Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Anyone who votes for Trump is a loving Nazi.

Including 1 out of 10 black voters and 3 out of 10 Hispanic/Asian voters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Do we have any idea what this is about? I didn't see it mentioned. I have put some space in between me and political news for the most part due to mental health concerns so I'm not as dialed in as I used to be.

https://twitter.com/TheJusticeDept/status/1457732681815543814?t=YU_D93TTeGmF7qPuK09urw&s=19

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

The fact that so many parents in this country are so angry about having to deal with the fallout of decisions designed to SAVE THEIR CHILDRENS LIVES AND THE LIVES OF EVERYONE AROUND THEIR CHILDREN that they're willing to vote for Nazis just to give a middle finger to the people who SAVED THEIR CHILDREN'S LIVES is not normal, or comprehensible.

People yelled at me all day for daring to say Americans are actually dumb and irrational and let themselves be spoonfed their opinions, then they defend parents willing to punish politicians because their kids had to stay home to avoid a plague, or even just wear masks and take other basic loving safety measures. Have I shown you this article on my facebook feed about how masks damage social skill learning, or this one about how they raise Carbon Dioxide in the bloodstream?! Those are much worse than a virus that's killed millions I'll bet!

Nah

If they cared about children: restaurants would never have open back up, mask would be mandatory in all interior spaces, and schools would have had masks and reasonable NPIs.

In places with masked school / NPIs in school spread is very minor. It didn’t have to be a poo poo show. Basically if kids get it in places doing it right they catch it at home:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cr0y posted:

Do we have any idea what this is about? I didn't see it mentioned. I have put some space in between me and political news for the most part due to mental health concerns so I'm not as dialed in as I used to be.

https://twitter.com/TheJusticeDept/status/1457732681815543814?t=YU_D93TTeGmF7qPuK09urw&s=19

They arrested the Ukrainian guy who released the REvil ransomware. He's being held in Poland for extradition.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Yes

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

The fact that so many parents in this country are so angry about having to deal with the fallout of decisions designed to SAVE THEIR CHILDRENS LIVES AND THE LIVES OF EVERYONE AROUND THEIR CHILDREN that they're willing to vote for Nazis just to give a middle finger to the people who SAVED THEIR CHILDREN'S LIVES is not normal, or comprehensible.

People yelled at me all day for daring to say Americans are actually dumb and irrational and let themselves be spoonfed their opinions, then they defend parents willing to punish politicians because their kids had to stay home to avoid a plague, or even just wear masks and take other basic loving safety measures. Have I shown you this article on my facebook feed about how masks damage social skill learning, or this one about how they raise Carbon Dioxide in the bloodstream?! Those are much worse than a virus that's killed millions I'll bet!

No one yelled at you, it's a web forum. People asked you to make evidence based arguments in D&D. There's a cspam covid thread that would be very receptive to this panic though.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So who are the Good People supposed to vote for?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Someone who's not a Nazi? I'm not sure what your point is

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

mdemone posted:

They arrested the Ukrainian guy who released the REvil ransomware. He's being held in Poland for extradition.

Boo.

How did you know that?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If almost a majority of the country now identifies and supports a set of political beliefs that doesn't recognize elections and wants to kill anyone who isn't white, straight and able bodied, than how do you win elections so that they can't do that?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gumball Gumption posted:

If almost a majority of the country now identifies and supports a set of political beliefs that doesn't recognize elections and wants to kill anyone who isn't white, straight and able bodied, than how do you win elections so that they can't do that?

Where do you get "almost a majority of the country" ?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Froghammer posted:

Someone who's not a Nazi? I'm not sure what your point is

You say this as if it's simple and obvious, and yet most people who consider themselves to be good and not a Nazi voted for the Nazi who wrote the 94 crime bill, eulogized Strom Thurmond, and is currently operating concentration camps.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ok I checked with the New York Times opinion section and it turns out they are all dumb women-hating macho men who are attracted to Donald Trump's raw male energy. So yes they all might as well be Nazis and we don't need to ask niggling questions like "well why did Democrats do so much better with those groups in the past"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zotix posted:

I get that, but I'm more interested in interaction between citizens arrest and stand your ground and whether the defense has an actual chance at winning provided the jury was fair and impartial. Like did the McMichaels have an actual legal right to citizens arrest and then shoot someone if they didn't like having a gun pointed at them.

I'm not interested in if it is morally right or wrong but rather a possible legal breakdown on how the laws interact with each other and whether what they did was legal or not.

It's a law designed to enable vigilantism, in an ex-Confederate state with a long history of lynchings, which was written and passed the same year the Union Army started freeing slaves. Giving white people the legal right to summarily execute black people for alleged crimes was probably exactly what it was intended to do, and certainly matches up with how it's been used over the last century and a half.

Majorian posted:

Yeah, that's unfortunately a function of how much "left-wing policies" have become strongly associated with culture war/social justice issues (which are essential and the left can't afford to back down on one iota, let there be no mistake), largely to the exclusion of economic justice and class struggle. To a lot of voters, "left-wing policies" don't mean things like Medicare expansion; they mean gender-neutral bathrooms and CRT in grammar schools.

Plus, of course, the mainstream media and Democratic establishment have every incentive to blame the Virginia debacle on the left, because, well, you know.

If economic justice policies that directly benefit voters are successfully being passed, but the voters aren't noticing the benefit because they're convinced the left only stands for culture war issues and doesn't care about economic policy, then that would suggest that policy isn't everything and that successfully passing economic policies has not been effective at winning over voters.

If people's perception of policy is getting massively out of tune with actual policy, that might not be something that can be fixed by more policy.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

If economic justice policies that directly benefit voters are successfully being passed, but the voters aren't noticing the benefit because they're convinced the left only stands for culture war issues and doesn't care about economic policy, then that would suggest that policy isn't everything and that successfully passing economic policies has not been effective at winning over voters.

If people's perception of policy is getting massively out of tune with actual policy, that might not be something that can be fixed by more policy.
Well yeah, like I’ve been saying, politicians and candidates need to actually run on these things. McAuliffe failed in part because he didn’t highlight the good things that Dems had done for VA over the past decade. Biden certainly hasn’t been using the bully pulpit effectively to advance his agenda.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

How are u posted:

Where do you get "almost a majority of the country" ?

Good point, I forget how many Americans don't vote. So about a quarter to 1/6th of the country voted for Trump. We're looking at 72 million+ Nazis. I hope they respect the rule of law.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Majorian posted:

Well yeah, like I’ve been saying, politicians and candidates need to actually run on these things. McAuliffe failed in part because he didn’t highlight the good things that Dems had done for VA over the past decade. Biden certainly hasn’t been using the bully pulpit effectively to advance his agenda.

This probably comes from the fact that a lot of dems just automatically assume their position is the correct one and that other people will come around once they see the merits of what they stand for. Which is dumb as all hell but I think that is what is going on.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

You're not wrong, but the problem is when you get a guy who is better at pretending he's not crazy (Youngkin) you can't just run on "he's a Nazi!" or you'll lose.

You can't even really run on "Trump Is a Fascist," it helps to have good policy ideas that you can explain and the other guy loving up in a way he can't explain. The people who think Trump is Cheeto Benito never had to be convinced in the first place.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Yes. Trump is a straight up wannabe dictator who overtly tried to overturn an election and seize control of the government. LOL at people getting offended at calling his active supporters anything other than what they are.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

It's a law designed to enable vigilantism, in an ex-Confederate state with a long history of lynchings, which was written and passed the same year the Union Army started freeing slaves. Giving white people the legal right to summarily execute black people for alleged crimes was probably exactly what it was intended to do, and certainly matches up with how it's been used over the last century and a half.

There is also the fact that the laws mythologize events that never actually happened, were extremely rare or were morally dubious. This, in addition to this idea of fantastical personal heroism.

When the laws actually come into play, unless the situation is really cut and dry (like the video of the guy saying "I am afraid for my life" when he goes to kill his neighbor), they're incredibly ambiguous such that juries can convict or exonerate for basically any reason.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Gumball Gumption posted:

it's not the majority, it's one third who want to do active harm and one third that don't care. the only real way to remove them as a danger would be to remove the cover the chud third have created to make it acceptable for the one third that don't care to follow them
everything the chud third do and say is designed to obfuscate reality, to give cover for their goals, to make them socially acceptable to support

if a chud candidate actually said "i want to eliminate all minorities":
every major media outlet would cover it with a mealy mouthed "candidate reveals controversial stance"
which gives every chud outlet and voter enough cover to alter the conversation further with "so we're being persecuted for controversial stances?? like JESUS???"
now a third of the country give the "ok" sign to a third of the country who rolls their eyes at everyone freaking out about controversial opinions and innocent hand signs and whether or not racism is "violence" or not

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I still think there is an opportunity for Trump to somehow shatter the GOP into a million little pieces right before 24.

Who else is currently growing in the GOPs laboratory of horrors that has ambitions for the nomination?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

i've been paying on these since 2013. FEDERAL student loans, from the dept of education, not a private lender.

Tell me why the gently caress i should vote for the people who restarted these payments when they didn't have to on the basis of "if we don't restart student loan payments then it'll make the economy look weak and undercut the narrative"

dems are a waste, useless fucks

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yes. Trump is a straight up wannabe dictator who overtly tried to overturn an election and seize control of the government. LOL at people getting offended at calling his active supporters anything other than what they are.

If Trumps a dictator, he did a pretty bad job at “seizing control” and overturning the election. If his people are Nazis , then the Democrats are collaborators for not prosecuting.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Cow Bell posted:

Nazi Nazi Nazis!! Anyone who disagrees with me is a nazi!! No -- it can't be that the Democrats are bad at messaging or failing to present an alternative. It's that everyone but me is a member of the American NDSAP.

Do you want to engage any of the numerous people who "yelled at you all day" or would you like to continue shouting about NAZIS to no one in particular?

attempting to restrict the definition of Nazi is a very common tactic of people who would find it very beneficial to not be labeled Nazis. maybe you didn't know that.

regardless, no, i don't think everyone who disagrees with me is a Nazi... but these particular people are.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Good point, I forget how many Americans don't vote. So about a quarter to 1/6th of the country voted for Trump. We're looking at 72 million+ Nazis. I hope they respect the rule of law.

I think there's a big difference between a Trump supporter on 1/5 and one on 1/7. The folks still flying a Trno flag after the sixth are def. fascist but the ones who took their flags down are in a different category.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The same can be said about Dems since they haven’t done anything to stop the march towards fascism. So if voting for trump is a fascist, so does everyone who voted for Biden.

Let’s not forget the concentration camps still exist under Biden.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I don't think people are getting offended at this characterization, or even actually disagreeing with it on its merits, so much as they are arguing that it's not really effective campaign rhetoric.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

cr0y posted:

I still think there is an opportunity for Trump to somehow shatter the GOP into a million little pieces right before 24.

Who else is currently growing in the GOPs laboratory of horrors that has ambitions for the nomination?

DeSantis does but also, dude is relatively young so he can afford to wait if need be.

I don't think the GOP is gonna be doomed tho.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Shammypants posted:

The evidence seems to show that 6 months from now, rising GDP, increasing jobs prospects, and other factors will eventually catch up with the public.

Has there been any time in history in which voter sentiment rose or fell (or when even just economic sentiments did the same) based on the GDP, particularly since it includes, like, the stratospheric cost of U.S. healthcare?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I think there's a big difference between a Trump supporter on 1/5 and one on 1/7. The folks still flying a Trno flag after the sixth are def. fascist but the ones who took their flags down are in a different category.

The difference is that there are people that were at the capital who are getting elected to office. I don't know why anyone is fixated on 1/6 anymore. It convinces nobody of anything they didn't already value.

https://www.businessinsider.com/republicans-january-6-stop-the-steal-rally-elected-public-office-2021-11

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Ok I checked with the New York Times opinion section and it turns out they are all dumb women-hating macho men who are attracted to Donald Trump's raw male energy. So yes they all might as well be Nazis and we don't need to ask niggling questions like "well why did Democrats do so much better with those groups in the past"

Wow yeah I forgot that initial explanation was “machismo”.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Peter Daou Zen posted:

If Trumps a dictator, he did a pretty bad job at “seizing control” and overturning the election. If his people are Nazis , then the Democrats are collaborators for not prosecuting.

Agreed. Anyone actively thwarting any investigation into the coup attempt is definitely a collaborator, and anyone in a position of power and electing not to pursue such an investigation is tacitly collaborating.

Majorian posted:

I don't think people are getting offended at this characterization, or even actually disagreeing with it on its merits, so much as they are arguing that it's not really effective campaign rhetoric.

I think there are both and I was attempting to respond to the former. I don't entirely disagree with the latter but it's super loving depressing to think about that. "Can't tell the truth about what's going on or we will lose" is a recipe for serious anxiety.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

You start out in 2016 by saying, “Nazi, Nazi, Nazi.” By 2024 you can’t say “Nazi”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, Critical Race Theory, Vaccine Mandates, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, liberals get hurt worse than conservatives.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the vaccine thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “Nazi, Nazi.”

Sorry I couldn't help it. I feel like we're living through the inversion of the southern strategy.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Are you trying to pretend 1/6 didn't happen to score points on the dems? If not what's the point of the scare quotes there.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I definitely do "not see" how this conversation is still chugging along

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You start out in 2016 by saying, “Nazi, Nazi, Nazi.” By 2024 you can’t say “Nazi”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, Critical Race Theory, Vaccine Mandates, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, liberals get hurt worse than conservatives.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the vaccine thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “Nazi, Nazi.”

Sorry I couldn't help it. I feel like we're living through the inversion of the southern strategy.

We're just living through the regular southern strategy unfortunately

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Abner Assington posted:

The Democratic Party at large does not in any way cater to "trust fund hipster[s]," dude.

It doesn't cater to anyone, because they aren't changing anything in any significant way but a lot of the stuff I described in that post is perceived as a political problem thanks to the way the GOP have captured the frustration of these people and converted it to politics of spite and hate.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

:lol: Yeah, it would be a very different conversation if the Dems had a left-of-center version of Atwater. Alas, the Dem consultant industry is what it is: sinecure jobs for the failsons and faildaughters of those in power.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

socialsecurity posted:

Are you trying to pretend 1/6 didn't happen to score points on the dems? If not what's the point of the scare quotes there.

1/6 happened but to pretend like it was a coup or attempted coup is offensive to you know, people who suffered through real coups in other countries. Actual fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Yes. You do know that there were some jewish people, gay people, etc. that were members of the actual Nazi party? They are called "useful idiots" because they give cover to hate groups. They usually get killed off early on.

It's kind of like how in Brazil every poltician that supports a dictator's coup is usually in jail or dead a year after the coup happens.