Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

skasion posted:

Picard had it in for the bajoran girls. He got Sito killed or gulag’ed and he basically runs Ro out of Starfleet.

Thomas Riker made sure Ro was taken care off np.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Ro would have had a much better end to her story if Michelle Forbes was willing to commit to a full series contract.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

nine-gear crow posted:

Ro would have had a much better end to her story if Michelle Forbes was willing to commit to a full series contract.

I’ve always been of two minds about this because then we would have never gotten the amazing Nana Visitor.

However it’s crazy they never brought back a story with what’s new with Ro or something. Replace the yearly mirror universe bullshit with THAT please.

Wasn’t Ro literally the first Bajorian in starfleet or something?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Nana Visitor was great but at least Ro was spared from her dating Odo.

Odo sucks, as a person, not as a tv character.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, I wouldn't have wanted to lose Kira because Kira rules. But I do wish Ro had shown up. As big of a ball drop as having a loving Romulan and saying oh what could we ever do with this character, let's just not use her again.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

skasion posted:

Picard had it in for the bajoran girls. He got Sito killed or gulag’ed and he basically runs Ro out of Starfleet.

I really liked how he treated her in Ensign Ro at least. Apologized immediately when she corrected him about her name. Used the proper name with the shlubby blankets guy on the planet. Gave Ro credit for teaching him stuff. Recognized her potential as a fine officer.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

At least DS9 was brave enough to have characters leave. After what everyone went through, it made sense that Odo and Worf would never be in Starfleet again.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

At least DS9 was brave enough to have characters leave. After what everyone went through, it made sense that Odo and Worf would never be in Starfleet again.

I looked up Nemesis to try and figure out how they justified getting Worf back in Starfleet for that and found this:

quote:

As with the actors portraying Remans, Michael Dorn's voice was electronically lowered in pitch in post production to give Worf a more alien sound.

why, everyone knows how worf sounds we have literally had twelve seasons of tv and three prior movies to know his voice, why would you change it now

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh, I never noticed before that they changed the Defiant's bridge in Enterprise to have the rail curved instead of segmented.

Apparently you couldn't see it onscreen but they also added tiny labels to all the buttons.

drat OVER-THE-TOP RETCONS :arghfist:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 6, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Did they add labels to... Make sure the actors didn't accidentally press the wrong ones?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No it just bugged Doug Drexler that they were all unlabelled.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

In season 4 episode 12 worf pushes the left side of his console to raise shields, but in season 6 episode 4 he pushes a completely different location to raise shields. Are we to believe this is some sort of … magic console??

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Joking aside, I wonder if the actors were given or developed their own muscle memory for touching fake consoles to preform common tasks over time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Joking aside, I wonder if the actors were given or developed their own muscle memory for touching fake consoles to preform common tasks over time.

Wil wheaton mentioned he came up with a bunch of consistent button sequences for various things. I don't think they were given them though.

You're meant to pretend the screens are actually screens and more dynamic than they are so the controls might be in different places anyway because they moved the widgets around.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 6, 2021

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Wil wheaton mentioned he came up with a bunch of consistent button sequences for various things. I don't think they were given them though.

You're meant to pretend the screens are actually screens and more dynamic than they are so the controls might be in different places anyway because they moved the widgets around.

I seem to remember there were at least one or two other actors who also came up with there own consistence button press for different actions. Probably being a mix of wanting to get into character and also just having poo poo loads of time on set waiting for other poo poo to happen.

Those wait times are not exaggerated.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dynamic consoles sound like an awesome idea but I’m not sure I want to be the guy hunting for “raise shields” button in a crisis :haw:

Like trying to find the unmute button on a Teams/Zoom call when someone is asking you a question.. Very stressful two seconds while you simultaneously know where it’s supposed to be but still have to hunt and peck.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
They're presumably also context aware and configured for the specific station.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
"Rise shields"

Wait oh god drat they just updated the OS again. Where the gently caress did the move the raise shields button to this time. poo poo, not under primary functions anymore.... Wait whats this new "Energy - Major ship use" section, would it be under there....? no, poo poo!!! We always divert power to the shields, like literally three times a week. Why the hell isn't it under there!! What the hell even is that section. Um, ah crap, um, not gonna be under "cargo", couldn't be "aquatic", "living quarters", no. Um whats this "Maintenance primary A"...? oh poo poo, why the hell is it un

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 6, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ensign what did you just do?

I... Raised the shields, sir?

You vented the grease traps from Ten Forward.

That's... poo poo, I forgot I was in Defense Macro Layout 3, I'm sorry I set that up to--

Ensign. Shields.

Just trying to maximize my workflow, sir.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

LCARS is updating to v1.4.2
Please do not unplug or power off your console during this process.
Your terminal may restart several times.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

Your terminal may restart several times.

Then sometimes they just give up on updating half the PCs and just remote desktop into the old computer from the new one to use those programs.

https://i.imgur.com/bIisnbD.mp4

Martytoof posted:

Dynamic consoles sound like an awesome idea but I’m not sure I want to be the guy hunting for “raise shields” button in a crisis :haw:

Like trying to find the unmute button on a Teams/Zoom call when someone is asking you a question.. Very stressful two seconds while you simultaneously know where it’s supposed to be but still have to hunt and peck.

To be fair, even though you hunt inside zoom we're all instinctive enough with computers the fact that the Zoom window might be anywhere on this enormous 27" monitor isn't even a thought, we locate it instantly. Maybe worf just glances down and can just automatically go to the purple-coloured curvey frame because the purple frame has the shield button, even if he's slid it over to the left.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 6, 2021

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I seem to recall an anecdote where some TOS director wanted Sulu to press some particular buttons to do something, and George Takei pushed back and said no, that's not how you do that, that's this other sequence of buttons.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Maybe worf just glances down and can just automatically go to the purple-coloured curvey frame because the purple frame has the shield button, even if he's slid it over to the left.

I mean it probably depends on the actions, for things like going into to warp, or putting up shields there might be a slight delay, but for putting on a random 18th century opera for the crew to singalong to, well as that's a once per hour affair, it should be able to be accessed almost instantaneously.

Yes I am cribbing a bit from a Plinkett review, so sue me.

Edit:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I seem to recall an anecdote where some TOS director wanted Sulu to press some particular buttons to do something, and George Takei pushed back and said no, that's not how you do that, that's this other sequence of buttons.

Pretty sure I was remember the same interview. And if I recall correct he specifically pointed out he had a lot of time waiting around on set, so he was like well why don't I just make up a few sequences of buttons I can redo from common commands, while waiting around literally doing nothing else.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 6, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There really should have been a tradition of space shanties, every time we open on the bridge at least a couple people are drumming on a console and intoning "she was a lass from a faraway world the dusky beauty of a Risian girl with her horgahn out and top pulled down I lost my heart in a Risian town" or some poo poo, Riker's all HO HO, WOULDN'T YOU KNOW, OUT TO THE BLACK IS WHERE WE MUST GO, YEOMEN ALL AT THE HELM OF THIS SCOW AND THE STARS WILL GUIDE US TO DISTANT SHORES

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wil Wheaton was interviewing some Doctor or other when he asked them how to drive the TARDIS. The Doctor responded, basically, "that's a closely-kept secret passed from Doctor to Doctor and I can't share it with you," to which Wheaton offered to show them how to drive the Enterprise and they shut him down.

It was pretty embarrassing to watch.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Doctor would be able to drive the Enterprise immediately, but probably wouldn't have to because he'd convince the crew it was in their best interests to take him where he needs to go.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I remember from somewhere that Alan Tudyk said that whenever he sat down at his station for Firefly, he flipped a set of four buttons that were closest to the camera. Always, and for like, no reason.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

LividLiquid posted:

Wil Wheaton was interviewing some Doctor or other when he asked them how to drive the TARDIS. The Doctor responded, basically, "that's a closely-kept secret passed from Doctor to Doctor and I can't share it with you," to which Wheaton offered to show them how to drive the Enterprise and they shut him down.

It was pretty embarrassing to watch.

Bill Hartnell really did come up with specific functions for the various buttons, which is kinda sweet

I wouldn't be at all surprised if latter day Doctors did the same thing, especially the ones who were pre-existing Who nerds

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Just setting the A/C

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Your terminal may explode several rocks.

Fixed

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Just setting the A/C

“All the ship’s children have been ejected into space!”

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Star Trek consoles look like just insanely huge collections of buttons, but when you look at real-world interfaces, they also look like just a huge mess of controls that a layman couldn't figure out. Just take a look at all the junk in a 747.

Older computers also tend to have big messes of buttons, and you can actually see a lot of older computers used as props in movies. I imagine somebody in the days before common computers just glazing their eyes over when looking at a keyboard as just a sea of buttons as well, and presumably there's some kind of complicated control systems used on TV sets to manage cameras and microphones, but I don't even know what to look at for those.

The original star trek consoles look a lot more believable when you look at them with those in mind. The readout screens are more bullshit and they have some kind of fixation with making things more colorful and giving exotic shapes to some of the buttons/lights, but that's understandable since they were trying to show off that weird fancy new color TV. I think one of the weirder controls are those twin sliders on the transporter, but it does make for some interesting looking scenes of Scotty moving them around.

In fact, the most unusual thing about these consoles is that there's no labels for helping guide the user around, which I guess would involve a lot more effort to write out more technobabble to be somehow believable and consistent. With the notable exception of this thing in Wrath of Khan.

Which is actually a panel from a real-world GE 635.

Of course Wrath of Khan also had a bunch of these things:

Which seems even more like an absurd collection of buttons, and that more seems to more resemble this device:

Brawnfire posted:

There really should have been a tradition of space shanties, every time we open on the bridge at least a couple people are drumming on a console and intoning "she was a lass from a faraway world the dusky beauty of a Risian girl with her horgahn out and top pulled down I lost my heart in a Risian town" or some poo poo, Riker's all HO HO, WOULDN'T YOU KNOW, OUT TO THE BLACK IS WHERE WE MUST GO, YEOMEN ALL AT THE HELM OF THIS SCOW AND THE STARS WILL GUIDE US TO DISTANT SHORES

That would be amazing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

Bill Hartnell really did come up with specific functions for the various buttons, which is kinda sweet

I wouldn't be at all surprised if latter day Doctors did the same thing, especially the ones who were pre-existing Who nerds

They came up with rough functionality and what did the main things for both of Eleven's consoles and Matt Smith incorporated that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

In the films, Spock has what looks like an ongoing game of Dr. Mario in several panels:

Does anyone know what the orange display is supposed to be? I've always wondered.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MikeJF posted:

I liked this in Galaxy Quest, when Tommy sits at the helm console and is like “I remember this! I had it all worked out!”

jeeves posted:

I’ve always been of two minds about this because then we would have never gotten the amazing Nana Visitor.

However it’s crazy they never brought back a story with what’s new with Ro or something. Replace the yearly mirror universe bullshit with THAT please.

iirc they tried bringing her back a few times like TNG did with Denise Crosby but she always turned them down.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 6, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

In the films, Spock has what looks like an ongoing game of Dr. Mario in several panels:

Does anyone know what the orange display is supposed to be? I've always wondered.

They actually did do a guide for actors for TMP on what everything was, it's here.

That's the library computer memory activity readout apparently. Why you'd really need that taking up half the science station I don't know. :shrug:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tighclops posted:

I genuinely hate those stupid Irish holodeck village episodes, I still can't believe they made two of them

Voyager's attempts at doing ongoing holodeck arcs in general were all terrible. There was the terrible governess one, the pool hall, the one with Leonardo Da Vinci, and the old Sci-fi serial. I'm not sure if the writers were just really into the idea of making it work despite multiple failures, or they were re-using sets from other productions to save money.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MikeJF posted:

They actually did do a guide for actors for TMP on what everything was, it's here.

That's the library computer memory activity readout apparently. Why you'd really need that taking up half the science station I don't know. :shrug:

It looks cool. Huh, if it’s referencing Xon instead of Spock, wouldn’t it be for Phase II (and repurposed for TMP)? That’s a lot of detail for a movie.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWL92JcQoCw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lack of labeling on the buttons when there is so few isn't that much of a big deal. Qualified professional could trivially memories each of those. What I would say is unrealistic is the amount of information they are getting from their displays for when they push those buttons.

quote:

Family had one of those growing up. Plays some good music, pilots a good star ship.
Either way decent to have around when you've drunk a bit of rum.

(don't drink and drive/pilot a star ship kids! Psychedelics, apparently fine. :shrug:)