Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Laterite posted:

"The sun is burning. This sun isn't normal."

ahhhdhsgfhdf just when i thought all cracks were pinged

SCP-001 When Day Breaks. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I got the choppy choppy snippy snoppy done in 2000, a couple months before my wedding.

No regerts. In fact, the more time passes, the more it feels like I did the right thing.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
/

Rime has issued a correction as of 23:32 on Sep 7, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rime posted:

So I have an advanced PRK surgery scheduled for January, as I don't want to risk my myopia degenerating and the gamble of being able to get glasses in two decades.

However laser eye surgery permanently destroys a few layers of epilithium over the cornea (bowmans, etc) which in a high UV world could result in your corneas hazing to opaque in a matter of months (you see this in people who get surgery and then immediately fly to the tropics and don't wear glasses, instantly blind from hazing).

Originally I had planned on having ICL's implanted, but it costs almost $10k and can result in cataracts if they brush the back of the cornea as they are put in. Long term side effects of them are unknown. They do block additional UV and blue light, however.

Perhaps this is too much thinking about matters, since if matters degrade such that UV radiation becomes that much of a concern for a privileged first worlder, I will likely be dead anyways. :hmmyes:

Whatever you choose, make the decision based on not having access to eye doctors or medical care in 30 years.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I don't understand why the balls aren't white

to prevent algae growth by blocking the light

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Chamale posted:

Whatever you choose, make the decision based on not having access to eye doctors or medical care in 30 years.

That's why I backed out of ICL's and opted for PRK. While it's irreversible, which alarms me if something fucks up, in the context of medical care collapsing in the long run I think it's by far the lesser risk that a collamer lens inside my eyeballs.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
This is something I've weighted on too, and ultimately I decided to live with my mild -1.0/-2.0 myopia over risking permanent damage or hidden eventual long-term complications.

Even if it gets worse and I lose access to new glasses it'll only be inconveniencing rather than crippling.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
my partner has icls

it was her only option due to thin corneas and long eyeballs iirc

going on 14 years now with zero issues. maybe worth the risk when your rx is so extreme you’re almost legally blind without glasses and can’t get contacts lenses

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

long eyeballs

:eyepop:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If you're concerned about long-term damage, wouldn't it be better to just stock up on a bunch of eyeglasses of varying prescriptions? They're fairly inexpensive nowadays if you get it from someplace like Zenni.com and don't particularly care about fashionability. Lock them in a safe or something.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/04/climate-depression-youth-crisis-world-leaders

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

If you're concerned about long-term damage, wouldn't it be better to just stock up on a bunch of eyeglasses of varying prescriptions? They're fairly inexpensive nowadays if you get it from someplace like Zenni.com and don't particularly care about fashionability. Lock them in a safe or something.

my optometrist has this ancient leather briefcase that has a ton of lenses in different strengths, from puny to my prescription. they are made snap into a special pair of glasses that holds them. and you can rotate them around to adjust for your astigmatism

I figure that should let me see until I die of starvation.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Lensmaking isn't that complicated in broad terms, you're going to have much bigger problems from forced deindustrialization than getting glasses.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
another thing with laser eye surgery is for some reason it can gently caress up your ability to use certain firearm sights so it could make the part of the future where everyone's wearing bondage gear and shooting each other harder for you as well

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Rime posted:

Perhaps this is too much thinking about matters, since if matters degrade such that UV radiation becomes that much of a concern for a privileged first worlder, I will likely be dead anyways. :hmmyes:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/blazing-world-record-strongest-uv-rays-measured-in-south-america/

so this older article talks about even more crazy UV times in Bolivia's history, with a detector atop a volcano reading 43.3 (!!) in 2004, before asking :airquote: "Once in a lifetime?"

and then:

quote:

Researchers think seasonal thunderstorms over the Andes and fires burning in the Amazon could have depleted protective ozone, along with an atmospheric train of ozone-depleting chemicals streaming north from Antarctica. A large solar flare from the sun two weeks before the spike also could have affected atmospheric chemistry and destroyed some the planet's protective ozone layer.
whew luckily for us none of those things are still happening :sludgepal:

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Shot
"It doesn't require magic, "

Chaser
"Plastics, idk some kind of bioengineered plastic eating bacteria or something. "

Do you think carbon capture is real too? Liberalism is having faith that tech will save us without understanding anything about the tech. Just a child's blind faith that anything is physically possible if we belief hard enough. That there are no real limits to physics.

Ya ok it was a hand-wave.

The point remains - not trying does nothing and goes nowhere. Doomerism is the wrong response to this - we need to evolve into something that is able to stare this in the race and not completely give up.

If god is dead, then the future is always open.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the free market is going to solve the problem for us
unfortunately the solution will look exactly like

https://i.imgur.com/GILHzoO.mp4

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
looks fukken awesome to me

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

splifyphus posted:

Ya ok it was a hand-wave.

The point remains - not trying does nothing and goes nowhere. Doomerism is the wrong response to this - we need to evolve into something that is able to stare this in the race and not completely give up.

If god is dead, then the future is always open.

everything that could have made a difference will get you tossed in prison for life or vanished while also not being adequate to change our trajectory, this isn't a movie where you can just go out there and punch the bad guy and save the world

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

market problems require market solutions

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I just want to take this opportunity to remind everyone what extinction rebellion was pushing for awhile back:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Gravid Topiary posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/03/americas/bolivia-heatwave-highlands-intl/index.html

cocaine trees roasting on the Bolivian plateaus -- surely this will motivate the 1% to fight climate change.

Watched the first season of Into the Night this week, so that's cool

kater
Nov 16, 2010

blatman posted:

I just want to take this opportunity to remind everyone what extinction rebellion was pushing for awhile back:

what is a can of chalk

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

kater posted:

what is a can of chalk

im picturing u use a can opener on this can that looks identical to tomato sauce except instead of sauce the logo is a spoonful of sticks of sidewalk chalk

then you drain the liquid down the sink and you have like a week to use it before it grows mold

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The problem with doomism is that we're not doomed fast enough.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Chamale posted:

i think about this a lot as someone with glasses and a prosthetic leg. when the leg breaks there are no replacements, and there's no way to manufacture more. which is why my long-term plan is a .45

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

practically everyone in my family but me has diabetes. the end of the world is going to be very sad i expect

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
there’s no me in insulin

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

r u ready to WALK posted:

the free market is going to solve the problem for us
unfortunately the solution will look exactly like

https://i.imgur.com/GILHzoO.mp4

Do, my friends, become addicted to number. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence and that is good

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I am looking forward to the unravelling

I have put a lot if work into fitting into society. I quit drinking 11 years ago. Quit smoking cigarettes 7 years ago. Been working as a respectable teacher for a decade. All so I can be clear eyed and clear headed while fuckers kill the planet in front of me

Can't wait to say gently caress it and go back to da old me

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

For most of us posting here the collapse will be slow and drawn out. Like constantly being nauseous but being unable to just get it over with and puke.

*Unless some wicked feedback loops start kicking in sooner than expected or the AMOC suddenly ceases or whatever. In that hypothetical you'd instantly start puking and making GBS threads everywhere and still feel sick.

bowser has issued a correction as of 14:04 on Nov 5, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
we just need a really big telescope to find earth 2

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

we just need a really big telescope to find earth 2

you can find that show online but it sucked. or at least it did when i was a kid

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

bowser posted:

For most of us posting here the collapse will be slow and drawn out. Like constantly being nauseous but being unable to just get it over with and puke.

*Unless some wicked feedback loops start kicking in sooner than expected or the AMOC suddenly ceases or whatever. In that hypothetical you'd instantly start puking and making GBS threads everywhere and still feel sick.

Idk we got a fatal dose of rads and it does smell like someone lost control of their bowels around here...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Just finished that Slime Mold Time Mold blog so far. what a pro-click

please ruin it for me if they’re somehow totally wrong and crazy

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Serf posted:

you can find that show online but it sucked. or at least it did when i was a kid

no it owned

drooling grendlers, freaky burrowing aliens, tim curry

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1d472MwGiQ

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

tuyop posted:

please ruin it for me if they’re somehow totally wrong and crazy

Yeah I read through that three other week and haven't been able to stop thinking about it

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

story of my life right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

tuyop posted: