Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

ISIS apparently bombed and attempted to assassinate the current PM of Iraq a few minutes ago.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1457165963359576066

Wait was it ISIS? It seems from that article like it might have been Shiite militias. ISIS are wahhabists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ogmius815 posted:

Wait was it ISIS? It seems from that article like it might have been Shiite militias. ISIS are wahhabists.

They don't know who did it. When the news was breaking, they said it was "an apparent act of terrorism" and Shia militias denied it, so they thought it was ISIS.

There are clashes over the election and Shia groups have been protesting, so some people suspect Shia militias.

quote:

No one has claimed responsibility for the assassination attempt, but it comes amid heightened tensions in the capital.

On Friday, one person was killed and dozens were wounded after supporters of Iran-backed militias clashed with Iraqi security forces near the Green Zone, health officials told CNN.

Parties representing Iran-backed militias called for protests after losing Parliament seats during Iraq's elections last month, angering militia leaders and sparking several protests and sit-ins over the past weeks.

quote:

An exploding drone aimed at the Iraqi prime minister’s house has failed to kill him, the government has said. Mustafa al-Kadhimi was reported by the government to be unharmed.

In a statement released early on Sunday, the government said the drone tried to hit al-Kadhimi’s home in Baghdad’s heavily fortified Green Zone, which houses foreign embassies and government offices. Residents of Baghdad heard an explosion followed by gunfire in the area.

Two Iraqi officials told the Associated Press that seven of his security guards were injured in the attack. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to give official statements.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Right on - but we should still expect this to pass correct?
I don’t know. The Supreme Court right now is kinda schizophrenic about stuff like this, so who knows - but if I were a betting goon I’d say the vaccine mandate is fine.

But I’m not so don’t toxx me bro.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Joe Biden ripping a huge one in front of the Queen-to-be is extremely good and I like him better for it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

Joe Biden ripping a huge one in front of the Queen-to-be is extremely good and I like him better for it.

Obama gave the Queen a new iPod, Biden give her a big ol' raspberry.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fall-frederic-ewen-center-for-academic-freedom-forum-10-years-after-occupy-tickets-198348936007

I really wanna attend this, but it doesn't fit my schedule. I did make it to zuccotti in '19, for the S17 reunion (just after gretas visit), and by then I'd been friends with a good chunk of them (between the OG anons, the folk I met camping at the dnc and rnc in '16, the rainbow fam/drum circle peeps I've met in the woods, train kids I met rubbertrampin', etc).

This influential population was targeted early with conspiratorialism by malicious actors, and some definitely took the bait. There's a broader network of intentional communities with a strong relationship with OWS, and I can report from personal experience that the qanon cultists have run off the antifascist elements in at least one such community.

Buy yeah. Can't make it.

Edit: If you dug up the old ows thread, I was stanning them hard while many were openly mocking or concern trolling or otherwise doing capitals work, and after folk here pushed the narrative that drum circle killed it, that a population operating by consensus is now proven unreasonable, and that nothing was accomplished (even as it set the stage for the Bernie wing- and we all know how the IRA worked to signal boost that, then pulled that wedge attack where a bunch of sockpuppets skinned as Bernie bros send rapey dms to irl Hill supporters on fb, right as 'Bernie bros' was introduced as a term - and how that may have played into the plot to give Trump the executive in '16)

Hrrm. Lot ties here.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 7, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Relevant Tangent posted:

camilla won't be queen, the royal line doesn't run through her, hence why she's a duchess and not a princess. so biden only did an old man fart in front of a royal consort

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

camilla won't be queen, the royal line doesn't run through her, hence why she's a duchess and not a princess. so biden only did an old man fart in front of a royal consort

I always thought that rule only applies to husbands because Kings automatically outrank Queens so if the monarch-via-primogeniture is a queen you can't be a king or it'd gently caress all the succession poo poo up. Diana was a Princess, did she have some relation to the Royal Family? I always thought she was just from some rando noble house.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think we can all agree that the Crusader Kings 3 expansion needs to come the heck out already. 2022 is too long to wait!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

MooselanderII posted:

I'm sorry, as written, this is incomprehensible. Please try again.

Lmao, nah you're good.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Of course the Iraqi government is going to blame isis, blaming Shiite militias would be detrimental to the current peace

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Is the 1.2 trillion in the BIF a ten-year projection like the BBB, or is that all in 2021? I'm interested in comparing it to other superpowers to get a sense of scale on how Historic and Once In A Century or Whatever this is. Looking at other superpowers, China's invested about 8 trillion on infrastructure in 2020 (according to Politico, though that apparently includes private investments?)

I mean, it's good that these bridges are being repaired & potholes are being filled, it just feels like a lot of backpatting for what should be completely normal and benign investments, especially considering the amount of private grift it will attract, and considering the US's place as the wealthiest nation in the world. And especially considering that it's now come at the price of killing BBB.

E: CNN's article says its 550 billion in new investments over 5 years?

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 7, 2021

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Apparently the reason she is a duchess rather than princess is just out of respect for Diana (and concern about PR problems):

quote:

As royal expert Marlene Koenig told Town & Country, when she married Prince Charles, “Camilla was not popular or well liked, [although] this has changed a lot since the marriage as Camilla has taken on a lot of patronages and Charles is a lot happier. Still, [there was] a lot of tension and anger among a certain element of the population—so it was decided that Camilla would be styled as the Duchess of Cornwall, even though, of course, she is the Princess of Wales.”

And it's rather complicated what would happen when/if Charles becomes King:

quote:

“Unless decided otherwise, a Queen consort is crowned with the King, in a similar but simpler ceremony. If the new Sovereign is a Queen, her consort is not crowned or anointed at the coronation ceremony.”

But let’s dive deeper into that “unless decided otherwise” line, shall we? ’Cause, um…

Back when Charles and Camilla married in 2005, the couple issued a statement saying she planned to “use the title HRH the Princess Consort when the Prince of Wales accedes to the throne.” And then in March 2020, reps for the couple reiterated this to The Times, saying, “The intention is for the duchess to be known as princess consort when the prince accedes to the throne. This was announced at the time of the marriage and there has been absolutely no change at all.”

. . .

Here’s the thing though. Constitutional Affairs Minister Christopher Leslie implied all the way back in 2005 that it doesn’t really matter if Charles and Camilla want Camilla to become princess consort because “this is absolutely unequivocal that she automatically becomes queen when he becomes king.”

So…guess we’ll see what happens!

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/a36863515/camilla-parker-bowles-queen-title-charles-king/

So apparently it's unclear exactly who sniffed Biden's trouser gas.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 7, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

I think him dumping rear end in front of the Pope was funnier overall

Hey kid's, choose your own favorite Joe Biden Shits His Pants in Public moment

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

is pepsi ok posted:

Here's a concrete example of this:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1454147639046512650

A nice visualization of what "better than nothing" actually means.

What really drives me mad is, it's already too late.

If you somehow gained John Stuart Mill "If all mankind minus 1" powers, except in this case it would be based around reality instead of speech, and stopped absolutely everything on this planet contributing to climate change cold, and basically said "Get to work inventing substitutes and better ways, these are gone.", the planet's still going to be hammered over and over for the next generation, at least, due to how the actions ripple. Probably two generations, if not more. So not only is mankind suffering under what it wrought, but it's been robbed of many, many enjoyments that we sacrificed the future for.

I honestly would not be surprised if the world ended up destroying itself in a third world war before 20 years had passed, because so much of their enjoyments would be gone, which for what, 85 percent of people is all they live for? At least in the first world? And those people would just get angrier and angrier and want to do SOMETHING to express it. It's basically why trying to do widespread climate action is, at best, one step forward, ten steps back, because any sort of actual effect would require immense sacrifice, and we all know how humans are when it comes to sacrifice. ESPECIALLY when some rear end in a top hat with no soul and a desire for power comes along and says "gently caress these people, follow me, you can do stuff you like again."

I suspect whatever history documents are being written in 2121 are going to be 70 percent cursing us out and reviling us on the level of the usual suspects of the 20th century, except spread across us wholly as a society. So you might as well do SOMETHING, because a personal moral victory is better than nothing, especially if we end up at the same place either way.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yinlock posted:

I kind of appreciate that you folks have been able to transition smoothly from

"The President did not poo poo his pants." / "I TOTALLY poo poo MY PANTS!"

to

"Did the President poo poo his pants?" / "Yes, and your point is...?"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I kind of appreciate that you folks have been able to transition smoothly from

"The President did not poo poo his pants." / "I TOTALLY poo poo MY PANTS!"

to

"Did the President poo poo his pants?" / "Yes, and your point is...?"

I've never once denied he poo poo his pants, but it's probably the least offensive thing he's done in an official capacity so I don't care all that much.

It's also extremely funny. If people are going to pretend that he's a very important figure and not an ancient skeleton with a horrific political history being trotted out like a puppet to say platitudes then i'm going to laugh when he dumps rear end on live TV.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm looking at this BBB thing and I can't seem to find the part where Biden stuffs thousands of dollars in my bank account like Trump did.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm looking at this BBB thing and I can't seem to find the part where Biden stuffs thousands of dollars in my bank account like Trump did.

Have you tried being a megacorporation or independently wealthy? That might help with this issue

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Whom amongst us has never soiled their undergarments in public?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Freakazoid_ posted:

Buy a $1 million house in New York state.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Neurolimal posted:

Is the 1.2 trillion in the BIF a ten-year projection like the BBB, or is that all in 2021? I'm interested in comparing it to other superpowers to get a sense of scale on how Historic and Once In A Century or Whatever this is. Looking at other superpowers, China's invested about 8 trillion on infrastructure in 2020 (according to Politico, though that apparently includes private investments?)

I mean, it's good that these bridges are being repaired & potholes are being filled, it just feels like a lot of backpatting for what should be completely normal and benign investments, especially considering the amount of private grift it will attract, and considering the US's place as the wealthiest nation in the world. And especially considering that it's now come at the price of killing BBB.

E: CNN's article says its 550 billion in new investments over 5 years?

The 10-year timeline for BBB is because of reconciliation. The regular order bill depends on different projects.

Most of them are finished in less than 4 years, but some of them are grants to states to support longer-term projects (like California's HSR project that isn't scheduled to be finished until 2033, but the federal money for it will be entirely dispersed by 2025).

A lot of the bill is essentially paying pack the 50 years we haven't been investing in infrastructure (it eliminates Amtrak's project and maintenance backlog, updates all of the trains to newer electric models, electrifies tracks, fixes roads/bridges/highways that haven't been maintained, upgrades airports/ports/buildings to be more modern/climate resistant/zero-emission.) So, those can start right away.

Other parts fund grants for X years or go to building X number of EV charging stations for X years.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

The 10-year timeline for BBB is because of reconciliation. The regular order bill depends on different projects.

Most of them are finished in less than 4 years, but some of them are grants to states to support longer-term projects (like California's HSR project that isn't scheduled to be finished until 2033, but the federal money for it will be entirely dispersed by 2025).

A lot of the bill is essentially paying pack the 50 years we haven't been investing in infrastructure (it eliminates Amtrak's project and maintenance backlog, updates all of the trains to newer electric models, electrifies tracks, fixes roads/bridges/highways that haven't been maintained, upgrades airports/ports/buildings to be more modern/climate resistant/zero-emission.) So, those can start right away.

Other parts fund grants for X years or go to building X number of EV charging stations for X years.

Is 1 trillion enough to do all this enough for the average person to notice it all happening? Seems like a small amount of money for decades of no spending.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

Is 1 trillion enough to do all this enough for the average person to notice it all happening? Seems like a small amount of money for decades of no spending.

No.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Thom12255 posted:

Some of them will definitively be noticed. California and West Virginia in particular have several major projects that are scheduled to be done in two years or less (West Virginia is getting a highway that has been half-finished finally completed and California is starting its HSR project back up and tripling the number of EV charging stations).

It is a large amount of one-time spending (about 13x the average annual federal infrastructure spending in the U.S.), but when most of these are following 20-30 years of under-investment, then it definitely isn't enough to completely update and fix every under-investment from that time period.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

West Virginia is getting a highway that has been half-finished finally completed

Just rewards for the tireless efforts of the gentleman from West Virginia and certainly not leverage that should have been used for negotiations

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yinlock posted:

The Pope doesn't have any real power. Fart all royalty to death.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Cornwind Evil posted:

What really drives me mad is, it's already too late.

If you somehow gained John Stuart Mill "If all mankind minus 1" powers, except in this case it would be based around reality instead of speech, and stopped absolutely everything on this planet contributing to climate change cold, and basically said "Get to work inventing substitutes and better ways, these are gone.", the planet's still going to be hammered over and over for the next generation, at least, due to how the actions ripple. Probably two generations, if not more. So not only is mankind suffering under what it wrought, but it's been robbed of many, many enjoyments that we sacrificed the future for.

I honestly would not be surprised if the world ended up destroying itself in a third world war before 20 years had passed, because so much of their enjoyments would be gone, which for what, 85 percent of people is all they live for? At least in the first world? And those people would just get angrier and angrier and want to do SOMETHING to express it. It's basically why trying to do widespread climate action is, at best, one step forward, ten steps back, because any sort of actual effect would require immense sacrifice, and we all know how humans are when it comes to sacrifice. ESPECIALLY when some rear end in a top hat with no soul and a desire for power comes along and says "gently caress these people, follow me, you can do stuff you like again."

I suspect whatever history documents are being written in 2121 are going to be 70 percent cursing us out and reviling us on the level of the usual suspects of the 20th century, except spread across us wholly as a society. So you might as well do SOMETHING, because a personal moral victory is better than nothing, especially if we end up at the same place either way.

This and quite a few posts this week itt from others are getting at the same thing: what do we do if people overall are bad, or at least incredibly selfish and spiteful politically?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

The Pope doesn't have any real power. Fart all royalty to death.

This is uhhh…not right. He’s the monarchical ruler of the largest, oldest, and wealthiest non-state organization in the world. Also a small state.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

This and quite a few posts this week itt from others are getting at the same thing: what do we do if people overall are bad, or at least incredibly selfish and spiteful politically?

Lord Kril taught us the answer

https://images.app.goo.gl/8WH1GkoHQRiSLdEa9

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ogmius815 posted:

This is uhhh…not right. He’s the monarchical ruler of the largest, oldest, and wealthiest non-state organization in the world. Also a small state.

he's not a monarch, nobody is born under his rule, and actual monarchs still exist so fart them to death first imo

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

Is he though? It's an elected position.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Yeah, long history of the barons coming together to elect their king from amongst themselves...

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I don’t know if you guys are joking, but not all monarchs are hereditary. There are elected monarchs.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Looks like this guy ain't ever heard of the Holy Roman Empire.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ogmius815 posted:

I don’t know if you guys are joking, but not all monarchs are hereditary. There are elected monarchs.

I learned that in Star Wars

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Yinlock posted:

I've never once denied he poo poo his pants, but it's probably the least offensive thing he's done in an official capacity so I don't care all that much.

It's also extremely funny. If people are going to pretend that he's a very important figure and not an ancient skeleton with a horrific political history being trotted out like a puppet to say platitudes then i'm going to laugh when he dumps rear end on live TV.

Now there’s some thread title material

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Obama gave the Queen a new iPod, Biden give her a big ol' raspberry.

His hatred of the English is one of his few endearing qualities.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Bel Shazar posted:

Yeah, long history of the barons coming together to elect their king from amongst themselves...

Like when an IK becomes a mod, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Like when an IK becomes a mod, yeah.

I prefer to think of it as IKs being plucky beat reporters and mods being J Jonah Jameson