Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I guess what that dude did was riding a horse, technically speaking.

Pretty sure the horse rode him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

I wasn't joking

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

as a Lions fan, :rubby:

The one team in the NFCN that is good just pants on head crazy.

I look forward to the Lions going 0-17 and nothing changing.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Iraq getting spicy with a contested election

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...304e_story.html

quote:

Backers of Iran-linked militias try to storm Baghdad’s Green Zone after election losses
By Mustafa Salim & Louisa Loveluck

BAGHDAD — Supporters of Iran-backed militias clashed Friday with Iraqi security forces outside the fortified Green Zone complex as tensions spiked over the results of national elections last month.

At least 125 people were injured, according to Iraq’s Health Ministry. Kataib Hezbollah, one of the most powerful militias, said three people had been killed.

Iran-backed groups have been demanding a recount of the Oct. 10 parliamentary election results, which saw Shiite Muslim cleric Moqtada al-Sadr’s party secure the most seats even though the influential Fatah alliance of Iran-linked parties won more votes. The discrepancy appears to be the result of a superior electoral strategy on the part of Sadr’s party.

After the Fatah alliance saw its seats in parliament cut by about two-thirds, militia supporters began camping outside the gated Green Zone, which is home to government offices and foreign embassies. For several weeks, the protesters have rotated shifts inside tents on the sidewalk or sitting outside under banners that denounce Iraq’s election as fraudulent.

On Thursday, the alliance decided to escalate, urging supporters to storm the Green Zone and calling the demonstration Friday their “last chance.” When they arrived at two separate gates, security forces opened fire at protesters.

The protesters, however, did not disperse. By late afternoon in an area to the south of the Green Zone, young men were pounding sections of the sidewalk into pieces, before hurling them at security forces. “Why are you just standing there?” one of the men called to others gathered. “Come and stone them with us!”

When asked by a reporter why protesters had not dispersed outside the Green Zone as security forces tried to push them back, militia representatives said they had received orders for their cadres to stay put.

The Health Ministry said almost 100 of those treated for injuries were from the security forces.

“We follow with great anger the hideous state of repression with which the government authorities deal with peaceful demonstrators,” said Hadi al-Amiri, leader of the Fatah alliance.

Qais al-Khazali, leader of the Iran-linked Asaib Ahl al-Haq group, condemned the violence and urged justice for the wounded demonstrators. “Whoever they were, they must be held accountable,” he said, referring to the security forces.

Iraq’s military said Friday that Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi had ordered an investigation into the violence.

The escalation came as Sadr and his representatives met in Baghdad with leaders of Shiite, Sunni and Kurdish parties, raising the prospect that he would move ahead with the formation of a government that would marginalize Iran-linked factions.

Foreign observers have broadly endorsed the results of Iraq’s October election, saying it proceeded “smoothly” and with significantly less fraud on voting day than in previous years. But the vote was marred by one of the lowest turnouts in the country’s history, reflecting widespread apathy and disillusionment over corruption and a lack of accountability.

The country’s electoral commission began a partial manual recount of the vote last week, saying that, so far, initial results have stayed the same.

Iran’s influence is marbled throughout Iraq’s economy and political system, and Tehran backs a network of powerful armed groups that make its authority clear in the corridors of power and out on the streets.

Human rights groups say Iran and Sadr-linked militias have assassinated dozens of their critics in recent years, sending ripples of fear through an anti-government protest movement that toppled Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi two years ago this month.

As night fell Friday, the violence had largely died down, but several hundred protesters remained out on the streets. Eyeing them warily, a commander in the security forces said he was worried.

“They are mobilizing,” he said. “We are afraid they might bring their weapons.”

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I guess this is the level of political discourse these days?

https://twitter.com/laurenboebert/status/1456425970806763520

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's also a Hatch Act violation according to an email I got a day or two ago!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm in a perpetual state of mortified and the only difficulty with making that statement is figuring out for how long

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looking like Infrastructure Week is FINALLY ending!

The Bipartisan bit is likely to pass in the next 2-3 hours, along with a rule governing the Build Back Better rule. The full BBB bill will be a few weeks, pending a CBO score that six Democratic shitmods want. The progressives' compromise is getting a statement out of the shitmods, with Biden's backing, that the shitmods will vote for the BBB bill if the CBO score is close to the JCT/White House estimates.

Once that's done, the BBB will get Manchinized in the Senate and punted back, so maybe that bit gets done by Thanksgiving.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

These loving children. Don't pretend "teehee hee we have a secret code", just come out and say gently caress Joe Biden. Nothing wrong with hating politicians just don't pretend you're doing something clever or smart with your bullshit

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I can't wait to vote against her next year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Another symptom of Hellworld:
https://www.reuters.com/breakingvie..._source=twitter

Black Rifle Coffee Company, the preferred bean water of chuds and "I totally would have enlisted back in 2007 but didn't but yet my opinion on X matters more than yours" types, is going to go public and is somehow valued at $1.7 billion USD.

That meme of a guy in the corner at a party saying "I bet all these snowflakes are triggered by my BRCC mug" and "you"re welcome for my service"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Proud Christian Mom posted:

It's the intersection of "has people who tell him everything he wants to hear" and "traumatic brain injuries"

Don't forget that to a lot of pro athletes, doctors are The Enemy and they're all out to bench you so they can bet against your team. Also I heard the COVID vaccine totally makes you weak and foggy-headed and poo poo. Some guy in the locker room said he heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy whom it happened to.

Except the doctors that give them opiates, cortisone injections, and clear them for play when they're hurt. Those dudes are ~bros~, bruh.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:siren: INFRASTRUCTURE WEEK IS OVER :siren:

https://twitter.com/pkcapitol/status/1456826163427483652?t=ExlsqGd8av5s6n82vY3U5Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/HouseInSession/status/1456826435734327301

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1456826334781575170

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 6, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
RIP Infrastructure Week, born June 5th, 2017, Died November 5th, 2021.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1456828319157075970

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

2.5 billion for ferries, tyvm, nice to have my contributions recognised. Should I expect a personal cheque?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Looking forward to the inevitable stab in the back when the other bill gets sliced, diced, pureed, folded, spindled, and mutilated in hideously drawn out bullshit negotiations before finally being ignored and not passed. This will, conveniently, take up the entirety of the remaining legislative agenda before midterms and ensure nothing gets done before dems lose it all.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bird food bathtub posted:

Looking forward to the inevitable stab in the back when the other bill gets sliced, diced, pureed, folded, spindled, and mutilated in hideously drawn out bullshit negotiations before finally being ignored and not passed. This will, conveniently, take up the entirety of the remaining legislative agenda before midterms and ensure nothing gets done before dems lose it all.

I mean this sincerely - I have no loving idea if this improves/decreases the chances of BBB passing.

Shitmods have been searching for a reason to kill BBB for a while, but the SALT deduction rides on BBB passing and a lot of the SALT-loving Democrats are the shitmods. Sinema is drat near fully on board at this point, but Manchin has been making noises like he wants to kill the whole thing while also saying it will likely pass by Thanksgiving. Progressives are pissed because they think the shitmods/Manchin got what they wanted (the beloved half loaf) and will now kill BBB, but conservatives are pissed at the Republicans that helped pass the infrastructure bill because they think that leads to a better chance of BBB passing. Meanwhile, Biden will not stop talking about all of the stuff in the BBB that he wants, so it's not like he's going to just sit idle either.

So I'm not trying to think about it too hard - there's a lot of good, good loving money in that Infrastructure bill and Donnie couldn't even do any of it in four years with a megacongress.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
doesn’t this still have to pass the senate

cause lol passing in the house means nothing

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Naramyth posted:

Infrastructure Week is on Biden's desk, as the Bipartisan Infrastructure Framework bill cleared the Senate months ago. The Build Back Better bill (reconciliation) absolutely is going to get skullfucked by the Senate if it ever clears the House because it hasn't passed anything yet :toot:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Naramyth posted:

Passed the senate in August, it's on the president's desk now.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Xenoborg posted:

Covid vaccine already has much higher uptake rate than the average flu shot. Anyone who was going to even consider getting a flu shot will have gotten a covid one.

Anecdotally I've never gotten a flu shot in my life and got my vaccine very early.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Nick Soapdish posted:

The one team in the NFCN that is good just pants on head crazy.

I look forward to the Lions going 0-17 and nothing changing.

I don't think the Lions are going to go 0-17, but on the other hand I willingly paid money to watch them get crushed against the Eagles so my judgement is suspect in this regard.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

2.5 billion for ferries, tyvm, nice to have my contributions recognised. Should I expect a personal cheque?

As soon as you’re Jones Act compliant!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

:luca: gets a treat subsidy, but you have to come visit to collect.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

Looking like Infrastructure Week is FINALLY ending!

The Bipartisan bit is likely to pass in the next 2-3 hours, along with a rule governing the Build Back Better rule. The full BBB bill will be a few weeks, pending a CBO score that six Democratic shitmods want. The progressives' compromise is getting a statement out of the shitmods, with Biden's backing, that the shitmods will vote for the BBB bill if the CBO score is close to the JCT/White House estimates.

Once that's done, the BBB will get Manchinized in the Senate and punted back, so maybe that bit gets done by Thanksgiving.

Great news to wake up to.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Here's a funny tidbit to the infrastructure bill. The house passed a version that amends section 6050i (which requires banks/business to report person's info to IRS if they pay in more than $10k in cash) to include crypto transactions as well. This means any business in the USA that accepts crypto will have to do full reporting on all transactions in excess of $10k.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

oh yeah, progressives totally caved, Manchin and Sinema can kill the social bill now as the House has no leverage. progressives always said they'd wait for agreement and passage of the social bill before they passed the infra bill. the only ones who voted "no" were trying to preserve their twitter rep after it was clear the bill would pass by the vote count

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here's a funny tidbit to the infrastructure bill. The house passed a version that amends section 6050i (which requires banks/business to report person's info to IRS if they pay in more than $10k in cash) to include crypto transactions as well. This means any business in the USA that accepts crypto will have to do full reporting on all transactions in excess of $10k.

Good. Let’s see how all those crypto dorks act now about it since it’s no different than any other regular currency now.

And even beyond taxes, that it’s just good for anti-money laundering and anti-terrorism and just tons of other important regulatory and legal purposes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I actually misread it at first - it's not crypto transactions in excess of 10k. It's receipt of any digital asset defined as "any digital representation of value which is recorded on a cryptographically secured distributed ledger or any similar technology as specified by the Secretary"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nice. Any crypto. Lol. I hope the IRS opens a whole new wing to audit that poo poo.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

I actually misread it at first - it's not crypto transactions in excess of 10k. It's receipt of any digital asset defined as "any digital representation of value which is recorded on a cryptographically secured distributed ledger or any similar technology as specified by the Secretary"

Good, that should prevent “I’m not touching it” bullshit excuses and defenses. After working on something recently where I got to examine a lot of crypto transactions, this is absolutely needed.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Nice. Any crypto. Lol. I hope the IRS opens a whole new wing to audit that poo poo.

:bisonyes::bustem:

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 6, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah I forgot about that:

https://www.coindesk.com/business/2021/11/06/house-sends-infrastructure-bill-with-crypto-tax-provision-to-us-president/

Cryptos did a full-press on the Senate right before the bill passed, and the Senate was all like "what's a crypto lol". This wasn't a thing that the house would amend and send back to the Senate about, so get hosed cryptos.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

We can do all that after we actually put enough money and manpower into going after the oligarchs and taxing them into oblivion.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

As an outsider looking in, why would the Dems who voted against this bill do so? Didn't go far enough is my initial reasoning, am I far off here?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Burt posted:

As an outsider looking in, why would the Dems who voted against this bill do so? Didn't go far enough is my initial reasoning, am I far off here?

Because they wanted the build back better social bill to pass first, or in tandem with infrastructure. Now the leverage for the BBB social bill is pretty much gone.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Youngkin's underage son tried to vote twice for his daddy.

https://www.newser.com/story/313055/election-officials-stopped-youngkins-son-17-from-voting.html posted:

Glenn Youngkin's fears about election integrity have been vindicated, at least in the case of one would-be voter. Someone in Virginia tried to cast a vote Tuesday who wasn't eligible—the candidate's son. Voters have to be at least 18 years old to vote in the state, and Youngkin's son is 17. He was turned away from a polling place twice, the Washington Post reports. A statement issued Friday by Fairfax County election officials said the teenager did not violate any Virginia election laws. His father, a Republican, had a better day, winning the governorship by defeating Democrat Terry McAuliffe in a close race.

The precinct captain said Youngkin's son showed his driver's license at a polling place in the Great Falls Library. Jennifer Chanty said she realized who he was when she looked at the license, then told him he had to be at least 18 to cast a ballot. She suggested he register then so he could vote in the next election, but he said no and left. About 20 minutes later, Chanty told the Post, he returned and tried again. A 17-year-old friend had been allowed to vote, he told Chanty. "I told him: 'I don’t know what occurred with your friend, but you are not registered to vote today. You're welcome to register, but you will not be voting today,'" she said Friday.

The county elections boss said Youngkin's son didn't disrupt the polling place or make any false statements. His father made an issue of "election integrity" during his primary campaign, creating a task force of citizens to work "to ensure free and fair elections in Virginia." A spokesman for the governor-elect blamed the side Youngkin defeated, per CNN, saying they're "pitching opposition research on a 17-year-old kid who honestly misunderstood Virginia election law and simply asked polling officials if he was eligible to vote; when informed he was not, he went to school."

https://www.newser.com/story/313055/election-officials-stopped-youngkins-son-17-from-voting.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Youngkin's underage son tried to vote twice for his daddy.

Maybe he tried to vote for the other guy.

Could you blame him?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I have my doubts in that, not everyone is a Conway kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1456888911414841345?t=0vWQH5erCKFIViH8ovxSDQ&s=19

This is what it was like BEFORE the crowd surge:

https://twitter.com/tornandra/status/1456980766110388229?t=NRB1Red23mLPHP_IXCkUdA&s=19

https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1456918606357442564?t=-znYv3cyCBr62_RDWC9kHA&s=19

Crush incidents are almost always bad crowd control design and insufficient security, so people were dying to see Sicko Mode.