Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

if those minority neighborhoods didn’t want a freeway interchange built through them they should have attended the community commentary meetings at city hall (30 miles from said community Monday and Wednesday (only) 3pm to 4pm attendance limited to ten individuals speaking time limited to one minute per individual)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

actionjackson posted:

my state's DOT is having sessions on the re-thinking I-94, and I was laughing pretty hard at "English with Karen translation" because I did not know Karen was a language in SE Asia

presenter: we will provide safe transporation options for all
karen translator: THEY'RE GONNA BLOW UP UR FREEDOM TRUCK

It's kind of funny that they resettled a bunch of them in Minnesota of all places. Not the climate they're used to!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lmao

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's kind of funny that they resettled a bunch of them in Minnesota of all places. Not the climate they're used to!

yeah, same with our communities from Somalia, Eritrea, Ethiopia, and our Hmong population. Pretty sure it had to do with some religious organization helping bring them over as refugees. I assume many of the Somali's came over in the 90s when the government collapsed

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Mr. Sharps posted:

if those minority neighborhoods didn’t want a freeway interchange built through them they should have attended the community commentary meetings at city hall (30 miles from said community Monday and Wednesday (only) 3pm to 4pm attendance limited to ten individuals speaking time limited to one minute per individual)
Ehhh, "neighborhood meetings" on development are pretty trash. Though they were set up in response to the loving egregious bullshit that minority communities were subjected to as highways were pushed to intentionally destroy their neighborhoods, what they are today is an even more direly undemocratic veto point where anyone who hates change (especially well-off white Boomer homeowners) will come out to oppose sidewalk improvements, bike lanes, removal of street parking, and construction of new homes.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ehhh, "neighborhood meetings" on development are pretty trash. Though they were set up in response to the loving egregious bullshit that minority communities were subjected to as highways were pushed to intentionally destroy their neighborhoods, what they are today is an even more direly undemocratic veto point where anyone who hates change (especially well-off white Boomer homeowners) will come out to oppose sidewalk improvements, bike lanes, removal of street parking, and construction of new homes.

I think you agree with the poster you're quoting.

I watched PDX's richest suburb city council vote down an exploratory survey for a pedestrian bridge that would already be paid for because they were worried about the poors invading their neighborhood. The bridge itself would have been so essential in connecting the city together but they strangled it in the cradle. It seems the only people the city council really listened to were the ones who owned riverfront property

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 03:04 on Nov 9, 2021

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

ArmZ posted:

car makers determined to make cars the worst possible thing

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nice writeup. Though I'll say that blowing-up a pipeline needs to be part of a larger goal, otherwise it will be rebuilt very rapidly and the government will easily aborb the economic impact while down-playing the social call for action that such an event would trigger.

quote:

Perhaps the “most extensive property destruction” occurred a generation ago in Nigeria: activists relentlessly resisted the oil companies ravaging the area, “moving swiftly on boats through the creeks and swamps to blow up pipelines, strike vessels, overpower offshore platforms, assault offices, kidnap oil employees.” The Nigerian resistance nearly caused Shell and Exxon to pull out of the region.

Note that this is the most extensive campaign or targetted violence, and the result was "nearly" causing global capitalism to temporarily no doubt, retreat from the region. But ultimately it accomplished nothing.

Also:
(It is worth noting that, other than quoting a journal article from 2005 — “Pipelines are very easily sabotaged. A simple explosive device can put a critical section of pipeline out of operation for weeks” — Malm doesn’t actually teach readers how to blow up a pipeline.)
Confirmed, Malm is a lib.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 03:40 on Nov 9, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

put it on the execs in minecraft instead

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
maybe stop talking about things you're not supposed to talk about

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

redirect my posting energies? never

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

Toronto is car-infested as hell. The subways and streetcars are nice but you'll be dodging cars left and right if you go out in the city

hmm could be. I visited in 2007 and had a good time without a car, but my lasting memories are the utter absence of any overweight people and the easiest, enjoyable conversations I could have with literally anyone. Also a Whopper cost $9 at the time

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

lil poopendorfer posted:

hmm could be. I visited in 2007 and had a good time without a car, but my lasting memories are the utter absence of any overweight people and the easiest, enjoyable conversations I could have with literally anyone. Also a Whopper cost $9 at the time

toronto is an incredibly aloof place and canadians in general hate talking to strangers, making friends and a social circle after moving there is not that easy. the downtown core is fine for being car free but rents and property prices have gone out of control so you can't afford to live there. anywhere outside the core is car blighted hell.

probably the only place left where you can get a decent car free life but affordable in canada is montreal, but i think they're starting to run into affordability issues as well. plus the winters are awful

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

vyelkin posted:

i can understand the impulse, one of the few things that pedestrians can do to make themselves a tiny bit safer in car hellworld is make eye contact with drivers and so i get the urge to give autonomous cars some way to visibly acknowledge the existence of pedestrians, but otoh just ban cars and the problem would be solved much more comprehensively

in countries with really wild city traffic making eye contact w a driver indicates you’re aware and letting them pass, you’ve got to just go without acting like you know the car is there and hope they stop

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

has anyone said that leaf blowers are the cars of landscaping

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

cool av posted:

in countries with really wild city traffic making eye contact w a driver indicates you’re aware and letting them pass, you’ve got to just go without acting like you know the car is there and hope they stop
Yeah, I've found that the majority of drivers will use your moment's hesitation as you vainly search for eye contact as encouragement to just drive through. Given that at least a quarter of the cars on the road have illegally tinted windows, anyways, "making eye contact" is a fool's errand. The best thing you can do is proactively seize your right of way by moving into the intersection while keeping a very attentive eye open and being ready to respond to a poo poo bag who intends to murder you. The more people that do it, the more drivers are trained out of thinking they own our streets.

I once stopped literally five loving minutes for the opposite direction of traffic to do what they were legally and morally obligated to do and stop for a mother with a baby carriage clearly trying to cross at a crosswalk on a busy arterial in a thoroughly residential neighborhood. The dozens of drivers that made the choice to turn a blind eye very much pushed me over the edge from "we should improve things for pedestrians, cyclists, and buses" to "gently caress DRIVERS, WAR ON CARS, BABY!"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

has anyone said that leaf blowers are the cars of landscaping

recently retired men like nothing more than running a leaf blower for an hour straight, multiple times a week. they then move onto the powered hedge trimmer, before using the leaf blower again to tidy up the cuttings

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

*fumbles with tangled extension cord for 2 minutes*

this is loving ridiculous how can i be expected to manicure the ecological desert in front of my house like this? someone get me a two-stroke

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If they can maintain the entirety of Angkor Wat with brooms, you can probably manage your lawn with one.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ban cars
https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvnxmz/who-is-trying-to-save-parking-structure-3-from-becoming-affordable-housing

quote:

The city has commissioned two studies—one in 2009 and another in 2020—that concluded Parking Structure 3 is no longer needed. According to the more recent study, even at the busiest of busy times for Santa Monica, parking is still in excess capacity of approximately 2,000 spaces spread out across the various lots. That’s about six Parking Structure 3’s worth of excess parking. This general finding that downtown Santa Monica has way too much parking has been supported by an independent analysis using the city’s publicly-available parking data. 

Just blow it up already

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If they can maintain the entirety of Angkor Wat with brooms, you can probably manage your lawn with one.

whatever happened to rakes anyway, isn't the whole point of those to be a leaf broom

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
rake? what is this a poker game? *primes carb 30x and fires up 2 stroke to choke out the neighborhood*

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

the bitcoin of weed posted:

whatever happened to rakes anyway, isn't the whole point of those to be a leaf broom

Blower people will go to great lengths to justify why rakes don't work and why they need their giant gas-blasting hog. It's just another symptom of consumerism and an unhealthy relationship with the environment.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i just let the leaves fall where they may in my lawn, who cares,its just leaves

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

lobster shirt posted:

the invisible hand of the tree market

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

they have electric leaf blowers now. e-blowers you might say.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

SKULL.GIF posted:

Toronto is car-infested as hell. The subways and streetcars are nice but you'll be dodging cars left and right if you go out in the city

The streetcars are also constantly hampered by the fact that on-street parking is basically allowed everywhere. When there was a track issue and they sent out busses instead of streetcars, it actually improved my commute time.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I live out in the country, my property is surrounded by state forest with no visible neighbors (two across the street) 3 out of 4 seasons.

I don't get what possesses either of them to have moved to the forest to begin with because they go absolute nuts with the leaf blowing and then burning them all.

Why even move into literally the forest if you don't have any respect for nature and the natural composition cycles etc

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The streetcars are also constantly hampered by the fact that on-street parking is basically allowed everywhere. When there was a track issue and they sent out busses instead of streetcars, it actually improved my commute time.

Streetcars are dumb af unless they have dedicated row for almost their entire run. Otherwise just get buses, they can drive around cars!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ArmZ posted:

they have electric leaf blowers now. e-blowers you might say.

"too expensive, not powerful enough, can't hold enough charge boohoohoo"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

500excf type r posted:

I live out in the country, my property is surrounded by state forest with no visible neighbors (two across the street) 3 out of 4 seasons.

I don't get what possesses either of them to have moved to the forest to begin with because they go absolute nuts with the leaf blowing and then burning them all.

Why even move into literally the forest if you don't have any respect for nature and the natural composition cycles etc

no respect. only subdue.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

lobster shirt posted:

It's better for your land, destroying/disposing of leaves is just another way people break the natural cycles of the earth for stupid pleasures

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Mayor Dave posted:

It's better for your land, destroying/disposing of leaves is just another way people break the natural cycles of the earth for stupid pleasures

it is very funny (in a bad way) that people will bag and throw away grass clippings and rake leaves out of their lawn and then also spend money on fertilizer. like bro its right there!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

why hasn't this been posted here yet???

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1458134940218966016

The Waller County district attorney’s office said in a statement that a teenager who drove his vehicle into bicyclists training for a triathlon, hitting all six riders and sending four to the hospital, has been charged with six counts of felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon — one charge for each cyclist hit on Sept. 25. The teen, who has yet to be publicly identified, was not charged or cited by police after the incident, despite accounts from victims and witnesses that he deliberately antagonized the riders.

That course of action by the police set off a backlash from critics and bike safety advocates, who described the crash as “egregious.” Many in Waller County pointed to the case of Victor Tome, who killed two riders in 2017 when he intentionally plowed into a small group of them. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole this year after he was convicted of capital murder.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

mila kunis posted:

toronto is an incredibly aloof place and canadians in general hate talking to strangers, making friends and a social circle after moving there is not that easy. the downtown core is fine for being car free but rents and property prices have gone out of control so you can't afford to live there. anywhere outside the core is car blighted hell.

probably the only place left where you can get a decent car free life but affordable in canada is montreal, but i think they're starting to run into affordability issues as well. plus the winters are awful

This isn't wrong but in my experience Toronto is one of the better North American cities in terms of allowing you to maybe actually live car-free. I'm sure there are better places on this auto-addled continent, but don't think there are that many. Totally correct about the core being unaffordable. The outer-ring+exurbs are also the worst kind of car-centered development, with the associated political dispositions that thrive in car-centered developments.

Of course this is just getting back to the main complaint that cars ruined every city built after they became popular and many pre-existing ones too.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Nocturtle posted:

Of course this is just getting back to the main complaint that cars ruined every city built after they became popular and many pre-existing ones too.

city fatally struck by vehicle

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

lobster shirt posted:

it is very funny (in a bad way) that people will bag and throw away grass clippings and rake leaves out of their lawn and then also spend money on fertilizer. like bro its right there!

I actually had to break my partner of this over the past few years. Always leafblowing, bagging, and raking in the fall, mower has (had lol) a bagger, then also spend lols of dollars every fall on seed and fertilizer like what the gently caress. She has such a boomer brain from her father that it is some times impossible though she has gotten much much better about it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
well folks u may remembver me talking about my bootleg diy ebike that would go 30 mph strapped on to a 30 year old walmart bike project. that was pretty cool. it finally arrived from china and i got to assembling it. i got to the brakes and the old brake lines were incompatible with the modern brakes from the ebike kit so the motor cutoff worked, seems important. well i had to order that poo poo and it was getting dark and cold so i chained it up where it has been for the last uh year or something unmolested. u can c where this story is going. long story short someone broke my chain and stoled it. it had the motor front wheel bolted on, and i had stripped the shifters, brake levers, brake lines, chains, and grips. anyways now the that the hub motor is gone i think i have to rebuy the whole kit unless i find the motor that they jacked for sale on fb marketplace or maybe another hub motor that someone else jacked.

pretty annoying. gone in under 48 hours of putting the hub motor on it. lasted over a year in its old form. i didnt clean it or nothin. it was filthy and covered in spiders. i think someone saw me tinkering with it in my courtyard and came back to jack it. so dumb. sooo dumb. maybe renters ins can cover. idk

i drove around hunting for it and saw one billion bike parts in many "encampments" (proto shanty towns due to the collapse of this great empire) around the city. sux. leave these bikes alone ppl. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
sum1 stole my bike so im becoming a reactionary chud. thats life.