Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Feliday Melody posted:

The line between abuse for the sake of it and abuse to make an emotional story can be razor-thin. (people who attacked the VA are obviously idiots though)

Someone (who should have known better) recommended Elfen Lied to me.

I felt just terrible after finishing it. But it was probably one of the most emotionally heavy anime's I've ever seen, and Lucy was very relatable. But she was also incredibly cruel. Which seemed to be more for shock value than character building. It uses nudity to evoke vulnerability in a very efficient way. But I don't trust the show to not also do it for titillation.

Okamoto Lyn loves shock value and lower body fluids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

RareAcumen posted:

assuming fake characters portrayed by actors are real people

:psyduck:

Actually, just to be perfectly Devil's Advocate-level fair here; is this really what's happening, or have some people had their moral... correctness? Sensitivity? turned so high/strict that even the portrayal of immoral behavior is considered in itself, immoral?

Like that old Simpsons reference with the vegan that won't eat anything that casts its own shadow (which i always presumed included plants themselves).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 7, 2021

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mister Facetious posted:

even the portrayal of immoral behavior is considered in itself, immoral?

It's sort of this? Like there's this idea that if you write or draw something then that means you condone it irl.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"Yeah, we're having a lot of complaints, so we agreed to remove Caesar and Brutus from Shakespeare's play."

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Catching up on s2 of Iruma and its good wholesome fun and I hope it never ends.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

:psyduck:

Actually, just to be perfectly Devil's Advocate-level fair here; is this really what's happening, or have some people had their moral... correctness? Sensitivity? turned so high/strict that even the portrayal of immoral behavior is considered in itself, immoral?

Like that old Simpsons reference with the vegan that won't eat anything that casts its own shadow (which i always presumed included plants themselves).

You will probably have a better chance of sussing out why people are acting like this than I do. I don't have an answer to the question of 'Why are weirdos harassing actors for playing characters they don't like?'

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Call me optimistic, but I still believe people (that aren't literal children) understand the difference between reality and make-believe.

:ohdear:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mister Facetious posted:

"Yeah, we're having a lot of complaints, so we agreed to remove Caesar and Brutus from Shakespeare's play."

This actually happened a few years ago with a production that had Trump as Caesar and a lot of right wingers got mad because they thought the play ended when Caesar got stabbed and didn't continue for a whole other act.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

This actually happened a few years ago with a production that had Trump as Caesar and a lot of right wingers got mad because they thought the play ended when Caesar got stabbed and didn't continue for a whole other act.
And also that that production did that with every president. They'd been running the play with Obama as Caesar for the past few years.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The group was also named something sort of common so theaters across the country with the same name got tons of angry calls and protestors despite not knowing wtf was going on at all.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Feliday Melody posted:

Are there any other movies or animes in the spirit of Metropolis? I haven't seen it since it was new but watching it now I am just stunned at how amazing it is. I'd love to see more of that.
I think in terms of how sumptuous it was, yourself have to go to Promare/Redline.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Endorph posted:

The thing is, that line is different for everyone. What's exploitative, sensationalist, or done for titillation's sake for one person can be incredibly powerful and raw for another person. If you accept the argument that art can have an impact on reality, then doesn't it also follow that trying to devalue or shield people from art they might find catharsis in is also a problem?

Not accusing you of doing the latter, mind, those are totally valid reads of Elfen Lied, more just using your post as a jumping off point.

I'm not sure what its full intentions are. I think it was very powerful and has a ton of artistic merit. Even if it was hard to watch. But it also seems like a lot of fans of the show like it for the violence and nudity. Even though I'm fairly sure those parts are supposed to make you feel uncomfortable.

I will probably never forget it, but I will very sparingly credit it because a lot of people like it for the wrong reasons. But it provoked a lot of emotions, and that's what I look for in anime. Even though some of them wear on me a lot.

FilthyImp posted:

I think in terms of how sumptuous it was, yourself have to go to Promare/Redline.

Thanks.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 7, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnUrPhEp9EE

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
watch rideback, OP

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tales of Woe posted:

well they don't promote the japan-made magical girl shows they pick up either

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I was about to get Funimation because I want dubs, but it turns out Europeans aren't allowed to use the service.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Feliday Melody posted:

I was about to get Funimation because I want dubs, but it turns out Europeans aren't allowed to use the service.

Is Netflix good in Europe? I was under the impression that other regions have a better selection all around cause there’s not like a half dozen streaming sites racing each other to operate at a deficit like in the states.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Last Celebration posted:

Is Netflix good in Europe? I was under the impression that other regions have a better selection all around cause there’s not like a half dozen streaming sites racing each other to operate at a deficit like in the states.

I don't know. I've never used a streaming service.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i love the fact this exists because the guy's daughter is apparently a huge precure fan

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Afaik Netflix Europe has the same anime selection as the US but Funimation also works here too. Guess we're not part if Europe anymore anyway :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mix. posted:

i love the fact this exists because the guy's daughter is apparently a huge precure fan
wait lol it's real and not a photoshop? amazing.

Feliday Melody posted:

would using expressvpn or another vpn service allow you access to it?

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Captain Invictus posted:

would using expressvpn or another vpn service allow you access to it?

I think so, but it seems like a lot of effort to basically force them to take my money. :v:

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 7, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yes but that is the world we live in now

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Captain Invictus posted:

yes but that is the world we live in now

Will it make all my dreams come true? Does it have all the world's anime as dubs?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

🏴‍☠️🦜

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
^

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A PARROT

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mirage posted:

I would, parrots are cute.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
parrots are bastards

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this does not exclude them from also being cute

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mirage posted:

It was the default avatar on my Mac Mini for nine years

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Tokyo Sniper is a drat good album

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
https://twitter.com/aiu404l/status/1456653155429601283

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

D-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-doppioooooooooooooooooooo!?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Plutonis posted:

Also i want to see Revy pegging Rock

It's one of those things we all know in our heart is true, like how Makima from Chainsawman definitely owns a strap.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Is there a way to correlate between the top myanimelist animes (which are almost always their Japanese name) with the English names? It makes it kinda hard to find new stuff to watch.

(I hear Kitsu is for the cool kids now tho. But the top anime on Kitsu is Demon Slayer? It's not that good honestly, it's fine and everything but nowhere near the best anime)

e: by the way I read the Gleipnir manga and holllly poo poo did they murder the entire concept later on. The show was at its best when it was full of intrigue and then they're just like "what if there wasn't intrigue, there was almost nothing going on, and the main characters fuse and win. Oh and we won't even show the girl getting powers either"

I maintain it was good though before then. What a wasted concept, did the author just want to get it over with or something?

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 7, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

all of the top lists on those sites are 99% the same mid shonen series, really not worth using as a resource unless you're going like 500+ deep to stuff that isn't surface level/additional seasons of some other popular thing hyped by people with years and hundreds of eps of investment. also see recent incidents like Fruits Basket taking top spot on MAL out of nowhere, and a coordinated bombing campaign to put it back below FMA:B.

there may be scripts to force it out there but clicking into show pages will give you the Alternate Title section just below the series image, and some pages have the English title below the romaji one across the top.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the most popular things aren't going to be the 'best' things, they're going to be the things with the broadest appeal. demon slayer is decent, looks extremely nice, is easy to understand, has fairly appealing character designs for both guys and girls, has some drama, some comedy, and some action, and doesn't really have anything potentially offputting or complex.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

plus the anime hasn't gotten to when it goes a bit off a cliff

i'll grant that i was super critical of where demon slayer went right after finishing it but i have relaxed because at least it's not black clover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah MAL/anilist scores are hilariously skewed by genre and series length, don't use them as your guide unless you want the taste of a teenage shonen anime fan

anilist lets you change the UI to english titles if you're logged in, not sure if MAL has the same option