Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Microwaves are generally not very useful but they can quickly steam vegetables and can be a useful replacement for parboiling because they don’t cause the food to take on additional water. They can also be used to fry herbs if you put them on some plastic wrap with oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Microwaves own because when I'm hungry, I'm hungry now, I don't want to wait an hour for dinner. A microwave gets me my food in ten minutes or less.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I cook full meals in my oven in like 20 minutes, not as fast as a microwave but not a huge difference either

They come out so good and fresh too. Cleaning the toaster oven after using it each time isn't great, but it's better to just embrace cleaning everything everyday regularly, weed can make it a very pleasant experience

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
SMTV is suddenly downloading to my Switch! Just one more week. The Icon is kinda dull though

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

Other than that I can't think of a purpose for a microwave because everything else can be reheated by just putting it in the oven at 200°F

Refried beans cheese and salsa between a couple of tortillas, nuke for 3 minutes or so. It's my basic "can't be arsed" breakfast, not too fond of other things in that niche like scrambled eggs.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

hatty posted:

SMTV is suddenly downloading to my Switch! Just one more week. The Icon is kinda dull though

Meanwhile I wanted to get it physical but was waiting to see if the retailer I have a discount at had it listed but it seems it won't and now preorders are out of stock everywhere in my country, I'm dumb :negative:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
is the fiend dlc for smt 5 somewhere. where is it. where do i buy it

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s on the deluxe edition page. I have it wishlisted because I can’t buy it yet

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

Genki stuff is backordered, but is the Jumpgate dock you're talking about this thing (https://www.amazon.com/Skull-Co-Det...ps%2C146&sr=8-3)?

Yup, they were the first dock that didn't brick people and they backed that up by having a YouTube channel dedicated to showing a switch on the dock getting the next system update for a year or more. The engineer of it was also the first to do a write up on how the usb c worked in regards to the switch's compatibility with the standard. Now that I have the genki, I use the jump gate at home for another room.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

NEVERMIND I forgot about the slide.

Metroid Dread. Possibly soft locked in Catarsis

I just got to Catarsis and activated the thermal switch. The only way forward is through one destructible block on the right but I don't have the morph ball.

I can't clgo back because the thermal door is locked. I can't divert the magma back to unlock the door. Help!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Microwaves own because when I'm hungry, I'm hungry now, I don't want to wait an hour for dinner. A microwave gets me my food in ten minutes or less.

you gotta start cooking before you're paralyzed with hunger!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

NEVERMIND I forgot about the slide.

Metroid Dread. Possibly soft locked in Catarsis

I just got to Catarsis and activated the thermal switch. The only way forward is through one destructible block on the right but I don't have the morph ball.

I can't clgo back because the thermal door is locked. I can't divert the magma back to unlock the door. Help!

y can't metroid slide

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Read After Burning posted:

I can't wait to make pizza in Animal Crossing. :colbert:

Oddly enough, you can't actually use the brick pizza oven in the game.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Looper posted:

you gotta start cooking before you're paralyzed with hunger!!

No way, that's time I could be spending playing my Nintendo Switch.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Twelve by Pies posted:

No way, that's time I could be spending playing my Nintendo Switch.

Learn to smoke brisket.

18 hours of "I can't, I'm smoking a brisket" which is 1 hour of actual work and 17 hours of playing Nintendo Switch and at the end you have smoked brisket.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Speaking of Animal Crossing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haz5aFiJ9Io

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oddly enough, you can't actually use the brick pizza oven in the game.

Boo! D: Now I have to re-arrange my bistro area, that's what I planned to use as an outdoor stove.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
gently caress I forgot SMT was coming so soon. I still have 4 other games I wanna finish up before moving onto it. Life is unfair.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 22, 2021

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Gutcruncher posted:

gently caress I forgot SMT was coming so soon. I still have 4 other games I wanna finish up before moving onto it. Life is unfair.

I was about to start strange journey last night!! Then I was like wait lmao SMTV is a week awa

As far as RPGs go nothing really hits like SMT or even persona in a pinch. Ohh etrian odyssey is also very very good for weirdos who like RPGs that are very mechanics heavy

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Ok. Time to move on finally. It took me 5 failed attempts, which I don't think is bad, but there were the cutscenes, and I can't believe you can't skip or fast-forward through them, it's remarkable.
Apparently FFX's coding is a mess. The reason some VA lines sound so awkward is apparently because the game expects all the voice lines to be the exact same length as the Japanese file, otherwise the game hard crashes. So in order to make the English VA work, they not only had to very carefully choose their translations and coach the VAs to get them to say lines at just the right speed, they had to speed up or slow down some lines in editing to make them exactly match. Likewise, apparently there's something in the horrible eldritch spaghetti code preventing Squenix from implementing a cutscene skip. The game probably explodes or something.

Achmed Jones posted:

does SMT have the mechanic where if you knock all the bad guys down, your team gangs up on them? or is that persona (or maybe just p4) only?
All-Out Attacks are Persona, specifically from 3 on. SMT has the Press Turn system, where hitting an elemental weakness essentially gives you an extra turn, and you can get an extra turn per party member you have. Except Strange Journey, which has Co-Op Attacks, which IIRC work kind of like All-Out Attacks, except you need party members of the same alignment.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

We also got our NES Christmas of 88. Was that the year most kids got one? Wikipedia says it debuted in 85 in NA?
Took my family a bit longer to get one. I don't remember exactly when we got ours, but I'm pretty sure we had it for the release of SMB3. I remember being excited for the Happy Meal toys at McDonald's.

Why do 8bitdo controllers sometimes just... not pair with the switch?

Sometimes it's just that they need more charge but other times rebooting the switch fixes it?

I'm using the SF30 Pro if it matters.
Haven't had a problem with my Pro 2. I have been having a strange problem recently where Steam isn't recognizing any of my 8BitDo controllers (Pro 2, M30, and the USB adapter) in XInput mode, but they work fine in every other mode so I haven't really been motivated to look up the problem.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 5, 2021

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

We also got our NES Christmas of 88. Was that the year most kids got one? Wikipedia says it debuted in 85 in NA?

I got mine in either '87 or '88. I was 8 but my birthday is early January so I can't exactly remember when.

I know I got the Genesis in '91 because I specifically wanted Shining Force because the box looked cool.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Technically the NES launched in North America in '85 but it was a soft launch in New York as a test market. It launched nationwide in '86 but didn't pick up steam until '87, which was also the year of many pivotal releases: Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, Mega Man.

In '88 Nintendo released the NES Action Set which was price reduced and included the Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt combo cart as a pack-in. So yes, the holidays that year is when it really exploded.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Okay that tracks. My mom worked at the Daytona toys r us so we had a direct line at the time.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Except Strange Journey, which has Co-Op Attacks, which IIRC work kind of like All-Out Attacks, except you need party members of the same alignment.

They're not really all-out attacks, just one extra attack from every party member that matches the alignment of the one that initiates the co-op attack. I think the MC can get a special sub app that allows him to participate with a demon of any alignment. I think they're about equivalent to the demon's normal attack command, and deal Almighty damage.

In the original SJ they were nice and definitely helpful, but not really worth trying to specifically build a team around. I think Redux changed the formula so they're a little more powerful and actually can make a difference and thus can be worth trying to specifically exploit. But it's probably not a good idea to rely on it too much, since the final boss has attacks that only hit demons of specific alignments, so you kind of want one of each alignment in your team, which limits co-op attacks (or you can just gamble and hope the boss doesn't use the attack for the one alignment you stack :v: ).

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Little late to the grip/controller discussion, but I have to go to bat for this BicycleStore Charging Grip. My wife and I already had experience with the Vita's sleek design leading to fingers and hands falling asleep during gameplay and ended up with a grip for that system which is more or less of the same design. Even with an OG Switch we knew we'd like to fawn over the size of the screen and how games would look instead of leaving it in permadock. It's nice for both her tiny hands and my catcher's mitts, is lightweight, has a back case that holds six game cards and two microSD cards, and the ability to charge through the grip is absolutely a godsend to mitigate the shortish battery life. While I'm not 100% if the OLED sizing is the same or not, I can at least vouch for it as a good grip and something no one using portable mode should be without.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I would buy that just because the name 'Bicycle Store' rules.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

I e just given up on finishing games these days. I play stuff for 10 hours and move on and that’s fine

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Are there any plans to bring Trails in The Sky to the Switch? I have the PlayStation version, but want to play handheld...and keeping my Vita charged is :effort:.

EDIT: Looks like the Vita version is Japan only, anyway.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You could get the PSP version, which came out in English, and play that on Vita if you're that interested in the game, or maybe wait for the Steam Deck if you've got a reservation on that. But afaik there haven't been any announcements regarding Switch ports. I think the most recent Trails related announcement was the one where they're using the Geofront translation as the official one for the Crossbell arc? Which is coming to Switch, IIRC.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I was told my OLED Switch is currently stuck in a processing center and it'd be weeks before I'd likely receive it due to the place being short-staffed...

And then it turned up this afternoon! :bubblewoop:. It's definitely not worth replacing an existing Switch if you have one already, but it is very nice! (For the record mine's getting replaced because it's a launch Switch with the dodgy fan and I can see a bulge in the corner of the screen and :yikes:.)

Edit: The new docking station is very nice and much better than the old one. Would've liked that third USB port kept somewhere on it though (the internal one is replaced with a sorely-needed Ethernet port at least), as if you've got the Smash adapter it's gonna take them both.

Edit2: Okay, one minor nitpick; If you're gonna go for the whole monochrome colour scheme Nintendo, why not use the white JoyCon covers from the Skyward Sword set rather than the regular black ones? They pair so nicely with the new white JoyCons! :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 6, 2021

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

NH is a very pretty game.

Kinda crazy GTA is out on Thursday. Won't be getting it right away but that's pretty neat. I hope it runs well.

I maybe run in the wrong circles but it's surprising to me FFX isn't mentioned in the same tones as FFVI or FFVII. Is it quite as good as those? Maybe not. The story's not quite there, but kinda since you're in an arguable World of Ruin from the get go, and the characterization is different. But I'm enjoying it so much more than FFVIII and FFIX. I'm not far in, I know, but Tidus and Yuna do a much better job of being "teens" as opposed to Squall and Rinoa and their attraction though clearly based on something and looks is far more organic. And while ultimately IX was great I warmed up to it very slowly and it's gameplay is nowhere near as good as the battling in X.

The Sphere grid is very neat, I can see myself going back one day and going with the open grid and the battling while simplistic is fun, since you need a bit of thought. I imagine it looked less nice on the PS2, but this version is gorgeous. It looks great.

The plot is good too even if not as grandiose as VI and VII. It's subtle but Yuna's a sacrifice isn't she? Also I suspect the main villain is Seymour but that's just based on looks. Please don't deny or confirm those suppositions because I'm quite curious to see where it goes.

Also, Tidus keeps narrating from an unknown point in the future which is pretty effective. I can't help but wonder if we ever catch up to that point.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

You could get the PSP version, which came out in English, and play that on Vita if you're that interested in the game, or maybe wait for the Steam Deck if you've got a reservation on that. But afaik there haven't been any announcements regarding Switch ports. I think the most recent Trails related announcement was the one where they're using the Geofront translation as the official one for the Crossbell arc? Which is coming to Switch, IIRC.

I do have the Steam Deck reserved, so I guess I'll just wait on that. I'm pretty sure I have the PSP version, since I was playing it on my PS4 and there's no English port for that system.

I guess I'll consider myself lucky that Cold Steel 1 and the Crossbell arc are coming to Switch.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I imagine it looked less nice on the PS2, but this version is gorgeous. It looks great.

It always looked pretty good. Square had some secret sauces in hair physics and went nuts with it in game. Then other people figured it out.

I was completely blown away by FFX graphics when it came out.

If day it's the last time Square knocked it out of the park but have you seen the food in FFXV?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I was told my OLED Switch is currently stuck in a processing center and it'd be weeks before I'd likely receive it due to the place being short-staffed...

And then it turned up this afternoon! :bubblewoop:. It's definitely not worth replacing an existing Switch if you have one already, but it is very nice! (For the record mine's getting replaced because it's a launch Switch with the dodgy fan and I can see a bulge in the corner of the screen and :yikes:.)

Edit: The new docking station is very nice and much better than the old one. Would've liked that third USB port kept somewhere on it though (the internal one is replaced with a sorely-needed Ethernet port at least), as if you've got the Smash adapter it's gonna take them both.

Edit2: Okay, one minor nitpick; If you're gonna go for the whole monochrome colour scheme Nintendo, why not use the white JoyCon covers from the Skyward Sword set rather than the regular black ones? They pair so nicely with the new white JoyCons! :colbert:

That's just where the extra graphics go when you are running something easy like a 2d game. Run some high powered 3d games and it'll flatten right out

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Kinda crazy GTA is out on Thursday. Won't be getting it right away but that's pretty neat. I hope it runs well.

I maybe run in the wrong circles but it's surprising to me FFX isn't mentioned in the same tones as FFVI or FFVII. Is it quite as good as those? Maybe not. The story's not quite there, but kinda since you're in an arguable World of Ruin from the get go, and the characterization is different. But I'm enjoying it so much more than FFVIII and FFIX. I'm not far in, I know, but Tidus and Yuna do a much better job of being "teens" as opposed to Squall and Rinoa and their attraction though clearly based on something and looks is far more organic. And while ultimately IX was great I warmed up to it very slowly and it's gameplay is nowhere near as good as the battling in X.

The Sphere grid is very neat, I can see myself going back one day and going with the open grid and the battling while simplistic is fun, since you need a bit of thought. I imagine it looked less nice on the PS2, but this version is gorgeous. It looks great.

The plot is good too even if not as grandiose as VI and VII. It's subtle but Yuna's a sacrifice isn't she? Also I suspect the main villain is Seymour but that's just based on looks. Please don't deny or confirm those suppositions because I'm quite curious to see where it goes.

Also, Tidus keeps narrating from an unknown point in the future which is pretty effective. I can't help but wonder if we ever catch up to that point.

If I recall, a lot of the complaints concerning X when it came out was that it was very linear, there was awkward early 2000's voice acting (though the laughing scene is absolutely intentional and it's stupid that people didn't realize it back then), and that a full 100% playthrough is absolutely insane.

Basically, the hype was already starting for Square to just make FF7 But Newer again, when instead we got the game we got.

All that said- I think X is great! I'll still have a soft spot for IX like you, but the battle system in X is still one of my favorite turn-based ones to this day. :)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

ffx is the best non-multiplayer final fantasy and it isn't close. game owns and i'm glad to see people having fun with it

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Chieves posted:

If I recall, a lot of the complaints concerning X when it came out was that it was very linear, there was awkward early 2000's voice acting (though the laughing scene is absolutely intentional and it's stupid that people didn't realize it back then), and that a full 100% playthrough is absolutely insane.

Basically, the hype was already starting for Square to just make FF7 But Newer again, when instead we got the game we got.

All that said- I think X is great! I'll still have a soft spot for IX like you, but the battle system in X is still one of my favorite turn-based ones to this day. :)

That's funny. I guess it's a bit linear so far but most FF games are until you get your airship anyway. Linearity is a dumb complaint I find. With the glut of open world games, it's nice to have a straight path to take sometimes considering how poorly open-world can be implemented.

I actually really like the voice-acting. It's not perfect but I think it's better than I would've expected. And yeah I finally saw that laughing scene and it's very good. There's a real heart that you don't get in the other games thanks to the voice acting, the good-enough writing, and good graphics.

Like I adore 6 and the way it manages to give personality to those sprites with just some language and few animations is astonishing and all credit to them, but it goes to show what they can do with proper resources.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Hello thread, I was thinking about picking up the new Mario Party for Christmas to play with my 6 year old and wife. I searched the thread and it seems like it’s being well received. I’ve never bought one before but have been looking for something new to play with them and this seems like it would be fun. Any thoughts on it for a kid that age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The number one thing to know about mario party is that you should never ever expect to win, the game will mercilessly gently caress you. So if your 6 year old can handle being on the cusp of victory only to have the game arbitrarily take away stars and give them to someone else, (while all the other players hoot and holler at the misfortune) it should be fine.