Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The fingerprint reader on my 6 Pro is noticeably slower and less accurate for me than the one on my Oneplus 7 Pro was, it's not terrible but it's the biggest negative for me on an otherwise very strong device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

On a pixel 4a with Android 12 installed.

Where can I see mobile data usage by app? I can only find "non-carrier data usage"

How did data saver work? it only allows white listed apps from using background data? I'd I opened the app would it use data?

E.g. if I had data saver on without discord whitelisted I wouldn't get push notifications, but if I opened discord it would work?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

bull3964 posted:

Google advertises that it goes 0-50% in 30 minutes. It does. Those are the only specific charging claims of the phone.

So, I'm not sure what the "not a good look" thing is about. It would be nice if it peaked out a bit higher and didn't back off as aggressively, but claims of bait and switch are dumb as poo poo because sustained 30w charging was never promised.
"We have this new 30w charger you should buy for the Pixel 6!*"

* Pixel 6 isn't able to charge at 30w is weird to me and a bad look. It's not the end of the world, but they really make it out that it used the full 30w even though they never said it did, just said enough around it. It's omission of facts that generally rubs me bad :shrug:

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
P6pro/Verizon - anyone having a problem with pictures taking forever to send over SMS?

To be fair I get super low bars in my house, but I'm connected to wifi. It wasn't a problem with my P4xl. Could be I just need to have it locate the closest tower again.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah being disappointed a phone charges 50% slower than its closest competition (21 ultra) despite higher advertised speeds isn't unreasonable. Two chargers cost $90 aud here.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

incogneato posted:

It doesn't really help you, but mine often asks for a pin to unlock despite me using fingerprint (and being in a trusted place). But I'm fairly confident it has not been restarting, at least not each or those times, because it has been on my desk next to me while I work.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I may be unconsciously hitting the power button when done with it each time, which locks it. I miss my 3xl's rear fingerprint reader that allowed me to unlock instantly almost without thinking about it.

I had the same behavior on my Pixel 6. I noticed every few hours it would require a PIN to unlock with a message "device locked manually", which is different than the reset or lockdown message. It was driving me crazy since it felt inconsistent on when it would be okay with a fingerprint or randomly require a PIN. Turns out, it's somehow related to smart unlock and trusted places. Once I turned all those options off, I haven't had to unlock by PIN yet. Seems to defeat the entire purpose of smart unlock??

Otherwise I have mostly been enjoying the phone. The giant notifications are dumb. The fingerprint reader is definitely more accurate than my previous phone (S20 FE), but I still miss the back reader from the Pixel 2 which was flawless for me. I also can't get the tap-back-of-the-phone-twice function to work. It registers maybe 20% of the time for me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

minusX posted:

"We have this new 30w charger you should buy for the Pixel 6!*"

* Pixel 6 isn't able to charge at 30w is weird to me and a bad look. It's not the end of the world, but they really make it out that it used the full 30w even though they never said it did, just said enough around it. It's omission of facts that generally rubs me bad :shrug:

I use a 45w charger in one room and a 68w charger in the other, op.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah being disappointed a phone charges 50% slower than its closest competition (21 ultra) despite higher advertised speeds isn't unreasonable. Two chargers cost $90 aud here.

Where were the speeds advertised? As far as I can tell they weren't and this is just a case of morons piecing together information, making assumptions, and being wrong which is what morons do.

This is the only actual claim Google made:

"Google" posted:

Fast charging: Up to 50% charge in 30 minutes with Google 30W USB-C®. Charger with USB-PD 3.0 (PPS) sold separately.

Turns out that's true. Everything else was just idiots talking and other idiots believing them and it turns out that idiots are quite stupid.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

LastInLine posted:

Turns out that's true. Everything else was just idiots talking and other idiots believing them and it turns out that idiots are quite stupid.

This is a pretty lovely response to a reasonable complaint. If Google didn't intend to use the full 30W charging potential, why put it in the marketing materials at all?

Oh right, the same reason why everyone and their dog puts 50+ cameras on the back of their phones regardless of how bad they are: To make it look like they're as good as/better than the competition. I don't think anybody here is really defending that practice, either.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Wow called an idiot and moron in one post. your right, everything Pixel related is perfect and criticism is invalid.

If they included the charger instead of charging $45 for it it wouldn't be such a dick move.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 6, 2021

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wow called an idiot and moron in one post. your right, everything Pixel related is perfect and criticism is invalid.

If they included the charger instead of charging $45 for it it wouldn't be such a dick move.

You did imply that wattage was a measurement of speed so if the shoe fits...

So you're upset that they didn't make you buy the charger you don't need? You're right, that's pretty mean of them but they could've not made you buy an even more expensive charger you didn't need so it's not as bad as it could've been. Think of all the women and children not buying this thing they don't need, they're the real victims in all of this.

grack posted:

This is a pretty lovely response to a reasonable complaint. If Google didn't intend to use the full 30W charging potential, why put it in the marketing materials at all?

Because that's the charger they sell? Why not sell a charger that's overkill for multiple years instead of one that's exactly what you need right now? One gives you room to grow and the other doesn't. Further, isn't the only reasonable specification to put in your marketing materials the speed that the phone charges with the charger that you yourself manufacture and can therefore ensure the quality of such? There is absolutely no reason to assume that the power rating of the charger is used to its fullest extent, that's the whole point of USB-PD.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Where were the speeds advertised? As far as I can tell they weren't and this is just a case of morons piecing together information, making assumptions, and being wrong which is what morons do.

Quit gettin' mad about phones.

No but seriously dial it back a bit.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I wasn't a big fan of the Spigen Ultra Hybrid for my 6 Pro so I got myself a Spigen Thin Fit today and I'm liking that a lot more. It's a bit less wide and noticeably less thick, which, on top of using a grippier material, makes the phone much more pleasant to hold. The protection offered I imagine has to be close to nothing when it comes to drop considering how thin it is but it's such a better feel in hand that I think I'll be sticking with it regardless.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Awww yeah. Had to send my Pixel 2 back in because the glue didn't cure right. I told them to keep it for a couple days instead of shipping it back right away the second time since I was in no rush and it seems solid now. I'm guessing the cold temps during shipping kept it from setting properly.

Is there a recommended oleophobic solution for restoring the screen coating? It doesn't bother me that much, but it's the only thing that needs to be done to make it feel brand new so I figure why not give it a shot.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I REALLY doubt the charger matters at all to the speed of the charging, provided you get a power delivery charger with at least 30w output. The phone's onboard charger is just going to handshake with the wall brick and ask for whatever voltage/amps it wants on its charging curve program. It doesn't matter who makes it. The phone just aggressively backs off on the charging curve earlier to keep the battery healthy longer.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

You did imply that wattage was a measurement of speed so if the shoe fits...

So you're upset that they didn't make you buy the charger you don't need? You're right, that's pretty mean of them but they could've not made you buy an even more expensive charger you didn't need so it's not as bad as it could've been. Think of all the women and children not buying this thing they don't need, they're the real victims in all of this.

You're the upset one attacking people lmao. I'm just disappointed in slow charging.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
I ended up taking off the screen protector from my Pixel 6 and the fingerprint reader has worked very well. I still hope it works with a screen protector at some point. I'm not used to not using a screen protector.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Sometimes when scrolling down (up? Dragging my finger up but scrolling down) slowly on my 6 Pro when I lift my finger the screen will scroll rapidly in the direction I was going. I first noticed it in Photos, but it also happens in the app drawer. Does this happen to anyone else? I'm trying to gage if it's a digitizer or software issue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google made a 30w charger because you do need a PPS charger to even get that 22w and 3a@11v is the base PPS spec. Also, it's the same brick they are using for the Stand V2 and likely needs some overhead to run the fan and overcome wireless loses.

It's not some massive misdirection conspiracy. They published a single charging claim, met it, and said to hit that claim you need a PPS charger and they only checked the claim on their charger (which is the cheapest PPS charger on the market.)

Go ahead and be disappointed that the last 20% of the phone takes dramatically longer than the S21 Ultra. That's valid. But also recognize that saying the phone charges 50% the rate of the nearest competitor is talking about 0-100% total time and do you really give a poo poo that 20 minutes of that time is to take the phone from 95% to 100%? Does that ultimately matter?

I hope they tweak the charging algorithm a bit to make the drop a bit more gradual, but this whole "Google lied and we need to launch a class action lawsuit" poo poo that's flying around it there is just dumb. They delivered what they marketed, inferring anything else is on the individual.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Go ahead and be disappointed that the last 20% of the phone takes dramatically longer than the S21 Ultra.

Couldn't you also disable the high percentage slowdown if you wanted to? I notice there's a "adaptive charging" option in the battery settings, is that not what that option does?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Incessant Excess posted:

Couldn't you also disable the high percentage slowdown if you wanted to? I notice there's a "adaptive charging" option in the battery settings, is that not what that option does?

No, adaptive charging does something different. It stops charging the phone at a certain point and then later starts trickle charging it as you approach your alarm.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Ah okay, pretty clever.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't care much about fast charging, but a good rule of thumb with power adapters in general is that you want overkill on the output, so the device can only draw something under what the power adapter is specced for. You can burn through adapters really fast if they are trying to supply more amps than they are rated for, although maybe it's gotten better in recent years in terms of devices not trying to pull more amps than the source can supply. I used to see people killing laptop chargers with some regularity by getting one that was the right volts but under the laptop's amperage requirement, and they'd work for a while getting really hot before burning out and failing.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

gently caress that graduated charging curve bullshit i’m buying a samsung that can really fast charge

~*two years later*~

wtf why is my phone battery already trashed

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, I just make sure if I care about charging speed I'm using something with at least 2 amps and it's all good. The surge protector I used for my main computer has 2 two 2A USB ports ad three 1A USB ports, so my phone or whatever I want to charge faster go on the 2A ports and my headphones or watch or whatever go on the 1A ports.

One major piece of charging-related bullshit is how companies hide or misrepresent the amps their USB ports put out - they'll say 2.4A but in the fine print say it's spread between two ports, or just flat-out not say what the amperage is on the USB ports (it's 1A). And they almost always overprice their garbage adapters on top of that.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Can we change the thread title back to D Y P please

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I returned my pixel 6 today because I could not stand the lovely under screen fingerprint reader. It's so so bad, I don't care what anyone says. They act like it's some fancy futuristic technology but in reality all I wanted was the face unlock. Back to my 4XL and happy as a clam.

Face unlock is superior. Full stop.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Except for whole wearing a mask, I guess. I'd prefer to have both.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Except for whole wearing a mask, I guess. I'd prefer to have both.

Same, but so far, having a watch for smart unlock mostly works so whatev

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Disagree, hot sauce. Face unlock is not compatible with the pandemic for me and I love the fingerprint scanner on this phone. Respect though, fellow phone lover.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
This the right thread for budget android devices? My mother's phone's still running Android 7 for some godforsaken reason, despite coming out in 2018. So I think it's time for a new one. Any hot picks from the cheapo side of the aisle? She mostly just does Kindle, some occasional YouTube, and navigation.

I could also set her up with my year-old Pixel 4a. I went and took a look at the P6Pro at Best Buy and I'm very very tempted, mostly by the camera. Still not in love with the 19.5:9 aspect ratio they share, but the extra width is nice. Makes it about the same width as my beloved Pixel XL. Should've waited for the 4a 5G last year.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 7, 2021

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

bull3964 posted:

Google made a 30w charger because you do need a PPS charger to even get that 22w and 3a@11v is the base PPS spec. Also, it's the same brick they are using for the Stand V2 and likely needs some overhead to run the fan and overcome wireless loses.
That's cool info and I learned a thing! Wish they included it in the info, it feels like a thing they'd do on the video in non COVID world. I'm not calling for their heads or anything, it just was weird to learn it externally and it felt like charged at the max wattage, like their other products did previously (which came with the chargers to be fair etc). I want to get the stand when it becomes available, but the time they come out I'll hopefully have the Google store credit from the phone purchase.

hotsauce posted:

I returned my pixel 6 today because I could not stand the lovely under screen fingerprint reader.
Dang sucks that it didn't work for you. Hopefully full coverage of what people want gets there later, maybe overall cost will go down and they'll have multiple choices on newer devices.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not taking anything personally, that's a weird thing to say.

The Pixel 5 and previous pixel fingerprint readers were rear end. This one has yet to miss a single scan.

The p5 scanner was instant, but failed to read correctly once every 10 times I used it. It also always was ready to read a finger input at all times, and always wakes the phone no matter what.

The P6 scanner had only failed to read my finger when I pulled it away before it had completed, which is easy to do because it can take up to 2 seconds to complete. The delay is so bad that Google has even made a post on Twitter claiming that the slow reads are because of extra security features. In addition to that, the P6 scanner only works when the screen is on. Even if you have always on display enabled, sometimes a delay when you take your phone out of your pocket or pick it up from where it is resting to enable the display. I have also had moments where the screen had come up to the pin input screen, which you have to dismiss before you can use the scanner. And there is no tactile feed back to guide your finger to the scanner, like there is for the back scanner of the P6.

In short, the P6 scanner fails less, but has a lot more edge cases that make it inferior to finger print reader on the back on the p5.

This under screen finger print scanner is a microcosm of everything wrong with Google today.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I was outside today in the almost-summer Aussie sun trying to use Google maps and couldn't see poo poo on the screen. It's too dim compared to Samsung ones.

Why can't any one phone just be perfect?

Also,

Skarsnik posted:

Can we change the thread title back to D Y P please

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 7, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I was outside today in the almost-summer Aussie sun trying to use Google maps and couldn't see poo poo on the screen. It's too dim compared to Samsung ones.

Why can't any one phone just be perfect?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Red State, who dis? :newlol:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Respect though, fellow phone lover.
Indeed :respek:

If the 6 was actually smaller, as in 4 or 5 small, I would probably have sucked it up. At nearly exactly the same size as my 4XL, with worse resolution and that goddamn optical scanner, it just didn't feel right to me. Really bummed about it, but the 4XL is proper Peak Pixel™ for sure. It's still so good, imo.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My phone is pretty much the same size as a Pixel 6, and I think I've mentioned before that I feel like it is just about at the limit of how big a phone can be and still be manageable.

I've also found that having a smartwatch that lets me not have to pull my phone out of my pocket for basic stuff makes the size much more acceptable - getting notifications and texts on my watch means I only have to pull my phone out a fraction of the time I'm using it instead of every time I get an alert.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Google saying it's not just my imagination:

https://twitter.com/madebygoogle/status/1457043416139898881

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My least favourite of my many, many phone purchases of the last five years was the iPhone 12 pro max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Initial estimated delivery date for my sorta sunny pro was December 1-2, then got moved up to November 16-17, now it's back to December 15-16. Would have had it by now if their website didn't absolutely poo poo bricks on launch day, and if they were clearer about the requirement that you cancel your YouTube Premium subscription before getting the Pixel Pass. The most frustrating thing isn't the phone not being here, honestly it's dealing with ads on YouTube for the first time in years.