Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Finished some Plague Marines for this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

abravemoose posted:

Finished some Plague Marines for this week

these look great. Are these GW models?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I can answer that -- they are! I know because I just painted one. Crossposting from the 40k thread:

Aranan posted:

I painted my first plague marine! The helmet isn't quite where I'd like, but I'm reasonably satisfied with the rest of it to the point that I'm going to batch paint the rest of my plague marines with this scheme. If I learn anything while doing so, I'll update the scheme when I get to my terminators and HQs.

It feels really cool to paint a model and be reasonably happy with the results. :)

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013

Desfore posted:

You'll be fine for occasional airbrushing sessions (wipe down where the tube was blowing afterwards), but if you wanted to airbrush a lot, you'll ideally want that tube blowing out a window. Especially if you're wearing a mask during airbrushing, you don't have to be scared about using an airbrush, it's more about handling the dust afterwards. You're right that the filter will catch a lot of the dust, but smaller particles will still pass through, and you'll only notice it once it starts to build up. If there's zero chance to set it up so that it's blowing out a window, you could try setting it up that the tube blows into a waste bin, or container, or just something with a lid on it that you could swap out and clean.

edit: Also, this kinda depends on your airbrushing area. If you're in a tiny room, the ventilation is a more important issue than in a large garage.

thanks for the advice! I have my work/painting bench in a small office in my apartment, and there is a window, it's just that the window is against another wall so positioning the booth so that the tube is routable to the window while keeping the booth at an angle/position where it's still usable.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Tentacle scythe? Giant claw hand? Which one looks cooler? It will have a few pairs of insect wings as well -- they're just not attached right now.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

strong franklin vibes

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Aranan posted:

Tentacle scythe? Giant claw hand? Which one looks cooler? It will have a few pairs of insect wings as well -- they're just not attached right now.

My vote's for the hand.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Aranan posted:

Hand if he's a front line guy, scythe if he's a back line dude.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What would be a good dark tone primer to use instead of black when zenithal priming? I want to do batch painting using mostly Contrast paints and equivalents and black looks way to stark and unnatural, so I'm thinking some brown-grey tone?
I'd prefer Vallejo since that's what I have the best access to.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pierzak posted:

What would be a good dark tone primer to use instead of black when zenithal priming? I want to do batch painting using mostly Contrast paints and equivalents and black looks way to stark and unnatural, so I'm thinking some brown-grey tone?
I'd prefer Vallejo since that's what I have the best access to.

Brown/sepia is good if you're using warm contrast colours and want to retain that warmth. Otherwise a grey will work well.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Tried my hand at painting an Emperor's Spear captain. Turned out pretty okay, considering I hate painting blue.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
TIL "Pretty Okay" is a 10/10

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Painted up another Escher ganger, this time with a needle rifle, which after a few test games of Necromunda I've fallen in love with.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Anyone have any experience with metallic oil paints? Kinda curious if the flakes are small enough for miniature use.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I don't know what the gently caress I primed these Eldar Guardians with, but a week soaking in Simple Green didn't do poo poo. What's the next step up from there? I guess otherwise I know this stuff is good and I can just re-spray over the top of it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Eej posted:

Anyone have any experience with metallic oil paints? Kinda curious if the flakes are small enough for miniature use.

Winsor Newton metallics can def be used on minis. I haven't done it myself, but Marco Frisoni has used them in several videos.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Hey, I got some work done on my Blight Haulter. I could probably make the green wounds in the plating pop more and had to settle for a simpler eye pattern than I wanted (because I couldn't quite achieve my original tri-lobe idea) but I like him so far.

Zihuatanejo
Dec 17, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Hey, I got some work done on my Blight Haulter. I could probably make the green wounds in the plating pop more and had to settle for a simpler eye pattern than I wanted (because I couldn't quite achieve my original tri-lobe idea) but I like him so far.

I like it especially the eye and mandibles!

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Funzo posted:

I don't know what the gently caress I primed these Eldar Guardians with, but a week soaking in Simple Green didn't do poo poo. What's the next step up from there? I guess otherwise I know this stuff is good and I can just re-spray over the top of it.

Depends upon what material the minis are made out of. If they're plastic or resin, the harshest I'd go would be 99% isopropyl alcohol and a good stiff brush. If they're metal, though, you can dunk then in straight acetone and they'll be fine.

Regardless, you probably want to let the models sit for about a minute or so before trying to brush off the primer, so the solvent has time to do its thing.

I've also heard of people using solvents like simple green in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner as well, but I don't have one of those, so I can't vouch one way or the other. If you do go that route, though, be careful because many of the solvents are flammable, and you don't want to overheat then and blow your house up trying to strip a miniature.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Just an FYI that you should do a test if you plan to soak resin in IPA for a significant amount of time. It can permeate the material and make it go soft. Even after drying for a week I had a thin piece that was still malleable.

But realistically you shouldn't need to soak to remove paint with IPA. A brief dip then a scrub with a tooth brush is more than sufficient if a bit time consuming.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Zihuatanejo posted:

I like it especially the eye and mandibles!
Thanks! The mandibles surprised me especially; I guess the purple ink layer hit it in just the right way to make it look slick and alive.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I think I'm going to make some dioramas as gifts this year for christmas. Does anyone know any good minis for, like, a medieval hooded executioner and for a old-timey / modern farmer woman? Maybe one sowing seeds?

Also, what is that company with the minis designed by a woman, and all the women-minis are realistic and not all horny. I know they have capybaras as well.

The executioner and farmer are for different dioramas!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Executioner - https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/executioner/latest

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Wrr posted:

Also, what is that company with the minis designed by a woman, and all the women-minis are realistic and not all horny. I know they have capybaras as well.

https://badsquiddogames.com/

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished my Deathwatch Judiciar this morning. He hails from the Executioners Chapter, which seemed like the obvious Chapter choice.

Even with my Instaham taken away, I'm keepin on keeping on.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That's the leatherest lookin leather I ever looked at. Nice work.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

god drat that's impressive. did you sculpt the cloak on the head?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks guys. Re: the head, it's from the Deathwing Knight Terminators kit and comes with the hood.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

That's the leatherest lookin leather I ever looked at. Nice work.

Yeah that hood is :kiss:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Can anyone recommend a really cool, kinda desaturated gold paint that isn't a chore to deal with when using a brush?

Vallejo Metal Color has been my go-to choice for all metallics and honestly nothing I've tried yet has even come close, but for whatever reason they've got like 10 shades of silver and only a single gold, and it's just too yellow for my tastes (their older, slightly green version that everyone hated is ironically much closer to what I want). It's really hard to find a gold paint that doesn't just crank the yellow / orange saturation up to maximum - I want something that's nearing the silver / platinum end of the spectrum.

The color of this random throw pillow I found when searching for "cold gold tones" is pretty close I guess, but I wouldn't even mind a cooler tone if anyone makes one:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Can anyone recommend a really cool, kinda desaturated gold paint that isn't a chore to deal with when using a brush?

Vallejo Metal Color has been my go-to choice for all metallics and honestly nothing I've tried yet has even come close, but for whatever reason they've got like 10 shades of silver and only a single gold, and it's just too yellow for my tastes (their older, slightly green version that everyone hated is ironically much closer to what I want). It's really hard to find a gold paint that doesn't just crank the yellow / orange saturation up to maximum - I want something that's nearing the silver / platinum end of the spectrum.

The color of this random throw pillow I found when searching for "cold gold tones" is pretty close I guess, but I wouldn't even mind a cooler tone if anyone makes one:

You want Light Bronze Metallic from Monument Hobbies ProAcryl line.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Bucnasti posted:

You want Light Bronze Metallic from Monument Hobbies ProAcryl line.

That looks just about perfect, thank you!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Vallejo Metal Color has been my go-to choice for all metallics and honestly nothing I've tried yet has even come close, but for whatever reason they've got like 10 shades of silver and only a single gold
The "whatever reason" is the Liquid Gold line. Yes, Vallejo has a whole separate line for golds. They're finicky alcoholic primadonnas that are a pain to paint with, but drat if they don't look real nice. You should totally look at the silverish golds from that. You'll have to gauge the color with your own eyes, online color swatches are useless for those.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
As always Vince has a video on it. The TL;DR is a mix of VMC golds and the GSW metal pigments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26_1W7zR-cA&t=1s

To note, if you want a more desaturated gold you can just mix in a bit of VMC silver or any other bright metal to cut down on some of the orange.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

The last ganger for my starting Necromunda gang is finished! Just in time for the campaign starting this weekend.

Loved this project, and I still have a few more models to go but I'm going to turn my focus back to the terrain I've been building. My favorite of the group are probably the Queen (top center) and the Death Maiden (bottom left).

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Pierzak posted:

The "whatever reason" is the Liquid Gold line. Yes, Vallejo has a whole separate line for golds. They're finicky alcoholic primadonnas that are a pain to paint with, but drat if they don't look real nice. You should totally look at the silverish golds from that. You'll have to gauge the color with your own eyes, online color swatches are useless for those.

Seconding this for Rose Gold, which is basically a cheat code for a really nice gold effect when painting over top of a more yellow gold.

Also, the Liquid Gold bottles can go to hell and burn for eternity. The fact I love those paints despite how awful it is to get the bottles open goes a long way to explaining just how good they are.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Maneck posted:

Also, the Liquid Gold bottles can go to hell and burn for eternity. The fact I love those paints despite how awful it is to get the bottles open goes a long way to explaining just how good they are.
You mean the "child-proof" loose tops? I just lock those with superglue.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Verisimilidude posted:

The last ganger for my starting Necromunda gang is finished! Just in time for the campaign starting this weekend.

Loved this project, and I still have a few more models to go but I'm going to turn my focus back to the terrain I've been building. My favorite of the group are probably the Queen (top center) and the Death Maiden (bottom left).

Love em all and I'm going to have to borrow your contrast techniques to finish my death guard.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Your work is fantastic. I love the extreme contrasts.

But when I see these gangs, all I can think about is the amount of hair product they must go through. In the grim dark of the 40 th millennium there is only war. And hairspray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Crossposting from the 40k thread because I accidentally posted it there instead of here. Oops.

They're not done, but I'm still pleased with how the drybrush screaming skull -> glaze (?) mix of seraphim sepia + nazdreg yellow makes the highlights on the green armor pop and look like a sickly yellow color.

Also daemonette hide is a great base color that can basically cover anything in one thinned coat. A far cry from wraithbone which I swear needs 4+ coats just to go over deathguard green sometimes.