Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ElGroucho posted:

who hurt you

also, "NO SPOILERS!!!" for a book that came out 60 loving years ago, lmfao

Nobody tell this dude how The Catcher in the Rye ended, please

I would expect a thread in TVIV for a TV series for Catcher in the Rye to also not have spoilers for upcoming episodes, just like I expect the upcoming Wheel of Time thread to not have spoilers for "The Eye of the World" book which came out some 37 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Nitrousoxide posted:

I expect the upcoming Wheel of Time thread to not have spoilers for "The Eye of the World" book which came out some 37 years ago.

yeah you're gonna be disappointed on that one i think

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe someone could clarify what the purpose of the spoiler tags is? I try to spoil tag anything from the books that might come up in a future episode. But once the episode is out I'll post about what happened in the episode freely. After all, who is coming to the Foundation discussion thread if they haven't watched the show already?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Maybe someone could clarify what the purpose of the spoiler tags is? I try to spoil tag anything from the books that might come up in a future episode. But once the episode is out I'll post about what happened in the episode freely. After all, who is coming to the Foundation discussion thread if they haven't watched the show already?

At least in the anime forum we generally spoiler tag the current episode the day it comes out but then stop after that day, and always spoiler manga/novel stuff that hasn't happened yet.

Ideally you context the spoilers so (Novel) novel spoilers or (Episode) episode spoilers

I'm personally not one to get hung up on episode spoilers though. As you said, what are you doing coming to the tv shows thread after an episode came out but before you watched it.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
love it when i hover over an out of context spoiler about gaal being the mule and i have no idea wtf it even means

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Anyway, it's clear that robots (Episode) either don't have a first law or the definition of "Human" or "harm" has been altered, which makes the possibility of the robot wars mentioned earlier entirely possible.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kill All Cops posted:

love it when i hover over an out of context spoiler about gaal being the mule and i have no idea wtf it even means

Kind of funny when Gaals dad asked if her predictions were visions from their god (with the implication that he would have believed in visions) she insisted on talking about math like some nerd when she was seeing visions

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Before I ready anyone else's comment

* I wish they don't use the word "kilometer", it ruins the feel of the overworld

* this show is real pretty. Why can't Netflix make pretty scifi show like this?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Episode:

First three minutes: Wouldn't it have been better to have had this flashback in a previous episode in which Phara was tied up and talking to Salvor Hardin? It feels like a case of the two episodes being written by different teams and the other writers wanting to go back and add something.

"You will help me navigate the next jump", but Salvor's never even flown a spaceship, then the rest of the episode has all that fighting again.

It felt like all these Gaal being mad at Hari scenes went on waaaaay too long.

I liked all the Empire scenes again.

The show is nothing like the book at this point, just a bunch of characters with the same name. There are adaptations, and then there's boosting an unrelated story by piggybacking off the brand name of another IP. It's just bait-and-switch cheating to obtain an audience.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liySMbyFveA

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

everything in the newest episode sucked actually

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Aertuun posted:

What makes someone look like a rich white guy as opposed to a poor white guy? Is it the jawline?

Possibly...? I dunno, it's an interesting question, but there is definitely a certain look that makes me think "this is a rich white guy." Jared Harris, for instance, I wouldn't have an opinion about his wealth or class, but Lee Pace's features for some reason scream "wealthy". I could buy him as the emperor here, or as a Wall St. executive, or as an English nobleman from the 1800s, or as a Roman Senator, but they'd need to do a ton of makeup work before I could buy him playing a fast food worker or a homeless guy. Maybe it's the physical features, maybe it's the lack of like, scars or stress wrinkles and stuff that would indicate you've faced a lot of rough stuff in your past?

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
They’re gonna make Gaal (book)The Mule aren’t they? They really do want me to hate this show outright.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've been waiting like 4 episodes to see some Heliconian Twisting. When are we going to get to Helicon?! :argh:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Phenotype posted:

Maybe it's the physical features, maybe it's the lack of like, scars or stress wrinkles and stuff that would indicate you've faced a lot of rough stuff in your past?
It may be a mistake to completely disregard his voice.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Odoyle posted:

They’re gonna make Gaal (book)The Mule aren’t they? They really do want me to hate this show outright.

I have been waiting to see someone playing a Visi-Sonor. It feels like something they would throw into an empire segment, considering how much foreshadowing they are already doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqoflxSdgIU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Rutibex posted:

I have been waiting to see someone playing a Visi-Sonor. It feels like something they would throw into an empire segment, considering how much foreshadowing they are already doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqoflxSdgIU

Futurama already did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPn8ytmg0pE

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hey brain genius, don't mix in episode spoilers with book spoilers with no flags on which are which.

I know people who read the book just have enormous minds that us puny TV series watches can't comprehend, but just putting book spoilers in spoiler tags with no context around it ESPECIALLY on the release date for a new episode is too much for our tiny minds to handle and alas we cannot tell the difference. Please spare us from your gigantic intellect and keep in mind our limited brainpower when you write your posts.

I've tried to preface book spoiler in posts but... i didn't in that post because I didn't mention any book spoilers in anything beyond a name the show already mentioned in the opening monologue?

Like, i'm not trying to be a jerk here but I'm not even sure what book spoiler I mentioned.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Google Butt posted:

everything in the newest episode sucked actually

The episode was title should have been "Those Lee Pace gains"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I adore that book spoilers are complete unintelligible gibberish.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Is this navigator thing (jacked to the neck matrix style) totally new? Feels like the show runner is ripping off Dune again.

I am glad you guys are paying attention and nikpiacking the Salvor plot, I couldn't possibly care less.

IMO creating this dumb drama between Saal and Hari is dumb, the show is better of with these 2 characters physically in the same scenes

Empire plot continued to be amazing. I even like the robot having religious vision and faith plot twist. I would like it more if this arc has nothing to do with Asimov's writings.

Also, somebody predicted that Brother Pace was going to die in the pilgrimage trail and have his clone replaced him? That didn't happen? I guess most of these people who died in the trail would have lived if they wear middle eastern clothing and limit their body dehydration?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

(Episode) Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. I thought he'd die because, although he's Lee Pace fit, his status and technology and had made him "never know exhaustion". Based on how these stories usually go, I expected him either to arrogantly reject help when he needed it or refuse to give it and get comeuppance, and I was again pleasantly surprised that didn't happen. Maybe many of the people who died don't even bother with an exercise routine to train for it, either.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 5, 2021

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Odoyle posted:

I don't think so. Seems more likely that she will be the mother(!) of the mule. I speculated before that she is pregnant and could have a child that either is involved in the Second Foundation or becomes he Mule. We now know that she isn't going to be involved in the Second Foundation, at least it doesn't seem like that's the path they are taking, so it'd make narrative sense if her child ends up being the Mule, especially with the powers they have setup for Gaal. Having herself be the Mule doesn't really work, there isn't any motivation for it and it'd be weird to have such a turn. It'd make a lot more sense if her child becomes the Mule and might carry resentment towards the Foundations due to what happened with his mother (you could easily set it up in a way that provies ample motivation). Gaal's travel through space (taking 100+ years to arrive at her next destination) + having a child also gives the story enough opportunity to move further through the stories timeline.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Lmao does Lee Pace have no clue how a real person limps?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

D-Pad posted:

ACTING

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

D-Pad posted:

I was positive he was doing the 2001 Space Odyssey apeman walk. He also crashed skulls.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Is this navigator thing (jacked to the neck matrix style) totally new? Feels like the show runner is ripping off Dune again.

No its not entirly new, there is something similar invented by the Foundation in the later books.

Foundation feels like its ripping off Dune because Dune ripped off 80% of its sci-fi concepts from Foundation in the first place :v:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 5, 2021

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
special brain it is :rolleyes:

book people posted:

book spoilers

Yeah they couldn't keep it in their pants for the entire running of GoT either.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 5, 2021

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I like that they made him look beet red in those scenes

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

A lot of movies and TV shows with desert scenes forget about sunburn, this show and Better Call Saul excepted

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Kill All Cops posted:

Yeh must be weird given your only data about the mule from show only would be gaal talking about herself in 3rd person...

Gaal is not the mule

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

D-Pad posted:

seriously lol, embarrassing

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Aw, he's not a real boy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The good guys are this show are so poorly written / characterized that you can't help to cheer for strong space daddy tyrant success scenes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I get the sense that Brother Day was deeply troubled by his lack of a vision after his talk with his AI assistant.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Lee Pace was practicing JoJo poses very hard in this episode.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I get the sense that Brother Day was deeply troubled by his lack of a vision after his talk with his AI assistant.
This is how I saw it as well.

etalian posted:

The good guys are this show are so poorly written / characterized that you can't help to cheer for strong space daddy tyrant success scenes.
Yeah I'm seeing this too. I'm basically just rooting for Hari and Cleon cuz I don't care about anyone else. Oh I guess Hugo too, he's cool.
In a way I also root for the Huntress because seeing the Invictus cause terrible destruction on Trantor would mean a really cool looking Trantor-destruction scene, which we got in the first episode and was fantastic.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 6, 2021

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Pet peeve of mine

I hated how they showed him have a vision and then go back on it.... the camera should be a reliable narrator!!!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
This has to be the stupidest loving religion ever

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That also annoyed me. We should either be seeing things as they really happen, or as the main character for the scene is seeing things. Don't just make things up to trick us. There was no reason to show us that, just say it with words first and then show the truth later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

That also annoyed me. We should either be seeing things as they really happen, or as the main character for the scene is seeing things. Don't just make things up to trick us. There was no reason to show us that, just say it with words first and then show the truth later.

I took it as them portraying what they imagined him to be describing.