Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
4A opens by introducing your childhood friend, a teenage girl who, despite growing up in and only ever knowing a post-apocalyptic world where society has broken down and ever day is a desperate struggle for survival, acts exactly like the stock “female childhood friend” from every forgettable high-school anime. Really sets the tone for the kind of writing you can expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

As a christian, it's a videogame bro

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

SMT4A = pwnage. The perfect follow up to 4. Best final boss next to Lucifer in 3.

SMT4A does own but lmao at considering Lucifer in Nocturne a good boss fight.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I like SMT. I like the ideas and the gameplay. I would not, however, say I ever became emotionally invested in an SMT game. Oh I killed the world and made one of Law/Chaos? Who gives a poo poo. I didn't know anybody here, and the people I did know were bland and one-dimensional. People who don't exist aren't owed any sort of recognition of their feelings so a fictional world being blown up means nothing. That's why Warhammer 40K is edgy as opposed to impactful - because you can write "and billions perished" but since we didn't know those billions, it's whatever.

this is what you say before you declare you want to return this corrupted world "to zero" and kill the mcs friend

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

WrightOfWay posted:

SMT4A does own but lmao at considering Lucifer in Nocturne a good boss fight.

its a good boss fight

Kale
May 14, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

As a christian, it's a videogame bro

Yeah but these things haven't always been seen that way is what I'm saying. You're exactly right though, it's just a video game and something to think about in that context.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

NikkolasKing posted:

stuff about IVA

Ironically, that whole semblance ties into one of the biggest things in IV that DID emotionally hit me, and that's when (ending spoilers i guess) you have to fight Isabeau if you go either Law or Chaos and it results in her killing herself at the very end. It really hits me how she's the "neutral" route because she's the most humane of the group- she lacks conviction, her experiences in Tokyo have irrevocably scarred her, and she's unable to respond to violent, inhuman ideologies that've taken two of her best friends away from her permanently. Her standing up against you is her final chance to stand her ground for what she feels is right, and her final choice to execute herself is HER choice, not one made for her by some higher power. Watching her kill herself is the first sign that you've found yourself on the wrong path. Seeing those kind of themes expanded upon in IVA is why I'm really sad it has the reputation it does.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Stux posted:

its a good boss fight

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

one death is a tragedy... a million is a statistic... you want me to care about whether you live or die? then come! show me why i should! - nikkolasking, mid boss of smt 6 moments after destroying tokyo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I never thought Nikkolasking would be the threads Chaos Hero

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Might makes right and he's a Mod now so in a way it was destined to happen.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

one more mod rejected, i am the ban inside you

Kale
May 14, 2010

Mix. posted:

Ironically, that whole semblance ties into one of the biggest things in IV that DID emotionally hit me, and that's when (ending spoilers i guess) you have to fight Isabeau if you go either Law or Chaos and it results in her killing herself at the very end. It really hits me how she's the "neutral" route because she's the most humane of the group- she lacks conviction, her experiences in Tokyo have irrevocably scarred her, and she's unable to respond to violent, inhuman ideologies that've taken two of her best friends away from her permanently. Her standing up against you is her final chance to stand her ground for what she feels is right, and her final choice to execute herself is HER choice, not one made for her by some higher power. Watching her kill herself is the first sign that you've found yourself on the wrong path. Seeing those kind of themes expanded upon in IVA is why I'm really sad it has the reputation it does.

One of the things I have been wondering about with SMTV is (spoilers for SMTIV to avoid anything possibly to close to what you reference) if that's going to be the case with the Tao character and she's going to be some Chaos route specific enemy with an alternate form. Probably Amaterasu if that were to happen. I figure Shohei will probably be the Law route specific boss, but I've been wondering what exactly Tao's role in the story is supposed to be because they keep hinting that she's some sort of Messianic figure (possibly the Megami referenced in the title for this entry) and has been working with Bethel since before the events of the game even happened. There's just seems like something more to that character than meets the eye.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Stux posted:

its a good boss fight

I like the part where you have to build your MC in a certain way or buy the one demon in the game that learns Pierce from the Amala Labyrinth if you don't want it to take 2 hours. Maniax/the remake make it a lot more tolerable with Raidou/Dante having Pierce but the original version is a terribly designed fight.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

I like the part where you have to build your MC in a certain way or buy the one demon in the game that learns Pierce from the Amala Labyrinth if you don't want it to take 2 hours. Maniax/the remake make it a lot more tolerable with Raidou/Dante having Pierce but the original version is a terribly designed fight.

You mean I have to do preparation for this final superboss fight???

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

WrightOfWay posted:

you have just revealed yourself as a noob of the highest order and your arguments may now be summarily dismissed without further thought

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also if youve never beaten that fight without pierce just to prove your powers you are a coward to me

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm gonna go back and finish it sometime but it didn't grab me the way IV did.

Yeah, same. SMTIV is one of my favourite games in the series, grabbed me the whole way through.

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

NikkolasKing posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about "I had to kill my friends in Nocturne." Isamu is just taht nerd who wants to gently caress his teacher. Oh he's being tortured by Thor and now Nizuchi. Big deal. Oh now he's gone insane or something, thrilling. And now he's dead.

That's the level of reaction I expressed for him, Chiaki, Jonathan, Walter....

i was pretty bummed about the Manikins

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mix. posted:

I know I'm very critical of IV but of the things I will absolutely praise it for, fighting Isabeau is top of that list alongside the White Ending. I got stuck in the Law route and was pretty unhappy about it but fighting Isabeau was very good and memorable. In contrast, I don't remember poo poo about Lucifer except his voice distortion effect sucked.] It's funny so many people poo poo on IVA but will absolutely rush to agree that it had better designs, especially for Lucy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wQcL_J71-I&t=116s

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Snake Maze posted:

4A opens by introducing your childhood friend, a teenage girl who, despite growing up in and only ever knowing a post-apocalyptic world where society has broken down and ever day is a desperate struggle for survival, acts exactly like the stock “female childhood friend” from every forgettable high-school anime. Really sets the tone for the kind of writing you can expect.

Asahi rules

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Junpei posted:

Asahi rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhRSt_2f0SI

Somebody once made an argument it's most morally defensible to bring her back as your Goddess since she's the one person who didn't oppose you.

Which reminds me, on the topic of SMT vs. Persona in terms of progressive representation, Dagda specifically says "gender is inconsequential" and you can pick Hallelujah, Gaston, or Navarre as your goddess to make a new universe with.

Nobody ever brings this up. It at least counts as much as with Jun since Tatsuya/Lisa was so obviously canon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Stux posted:

one more mod rejected, i am the ban inside you

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

You mean I have to do preparation for this final superboss fight???

It's not really a superboss. It's the final boss of a not particularly hidden ending. And the "preparation" is to bring this one particular skill that doesn't even make the fight easier so much as not insanely tedious. Just remove Lucifer's resistance to Almighty and it's a perfectly fine boss fight.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a Superboss added to the extra hard dungeon added in the rerelease. That's it's whole purpose

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

Not really, the ethos of SMT has never been people all randomly dying.

They don't die randomly, they die because someone much more powerful decided to kill them and could. Everything in SMT ultimately revolves around power, and even if you go down a neutral or law route you ultimately win because you were stronger than the opposition and defeated/killed them, and probably sacrificed most of your erstwhile allies along the way. Being nice and egalitarian is only an asset as long as you're alive to use it.

Note that I'm not saying SMT considers this a good thing, in any way, but it is as a whole pretty clear-eyed about the fact that your in-gane success comes on a mountain of corpses, and it doesn't really matter who you are (or who anyone is) if you're not the one standing at the top.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhRSt_2f0SI

Somebody once made an argument it's most morally defensible to bring her back as your Goddess since she's the one person who didn't oppose you.

Which reminds me, on the topic of SMT vs. Persona in terms of progressive representation, Dagda specifically says "gender is inconsequential" and you can pick Hallelujah, Gaston, or Navarre as your goddess to make a new universe with.

Nobody ever brings this up. It at least counts as much as with Jun since Tatsuya/Lisa was so obviously canon.

Wait, you can make Navarre a goddess?? Why tf have I not played this yet.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

wologar posted:

Wait, you can make Navarre a goddess?? Why tf have I not played this yet.

Another big thing about IVA is how it turned the thoroughly nothing character of IV Navarre into what might be my favorite party member in IVA. He's definitely up there
His potential murder, along with Toki's, hit me the hardest.

But yeah, the Jade Dagger gimmick is totally poo poo.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

[ask] me about restarting smt1 because i deleted my save by accident and forgetting to buy any equipemnt for mc before the hospital

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Stux posted:

[ask] me about restarting smt1 because i deleted my save by accident and forgetting to buy any equipemnt for mc before the hospital

why

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

which part

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

I can't answer for 100% sure to be honest. I was able to choose from three paths clearly but there are four pips for endings on the save file so it is possible there is something I missed.

From a few pages back, but...

I think the extra ending is one of the "you can only access certain features on a New Game+ run" things that they mentioned in the megaten news videos.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Stux posted:

which part

why did u forget to buy equipz

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm very excited to wonder the open world with my friend Jack Frost and all his very nice and welcoming relatives.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Booky posted:

why did u forget to buy equipz

because most jrpgs start u with basic gear but i forgot i was playing a Real GAme.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
i ordered a jack frost hat on etsy so im gonna be twinsies with my buddy as soon as i recruit him

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I found my 3DS and most of my games and realized I never actually went through Devil Survivor Overclocked, DS2 Record Breaker, or SJ Redux before (I finished each of their regular DS versions though at each of their releases).

If I were to pick only one to go through, or attempt to go through them before SMTV hits, which one would have the best additional content? I guess this would be down to the Day 8 stuff for Overclocked, the new Arc for Record Breaker, and whatever new crap they have for Redux.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I can't speak to the other two, but I remember the additional stuff in DS1 Overclocked being reasonably meaty. I was pretty satisfied with it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MechaX posted:

So I found my 3DS and most of my games and realized I never actually went through Devil Survivor Overclocked, DS2 Record Breaker, or SJ Redux before (I finished each of their regular DS versions though at each of their releases).

If I were to pick only one to go through, or attempt to go through them before SMTV hits, which one would have the best additional content? I guess this would be down to the Day 8 stuff for Overclocked, the new Arc for Record Breaker, and whatever new crap they have for Redux.

It is apparently an unpopular opinion but I really don't like the new arc in Devil Survivor 2. It's called Triangulum and it's basically them making up their own ending for the main Septentrion story as it follows on none of the possible endings you can actually get in the main story. It also does nothing interesting with any of the characters as far as I'm concerned. Quite the opposite, Yamato lost everything I liked about him.

SJ Redux adds a new character named Alex who will periodically show up in the regular story, as well as a new dungeon called Womb of Grief which is what you have to beat in order to unlock the possible three new endings and a new final boss. I think there's a new final dungeon too? I dunno about that part.

I'd recommend SJR myself. It improves the core gameplay a ton so it isn't exactly like playing the same ol' SJ, even without the new dungeon. As somebody whose first SMT game was original Strange Journey, SJR is so, so much better in my honest opinion.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

NikkolasKing posted:

SJ Redux adds a new character named Alex who will periodically show up in the regular story, as well as a new dungeon called Womb of Grief which is what you have to beat in order to unlock the possible three new endings and a new final boss. I think there's a new final dungeon too? I dunno about that part.

The new final dungeon only appears if you lock yourself onto one of the New endings. There are 6 total, classic L/N/C and new L/N/C. Much like Grus, it expands massively in NG+.