Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I get sleep paralysis probably 3 or 4 times a month on average (but can go months without it happening) and I've never actually seen any hallucinations other than hearing weird poo poo sometimes. The only single visual hallucination I have is once when my son was a baby I saw him turn around smile evily at me. I do have a lot of false awakenings though.

I get it occasionally, and I'll admit it's been a little while while. Most of my visual hallucinations are just whatever room im in is "twisted" and wrong. Audio hallucinations tend to be a metallic sound, like a coin rolling around, and usually laughter (both male and female)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
The Dr. Satan stuff is the only part I like, love a good mad scientist gore set. I think it's the rest of the movie that is like an extremely irritating TCM2 impression.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dr. Satan is kind of unceremoniously dumped into the movie but he's a very cool design. I like HO1KC quite a bit but more than any Rob Zombie movie except maybe 31 it's kind of a lot of great production design in search of a movie.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Speaking of TCM2, I recently re-watched it because all I could really remember of it was a hazy collection of insane scenes tied together by a shadow of a plot.

It turns out I didn't actually forget anything and in fact I was remembering the film with perfect clarity.
It's... pretty good?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

dorium posted:

well thats kinda hosed up and cool in my own head. I can see why that's not cool at all, but I find this stuff fascinating.

Even though I don’t get full on paralysis really anymore I do still get nighttime auditory hallucinations. Never whispering though, its sometimes someone screaming my name but usually its just a loud cacophonous sound. I rewatched that doc after I posted earlier because I was up too early anyway (insomnia lol) and I forgot that the auditory stuff was a common aspect of it. Also I had forgotten how a lot of horror movies do use stuff from people’s paralysis descriptions like Freddy’s hat and the infamous sequence in Communion. Pretty neat documentary actually.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Basebf555 posted:

Never thought about that until now but yea it's weird that nobody ever says House of One Thousand Corpses, which is the actual title.

If someone said their favorite horror movie was House of 1000 Corpses I'd definitely still have respect for their opinions(it's a really good movie) but I'd also assume they were a younger person who needs to go back and watch some more stuff from the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

There are better films from all the decades after that as well. It's not even the best Rob Zombie film.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Basebf555 posted:

Exactly, the reveal of Dr. Satan makes the scope of the movie feel a lot bigger, as if you've only just scratched the surface of what may be going on there. Like, you could do a whole movie without any of the Fireflys where some people stumble onto Dr. Satan's lab years later and his various experiments are still down there along with god knows what else.

If anything it makes me more upset that Zombie hasn't revisited the concept in the movies he's made since then.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Dirties does own. There's so many FF gems from like 2011-2015 that are gonna be rediscovered one day.

I'm watching this right now and had to pause it because I'm getting anxiety watching these two doofuses make their movie and show it. I paused it right before it they show it to their class.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

I defeated my sleep paralysis when I got a weighted blanket because it usually happen whenever i turn onto my back in my sleep and I don't move around as much now.

The cure for sleep paralysis is making it so you can't move....... :aaa:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I still really like Devil's Rejects but House of 1,000 Corpses bored the poo poo out of me when I saw it in the theater and I fell asleep trying to watch it again a few months later. But then again I don't care for the majority of the rest of what Zombie's done cinematically.

I only like/remember 2 scenes from House, the opening murderclown bit and that suuuuuuuuuuper slow crane pullback when that one dude has the cop on his knees and is pointing a gun at his head and they just stand there for like 90 seconds. Having time to sit there and imagine what that wait must be like while you actually wait for the scene to end is pretty creative and effective IMO. But agreed Devil's Rejects is better overall, and aside from that and his first Halloween I haven't seen much else from Rob that I really enjoy. White Zombie and Hellbilly Deluxe are still pretty choice jams tho :rock:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That long crane shot is where you can see Rob Zombie come into his own as a director imo.

I always forget the victim in that scene is Walton Goggins.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol I do too and I agree that it's an incredible shot

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Like Uncle Boogyman said though, the production design on House of 1000 Corpses is also top notch. In terms of the technical aspects of being a filmmaker you can definitely see that Zombie had potential even if you don't enjoy the overall package. But I suppose people already knew that by then because he was known for creative and memorable music videos.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

I'd say the only things that scare me in movies at this point are really oppressive terror that just doesn't let up, especially if it makes it hard to know what's actually going on. Jacob's Ladder, Hereditary, Mother, Killing of a Sacred Deer, that kind of thing. I've also always been real squeamish with dismemberment; cutting someone's head off doesn't bug me, cutting someone's hand off gives me the willies.

I just watched Killing of a Sacred Deer, having glanced over it on Netflix so often due to the blurb making it sound like a generic stalker movie, and now I've got existential depression, thanks

I'm squeamish with that stuff too. Quick kills, almost no matter how brutal, are fine. I think it's the same reason you don't see people mourn the dead in horror movies, because we're desensitized to killing, but not the psychological pain. Which gave Hereditary the extra punch.

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo

Basebf555 posted:

Like Uncle Boogyman said though, the production design on House of 1000 Corpses is also top notch. In terms of the technical aspects of being a filmmaker you can definitely see that Zombie had potential even if you don't enjoy the overall package. But I suppose people already knew that by then because he was known for creative and memorable music videos.

Yeah I guess my main criticism of him is that by the time he started directing I think his aesthetic had lost a lot of the impact it had in 1992

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPNFVj-pISU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think also when it comes to the kind of intense, visceral grief portrayed in Hereditary, it's far from a given that you're gonna have an actress on Toni Collette's level who can do that stuff believably. A lot of people can stand there at a funeral scene for a 10 second shot of them looking sad but what Collette did in Hereditary is Oscar-level stuff that doesn't come along very often, especially in genre films.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

When you sit through each of his films in chronological order, they do show his growth as a director. Imagine telling people when he'd done Hot1K that he'd eventually be directing a Munsters movie and they wouldn't believe you.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Did he and Sheri Moon meet on the set of the Living Dead Girl video or were they already an item? I’m pretty sure it was their first artistic collaboration, anyway.

Edit: Never mind, they go back to the White Zombie days. I wasn’t even right about it being their first collab, she designed costumes and did choreography for the live shows. She rules so much.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 4, 2021

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo

M_Sinistrari posted:

When you sit through each of his films in chronological order, they do show his growth as a director. Imagine telling people when he'd done Hot1K that he'd eventually be directing a Munsters movie and they wouldn't believe you.

lol what? I can imagine literally anybody making a munsters movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Police_monitoring posted:

Gaspar Noe's the Munsters

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Gaspar Noe's the Munsters

I was thinking Lars von Trier's four hour Munsters cut.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I was thinking Lars von Trier's four hour Munsters cut.

in dogme 95 of course

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
New Chucky series is really good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

New Chucky series is really good.

:hai:

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Robert Eggers should make a Groovie Goolies film.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

my dream director/film idea combo is a David Lynch directed kaiju movie

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm someone who gets hallucinations with sleep paralysis, and I gotten weird pop culture poo poo before too like slenderman. It was bizarre because i was going through like, the physical reaction of just being absolutely terrified but a part of my brain was like "this is ridiculous, this is so dumb."
The most reoccurring thing I got was like auditory hallucinations of an animal moving around, and me wanting to get up to find it but I can't move, and then a cat jumps on the bed and starts clawing me. The weird thing with the claw attacks is I would describe them as almost TV static?

Takes No Damage posted:

The cure for sleep paralysis is making it so you can't move....... :aaa:

Yeah a lot of people just put a pillow behind their back when they sleep so they don't roll over onto it and suddenly they don't get it nearly as often anymore.
Its super weird being on your back triggers it for a lot of people, wonder what is up with that.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 4, 2021

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

John Waters!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah a lot of people just put a pillow behind their back when they sleep so they don't roll over onto it and suddenly they don't get it nearly as often anymore.
Its super weird being on your back triggers it for a lot of people, wonder what is up with that.

Karmic balance because all the stomach sleepers have back pain

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
Every time I’ve had sleep paralysis it’s always been during a nap after a big physical ordeal so I’ve always thought it was some obscure effect of mood on the sleep transition.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kvlt! posted:

my dream director/film idea combo is a David Lynch directed kaiju movie
How close did Colossal come to what you're imagining?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Not at all, because what I'm imagining has no Jason Sudeikis in it

(I haven't seen Colossal but from watching the trailer and reading about it I'm having a hard time imagining how it's Lynchian in any form. I guess if you define Lynchian as "anything strange", but Lynch movies don't tend to be "a great deal of fun" as the New York Times called Colossal)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Darthemed posted:

It's pretty close to what I would imagine a David Lynch Kaiju film would be.

Kvlt! posted:

Not at all, because what I'm imagining has no Jason Sudeikis in it

(I haven't seen Colossal)

It's really good you should watch it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe I'll catch some flak for the Dr Satan stans, but I really hated the entire Dr Satan subplot/MacGuffin in Ho1kC. He just didn't add anything to the movie, and while the rest of the movie gets pretty wild and cartoony I thought his whole design was just a little too over the top? Just a skeletal dude with rusty medical equipment living in a hobbit hole in the ground? Really?

Why does he live out there in the middle of the Texas desert, how do the Fireflies know him, why didn't they at least build an add-on to their house and let him experiment there if they're such good pals? Did he live there by coincidence and they just stumbled across him, are they related?

the main issue with Dr Satan is there is not enough of him.

Basebf555 posted:

I think also when it comes to the kind of intense, visceral grief portrayed in Hereditary, it's far from a given that you're gonna have an actress on Toni Collette's level who can do that stuff believably. A lot of people can stand there at a funeral scene for a 10 second shot of them looking sad but what Collette did in Hereditary is Oscar-level stuff that doesn't come along very often, especially in genre films.

strongly agree, it's hard to think of many performances in any genre that come close to her intensity in it

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think I had sleep paralysis when I fell asleep on the toilet once.

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
They should have to do a munsters flick out of collage to prove you have a sense of humor

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

welcome to the thread

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
Lol sorry I watched a LOT of horror movies last month

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

no way really?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

M_Sinistrari posted:

I for one can't believe the guy who wrote Dragula is directing a Munsters movie :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Every time I’ve had sleep paralysis it’s always been during a nap after a big physical ordeal so I’ve always thought it was some obscure effect of mood on the sleep transition.

That makes sense, my understanding is sleep paralysis / walking is due to brain chemistry loving up. Normally your brain doesn't let your body move around when you dream, when it does you get sleepwalking. But sometimes your brain doesn't let your body move for a second even once you wake up, resulting in sleep paralysis. I've had paralysis a few times but they were minor enough I don't really remember anything about them other than feeling weird for a few seconds.