Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Zeron posted:

Six Democrats against, 13 Republicans for. They had just enough hall passes for the Squad (I assume).

It's... manufactured, right? Like if they didn't get those other GOP votes "the squad" would have buckled, and not sunk the bill themselves. I guess we'll never know for sure but that's how I'm leaning right now..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Blind Pineapple posted:

I actually do believe the house moderates will live up to their end of the bargain and vote for BBB this month, but is there any other endgame here besides the senate butchering the bill to the point of worthlessness, or just voting it down outright behind Sinema and Manchin?
Most likely scenario is that Manchin walks away

Everything he wanted was in the BIF bill, which only exists because he demanded it

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Blind Pineapple posted:

I actually do believe the house moderates will live up to their end of the bargain and vote for BBB this month, but is there any other endgame here besides the senate butchering the bill to the point of worthlessness, or just voting it down outright behind Sinema and Manchin?

Nope! Manchin and Sinema have absolutely zero reason to support any of the progressive agenda in what remains of the BBB bill now.

A SALT repeal may be the Democrats biggest accomplishment with it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hellblazer187 posted:

It's... manufactured, right? Like if they didn't get those other GOP votes "the squad" would have buckled, and not sunk the bill themselves. I guess we'll never know for sure but that's how I'm leaning right now..

Pressley didn't vote until it was over 218, so at least one of them was waiting to see.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Most likely scenario is that Manchin walks away

Everything he wanted was in the BIF bill, which only exists because he demanded it

He still wants some stuff in the BBB, but the major infrastructure projects were all taken out of the original BBB and put into the BIF.

Manchin and Sinema have already agreed to the current BBB framework and in a normal world that would be fine for giving the go-ahead to pass laws to fix our 30-year gap in infrastructure repairs. But, we live in a hellworld, so you can't take anything they say for sure.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 6, 2021

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yep. Once they confirm the total number of votes they'll give away the margins a bit to let some of their members appear to have more integrity than they actually do. If it had been a genuine defection, they would have dragged more of the caucus with them and it would have been a lot messier. It's pretty common, you get a lot of legislators who somehow only vote against the party when it won't matter.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Yet again progressives show they'll cave. The party really is spineless all the way down unless it comes to crushing the left.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Alright, so let's say the 1.85 trillion passes as it currently stands. What is the view then?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mendrian posted:

I don't know what's worse; bbb being dead or something called bbb eventually being passed that actually sucks rear end.

I'd say the latter, because that comes with a heaping dose of op-ed dipshits lecturing us on how "half of the loose change they find in the couch" was the REAL goal all along and better than anyone had any right to reasonably expect and having a problem with that makes you a big dumb baby.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Shammypants posted:

Alright, so let's say the 1.85 trillion passes as it currently stands. What is the view then?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I'm not fixing to go dig it up but man I keep thinking back to that big long effortpost someone wrote in the previous version of this thread a month or two ago about how the CPC held all the cards and the Blue Dogs were toast, and wondering how in the world they convinced themselves of that given how this has played out. Just absolutely no respect for your enemies

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

the_steve posted:

op-ed dipshits lecturing us on how "half of the loose change they find in the couch" was the REAL goal all along and better than anyone had any right to reasonably expect and having a problem with that makes you a big dumb baby.

I thought we were supposed to stop this sort of interforum squabbling.

edit - oh wait you meant editorials in newspapers, I apologize.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shammypants posted:

Then, it doesn't really matter in the end. But, progressives took a risk in trusting Manchin and Sinema to keep their word.

In a normal functional world, it shouldn't be a big deal since they have agreements with members of their own party. But, Manchin and Sinema have proven they can't be trusted to operate in good faith and that makes people justifiably nervous.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Shammypants posted:

It means that Biden has way more influence in these negotiations than we currently think. Because make no mistake, he wants some form of the BBB to pass, it's a keystone of his administration. But what form that is, we don't know. If he convinces the Senate to pass something that still has universal pre-k and child tax credits with some Medicare increases then that's something at least, but not really enough especially if the SALT tax is cut without a ceiling.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Shammypants posted:

If the House Moderates and Sinema and Manchin keep their word and the BBB program goes through as-is, it's still got a lot of good things in it despite all the topline cuts because the focus was shortening program lengths and keeping benefits in and without means testing. Add the Infrastrucuture bill and its more than 3 trillion dollars in social programs and national development investment.

What will matter after that is 1) how many people feel a practical effect from it 2) how quickly 3) how it effects economic indicators the media reports on, like the stock market and jobs reports 3b) how the economy recovers from the logistics shock/inflationary forces in the next 12 months and if this helps and 4) how the party sells it on the 2022 Campaign Trail.

Add in a 5) anything else they can manage to accomplish in the next year, including the handling of any international or domestic crises that happen to pop up.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Well, I guess the positive is that we only have to wait 10 days for the predictions of Dem implosion to come true now

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Shammypants posted:

It's a poo poo bill that should have been better, but it has some good stuff in it that will help people, and the progressives punching themselves repeatedly in the genitals turns out not to have screwed us all. If this "tactic" makes a poo poo bill worse, then...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Since it has been almost 5 months (!?!?!) since they stripped the "hard infrastructure" from the original BBB to make the BIF, here's a quick reminder of what is in it and how it differs from the original BBB "hard infrastructure" spending.

Short Version:

quote:

— Replacing every lead water pipe in the country
— Universal Broadband (99% coverage with at least 25mb up/200 mb down)
— Require broadband providers to offer lower-cost options that meet new minimum standards.
— Repairing 7,392 bridges
— 500,000 electric vehicle charging stations
— $40b for new bridges
— $11b safety
— $39b transit
— $66b Amtrak/rail
— $7.5b e-vehicle chargers
— $5b clean buses
— $17b ports
— $25b airports
— $50b water resilience
— $55b drinking water
— $65b broadband
— $21b environmental remediation
— $73b power/clean energy

More detailed version with the differences (mostly cuts) between the original BBB infrastructure proposals and the BIF versions.

quote:

The bill calls for investing $110 billion for roads, bridges and major infrastructure projects. That's significantly less than the $159 billion that Biden initially requested in the American Jobs Plan.

Included is $40 billion for bridge repair, replacement and rehabilitation, according to the bill text. The White House says it would be the single, largest dedicated bridge investment since the construction of the interstate highway system, which started in the 1950s.

The deal also contains $16 billion for major projects that would be too large or complex for traditional funding programs.

Some 20%, or 173,000 miles, of the nation's highways and major roads are in poor condition, as are 45,000 bridges, according to the White House.

The investments would focus on climate change mitigation, resilience, equity and safety for all users, including cyclists and pedestrians.

Also in the package is $11 billion for transportation safety, including a program to help states and localities reduce crashes and fatalities, especially of cyclists and pedestrians, according to the White House. It would direct funding for safety efforts involving highways, trucks, and pipeline and hazardous materials.

And it contains $1 billion to reconnect communities -- mainly disproportionately Black neighborhoods -- that were divided by highways and other infrastructure, according to the White House. It will fund planning, design, demolition and reconstruction of street grids, parks or other infrastructure.

Money for transit and rail

The package would provide $39 billion to modernize public transit, according to the bill text. That's less than the $85 billion that Biden initially wanted to invest in modernizing transit systems and help them expand to meet rider demand.

The funds would repair and upgrade existing infrastructure, make stations accessible to all users, bring transit service to new communities and modernize rail and bus fleets, including replacing thousands of vehicles with zero-emission models, according to the White House.

The deal would also invest $66 billion in passenger and freight rail, according to the bill text. The funds would eliminate Amtrak's maintenance backlog, modernize the Northeast Corridor line and bring rail service to areas outside the Northeast and mid-Atlantic regions, according to the White House. Included in the package is $12 billion in partnership grants for intercity rail service, including high-speed rail.

The funding is less than the $80 billion Biden originally wanted to send to Amtrak, which he relied upon for decades to get home to Delaware from Washington, DC.

Still, it would be the largest federal investment in public transit in history and in passenger rail since the creation of Amtrak 50 years ago, according to the White House.

Broadband upgrade

The bill would provide a $65 billion investment in improving the nation's broadband infrastructure, according to the bill text. Biden initially wanted to invest $100 billion in broadband.

It also aims to help lower the price households pay for internet service by requiring federal funding recipients to offer a low-cost affordable plan, by creating price transparency and by boosting competition in areas where existing providers aren't providing adequate service. It would also create a permanent federal program to help more low-income households access the internet, according to the White House fact sheet.

Upgrading airports, ports and waterways

The deal would invest $17 billion in port infrastructure and $25 billion in airports to address repair and maintenance backlogs, reduce congestion and emissions near ports and airports and promote electrification and other low-carbon technologies, according to the White House. It is similar to the funding in Biden's original proposal.

Electric vehicles

The bill would provide $7.5 billion for zero- and low-emission buses and ferries, aiming to deliver thousands of electric school buses to districts across the country, according to the White House.

Another $7.5 billion would go to building a nationwide network of plug-in electric vehicle chargers, according to the bill text.

Improving power and water systems

The bill would invest $65 billion to rebuild the electric grid, according to the White House. It calls for building thousands of miles of new power lines and expanding renewable energy, the White House said.

It would provide $55 billion to upgrade water infrastructure, according to the bill text. It would replace lead service lines and pipes so that communities have access to clean drinking water, the White House said.

Another $50 billion would go toward making the system more resilient -- protecting it from drought, floods and cyberattacks, the White House said.

Environmental remediation

The bill would provide $21 billion to clean up Superfund and brownfield sites, reclaim abandoned mine land and cap orphaned gas wells, according to the White House.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/politics/infrastructure-bill-explained/index.html

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 6, 2021

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

ex post facho posted:

Yeah, they showed that they can be safely ignored. They sacrificed all their leverage after months of insisting they'd only vote on the bills in tandem.

I'm expecting that the Dems will likely lose both houses in 2022 now, and then the White House in 2024 to Pence, DeSantis or worse. VA gov was just a sneak preview.

Completely from their own doing.

Unironically, with the games the repubs have played with voting, this act of impotence has a very good chance of ending the dems as a meaningful political entity.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sanguinia posted:

If the House Moderates and Sinema and Manchin keep their word

Oh my god this is too sad. Can you even hear yourself right now?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sharkie posted:

Oh my god this is too sad. Can you even hear yourself right now?
That post was directly in response to a theoretical of if everything went perfectly, it was not an implication of belief that everything will go perfectly

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JT Jag posted:

That post was directly in response to a theoretical of if everything went perfectly, it was not an implication of belief that everything will go perfectly

"Kyrsten chuckled absently as she began strapping on the dynamite vest. Finally, finally, her moment had arrived..."

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Go to CNN to see news for the day. See headline touting "Big win for Biden."

Come in here, SPINELESS COWARDS BROKE THEY'VE HANDED EVERYTHING BACK TO THE REPUBLICANS WHY ARE THESE FUCKERS SO WORTHLESS.

I'm very confused. This forum does swing to the nihilistic but not to THIS degree.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I wonder if the telecoms are actually gonna build rural broadband this time or it'll be like every other time they've been funneled shitloads of money for rural broadband where they just took the money and then just never did any of it and nobody cared. Manchin being one of the big boosters of it this time doesn't really reassure me though

Cornwind Evil posted:

Come in here, SPINELESS COWARDS BROKE THEY'VE HANDED EVERYTHING BACK TO THE REPUBLICANS WHY ARE THESE FUCKERS SO WORTHLESS.

I'm very confused. This forum does swing to the nihilistic but not to THIS degree.

Have you ever considered that maybe CNN is misinforming you

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The House just passed the rule to consider the BBB reconciliation bill, so that will allow them to schedule a vote for the full bill.

Every House Dem voted in favor and every Republican against.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1456844871000596480

The House version is probably going to be fine. But, who knows if the Senate decides to stick to the terms.

The Senate will almost definitely remove the 4 weeks of paid leave the House added back in and change the SALT changes the House made (in a rare case of the Senate version being better than the House version). Other than that, who knows?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Pelosi and the major members of the Democratic Party partnered with republicans in order to make progressives look bad and eat poo poo.

Clearly the party that sides with republicans is the harm reduction party.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Cornwind Evil posted:

CNN: corporatist liberals
This thread: leftists

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cornwind Evil posted:

That's because it's a big win for the giant media conglomerate that owns CNN.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cornwind Evil posted:

Oh you'll have roads and electricity. Well some people will. If you're homeless or nearly homeless or just hosed in general well, not a lot is going to change for you. See the actual important bill is the other one, the one that will now die because there is no leverage. There will be no climate change provisions, no help for the poor and suffering. The rich got richer, so yes, Biden won. But everyone else is going to continue to get poorer.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1456823459560972288

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Progressives just ate a world ending turd and by Monday it will be their fault that BBB is dead.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Since it has been almost 5 months (!?!?!) since they stripped the "hard infrastructure" from the original BBB to make the BIF, here's a quick reminder of what is in it and how it differs from the original BBB "hard infrastructure" spending.

Short Version:

More detailed version with the differences (mostly cuts) between the original BBB infrastructure proposals and the BIF versions.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/politics/infrastructure-bill-explained/index.html

I hope you're getting either overtime or a 6-figure salary for all the work you do. :patriot:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I wonder if the telecoms are actually gonna build rural broadband this time or it'll be like every other time they've been funneled shitloads of money for rural broadband where they just took the money and then just never did any of it and nobody cared. Manchin being one of the big boosters of it this time doesn't really reassure me though

Thankfully, this broadband expansion proposal actually supports municipal and co-op broadband providers and requires commercial providers to service an area before they can get paid.

quote:

Historically, the government has subsidized the building of broadband networks by offering incentives to private companies such as Verizon, Comcast and AT&T (which owns WarnerMedia, CNN's parent company).

But in a break from the past, Biden's proposal calls for prioritizing funding, for the first time, to the kind of community-built networks you'd find in Wilson. And the plan isn't just focused on building out broadband in rural or outlying areas. Some of the most persistent examples of the digital divide can be found in dense urban neighborhoods struggling with poverty or inequality. In many of these areas, local organizations have had to step in where commercial internet providers saw little potential profit.

In Cleveland, Ohio, some 44% of homes lack broadband, according to a 2018 report by the National Digital Inclusion Alliance. Monica Malik once lived in one of these households. When the pandemic began, she said, she had no internet access at all. "No one was servicing over here," she said. "I don't know why."

Now she pays $19 a month for service that allows her to run her own business selling natural oils and fragrances -- and to keep her 10-year-old son in school. That's thanks to DigitalC, a local non-profit that's building out fixed wireless networks by putting advanced millimeter-wave antennas on rooftops and helping to connect low-income households.

The White House wants to support these initiatives by local governments, non-profits and cooperatives, it has said, because they provide services with "less pressure to turn profits and with a commitment to serving entire communities."

Commercial internet providers have bristled at that language.

"We realize that rural co-ops or local governments may be the best solution in some unserved communities, but the government shouldn't irrationally favor one solution over others," said NCTA, a cable industry trade group, in a recent blog post. "The privately funded broadband industry has achieved spectacular results over the last decade and most notably met the enormous challenge of the pandemic, keeping Americans working from home, learning remotely, and using telehealth to stay safe."

The one thing I genuinely don't have much knowledge on is how municipal and co-op providers tend to compare in speed to major telecom networks when they are being developed in areas with no broadband access at all. Some of the larger municipal fiber projects have been 1 gig+ downloads, but I don't know if that same thing is replicable in rural Montana from scratch. 200 mb download/25 mb upload when you had nothing is still huge, but it's not the same as a highly integrated fiber network.

That stat that 44% of homes in Cleveland don't have access to broadband seems insane. How can a major urban area have almost half of its houses not have broadband access? If 56% do have access, then how hard is it to expand that network to the rest of the city?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 6, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Can we increase Congress to about 50,000 people

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Regarde Aduck posted:

See the actual important bill is the other one, the one that will now die because there is no leverage.

Correct me if I'm wrong, is this the leverage that didn't exist because Manchin and Sinema refuse/keep refusing/refused to budge and outside of a magic spell mind controlling them to do something for someone else instead of just themselves (removing them via expulsion or sudden death would just get new Republicans voted into their spots, right? Hence rendering the whole thing moot) it would just go in circles until the Republicans seize control of everything in a year because voters have the memories of a allegorical goldfish? Or is that a different bill/piece of legislation? Because really, all these issues start to blur together after a while.

Also, if CNN is no good, where should I go?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cornwind Evil posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, is this the leverage that didn't exist because Manchin and Sinema refuse/keep refusing/refused to budge and outside of a magic spell mind controlling them to do something for someone else instead of just themselves (removing them via expulsion or sudden death would just get new Republicans voted into their spots, right? Hence rendering the whole thing moot) it would just go in circles until the Republicans seize control of everything in a year because voters have the memories of a allegorical goldfish? Or is that a different bill/piece of legislation? Because really, all these issues start to blur together after a while.

Also, if CNN is no good, where should I go?

There's nothing wrong with getting your news from CNN, you should just be aware of their biases that affect what they report, what they don't report, and how they report it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
BIF still needs to pass the senate though, right? Isn't it still possible that either Bernie or someone refuses to vote for it, or the 10 needed GOP votes decide they want changes or don't want to go with it? Or did I miss it being a done deal already?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

BIF still needs to pass the senate though, right? Isn't it still possible that either Bernie or someone refuses to vote for it, or the 10 needed GOP votes decide they want changes or don't want to go with it? Or did I miss it being a done deal already?

save us bernie one your my only hope

https://twitter.com/CraigCaplan/status/1456826256167739392

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

The Senate already passed it, but there's a 0.0% chance Sanders would have spiked it even if they hadn't

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

RIP to bitcoin.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1456846830847803392

(Not actually killing it, but it now has a lot of mandatory reporting requirements from anyone that sells more than $10k worth of crypto in a year, all exchanges have to provide tax information to the IRS, and businesses that accept more than $10k in crypto from a single customer have to report the transaction to the IRS.)

It is kind of hilarious that crypto proponents think that subjecting bitcoin to the same requirements as cash and stocks makes it "unusable as a currency."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Darkrenown posted:

No, it passed through the Senate months ago