problems we saw back in the 70s as soon as people realize they're having to send their kids to school in pretty much complete darkness.

You know, in places that aren't Alaska.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So why don't we pin it to the other direction, where it gets lighter earlier and also darker earlier? Just stop with the switching already

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

So why don't we pin it to the other direction, where it gets lighter earlier and also darker earlier? Just stop with the switching already

The people in support of permanent DST generally cite the studies on improved health, energy usage, and crime for why they want permanent DST over permanent ST.

(Plus, the obvious not switching times back and forth)

https://twitter.com/PattyMurray/status/1456335469399134210

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

haveblue posted:

Because it gets dark too early in certain areas when it's the other way around.

This is basically a fight between people in areas where it gets dark too early vs. areas where it is dark too late in the morning. (oversimplification here)

AKA the easternmost people in timezones vs. westernmost.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
If this administration passed permanent DST I will call it a win

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lib and let die posted:

You don't even need to leave the google search result page to know why we're sending interlopers to Nicaragua.

Why is the US loving around in Nicaraguan elections? Well,

ortega and the sandinistas have been in power multiple times and ortega personally for ~15 of the last 20 years. it's not really the same as the standard 'a leftist gain some power, regime change them!' foreign policy

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Changing clocks is legitimately a nightmare in terms of broad-scale medical effects on the country* and the sooner it is gone, the better.

I am unsurprised that the least useful people in the country want to keep it.

*quick summary, it wreaks havoc on people with regular medication schedules especially the elderly (who can have severe problems from a dose being an hour early/late); it fucks up traffic and shipping by messing with everyone on the road’s circadian rhythms; it correlates with an increase in domestic violence as people are an hour less of sleep more irritable; all that, and more, so that…??????
WHO BENEFITS FROM KEEPING THIS DUMB poo poo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

God I loving hate having to get up in the dark. It sucks rear end. I’m not sure why these people want to send their kids to school in total darkness but fine.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

ortega and the sandinistas have been in power multiple times and ortega personally for ~15 of the last 20 years. it's not really the same as the standard 'a leftist gain some power, regime change them!' foreign policy

How long has the house of Saud been in power? Oh I guess that’s not really a factor then.

It really is just economic warfare and the desire to insist there’s some good reason the US is interfering in an upcoming election on a scale that dwarfs whatever Russia did in ‘16 is hilarious. Scraping the bottom of the barrel to defend the empire is not a good look! You can just say it’s lovely and not our business rather than doing unpaid unwitting Raytheon internships in front of all of us.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ortega sucks and is essentially a dictator but US sanctions are like the worst possible thing. All that will do is make a bad situation worse for the people there. gently caress that.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

haveblue posted:

This is literally what we should do - most of the negative health effects and whatnot are due to the time changing, not whether it's standard or daylight saving time. You'd avoid a lot of the problems just by stopping the time change, and it's worth a shot to try year-round standard time considering that we already did this song and dance with permanent DST and it failed miserably.

How are u posted:

Somehow the citizens of Alaska and Canada manage to live with it, and the world keeps on turning. People are surprisingly flexible.

Again - we already tried this, and people did adapt. By changing the law back to what it was previously. I don't see any reason to suspect it'll be different this time.

And I'll say again - I'm 1000% in favor of stopping the time change, I just think we should try permanent standard time.

Lager fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 4, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lager posted:

You know, in places that aren't Alaska.

Somehow the citizens of Alaska and Canada manage to live with it, and the world keeps on turning. People are surprisingly flexible.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sax Mortar posted:

Because it gets dark too early in certain areas when it's the other way around.

This is basically a fight between people in areas where it gets dark too early vs. areas where it is dark too late in the morning. (oversimplification here)

AKA the easternmost people in timezones vs. westernmost.

OK, let's redivide America into two time zones, DST and ST, cut where mountain meets central today

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

FlamingLiberal posted:

God I loving hate having to get up in the dark. It sucks rear end. I’m not sure why these people want to send their kids to school in total darkness but fine.

I prefer getting up in the dark vs. having sunset at 4pm

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Baronash posted:

I disagree with your premise as it relates to this one specific video, because I don't think this video is "adversarial." I think it's amateurish in its execution and cowardly in its message

1. It doesn't tell you anything you don't know. High food prices are a nationwide reality right now, so the fact that high food prices are especially hard on people who buy a lot of food isn't some incomprehensible logical leap.
2. There's no substance. Alright, these folks are having a tough time buying food. Now what? Why are the prices still rising? What does good governance look like? Who is trying to solve the problem? Can the problem even be solved in the short term?
3. The reporter can't articulate his own message. We spend the whole segment with this family, and then the reporter quickly follows it up with references to politicians and economists (which ones?) who say that prices will come down next year. Except we, the audience, don't get to hear from any of them. He doesn't conduct an interview with one of these economists, or include clips of government officials discussing inflation, or even cite a specific source on the claim of the inflation rate decreasing in the event that someone wanted to examine their reasoning.
Instead, he quickly pivots to pointing out that the real story is "uncertainty" with all the conviction of a high school student BSing their way through a term paper.

The reason I called it cowardly is that the reporter clearly wanted to make a segment that would appeal to folks who think the President has a giant "Inflation Level" lever on his desk that he's not using, while also leaving out any of the genuine substance that would make it possible to challenge his stances. It's an entirely useless piece of television.

They say the family lives in Texas. That's the logo of Milwaukee Tools on his cap.

Yeah, this is reasonable, and it's definitely not an ideal criticism of Biden or what he can reasonably do because to do that would require criticism of capital itself and that's...just not the kind of person that gets hired at CNN. But I use the word 'transactional' because it is momentarily useful if nothing else. I don't expect to find Anderson Cooper standing next to me on the picket line singing 16 tons, but corporate media has at least provided a useful jumping off point for the terminally-online politics brained to start a deeper discussion with The Average, Offline CNN Viewer if not on the failures of the system as a whole but as to why they should be just as critical of CNN or MSNBC's motives to publish a given story as they are of FOX's. If you're dealing with someone that willingly adopts the label of liberal you likely have a better chance on finding some common ground if it's built on criticism by a source that they find trustworthy.

Hell, you can have a productive conversation with a dyed-in-the-wool, true believer Trump voter about the corporate influence on news media if you coach it in the right language and approach it from an angle they're already receptive to.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

If this administration passed permanent DST I will call it a win

Begrudgingly, :same:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't love getting up in the dark, but having it dark before I get home in winter makes me totally miserable. Just makes it feel like the day is completely over.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I live in Seattle where we get both the super late sunrise and super early sunsets at the same time and it makes our daylight hours hilariously short. 1000 years of darkness upon us as we declare SAD is a baby back bitch and activate hard mode looking like goofy going "I'll fukken do it again" as we drop to 6 hours of daylight on the solstice

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Schools are prisons anyway.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

HonorableTB posted:

I live in Seattle where we get both the super late sunrise and super early sunsets at the same time and it makes our daylight hours hilariously short. 1000 years of darkness upon us as we declare SAD is a baby back bitch and activate hard mode looking like goofy going "I'll fukken do it again" as we drop to 6 hours of daylight on the solstice

People always say you can’t judge the past by modern standards but I know my rear end in a top hat ancestors weren’t snow leopards or nothing and they still planted us in Iowa. They were dumb for that.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

selec posted:

How long has the house of Saud been in power? Oh I guess that’s not really a factor then.

It really is just economic warfare and the desire to insist there’s some good reason the US is interfering in an upcoming election on a scale that dwarfs whatever Russia did in ‘16 is hilarious. Scraping the bottom of the barrel to defend the empire is not a good look! You can just say it’s lovely and not our business rather than doing unpaid unwitting Raytheon internships in front of all of us.
I'm struggling to imagine what interference could be bigger than arresting, forcing into exile, and suspending the campaigns of 9 of your 10 opponents.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

HonorableTB posted:

I've lived with 3.5 hours of daylight in the depth of winter and while it's ~not great~ you do kind of get used to it. Living a cozy life inside, wrapped in eternal darkness.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

haveblue posted:

OK, let's redivide America into two time zones, DST and ST, cut where mountain meets central today

nah, let's just divide each time zone in half and make them half hour increments

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

but there should be some genuine domestic opposition to Ortega too. There's a real tendency among Americans - even anti-imperialist Americans - to see everything in other countries through the lens of their relationship to America and discount the impact of actual domestic politics in those countries.

There is genuine domestic opposition to Ortega. I've met some of them. There were massive protests a few years ago when Ortega tried to cut the social security system. Those protests saw college aged kids getting shot in the streets by the police forces. It's not a good situation and Ortega is not like, a left wing ally at this point just because he claims to be a socialist.

Edit: Does D&D have a Latin America thread anymore? I couldn't find it.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 4, 2021

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

We should abolish DST at the federal level and force a ballot measure in every individual state on whether or not they do DST. gently caress it, full chaos.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Hellblazer187 posted:

Ortega sucks and is essentially a dictator but US sanctions are like the worst possible thing. All that will do is make a bad situation worse for the people there. gently caress that.

idc if they sanction ortega personally, but yeah the last thing nicaragua needs are sanctions

btw if anyone here is familiar with nicaraguan politics, you should look up who Ortega had arrested because it really isn't some nebulous oppositon figures, it's the other major candidates

Hellblazer187 posted:

There is genuine domestic opposition to Ortega. I've met some of them. There were massive protests a few years ago when Ortega tried to cut the social security system. Those protests saw college aged kids getting shot in the streets by the police forces. It's not a good situation and Ortega is not like, a left wing ally at this point just because he claims to be a socialist.

yeah pretty much

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sanctioning 26 people doesn't seem like an "economic blockade" to me.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

It's because the media either doesn't have any concept of what a normal working-class family looks like, or knowingly chooses to seek out extreme examples when creating hardship stories for families that tend to actually be much better off than the reporter suggests, which tends to provoke a backlash.

It gets real obvious when they give numbers and details, of course. Let's not forget this old classic from the WSJ.

And of course it's even worse in news orgs' finance sections, where you'll see plenty of obviously ridiculous budgets offered up to explain how $250k a year barely counts as subsistence income.
https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/1178369905244229633

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

socialsecurity posted:

Sanctioning 26 people doesn't seem like an "economic blockade" to me.

I think that's just a little bit of editorial flair from Sputnik News.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

It's because the media either doesn't have any concept of what a normal working-class family looks like, or knowingly chooses to seek out extreme examples when creating hardship stories for families that tend to actually be much better off than the reporter suggests, which tends to provoke a backlash.

It gets real obvious when they give numbers and details, of course. Let's not forget this old classic from the WSJ.

And of course it's even worse in news orgs' finance sections, where you'll see plenty of obviously ridiculous budgets offered up to explain how $250k a year barely counts as subsistence income.
https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/1178369905244229633

lol that mortgage payment alone is more than many people I know live off of.