Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The people going on about blockchain whatever believe crypto will democratize finance so they are pretty special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

The people going on about blockchain whatever believe crypto will democratize finance so they are pretty special

special ed has nothing to do with why these blockchain idiots are idiots. They are def special tho

E: the first thing I thought about when you said special was “special ed”

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

TheWeedNumber posted:

I mean that’s what I was thinking it was, that and someone’s been missing out on trap music.

And not keeping up with the Kardashians!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
America has higher than average crush events given density and wealth. A lot of venues have insufficient incentive to design better crowd management, and are generally legally protected from liability.

And blaming a crowd of thousands of people is pretty pointless. That’s not how crowds and human minds work?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I thought Travis Scott was the guy from Gym Class Heroes, until my wife cleared it up.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bengy81 posted:

I thought Travis Scott was the guy from Gym Class Heroes, until my wife cleared it up.

And here I thought Mike Tyson was just a cartoon character.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
At this point I understand how people get sucked into QAnon better than the block chain. Like at least there is centuries of anti Semitism backing up the crazier parts of Q, not sure how a hashed linked list of merkle trees suddenly became some world changing data structure.

At least with overhyped tech like deep learning has some really good practical applications (computer vision and NLP) but idiots think they can apply it to every use case and it will work. Same poo poo with block chain, it isn’t going to fix everything, and at this point I’m not sure it’s useful for anything, relational databases are still faster and more secure for monetary transactions l.

Anyways I have a Dave’s single and a medium frosty.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I probably missed some of this chat, but has anyone here gotten the Moderna booster?

I don't quite fall into the age ranged, but my job is in the medical field and I am frequently in close proximity to people who are possibly covid positive and am thinking about getting the booster.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I can't imagine this goober has ever been through any sort of hiring process.

Creds/experience has never been the sole or even most important factor in hiring someone, if it was there wouldn't be things like interviews and I wouldn't have to deal with really really dumb co-workers in cybersec.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

PeterCat posted:

I probably missed some of this chat, but has anyone here gotten the Moderna booster?

I don't quite fall into the age ranged, but my job is in the medical field and I am frequently in close proximity to people who are possibly covid positive and am thinking about getting the booster.

I got it. It wasn’t as bad as shot 2 side effects wise for me. Most people seem to be handling it fine. If you work with the public, get the shot.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

PeterCat posted:

I got Pfizer back in December/January, and the moderna booster in august. The moderna booster gave me similar symptoms to my second Pfizer shot, just generalized body aches and fatigue for a day.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I am not really following the rules or standards. Am I, a healthy guy who does not work with the public, allowed to get the booster? Is it still restricted to people with special needs or risk factors, or is that by state?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Dependent on the regulations in your area as outlined by whatever is in control of vax distro

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PeterCat posted:

I got it, full dose one. Had similar effects to the second dose, but far more milder.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Best Friends posted:

I am not really following the rules or standards. Am I, a healthy guy who does not work with the public, allowed to get the booster? Is it still restricted to people with special needs or risk factors, or is that by state?

I don't know how much it varies by regions, but around here pretty much every drug store and grocery pharmacy is offering boosters, and it's not like they make you provide proof of your job or anything. When I signed up for a booster on the Ralphs website there was just a checkbox for "are you an essential worker or in a high-risk industry?"

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Best Friends posted:

I scheduled a flu and Moderna booster online through CVS, there were no questions in the screening asking why I needed a booster, only questions about possible interactions.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Best Friends posted:

There are so few people getting boosters that you're doing your community a disservice by letting it go unused. I live in the biggest county by population in Virginia and the vaccination clinic set up in the Government Center, a building colloquially known as the "Taj Mahal," was operating at ~5% capacity in mid-October.

Ponder it that way to soothe your conscience.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
hosed. Members of the crowd telling event staff with radio about a death in the crowd, and the answer is basically a confused shrug and no radio call, as the guy returns to his cameraman job.

https://twitter.com/david_leavitt/status/1457017187038908424?s=21

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Why the gently caress are fans up with the camera people? There could not have been 1/5th of the necessary security and support personnel if that was happening.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Apparently she had to jump a gate and then scale a ladder to get to him, so it took some real effort on her part to get to that guy to try to get some staff action.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PeterCat posted:

I got ModernaBoosted a week or so ago, and didn't have the wipeout symptoms people were reporting, just some lingering soreness, like a tetanus shot.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

mlmp08 posted:

Apparently she had to jump a gate and then scale a ladder to get to him, so it took some real effort on her part to get to that guy to try to get some staff action.

Sounds like they oversold the show + were understaffed and decided to start the show anyway. This was t the festival's first year so you have to wonder who was told about these issues and just said do it anyway.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

they also had travis scott, a dude with a history of inciting crowds, on stage inciting the crowd

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

maffew buildings posted:

they also had travis scott, a dude with a history of inciting crowds, on stage inciting the crowd

I dont know much about his performances - do you have any examples of what you are talking about?

Edit: just saw the thing at lollapalooza - didnt see anything specific about what he did at this show though

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 6, 2021

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Bored As gently caress posted:

Looks like the moron urged people to rush the gates and climb the fences.

https://twitter.com/yoongispick/status/1456890536330158083?t=fWj2LhukXbn0J69NRGP0WA&s=19

Hope the families of the dead sue that piece of poo poo out of existence.

Grip it and rip it posted:

I dont know much about his performances - do you have any examples of what you are talking about?

All the way back on the last page of this thread

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

At this point I understand how people get sucked into QAnon better than the block chain. Like at least there is centuries of anti Semitism backing up the crazier parts of Q, not sure how a hashed linked list of merkle trees suddenly became some world changing data structure.

At least with overhyped tech like deep learning has some really good practical applications (computer vision and NLP) but idiots think they can apply it to every use case and it will work. Same poo poo with block chain, it isn’t going to fix everything, and at this point I’m not sure it’s useful for anything, relational databases are still faster and more secure for monetary transactions l.

Anyways I have a Dave’s single and a medium frosty.
As the news gets more and more wackier over the years, I've found that I'm starting to have a hard time parsing it. A lot of it doesn't make sense to me. I still don't understand QAnon, and cryptocurrency is just ????? in my mind. Like, I kinda get it, but it's just so bizarre to burn oodles of fuel for something that doesn't exist. gently caress, maybe I'm getting old or senile or someshit.

Do you guys still sell tacos? oh poo poo I drove to the wrong restaurant, meant to go to burger king, nvm

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 6, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Jimmy Smuts posted:

As the news gets more and more wackier over the years, I've found that I'm starting to have a hard time parsing it. A lot of it doesn't make sense to me. I still don't understand QAnon, and cryptocurrency is just ????? in my mind. Like, I kinda get it, but it's just so bizarre to burn oodles of fuel for something that doesn't exist. gently caress, maybe I'm getting old or senile or someshit.

Do you guys still sell tacos? oh poo poo I drove to the wrong restaurant, meant to go to burger king, nvm

I think a lot of crypto detractors underestimated the value of digital money laundering

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

I think a lot of crypto detractors underestimated the value of digital money laundering

It’s basically large scale gambling, easier than rigging the Puerto Rico lottery.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Hmmm, I guess that makes sense. Basically large-scale gambling in an odd way. I guess my dislike of gambling is why I can't wrap my mind around cryptocurrency.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

FrozenVent posted:

It’s basically large scale gambling, easier than rigging the Puerto Rico lottery.

Yeah I forgot the wholesale market manipulation and resurrection of old stock scams with crypto. Like many other market investments its built on the back of ripping someone off. People keep signing up because they're told its the path to quick riches

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

That was a pretty good darknet diaries episode.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Yeah I forgot the wholesale market manipulation and resurrection of old stock scams with crypto. Like many other market investments its built on the back of ripping someone off. People keep signing up because they're told its the path to quick riches

Usually scam investments just fade away unless there's underlying value. It's just that the underlying value of cryptocurrency is letting criminals move around money and that's not a small industry.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Scott kept the show running even as cops and paramedics showed up and tried to resuscitate the dying. Would be curious how long it took for the lights to come up.

https://twitter.com/98__Snake/status/1457020272121466883

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Best Friends posted:

I literally just filles out a form on the CVS website and it didnt ask if I was 55 or older, or in a public facing job.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Echoing CVS as the best and easiest place to get the booster and flu shot combo. Online reservation is easy, and I was in and out in 20 minutes including the wait time.

mlmp08 posted:

The sad part being there is absolutely nothing that guy could do. His radio goes to whoever's running the video mixing board and that's it. That video front-of-house person MIGHT have a radio to talk to the road management, or be sitting around someone that does, IF the road management is on top of their poo poo. But it's usually to a production head who's another link in the chain to road management. The security staff she should have had to run past should have a more direct line to someone who can do something about an injured person than that cameraman. But it all relies on the venue staff and road management being on their poo poo, and it sounds like they weren't either.

This show was a tragedy and it is really hitting me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The fifth circuit just stayed enforcement of OSHA's temporary rule mandating covid vaccines. They did not follow any of the standard rules for granting a stay, and rather just said since the briefs seeking the stay "give us cause to believe there are grave statutory and constitutional issues with the Mandate."

e:
https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1457043916662902785

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1457052180045828096

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 6, 2021

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I got my booster yesterday for Moderna, so far I've had a stuffy nose and a bad cough but I'm better than I was last night and should be fine tomorrow.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I just went to Walgreens to get my Moderna booster, but I forgot my vaccine card and didn't have a picture handy. So now I have to go back tomorrow. Moral of the story: remember to take your card. Also, don't be like me and keep a pic on your phone.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Discussion Quorum posted:

I just went to Walgreens to get my Moderna booster, but I forgot my vaccine card and didn't have a picture handy. So now I have to go back tomorrow. Moral of the story: remember to take your card. Also, don't be like me and keep a pic on your phone.

That’s weird, I forgot to bring mine at rite aid and they just did it. Reminds me I need to go back and get it filled out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That’s weird, I forgot to bring mine at rite aid and they just did it. Reminds me I need to go back and get it filled out.

I brought my original card to rite aid when I got the Pfizer booster, there wasn't room to record the new shot so they made me a new card.