Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

jng2058 posted:

This one feels like a serious monkey's paw scenario. You know, like taking the Lucifer comic book and making it a police procedural. Or the mangling that happened when they let Stephanie Meyer adapt The Rook. I fear unless you got some really dedicated Amber fans in charge of the show that you'd end up with "Corwin without his memory on Earth as a superhero/troubleshooter" or some such bullshit. :rolleyes:

or the discworld series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

ChubbyChecker posted:

or the discworld series

How was the Watch-series? I haven't seen it yet. Didn't even realize it came out.

The Discworld movies were mostly great. That's probably the best format for Pratchets books anyway.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 3, 2021

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

jng2058 posted:

You know, like taking the Lucifer comic book and making it a police procedural.

Lucifer was pretty good for first couple season, even if it didn't have much to do with the originals.
Same with JMS Jeremiah tv-show. Excellent 2 season series that had nothing in common with the comics.

Now Dresden files series, that was a real stinker.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

adhuin posted:

How was the Watch-series? I haven't seen it yet. Didn't even realize it came out.

The Discworld movies were mostly great. That's probably the best format for Pratchets books anyway.

the watch series was very atrocious and non-pratchetty

and pratchett's books aren't really filmable

his style is to use literary techniques that don't work on screen

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

It's true. Those movies try their best but they're pretty bad

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/SharonTalYguado/status/1455920489159741447?s=20

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

adhuin posted:

Or Moorcocks Eternal Champion stuff.

How many women are there? One in each story, to serve as the Eternal Champion's lover interest? Dorian Hawkmoon's girlfriend at least fights sometimes, but Dorian is mostly adventuring with one of his other companions.

adhuin posted:

if this succeeds they should do Robin Hobbs Farseer-books next.

These would be much better from a modern representative perspective. With Altea's story for example. Although that would be an abrupt shift in protagonists. Otherwise you'd be stuck with Kettricken and Patience, which isn't a lot. At least the Fool is non-binary.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XHqCEJbLDo

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

adhuin posted:

it was an abomination, and so unlike Pratchett to be considered stolen IP.

Imagine making a show called "Cheers" and it had all the same named characters but instead it's set in space and everyone swears a lot

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

ChubbyChecker posted:

Going Postal was ok, if only because Charles Dance

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

LegoMan posted:

it was an abomination, and so unlike Pratchett to be considered stolen IP.

Imagine making a show called "Cheers" and it had all the same named characters but instead it's set in space and everyone swears a lot

I'm imagining it now and uh can we get swear-y space Cheers, please? Bezos, make it happen

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ChubbyChecker posted:

I’m imagining the story where a bunch of soldiers are revealed to be woman passing as men one by one and the MC’s internal narration changes the gender of pronouns they use for them, sometimes mid-sentence, as they change their mind on how they think of them. Sometimes even flipping back as they change their mind again .

No direct “so I decided to call them a girl” line. He just trusts the reader to pick up what’s going on and not get confused. That would not at all translate to a TV show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I've never actually seen "Hogfather" in it's totality, but I certainly enjoy watching clips of it on YouTube because it seems to get the cheesy but hopeful tone of most Discword stuff. Scenes like Death talking to Susan about how people need hope are great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBnENlXt-H4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG7buZJFLCE

I enjoy the Hex stuff too. Death exhorting the world's first computer to believe because the world needs all the belief it can muster, and Hex pausing as it computes that before replying with it's Hogswatch wish list is just plain fun too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN3tLnlixkY

The cast is pretty excellent too. I don't know who was playing Death or Susan, but both have really strong performances of Pratchett's words in the scenes I've seen of it. David Jason as Albert is fantastic too. Just the right amount of crotchety git.

I'm still kind of shocked no studio has plundered Discworld for a cinematic universe, as it seems primed for it. Whoever played Death would rake in a fortune for life too, so long as it was even moderately successful.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

tsob posted:

I've never actually seen "Hogfather" in it's totality, but I certainly enjoy watching clips of it on YouTube because it seems to get the cheesy but hopeful tone of most Discword stuff. Scenes like Death talking to Susan about how people need hope are great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBnENlXt-H4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG7buZJFLCE

I enjoy the Hex stuff too. Death exhorting the world's first computer to believe because the world needs all the belief it can muster, and Hex pausing as it computes that before replying with it's Hogswatch wish list is just plain fun too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN3tLnlixkY

The cast is pretty excellent too. I don't know who was playing Death or Susan, but both have really strong performances of Pratchett's words in the scenes I've seen of it. David Jason as Albert is fantastic too. Just the right amount of crotchety git.

I'm still kind of shocked no studio has plundered Discworld for a cinematic universe, as it seems primed for it. Whoever played Death would rake in a fortune for life too, so long as it was even moderately successful.

Hogfather is still an annual watch for me around Christmas. I think it's the best of the movie adaptations. Susan was from Downton Abbey, and Teatime was very well done.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Nynaeve teaser:

https://twitter.com/freedoughnut/status/1456795353781608453?s=20

Sixtyforces
Aug 29, 2019

Where am I?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Nynaeve teaser:

This is giving me some pretty heavy Shannara Chronicles tv series vibes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sixtyforces posted:

gently caress, don't say that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sixtyforces posted:

You mean it's going to be better than the source material?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jedit posted:

You mean it's going to be better than the source material?

lol

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I had such a crush on Lanfear as a kid and I hope they don't mess up her casting.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Hizawk posted:

I had such a crush on Lanfear as a kid and I hope they don't mess up her casting.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Should be updated to more modern sensibilities:

9 feet tall and horny:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I mean, I'm sure Lanfear would be willing to do some cosplay to get her man given everything else she does in the books.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Lanfear has the most horny theater-kid energy of all the Forsaken.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah she's extremely thirsty and that is a very attractive thing for the teen boys who were reading the first few books in the late 90s.

e: In 2021 I'm far more into the "let's kill god" aspect of her approach.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I think Jennifer Connelly would kill it as Lanfear.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Pleads posted:

Yeah she's extremely thirsty and that is a very attractive thing for the teen boys who were reading the first few books in the late 90s.

e: In 2021 I'm far more into the "let's kill god" aspect of her approach.

light book spoilers below

To some extent Lanfear plays into male gaze/expectation on purpose though. There’s at least a few times throughout the series where she appears to Rand or Perrin playing the hot damsel in distress and then drops the act when they figure it out.

She also kind of explicitly says that her whole “thirsty for Lews Therin” thing was always about power/possession, not actual love or desire. If she falls into a trope she’s more the femme fatale/black widow type

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 10, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

y'all seem to be pretty sure that first time show viewers know who the hell all of you are even talking about

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Hey let's maybe not talk about characters from beyond book 1 in this thread please, there's a very active Book Bran thread for full series discussion.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

quote:

Rosamund Pike has revealed that her new feminist fantasy series The Wheel of Time will show 'more naked men than women'.

The actress, 42, said it was 'quite pleasing' to readdress the nudity imbalance 'since women have been asked to expose themselves forever and a day.'

Rosamund plays Moiraine in the six-part fantasy-drama - which has been dubbed Amazon's answer to Game of Thrones - based on the Robert Jordan novels of the same name.

She told The Radio Times: 'You see many more naked men than you see naked women, which is quite pleasing, since women have been asked to expose themselves forever and a day.

'We've got all the boys frantically dieting and working out hard for their naked scenes and all of the women going out for lovely dinners.'

The actress said Jordan's background in the US army was relevant to his depiction of the characters.

'When I found out that Robert Jordan had been a helicopter gunner in Vietnam, I thought, oh, that's where this big fantasy world originates. That's why he's interested in men who had power and abused it and broke the world,' she said

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10181743/Rosamund-Pike-reveals-naked-men-women-Wheel-Time.html

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

six-part fantasy drama?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
First season is kind of short, I guess.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

silvergoose posted:

six-part fantasy drama?

It's the Daily Mail. Their readers and writers both can't count above the fingers on one hand.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Jedit posted:

It's the Daily Mail. Their readers and writers both can't count above the fingers on one hand.

i loled at

quote:

In the show Magician Moiraine, a member of a mystical all-female organisation,

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

tsob posted:

First season is kind of short, I guess.

It's eight episodes per season. The six part thing seems to be a replicating error in various media coverage.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah it's kinda funny how things are listed given that it's the daily mail, the comments are suitably fitting given the website it is. got some hopping mad people out there, lol

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah it's kinda funny how things are listed given that it's the daily mail, the comments are suitably fitting given the website it is. got some hopping mad people out there, lol

They're so angry about how this is disrupting Tolkien's vision!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

counting the erect penises on my screen, purely academically

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The Fully Aroused Male Genital Count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's eight episodes per season. The six part thing seems to be a replicating error in various media coverage.

It's because we know the episode titles of the first six episodes, and have for a while, that people assume that it's a six episode season instead of eight.