Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

Are you being facetious or are you genuinely puzzled? Sometimes I think you phrase questions like this because you don't believe that certain people are getting money (and I figured you had a good basis for that like bureaucracy keeping it from getting to people who didn't have to file tax returns or something like that).

No, I'm not being facetious. I actually thought giving monthly checks to parents would boost Biden (and particularly on economic issues), although I've predicted all along there might be blowback come refund time.

Even with that first survey about single parents not getting it as much as wealthier families, and the stories about that scam-looking website people had to use for enroll, I thought the kinks would be worked out by, I dunno, the second or third month of the rollout.

I was always skeptical about the claims that the expanded credit would cut child poverty in half--especially since initial projections were based on Dems passing a living wage--but I thought it'd be a mad-popular policy among those receiving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Full disclosure: I make 130k and my wife and I are fortunate enough that she's able to stay at home and be with our kids. We have received the full stimulus amount every time. It's never sat right with me that a single parent who makes 90k gets nothing versus me. They need it more than I do.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

A single parent would get the money if it's sent to them instead of their non-custodial partner/ex. (Split households are told to work it out between themselves.)

It's the lower-income single parents--the ones who don't have access to desktop apps or who don't have to file taxes--who weren't receiving the tax credits according to the survey.

That was only covering the first month of the money going out, but a follow-up story on the website said it was still fubar as of the end of september.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yinlock posted:

e: ARE SCHOOLS has been a pet issue of the right for forever, they are constantly convinced that schools are a tool of communist indoctrination(meanwhile hard-right schooling is just 90% "Obedience is good. Obedience makes you happy."). If dems are suddenly losing to it that's not a sign that it's the biggest issue of our times, it means that Dems are unable or unwilling to put forward something more compelling which is itself worrying.

Parents don’t give a poo poo about any of the CRT or bathrooms or whatever horseshit the GOP is pushing. They’re angry about remote and closures and the lasting effects those things has on their kids.

The Dems are doing worse than unwilling, they’re putting forward contempt.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Parents don’t give a poo poo about any of the CRT or bathrooms or whatever horseshit the GOP is pushing. They’re angry about remote and closures and the lasting effects those things has on their kids.

The Dems are doing worse than unwilling, they’re putting forward contempt.

Contempt at what? Handling schools? Every school in the US is back now, so that poo poo is over.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I believe a lot of schools went back here in FL back in what, April or May? I don't think that's an issue.

I do think people are underestimating the fact that suburban voters, who in the past have tended to vote more GOP, are once again doing so because Trump is no longer on the ballot and Youngkin successfully kept enough of a distance from Trump in public to at least appear he doesn't support a lot of the same stuff that Trump does.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

When Virginia Democrats won from 2013-2019 it was because they were sensible moderate centrists who proved the wisdom of the Virginia Model, when those exact same people ate poo poo just now well it turns out they were woke radical left communists all along!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Is AOC correct in saying that universal pre-K was stripped from BBB?

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1457443366032056323

edit: Leon's explanation below makes sense; I got confused bc she referred to drug-price "reform" that's already been turned into a PhRMA wishlist.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 8, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Willa Rogers posted:

This is the first I've heard, previously it was still in there

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shammypants posted:

Contempt at what? Handling schools? Every school in the US is back now, so that poo poo is over.

Not if it was a problem for your child. It’s going to be years recovering from it. The university out here did a longitudinal study of children. Severe behavioral issues went way the hell up from like 20% to 50% of kids in the study. Once that happens v one has to fix it and fixing it is really goddamn hard.

Think about what the pandemic did. Kids have relationships within the community. All those got cut off abruptly. Only now going on nearly two years in are those starting to really be rebuilt. Trusting relationships with adults takes time to build. A isolated pair (or single) of parents isn’t enough however good at parenting they are, it really does take community to raise kids well.

And you obviously not having a kid that has problems with the whole thing, say “that poo poo is over.” Now parents are being poo poo on by the schools for their kids problems that were caused by the utterly poo poo job those very schools did at remote. Cause “that poo poo is over”

What you just did, when a politician does it... gently caress. Done. Doesn’t matter how racist the opponent is a percentage of those parents are going to anger vote, to gently caress you vote.

You don’t even have the awareness to realize what you said and why is a problem.

The right is going to gently caress the left on this. Unless they get it right now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

She's complaining that the moderates delayed the vote on BBB in the House that was scheduled for Friday because they "needed to wait" for the CBO score. That's what she means by "killed passage this weekend" over "small process demands."

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1457445245000507395

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Not if it was a problem for your child. It’s going to be years recovering from it.The university out here did a longitudinal study of children. Severe behavioral issues went way the hell up from like 20% to 50% of kids in the study. Once that happens v one has to fix it and fixing it is really goddamn hard.

Think about what the pandemic did. Kids have relationships within the community. All those got cut off abruptly. Only now going on nearly two years in are those starting to really be rebuilt. Trusting relationships with adults takes time to build. A isolated pair (or single) of parents isn’t enough however good at parenting they are, it really does take community to raise kids well.

And you obviously not having a kid that has problems with the whole thing, say “that poo poo is over.” Now parents are being poo poo on by the schools for their kids problems that were caused by the utterly poo poo job those very schools did at remote. Cause “that poo poo is over”

What you just did, when a politician does it... gently caress. Done. Doesn’t matter how racist the opponent is a percentage of those parents are going to anger vote, to gently caress you vote.

You don’t even have the awareness to realize what you said and why is a problem.

The right is going to gently caress the left on this. Unless they get it right now.

Managing schools, public places etc. was a serious issue that had to be dealt with quickly, with little history and experience to go along with the process. Most places did the best they could, on average they did as good as can be expected. I'm looking through journal article after journal article and I don't see these wildly inflated behavioral issue numbers you're finding. That's not to say there won't be struggles among a number of students with many disparities by race, income and other factors. Nonetheless, the experience of lockdowns and closed school is over. Many schools, as the research and reporting indicates, are acclimating quickly to school and home life under more regular circumstances. Normality will be the experience for the overwhelming majority of people going forward. If the right wants to "gently caress the left" for actually caring about children and their families and making tough choices, well I guess that's going to be the way it loving is.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shammypants posted:

Managing schools, public places etc. was a serious issue that had to be dealt with quickly, with little history and experience to go along with the process. Most places did the best they could, on average they did as good as can be expected. I'm looking through journal article after journal article and I don't see these wildly inflated behavioral issue numbers you're finding. That's not to say there won't be struggles among a number of students with many disparities by race, income and other factors. Nonetheless, the experience of lockdowns and closed school is over. Many schools, as the research and reporting indicates, are acclimating quickly to school and home life under more regular circumstances. Normality will be the experience for the overwhelming majority of people going forward. If the right wants to "gently caress the left" for actually caring about children and their families and making tough choices, well I guess that's going to be the way it loving is.

You aren’t listening. Generally it isn’t a good idea to be condescending and simultaneously not listening.

For those reading examine the quoted post and the structure of the reasoning and response. “I'm looking through journal article after journal article”. “Nonetheless, the experience of lockdowns and closed school is over.”

Generally when a personal lived experience is presented. It isn’t a good strategy to deny its reality because it’s not in a journal article. It’s also particularly stupid to declare something actively continuing to be experienced “is over”. poo poo ain’t over for parents (at least considerate ones) until they can get all their kids vaccinated. Parents are still largely isolated from their communities and for those with small, under 5s, kids unvaccinated that could still be the case for months.

“Normality will be the experience”... Do you talk to parents? Do you think they would agree anything will be normal again going forward? When a system fails and basically abandons the people that participate in it, that isn’t reversible. Their participation and relationships with the system don’t go back to normal.

Politicians that think like Shammypants is thinking here in close races are going to lose. That’s disastrous, it means insane revolutionary romantics will win those races.

It’s going to be especially bad in areas that spent a year closed, then opened this year with masks and NPIs and then... basically didn’t have spread. (Lol next he’ll tell me he doesn’t see that in the data or journals) That tends to be happening in middle class to rich white suburbs. That demo votes, reliably votes, considers it a duty to society to vote.

But you aren’t listening.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

According to Willa's poll only 25% of Americans even think BBB will help them period, so who even gives a poo poo. All the loving garment rending and exulting about how Dems are shooting themselves in the foot by whittling down the bill and the people it's supposed to help don't even want it.

This is what "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" thinking gets you. Watered down bills that even the people pushing it know won't really help anyone.

quote:

And don't tell me its because of cuts, do you think anyone responding to that poll even knows what's supposed to be in build back better other than the vague 6o'clock news summary of "Biden's social and climate spending agenda?"

Is it so difficult to imagine a world where people's world views are not spoon fed to them on the nightly news? Can they not base their opinions on, say, history? Experience?

quote:

All any idiot in this country cares about is the vague reality-free FEELING they have about whether things are going well or not, which is mostly dictated to them by their social media algorithm. Why should I believ even the original 6 trillion version would mean anything different at this point? Every day just makes it look more and more like Facebook killed the human race.

Another poster said that this was doomerism but I'd also like to say that this whole post has been a pretty classic example of bad faith posting. The poster doesn't care to actually engage with anything anyone is actually saying in the thread, but instead is labeling entire swaths of people (in this thread and the populace at large) as being simply too stupid or riddled with right-wing ideology to engage with an idea like "the Democrats will not follow through with their promises of making my life better"

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I believe a lot of schools went back here in FL back in what, April or May? I don't think that's an issue.

I do think people are underestimating the fact that suburban voters, who in the past have tended to vote more GOP, are once again doing so because Trump is no longer on the ballot and Youngkin successfully kept enough of a distance from Trump in public to at least appear he doesn't support a lot of the same stuff that Trump does.

Pretty much yeah. Win by petty-bourgeois swing voters, die by petty-bourgeois swing voters

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

According to Willa's poll only 25% of Americans even think BBB will help them period, so who even gives a poo poo. All the loving garment rending and exulting about how Dems are shooting themselves in the foot by whittling down the bill and the people it's supposed to help don't even want it. And don't tell me its because of cuts, do you think anyone responding to that poll even knows what's supposed to be in build back better other than the vague 6o'clock news summary of "Biden's social and climate spending agenda?"

All any idiot in this country cares about is the vague reality-free FEELING they have about whether things are going well or not, which is mostly dictated to them by their social media algorithm. Why should I believ even the original 6 trillion version would mean anything different at this point? Every day just makes it look more and more like Facebook killed the human race.

There seems to be this self-fulfilling prophecy with the bill.

Biden won a huge victory with big promises of expanding social programs then took the senate in an upset double special election by just straight up promising to send people $2000 checks.

Then all we've heard since then is how they're cutting it down. Now the checks are $1400, not we're not doing minimum wage. OK time to negotiate the rest of the social spending: now we're not investing in green energy, we're not lowering prices of most drugs, we're not lowering the Medicare eligibility age, now we're not doing the public option, now we're only doing four weeks of family leave, now we're excluding minimum wage workers from family leave, now we're saving Trump's tax cuts for the rich, now we're doing more tax cuts for the rich, now we're making a bunch of it temporary.

10 months of "we're cutting this, we're not doing that, we're means-testing this, we're putting expirations on that, we're cutting costs to pay for more perks for Richie Rich" and most Americans don't think it's going to help them. Is "see they can't even see how we're helping them, so we shouldn't have even bothered at all!" really the only possible conclusion to come to here?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 8, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The obsession with getting Back To Normal is part of the problem, the appearance of everything being fine has become more important than things actually being fine(see also student loans starting up again for no reason).

Sanguinia posted:

According to Willa's poll only 25% of Americans even think BBB will help them period, so who even gives a poo poo. All the loving garment rending and exulting about how Dems are shooting themselves in the foot by whittling down the bill and the people it's supposed to help don't even want it. And don't tell me its because of cuts, do you think anyone responding to that poll even knows what's supposed to be in build back better other than the vague 6o'clock news summary of "Biden's social and climate spending agenda?"

Instead of just writing off anyone who doesn't care about BBB as a drooling moron, take a moment to think about why. People don't think the government is going to help them, because it largely does not and the ruling class spends all day thinking of ways to give themselves money.

How do we change this perception? By loving helping people instead of siphoning their money straight to a hog trough and feasting while hollering about how the poors are just too stupid to appreciate all this hard work. Or trying to weasel out of your promises. Or overcomplicating everything into a means-tested tax credit for ages 55-60 under the libra sign. Just...loving do something useful and talk about how you're doing something useful.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
We're in the crunch phase before the real poo poo starts

Some of the true believers might actually think they can keep the status quo going if they just believe hard enough

But either through climate change, massive inequality or both, there's going to be massive mortality rates in the coming decades and all this poo poo will seem like so much silly nonsense

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

We're in the crunch phase before the real poo poo starts

Some of the true believers might actually think they can keep the status quo going if they just believe hard enough

But either through climate change, massive inequality or both, there's going to be massive mortality rates in the coming decades and all this poo poo will seem like so much silly nonsense

I mean that's going to come from the refusal to address the current problems, so I don't really think they'll be particularly silly.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Aspiring border agent, dancer, engineer among concert dead

A race traitor died in the Travis Scott concert stampede.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Shammypants posted:

Yea, we're in a weird situation where republicans can run on stopping culture war issues that aren't even occurring and win elections, and democrats need to broadly repair the country during an unprecedented global event in order to campaign and win. This idea of winning elections by materially improving people's lives sounds good on paper but it surely wasn't the driving issue in Virginia- it was revenge, craziness at schools, craziness over covid vaccinations and mask mandates etc.

To be clear "the culture war issues that aren't even occurring and winning elections for the GOP" is literally just one thing: CRT. Their other recent culture war attempts mostly fell flat or did so-so at best.

CRT is in a class all it's own. It's working because it's more than just culture war. First, it's straight up good old fashioned, never out style racism, and invoking "fear of the other" is by far and away the most effective button to push to get someone's vote in the entire history of civilization.

The other thing about CRT that's so inviting I came across when I got curious about what goes on in the heads of Republican voters and spent a bunch of time reading r/AskConservatives and r/AskTrumpSupporters. One of the things that came through in their discussions above basically everything else is just how incredibly triggered they are about being called racist. I swear that White Fragility grifter lady is living rent free in every single Conservative head in America. CRT is their new gospel because it perfectly aligns and validates their deeply held white grievance.

America is truly a country of some of the worlds greatest ironies. And one of those is the realization that we cannot learn, or have any kind of national discussion about slavery without a certain group of people feeling unbelievably intense bitterness and resentment, and amazingly that certain group of people aren't the descendants of the people this country used to enslave.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 8, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
CRT hate works because nobody knows what it means; conservatives think it's about hating yourself for being white (and that failson class didnt help), independent/apolitical people see it as something new/ambiguous/scary which lets anyone define it for them (and because conservatives have been better on messaging, its been defined negatively), and some leftists associate it with subverting class analysis (because some liberals have pushed The 1619 Project as the face of it).

Like with most race-based subjects (such as BLM or Defund the Police) the issue is first and foremost that democrats never want to defend this stuff or put a positive spin. Youngkin defined it as teaching white kids racial self-loathing, and instead of substantially refuting this McAlf compounded on it with "and parents wont be able to stop those teachers if I'm re-elected".

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 8, 2021

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Yinlock posted:

The obsession with getting Back To Normal is part of the problem, the appearance of everything being fine has become more important than things actually being fine(see also student loans starting up again for no reason).

Instead of just writing off anyone who doesn't care about BBB as a drooling moron, take a moment to think about why. People don't think the government is going to help them, because it largely does not and the ruling class spends all day thinking of ways to give themselves money.

How do we change this perception? By loving helping people instead of siphoning their money straight to a hog trough and feasting while hollering about how the poors are just too stupid to appreciate all this hard work. Or trying to weasel out of your promises. Or overcomplicating everything into a means-tested tax credit for ages 55-60 under the libra sign. Just...loving do something useful and talk about how you're doing something useful.

With the general government track record, Dems included, there is no reason why I think any vaguely named big-rear end spending bill will help me. They want to add in some more stimmy checks or raise my wages or cut my taxes? Yeah, that will help me. Tell me another $1200 or $1400 will go into my pocket if it passes and yeah I'll say it will help me.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Neurolimal posted:

CRT hate works because nobody knows what it means; conservatives think it's about hating yourself for being white (and that failson class didnt help), independent/apolitical people see it as something new/ambiguous/scary which lets anyone define it for them (and because conservatives have been better on messaging, its been defined negatively), and some leftists associate it with subverting class analysis (because some liberals have pushed The 1619 Project as the face of it).

There is something in this characterization that I can't quite put my finger on, but that strikes me as both amusing and saying much more about the US than meets the eye. Conservatives, independents, and apolitical people — a solid 50-80% of Americans — reacting to CRT like willfully ignorant brutes. Then the American leftists (there are dozens of us!) mad about CRT because they missed some really simple basics while on the express train to arguing about Hegelian dialectics or some poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neurolimal posted:

Like with most race-based subjects (such as BLM or Defund the Police) the issue is first and foremost that democrats never want to defend this stuff or put a positive spin. Youngkin defined it as teaching white kids racial self-loathing, and instead of substantially refuting this McAlf compounded on it with "and parents wont be able to stop those teachers if I'm re-elected".

This is a key thing, Democrats desperately look for any excuse to give up on anything but empty and worthless platitudes.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

How are u posted:

I think it's weird too, but also slightly refreshing for some folks to really put it out there that the only thing they truly care about is cash money in their hand, nothing else matters. I can't wrap my head around that type of thinking, the world and politics and governance are so fabulously more complex than that, but for some folks it really seems to be nothing more than "money please, gimme money".

Wild, but people continue to bring it up, so it must resonate strongly for them.

E: like, I want more government cash too! I could drat well use it! But it certainly isn't like literally the only thing that matters to me lol.

It's because childless computer touchers with totally secure jobs don't actually see the benefits from things like extended unemployment or the child tax credit, and they tend to be bad at remembering the existence of programs that don't directly benefit them in some way. They're reliant on the media to know about the impact these kinds of programs are having, and even nominally progressive media often ignores them.

Yinlock posted:

This framing also implies that the school issue resonated so strongly that it swung the entire election, rather than it being the only issue raised because the other candidate ran on nothing except Not That.

Having kids sent home for months was a Big Deal, one that had a big impact on pretty much everyone regardless of class and demographic. For well-off white people who weren't particularly anxious about COVID and didn't work a service job that got shut down, it was probably the biggest lifestyle impact of the pandemic, even more so than having their favorite hairdresser and gym closed down.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Not if it was a problem for your child. It’s going to be years recovering from it. The university out here did a longitudinal study of children. Severe behavioral issues went way the hell up from like 20% to 50% of kids in the study. Once that happens v one has to fix it and fixing it is really goddamn hard.

The fact that so many parents in this country are so angry about having to deal with the fallout of decisions designed to SAVE THEIR CHILDRENS LIVES AND THE LIVES OF EVERYONE AROUND THEIR CHILDREN that they're willing to vote for Nazis just to give a middle finger to the people who SAVED THEIR CHILDREN'S LIVES is not normal, or comprehensible.

People yelled at me all day for daring to say Americans are actually dumb and irrational and let themselves be spoonfed their opinions, then they defend parents willing to punish politicians because their kids had to stay home to avoid a plague, or even just wear masks and take other basic loving safety measures. Have I shown you this article on my facebook feed about how masks damage social skill learning, or this one about how they raise Carbon Dioxide in the bloodstream?! Those are much worse than a virus that's killed millions I'll bet!

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Sanguinia posted:

The fact that so many parents in this country are so angry about having to deal with the fallout of decisions designed to SAVE THEIR CHILDRENS LIVES AND THE LIVES OF EVERYONE AROUND THEIR CHILDREN that they're willing to vote for Nazis just to give a middle finger to the people who SAVED THEIR CHILDREN'S LIVES is not normal, or comprehensible.

People yelled at me all day for daring to say Americans are actually dumb and irrational and let themselves be spoonfed their opinions, then they defend parents willing to punish politicians because their kids had to stay home to avoid a plague, or even just wear masks and take other basic loving safety measures. Have I shown you this article on my facebook feed about how masks damage social skill learning, or this one about how they raise Carbon Dioxide in the bloodstream?! Those are much worse than a virus that's killed millions I'll bet!

Lol you're simply the mirror image of a conservative mad about people not respecting the troops.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I get that parents are upset about the mental health of their children but what I don't get is why they think that can be fixed by telling them MLK didn't exist

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dubar posted:

I get that parents are upset about the mental health of their children but what I don't get is why they think that can be fixed by telling them MLK didn't exist

Because the narrative being pushed is "CRT only teaches your kids that all white people are bad, including them, and you should feel ashamed for being white. That's all it is, only that." and the Dems are doing a poo poo job of explaining that it isn't.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Feels like the only winning move on CRT is to push back against the parents in school curriculum thing that worked in VA, but otherwise let the outrage machine move on to the next big thing.

After all, if you're explaining, you're losing, and especially with something as complicated a college-level legal theory. If the dems start getting deep into explaining what it really means, it just makes it easier to paint them as supporting everything CRT stands for (or rather, what fox news convinces people it stands for)

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

the_steve posted:

Because the narrative being pushed is "CRT only teaches your kids that all white people are bad, including them, and you should feel ashamed for being white. That's all it is, only that." and the Dems are doing a poo poo job of explaining that it isn't.

If it takes longer than one sentence for Democrats to explain it, then they’ve already lost the argument regardless to the truth of it. Bumper sticker politics works quite effectively. It’s a tried and true tactic of forcing your opponent to explain or defend something that isn’t truth but it’s being screamed at loud enough that people are convinced it is. And when the democrat has to explain it? ‘He’s lying! You can’t convince me otherwise!’ And proceeds to vote GOP.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The Angry Bum posted:

If it takes longer than one sentence for Democrats to explain it, then they’ve already lost the argument regardless to the truth of it. Bumper sticker politics works quite effectively. It’s a tried and true tactic of forcing your opponent to explain or defend something that isn’t truth but it’s being screamed at loud enough that people are convinced it is. And when the democrat has to explain it? ‘He’s lying! You can’t convince me otherwise!’ And proceeds to vote GOP.

This is the point I’ve tried to make repeatedly.

The Democratic Party is poorly suited to attract votes from anyone except a subset of the liberal urban middle and upper classes. They take on a highly academic Ivy League mentality that rubs a lot of rural and urban working class people the wrong way. Their message does not resonate with normal people. An actual working class person who’s representative of what America actually looks like outside coastal cities is almost nonexistent among party candidates. The closest you might see that is a guy like Fetterman or someone working at the local level. The Dems purged all their new deal era working class reps with (at the time) younger and more small L liberal college kids in the 1970s and 1980s. It comes as no surprise they betrayed the working class shortly after and began pushing a neoliberal economic message.

They are woefully under-equipped and incapable of dealing with the sort of concise, emotional and inflammatory retail politics the republicans can carry out with impunity. I mean you might as well be a nerd trying to talk to a bunch of jocks and convince them to vote for you as a student council rep.

I look at how radical politics and liberal politics works in America today and what I see is a lot of people who don’t know how to talk to or even connect with the people they’re trying to represent. We’re like a bunch of rabbits trying to teach the water buffalo how to coordinate a combat strategy against some lions. The democrats or at least socialist groups like the DSA need to get out of the academic ivory tower and start recruiting people from working class and rural backgrounds that actually connect with their local communities. It’s not good enough to just bring some 25 year old college Marxist into the fold and expect them to deliver magic political victories. People have been trying that kind of poo poo since the 1800s and they failed just as miserably back then.

Major political change in America is going to come from unexpected places and often so quickly even the political gurus of this thread won’t see it coming and will find out too late to actually try and control whatever movement spontaneously rises up.

I think it’s already happening. The great reshuffle/great resignation is basically a rolling general strike in all but name. Just because people aren’t picketing or out there demanding political change doesn’t mean that people are either stupid or blind to the exploitation of microwave reheated robber -baron capitalism. But these same people are much more concerned with the minutiae of their day to day lives and have taken personal responsibility to change it so they can be happier. It didn’t come from an ideology or political orthodoxy. It’s just pragmatic self interest. I don’t care if you’re socialist or a die hard conservative nothing trumps pragmatic self interest. People in this thread are splitting hairs over bills that clearly still help people that many others in the thread are completely out and of touch with.

Again I strongly believe that the political change the country needs is going to come from places none of us expected or knew about. Every movement for political change often happens organically and spontaneously while independent of currently established organized politics. The big question is how much existing politics can co-opt or seize control of said movements once they get started.

The marxists for example were totally unprepared for the events of Bloody Sunday in 1905 and yet here was an entire movement of working class people demanding better pay and treatment at their workplaces. This wasn’t some socialist Revolution. It was literally just people wanting their self interest taken care of. The message didn’t go much further than that though they were certainly willing to accept other political changes if their own needs were met.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 8, 2021

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

Nazi Nazi Nazis!! Anyone who disagrees with me is a nazi!! No -- it can't be that the Democrats are bad at messaging or failing to present an alternative. It's that everyone but me is a member of the American NDSAP.

Sanguinia posted:

Do you want to engage any of the numerous people who "yelled at you all day" or would you like to continue shouting about NAZIS to no one in particular?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cow Bell posted:

Nazi Nazi Nazis!! Anyone who disagrees with me is a nazi!! No -- it can't be that the Democrats are bad at messaging or failing to present an alternative. It's that everyone but me is a member of the American NDSAP.

Democrats are a complete waste but also the GOP runs an explicitly fascist platform. Anyone who doesn't get that both of those things are simultaneously true is a simpleton, sorry

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Willa Rogers posted:

Looking forward to Dems winning in '22 & '24 with 34 percent of the vote. :allears:

Here's a new Suffolk poll that has even fewer voters thinking that B3 will change their lives for the better than the Emerson poll:

Crosstabs aren't out yet, so it's possible that 75 percent of the respondents were GOP voters claiming the opposite of "facts and reality," but I kind of doubt it.

God I'm loving fearful of a Trump resurgence. I know he's an idiot but he's loving unhinged

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 8, 2021

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Democrats are a complete waste but also the GOP runs an explicitly fascist platform. Anyone who doesn't get that both of those things are simultaneously true is a simpleton, sorry

Someone ought to do something about this, then! We've tried calling them Nazis, we've tried calling all their supporters Nazis, and now we're campaigning on "We're not Nazis" and it's still not working!

Maybe we should try something else.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
pretending fascists aren't fascists is not a winning strategy my dude

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

But you aren’t listening.

I listened and I responded to you in a pretty polite way considering I increasingly think you, personally, sound like you had a rough time and are looking for people to attack for no reason. That you had a rough time doesn’t mean you can make up statistics to make your circumstances seem the norm. That you had a rough time doesn’t mean you get to scream at people saying truths without insult, that school closures are over and now recovery begins. There’s nothing insulting there, and I’m not a school board meeting or teachers conference for you to scream at because of your personal experience. I’m not to blame for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Cow Bell posted:

The GOP is a fascist Party at this point friend. People are flying flags of a person now. The platform of the GOP is now "we support President Trump". That's not an exaggeration. Anyone who votes for Trump is a loving Nazi. You don't have to be a prison guard at Dachau to be a Nazi.