Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Stop having weddings altogether, just deepfake a bunch of wedding photos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Has everyone already forgotten lil Jon's message of "don't start no poo poo won't be no poo poo"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

AITA for “causing” a coworker to get written up by HR

People who make false HR complaints absolutely should not be promoted and be put in a position over anyone else.

This story is being very careful in not saying what the actual argument was over, and I wonder if they got to the topic of CRT and that’s why it got heated.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

spouse posted:

Me 42M my son 17M caught my wife (his mom) 40F cheating on me with a friend of mine also 42M

quote:

when she asked him to take out the trash he responded with there's the door.

Holy poo poo lmao :discourse:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

rotinaj posted:

This story is being very careful in not saying what the actual argument was over, and I wonder if they got to the topic of CRT and that’s why it got heated.

You don't think that someone butting into a conversation to keep repeating "people without kids shouldn't have a say in what kids are taught" and then being judgy about this person decision to not have children (which bafflingly seems to be public knowledge) isn't enough to make things heated?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hughlander posted:

AITA for “causing” a coworker to get written up by HR

People who make false HR complaints absolutely should not be promoted and be put in a position over anyone else.

NTA. She lied to HR and got found out.

As to her opinion of people without kids not having a say in the education system? :wrong:

Even people without kids are going to have to live in this society with everyone else. It behooves everyone to be very interested in public education.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

You don't think that someone butting into a conversation to keep repeating "people without kids shouldn't have a say in what kids are taught" and then being judgy about this person decision to not have children (which bafflingly seems to be public knowledge) isn't enough to make things heated?

I think that the narrator is biased and may not be telling us the truth, because he is being very careful not to mention the actual argument. If he was getting very mad about crt, she may have said "why are you so mad, you don't have kids in school?" And he is telling us a version that makes him a hero. This could be absolutely wrong, of course, which is why I'm just curious as to why the OP was being so careful not to mention it.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
post clearly says they were talking about student loans and coworker jumped in to talk some poo poo. Doesn't specify the argument because there wasn't one.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

rotinaj posted:

I think that the narrator is biased and may not be telling us the truth, because he is being very careful not to mention the actual argument. If he was getting very mad about crt, she may have said "why are you so mad, you don't have kids in school?" And he is telling us a version that makes him a hero. This could be absolutely wrong, of course, which is why I'm just curious as to why the OP was being so careful not to mention it.

CRT is such an incredible leap from "the student loan system" that you might as well just premise your posts on the idea that what really happened is the OP pulled a gun on her

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Half of Dracula posted:

post clearly says they were talking about student loans and coworker jumped in to talk some poo poo.

She could have been the one mad about CRT, sure. It just feels weird, is all. Is there some no-politics rule in AITA that would explain it? It just feels like we are only being told part of a story and there's a big part being left out

Edit:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

CRT is such an incredible leap from "the student loan system" that you might as well just premise your posts on the idea that what really happened is the OP pulled a gun on her

Uh I'm premising my posts on what she jumped into the discussion talking about, the whole "parents need to control what their kids learn" right now is intrinsically linked to the controversy over CRT, that's what she was talking about, step off my dick

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

or maybe an office argument about student loans is inherently uninteresting and irrelevant to the topic they want to discuss now? OP doesn't go into detail what kind of shoes anyone's wearing either, extremely sus imo

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

or maybe an office argument about student loans is inherently uninteresting and irrelevant to the topic they want to discuss now? OP doesn't go into detail what kind of shoes anyone's wearing either, extremely sus imo

:jerkbag:

The story feels fragmented and has massive leaps of logic that could either mean the lady was crazy or the guy isn't telling us the whole story. That's what I was trying to point out. Thanks for discussing in bad faith, for the lols or whatever your whole gimmick is

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling a wedding planner to piss off?

quote:

My sister got married last weekend and I was one of her bridesmaids. The whole wedding process was very exhausting since my sister had many demands that most of us couldn't fulfill but tried our best anyway so we wouldn't be accused of ruining her say.

Before the wedding happened my sister made sure to let me know that my fiancé is not invited to the wedding because he'll be a distraction to me. She also said she's not giving any bridesmaid a plus one for that reason. I told her she must be out of her mind since my fiancé has been in our family for 5 years and our wedding is also few months away. I said none of us would be distracted and uninviting my fiancé for that reason is a poo poo move. My parents agreed with her and thought her decision was unreasonable. She said ok fine and said she'll invite him. He'd sit at a different table as a family guest rather than as my plus one since he's been part of our family for years, not simply my plus one. My sister later admitted that her original thought was unreasonable.

On the day of the wedding, after the ceremony as we were about to enter the venue , I walked in with my fiancé and the wedding planner came to me and said "the gentleman is not invited, bride's orders". I said the bride had reinvited him. She said "I know he's back on the guest list but I'm here to make sure the bride has her perfect day and her original request was for the bridal party to have no plus ones, she got pressured into it but I'm here to make sure I'll speak her mind when she can't do so because of her stress. Now please, the gentleman must go! " I told her to piss off, she's a wedding planner not a lawyer and if my sister still has an issue she can come and talk to me herself because my fiancé being reinvited was agreed upon after all.

The wedding planner threatened to kick me out as well until my parents and my sisters parents in law stepped in and said that's enough. I told her I don't want to make a scene just let us sit down and take it up with my sister.

The wedding went smoothly after that, thankfully no drama happened, but as soon as the party ended the wedding planner came to me and said that she hopes someone wears white to my own wedding if I couldnt respect the bride's wishes.

My sister called me TA for going against her wedding planner but also said her wedding planner was out of line trying to speak over her when it was agreed upon that my fiancé would be invited. I'm so confused now because I don't know if I'm TA or not.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Soylent Pudding posted:

You were right but she was right and you were wrong but she was wrong! Also I caused this whole problem to start with, twice! I'm definitely not a nightmare person!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

wonder how much extra she had to pay the wedding planner to pull that poo poo for her

My [21F] Boyfriend [20] of 6 months said that he doesn't believe the 'official story' of the holocaust

quote:

Well basically as it’s the end of the year I’ve been looking at some top 10 film lists for the year and one of the films that caught my eye is Son of Saul, a Hungarian film about the holocaust. Me and the boyfriend like to watch films together so I asked him if he’d be interested in watching it. He said that he thought it sounded like typical Hollywood bullshit, and when I told him it wasn’t American he still said he didn’t want to see it. Well basically I pressed him for more details about why and he eventually admitted he didn’t want to see it because he “didn’t believe the official story of the holocaust.” I was honestly kind of shocked and just dropped it, but later I asked him about what he actually believed happened.

He said that while Hitler did order the Jews into camps and ghettos this was only meant to be done during the war and that afterwards he wanted to deport them. He said that the deaths were mostly from disease or lack of food due to the war and that the showers weren’t for gassing but for delousing or something like that. I asked him where he read this stuff and he said that there are some books on the subject that go into detail. He also claimed that the Nazis didn’t have the technology to burn millions of bodies and that there weren’t as many Jews in Europe as is reported anyway. He said that while he believes the Nazis were bad and that hundreds of thousands of Jews died, the allies greatly inflated the numbers to discredit the Nazis further.

I mean obviously this stuff just set off my bullshit detector but I’m not really knowledgeable enough about history to dispute this. My boyfriend leans right but he’s never made racist or anti-Semitic comments before, although he is sometimes heavily critical of Israel when they're in the news. Is he just misguided or is this the kind of thing only a neo nazi would say?

hrmmmmm

Uncle ShortyB
Oct 18, 2013

"Do you think since your cat is dead I could

You know

Wear it?"
AITA for wanting my husband of 25 years to not bring his BF home anymore?

quote:

I had stage IV aggressive breast cancer. I had a double mastectomy and bc of major complications I cannot have a rebuild. (Never) My spouse has been 100% supportive and we have always had a great relationship… until his bestfriend is around. I overheard him telling my husband that I have lost my appeal, my beauty, he even said I look trans. Men need breasts and I am no longer attractive. After about 15 minutes of constant nagging and insults, my husband caved and agreed. My hair hasn’t grown back as fast as it should and the years of treatment really affected my teeth. I am still quite beautiful just different. Our sex life is great and we are only impacted when his buddy comes around. I’m really starting to hate him. We have kids and a great life. Am I just insecure?

I feel so bad for this woman, I totally agree that she should just kick this dude's bestfriend to the curb and keep his rear end out there.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Soylent Pudding posted:

if some malevolent alien force was waiting to exterminate us I would 100% understand.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Uncle ShortyB posted:

AITA for wanting my husband of 25 years to not bring his BF home anymore?

I feel so bad for this woman, I totally agree that she should just kick this dude's bestfriend to the curb and keep his rear end out there.

"After about 15 minutes of constant nagging and insults, my husband caved and agreed."

...I'm sorry, he AGREED?

Twenty five years?!?

He agreed?!?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

r/relationships: tried our best anyway so we wouldn't be accused of ruining her say.

That is an amazing typo for "day". I hope.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

"After about 15 minutes of constant nagging and insults, my husband caved and agreed."

...I'm sorry, he AGREED?

Twenty five years?!?

He agreed?!?

As bad as that is, I'm hung up on the very first part. Who the gently caress would let someone poo poo on their spouse's appearance for 15 minutes? I can't fathom carrying on any conversation with someone like that. At best I'd give them the benefit of a sudden onset of foot-in-mouth disease, but if they actually persisted that'd be a "this conversation is over, leave immediately and lose my phone number on the way out".

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

wonder how much extra she had to pay the wedding planner to pull that poo poo for her

My [21F] Boyfriend [20] of 6 months said that he doesn't believe the 'official story' of the holocaust

hrmmmmm

Boyfriend is deep into some Nick Fuentes style, "Could you really bake 6 million cookies with X ovens?" poo poo.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

As bad as that is, I'm hung up on the very first part. Who the gently caress would let someone poo poo on their spouse's appearance for 15 minutes? I can't fathom carrying on any conversation with someone like that. At best I'd give them the benefit of a sudden onset of foot-in-mouth disease, but if they actually persisted that'd be a "this conversation is over, leave immediately and lose my phone number on the way out".

Someone who agrees with what's being said.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Reddit comments agree that the sister told the wedding planner to say this, in hopes that the wedding planner would be the bad cop for her.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Ravenfood posted:

The 10 year old writing about being upset about a stepmom entering her life is totally reasonable and normal (and the kid probably needed more therapy). An adult acting like a shithead because a 10 year old wrote some hurtful things down in a completely private (lol) setting is utterly mindblowing.

No sorry I didn't explain what I meant, I guess I meant I get why the step mom was hurt initially, not about the current day stuff lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

spacetoaster posted:

It does. The research on kids and screens/social media shows it's clearly not good. My kids and their friends do just fine with regular calls/group texts and stuff. But we're fortunate enough to live within walking distance of their schools and friends.

Have you got your kids learning the language if you're planning on going to China? My youngest boy has been taking it for about 8 months now and it's pretty cool.

(too bad a trip to China is waaay too expensive and troublesome right now.)

My wife only talks to him in Mandarin and I use it for the simple phrases that I know. He definitely understands more than I do.

Yeah, China is totally undoable right now. Hopefully things change.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

hrmmmmm

"Hi reddit, a site filled with neo-Nazis who are there under the guise of 'free speech' and who actively espouse hate and misogyny, is the Holocaust real? I don't know much about history" is an all-timer

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 5, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

quote:

Dear Care and Feeding,

My daughter (“Sara”) has a spouse (“Jamie”) who recently came out as gender-fluid, and explained that they often feel like a different gender from one day to the next. If this were just about adults interacting, I’m as tolerant as anyone; I’ll call Jamie “he” on Monday and “she” on Tuesday and “they” on Wednesday and whatever else Jamie wishes. Jamie has the right to identify as they might wish, and I respect that.

But this isn’t just about adults interacting. Sara and Jamie have a 6-year-old son (“Danny,” my grandson), and that son needs a father. However, Jamie and Sara are asking Danny to work with Jamie’s fluidity. Some days Jamie is “Daddy” and some days Jamie is “The Other Mommy.” Danny is obviously confused, and was embarrassed the one time I saw Danny around other kids on a Jamie-as-Mommy day. I’ve even seen Sara scold Danny and threaten to give him a time-out for misgendering Jamie. I tried to say something the first time it happened, and after Sara and Jamie sent Danny outside to play, they went off on me about respecting Jamie’s identity. They said that Jamie needs support, and Danny needs to learn to respect people as they are. I’m trying to respect Jamie, but I really believe that his son has to come first, and a 6-year-old is not ready for a parent who switches identities day to day. Danny needs a father who puts his son first. Sara thinks that I’m missing the point, and says they’re raising Danny to think beyond labels, not to be confused by them. What should I do?

— Gramma’s Tolerant, but Come On

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I Canceled My Toddler gonna be an incredibly lucrative oped niche

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The Nazis didn't have the technology to build a big fire???

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I Canceled My Toddler gonna be an incredibly lucrative oped niche
I love it, it's the long-overdue inversion of the Woke Toddler meme.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

For real, everyone should have a registry at Design Toscano
https://www.designtoscano.com/

Dammit I would buy that Shakespeare bust but only if it flipped back and had a button to the batcave.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA For Destroying My Wife’s Dad in One on One Basketball?

quote:

My wife’s Dad is one of those “Back In My Day” kind of guys, and has shown me his high school and adult rec league (seriously) athletic trophies on multiple occasions. I mean, he’s insanely proud of his athletic accomplishments although the most recent one happened 20 years ago.

Well, this past weekend, a few of us were sitting around talking about sports and he proceeds to tell us that he could’ve been a professional basketball player or…swimmer. Two very different sports, but whatever. After we all laughed at him, for some reason, he decided to direct his ire at me and tell me that he’d have kicked my rear end if we were in our athletic primes at the same time, and that he might very well beat me today. Usually, I’d brush this off but he made it a point to go at at me in front of family and friends for zero reason. Also, he’s previously introduced me to others as his daughter’s “ meager unathletic husband,” and on a separate occasion, he told a men’s group at church that he didn’t want me on his side in a team event because I’m allegedly not a “great communicator” and team sports is all about “communicators” in his words. It’s all super weird and unprovoked.

Well, I was a decent player in my day and still play occasionally, and always figured that I could beat him pretty handily (I’m 24 years younger than him). And on this particular day, I’d had a few beverages in me and was feeling a bit frisky. So I readily accepted his challenge to play a game at the elementary school around the corner, to shut this thing down once and for all.

AITA for beating his rear end 11-0 in front of his mom, wife, kids and grandkids?? I knew after a few points I had him but he’s taunted me for years. I then finished his beer when I got back to the house lol.

Update: So my wife stopped by her parents tonight to pick up mail. Her Dad wasn’t home so she asked my MIL where he was at (he’s usually home since he works remotely). Apparently, he was at the school “getting up shots” and has been there three days this week. My wife drove by him on her way home and he was in a full lather. Not sure if I should laugh or cry. 😅

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Smuggins posted:

Dammit I would buy that Shakespeare bust but only if it flipped back and had a button to the batcave.

Here you go. https://www.gentlemandoorautomation.com/store/p106/batman.html . Batcave not included.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe
Thank god it is sold out, my budget would be screwed

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA For Destroying My Wife’s Dad in One on One Basketball?

Is the son in law albert einstein?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

seems like it would be better to revert to gender neutral language and jaime should just be they/parent. i have a friend who is a nonbinary parent and its fine, but switching around terms and expecting a 6yo to keep track/punishing them for it is going to be a problem. 6yo kids can barely remember what day it is and expecting them to keep track of whether to call a person mommy or daddy on variable days may be setting the bar too high, especially giving the kid time out for misgendering

OP is worse for insisting jaime needs to be a he/father though. language like birth parent or non-birth parent is all you need to describe the relationship between a parent and their child. OP claiming to be tolerant but referring to jaime as he, yikes

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Smuggins posted:

Thank god it is sold out, my budget would be screwed

But how will you open your garage door now? With a normal button like the poors? Or God forbid - MANUALLY???

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm curious how they communicate to the 6-year-old what today's pronouns are. Like is there a magnetic board on the refrigerator or what

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

rotinaj posted:

:jerkbag:

The story feels fragmented and has massive leaps of logic...

No. It doesn't.

Feel free to fanfic why the OP is somehow a monster but you don't get to pretend there are problems in the story when you don't personally see a good reason to be angry at the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

"I bet OP opposes teaching CRT" is a helllllll of a leap from "we were discussing student loans."

The woman in the story could have just heard the word "student" or "school" and butted in with a blistering take. Have you never had a busybody jump in on a conversation they know nothing about?