Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
for now i'm still stonking out about the macro mode in the 13promaxxxx. it's so fun to get up on things with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Like my dick, yes, your joke is late.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

lord nikon hell yeah

One of these days i'll get one of those 83x superzooms i have casually lusted after for like six years

ive had the same thought but they never really came down in price. the new one is apparently $1200 and 125x zoom holy poo poo!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

giant mega zooms really don't have a lot of use outside of taking pictures of birds or taking pictures of birds, if you get my meaning.

my slr lenses range from 24mm to 400mm which is a ~16x range and, aside from the occasional wildlife situation mentioned, i have never needed more than that. it's a camera, not a telescope

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Jonny 290 posted:

lord nikon hell yeah

One of these days i'll get one of those 83x superzooms i have casually lusted after for like six years

those things are so absolutely silly but all the same I’ve forever wanted one too

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i shoot killer photos on my d40 but the reason i am a big fan of my phone is theres a billion situations where a DSLR is too high visibility to be useful for my purposes. i hate posed candids and everybody tenses up around a real camera

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

long had camera quality as kind of a guiding light in phone choice, but in the past 5 or so years the difference between high end cameras has gotten pretty modest. does mean that i am irrationally interested in the extremely expensive sony pro-i though, they do look to be committing pretty hard to the camera.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sagebrush posted:

giant mega zooms really don't have a lot of use outside of taking pictures of birds or taking pictures of birds, if you get my meaning.

my slr lenses range from 24mm to 400mm which is a ~16x range and, aside from the occasional wildlife situation mentioned, i have never needed more than that. it's a camera, not a telescope

There is also the niche of taking 1 photoghraph of the full moon

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Casual Encountess posted:

i shoot killer photos on my d40 but the reason i am a big fan of my phone is theres a billion situations where a DSLR is too high visibility to be useful for my purposes. i hate posed candids and everybody tenses up around a real camera

people tense up when you point a phone at them now too. it's become a gesture that everyone understands. like how pulling out your phone to check the time has developed the same social connotation as visibly checking your watch.

i find that i get good candid photos in social situations by just never letting the camera leave my hand and being constantly taking pictures. people quickly get used to it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

i find that i get good candid photos in social situations by just never letting the camera leave my hand and being constantly taking pictures. people quickly get used to it.

this seems to be working for nation-state surveillance, why not apply it in your personal life too?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I just found out the printer up at the front desk at work is running on Android.

printers and anroid: two great tastes that go great together

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

people tense up when you point a phone at them now too. it's become a gesture that everyone understands. like how pulling out your phone to check the time has developed the same social connotation as visibly checking your watch.

I borrowed a SLR style body for an afternoon and people were so much more wary around it than my normal rangefinder-style one which people commonly mistake for a film camera

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yeah people love something that looks like an old point and shoot, like a fujifilm x100 series. an old embroidered cloth strap completes the look

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I just found out the printer up at the front desk at work is running on Android.

lub 2 run printers with my digital camera operation system

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i used to love all my nikon gear but then i realised it was pretty heavy and conspicuous and annoying. plus apple canned aperture which really pissed me off

i love my om-d with a 20mm f1.7 but I very rarely bring it out these days. the best camera is the one you have with you and everyone has a pretty good point and shoot built into they omnipresent telephone

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

"The biggest problem with the Photosmart eStation C510 should be its biggest asset. The Zeen tablet, based on the Android 2.1 operating system should be very useful around the house as an eReader and Internet pad, but is hopelessly unresponsive. Under test, we could often wait over a second for a confirmatory ‘click’ when pressing a touch button and the same again before any action was taken. Four of five presses were sometimes needed to get a response.

With insufficient sensitivity to touches and a slow response, you’re never sure whether the Zeen has failed to register a tap or is just thinking long and hard before acting. It’s a very frustrating experience and not helped by Yahoo! – which is used for news and weather functions – claiming its not connected to a network, when the Android browser, Facebook and ePrint apps all suggest otherwise by working fine.
"

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Gentle Autist posted:

i used to love all my nikon gear but then i realised it was pretty heavy and conspicuous and annoying. plus apple canned aperture which really pissed me off

i love my om-d with a 20mm f1.7 but I very rarely bring it out these days. the best camera is the one you have with you and everyone has a pretty good point and shoot built into they omnipresent telephone

see i like the annoyance in the right circumstance.

not my greatest photo but i got this at speed while riding my bicycle and that just wouldntve happened on my smartphone.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my camera can be powered up and focused in under a second even a phone with the same lens/sensor would be worse to use

The United States posted:

With insufficient sensitivity to touches and a slow response, you’re never sure whether the Zeen has failed to register a tap or is just thinking long and hard before acting. It’s a very frustrating experience and not helped by Yahoo! – which is used for news and weather functions – claiming its not connected to a network, when the Android browser, Facebook and ePrint apps all suggest otherwise by working fine.[/i]"
I bought a $100 lenovo tablet to use as a clock/what's playing display for roon and it was so unresponsive I knew I was going to return it before I was done setting it up. plus lenovo decided to lock most apps into portrait mode even though it came with a landscape oriented dock

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have one of the 100x zoom gimmick phones and it's pretty cool. this dock is a mile away I think

it also has a high megapixel setting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

this whole review is hilarious.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also: lol. lmao.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol look at that stinky dogshit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

for some reason anandtech is the only place that includes iphones in their hardware performance comparisons

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

for some reason anandtech is the only place that includes iphones in their hardware performance comparisons

they only have 3 generations of iPhone though, they need at least 5 to show how many years Google is behind

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao what's going on here

e: oh it's completely unaccelerated

quote:

unfortunately only the Apple variant is lacking CoreML acceleration, thus we should expect lower scores on the A15.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 3, 2021

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

wow

paging sniep

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
My pixel 6 takes some good pictures, and

Sagebrush posted:

I wouldn't want much range on a lens for my sony mirrorless, you trade sharpness and quality for convenience, I have a hx400v that I took a cool picture of a cruising plane once as it goes to 52x but it also looks like poo poo at most ranges, and okay when at wide angle.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
yeah but you _could_ use a nice full frame camera instead of a puny little pixel and get uh...

well, a bunch of color noise mostly

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

yeah but you _could_ use a nice full frame camera instead of a puny little pixel and get uh...

well, a bunch of color noise mostly

I have got some semi-good ones with my sony alpha but I need a equatorial mount for my camera as even 30 seconds is enough for it to start blurring.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

BabyFur Denny posted:

How do I stop Google snapshot from showing me the card where I parked my car? I don't have a car.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

its really loving weird that clam down is so E X C I T E D yet so defensive about android phones

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

idk it seems pretty standard for the android thread to me, they’ll have their two minutes hate and then go back to posting all the things they hate about their new phone

also lmao

FunOne posted:

I got a Play Store update and I'm seeing this as the first pull down now instead of the larger 4 buttons. A second pull gives you the same 8 as before.

also double lmao that that one guy has spent so much of his life (presumably) setting up ducking around with his multiple $1000 phones every year that he can’t do even simple gestures on any other os without messing them up constantly

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
never 5get dyp bingo

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
whats your favorite square. i think mine is 'fits my needs perfectly'

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

graph posted:

never 5get dyp bingo

unban fishmech

*checks notes*

wait no, is there a double perma

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

square labeled as "kernelchat"

square has diagrams listing things that are definitely not in the linux kernel, including webkit

:goonsay:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sb hermit posted:

square labeled as "kernelchat"

square has diagrams listing things that are definitely not in the linux kernel, including webkit

:goonsay:
not seeing a problem, sounds like how iyg would do kernelchat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

graph posted:

never 5get dyp bingo

old as hell but still a ton of poo poo which applies today

lol @ the tethering square. i don't think that's as popular as it once was, maybe replaced by idiots hoping for starlink to be their ISP savior?