Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

big dong wanter posted:

shockingly wholesome, the only jooooop i see around here is very angery and has all sort of alt right bullshit stickers on it (kekistan flag, punisher skulls and a maga windscreen sticker) hes started parking it exclusively in areas with cctv which has made my life much less fun.

I try to balance out the macho idiocy of jeep culture with festive decorations on my own jeep this time of year (3M double-sided tape is amazing):

Jeeps are about having fun, and deathwobble

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Why did you write that twice?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

shy boy from chess club posted:

Me too, it'll help me believe that there is hope things will keep getting better for everyone.

E: but if not they can gently caress off real hard and it's their loss

Good attitude. You're you, and if they can't handle it it's their problem, not yours.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I try to balance out the macho idiocy of jeep culture with festive decorations on my own jeep this time of year (3M double-sided tape is amazing):

If it shakes more than three times you are playing with it

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

bolind posted:

I paid the second USD1000 instalment on my new coffee grinder, and my bank did the same thing. Can't really blame them.

Blimey. I love coffee too, but which moon magic grinder did you get?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

meltie posted:

One of these?

(picture from here: https://whatsmarydoing.com/eataly-nycs-italian-food-market/)

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

And here I was thinking my Baratza virtuoso was an extravagant purchase when we were forced into wfh

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Back when I was hard into coffee (including roasting my beans) My Mazzer was something like $1500+ 15-20 years ago, so it's certainly possible.

I now use 2lbs for $15 beans from the grocery store and throw it my superauto that does everything including foam milk with the press of a button. And I don't miss it.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

slidebite posted:

Back when I was hard into coffee (including roasting my beans) My Mazzer was something like $1500+ 15-20 years ago, so it's certainly possible.

I now use 2lbs for $15 beans from the grocery store and throw it my superauto that does everything including foam milk with the press of a button. And I don't miss it.

I used to have a Mazzer Mini, but it retained so much that I never really enjoyed dialling in with it to just have 1–2 cups per day.

I've just bought a Sage grinder as i've finally got around to recommissioning my coffee stuff :dance:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

meltie posted:

Option-O Lagom P64 in black with SSP burrs.

It's pretty awesome and pretty dumb, I'll admit, but I enjoy the tinkering and it's a very nice piece of kit.

I back-of-the-napkin'ed the numbers on my old Mazzer, which set me back like 8-900 bucks when new, and it had done something like 5+ that monetary amount in coffee beans in its lifetime.

bolind fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 9, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I put owning my own espresso machine in the same mental category as having my own boat, swimming pool, or saltwater fishtank i.e. the 'would be sweet but only if I were rich enough to pay someone else to clean and maintain it' category. Because ain't nobody got time for that.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

bolind posted:

Option-O Lagom P64 in black with SSP burrs.

It's pretty awesome and pretty dumb, I'll admit, but I enjoy the tinkering and it's a very nice piece of kit.

I back-of-the-napkin'ed the numbers on my old Mazzer, which set me back like 8-900 bucks when new, and it had done something like 5+ that monetary amount in coffee beans in it's lifetime.

Ooo, that's a bit special. Does it live up to expectations?

I used to be super into it, then some great cafés opened up nearby which were better than me and more convenient so I just went there instead. They've closed down or changed hands post-lockdown and they're not as good as they were, so i'm bringing the espresso machine out of storage.

This is the coffee corner. It's the fairly typical setup; a new Sage Pro, and a Gaggia Classic with Rancillo steam wand.

Just today i've dialled the Gaggia down to 6.5bar of pressure, as per James Hoffman's recent recommendation (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1LUkfpTtu0)

I'd previously reset it to a standard 9bar but it was far too quick for almost anything me or my barista were able to grind for it. Here's hoping on the drop to 6.5.

meltie fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 9, 2021

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

Amen. I'm a Saeco fanboy. When my current one breaks, I don't know what I'm going to do. The new ones won't work for me, and the quality has gone to poo poo since Philips bought them out.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
I rinse a dirty raccoon into a mug for my coffee.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

tinned owl posted:

I rinse a dirty raccoon into a mug for my coffee.

I think I have seen your videos on youtube, that is a lot of hotdogs you feed those raccoons every night.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Imagined posted:

I put owning my own espresso machine in the same mental category as having my own boat, swimming pool, or saltwater fishtank i.e. the 'would be sweet but only if I were rich enough to pay someone else to clean and maintain it' category. Because ain't nobody got time for that.

I have a cheap poo poo little one where I can make an espresso quickly. It is adequate and meets my need for rapid caffeine delivery without creating a bunch of lovely plastic waste.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Imagined posted:

I don’t think my saeco super auto has ever let me down. 5 years old and it was a refurb when I bought it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Maybe it just looks complicated. Back before I drank coffee my wife had a hand-me-down espresso machine and all I remember about it was that cleaning it seemed to involve tearing down, cleaning and reassembling about 20 different parts. And all to make a shot glass worth of coffee.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I still don't understand coffee.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021

kastein posted:

How do you feel about raccoons?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

kastein posted:

Well, first you get some roasted beans, which aren't actually beans, but are actually roasted...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

sharkytm posted:

Amen. I'm a Saeco fanboy. When my current one breaks, I don't know what I'm going to do. The new ones won't work for me, and the quality has gone to poo poo since Philips bought them out.
I'm pretty happy with my Miele CM6150.

Only thing that bothered me at first is I like my coffee super hot, and it just didn't brew it hot enough for me. But now I just put the whole drink in the microwave for 1min after I brew my double late' and its perfect.

Imagined posted:

I get it, but it's not bad. With a superauto you empty the pucks and top it off with water every couple days, run cleaner/descaler something like once every couple months. It's not a big deal in practice. Even when I was super hardcore in it, it's not a big deal at all if you get in the routine.

No doubt its a luxury, but a decent super auto can be found for ~$1K and it lasts for years. If you otherwise are paying for coffee it has a super fast ROI. I have made *thousands* of drinks with mine and it's never let me down. Literally 6 per day, between Mrs. Slidebite and myself since something like 2018.

If you don't drink espresso based drinks at all and are perfectly happy with basic drip/pre-ground maxwell house or Folgers, it's a total waste of money which is better spent on raccoons or something.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Oh I definitely grind my own beans and have various fancy ways of making coffee from a nice drip machine to pour over to an aeropress and clever dripper.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

kastein posted:

How can you enjoy all that jeep suffering but not like bitter bean juice?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yeah I'm always a little embarrassed when I mention it to serious coffee nerds but to everyone else I love my superautomatic. I've had it since July 2016, so about 2000 days, and conservatively two cups (four shots) a day, one for me and one for my wife. drat! Press button, get espresso. This week I've been steaming oatmilk, I somehow forgot how quick it is to do. I was making Americanos for the last couple months so I had a long hot drink. So nice to be able to grab a late night shot if we're going out and need a boost.

It was only about $650 and I expected it to last a couple years, so this is great.

I've been watching Morgan Drinks Coffee on YouTube and I kind of want to get some coffee nerd poo poo and make espresso manually, but I probably will continue to focus on car stuff.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

kastein posted:

Same - It always comes as a shock to most people that my wife and I don't drink it at all. We have a Keurig that we got for free - occasionally we'll use it for hot chocolate or some fancy cup that I grab from whatever office I'm working at... or when we have guests we force them to use a 1930s Streamline moderne percolator, because I keep it gangster.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I've resisted going down the rabbit hole any farther than my cheapo burr grinder and french press.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I used to have an espresso machine but stopped using it when I had a kid cause I didn't want to wake her in the mornings. it got mildew or something growing in it from sitting for so long I tossed it and just do pour over now if I make coffee.

usually though I have caffeine pills which are great and cheap

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
So, I reserved a mid-size SUV, specifically a Rav4 for my vacation. They were out of Toyotas, so I was going to get a CX-5 instead and I was stoked about the change. But then, through a series of events that I don't fully understand, I'm now driving a BMW X3 for the price of the Rav4
:shrug:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

kastein posted:

You do when you work IT

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You Am I posted:

You do when you work IT

I work in an IT adjacent area and I'm more energy drink focused but that's mainly due to coffee smelling nicer than it tastes to me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

User Error posted:

I've resisted going down the rabbit hole any farther than my cheapo burr grinder and french press.

big same.
I already spent a small fortune on audio equipment and a brand new f150 worth of dollars on keyboards. I do NOT need another "hobby".

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

an engineer that doesn't coffee?

Jeeps must be a hell of a drug

I'll crack this planet in half without coffee. I'm half Turkish. There is no not-drinking-coffee.
Had a Breville espresso machine. I sold it in moving after having it for several years. I'm at the point where I want it hot and ready to go when I crawl out of unconsciousness. I have no patience to faff around with anything first thing in the morning.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

big same.
I already spent a small fortune on audio equipment and a brand new f150 worth of dollars on keyboards. I do NOT need another "hobby".

Thirding. I've drank the fancy-pants coffee nerd stuff and it's good and all, but I still prefer a good french press. I've got an electric stainless-steel burr grinder and kettle that heats the water to 190 and would take my coffee over most others, especially here in Portland with our fabulous water. I do kinda want to go down the route of roasting my own beans tho...

Thanks to your comment, I kinda want to devolve this thread into some audio gear discussion! I've tallied up what I've spent (on mostly used gear!) and you can definitely buy a new car for that amount. Consider MSRP and adjusting for inflation, or buying the modern version of everything (McIntosh components and Quad ESLs!) and you're into nice new car territory.

Keyboards... I'm obsessive about keyboards but my forays into mechanical keyboards don't go far*. Ended up not being a huge fan of the travel of most mechanicals so I ended up with an Apple scissor keyboard on my personal setup and an MS Natural Sculpt on my work setup.

Shall we discuss trackballs? I've converted several people and am very proud of myself :)

*I want to try the Topre Realforce with variable actuation force but am too scared to spend that much on a keyboard. It's obscene.

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 9, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Thirding. I've drank the fancy-pants coffee nerd stuff and it's good and all, but I still prefer a good french press. I've got an electric stainless-steel burr grinder and kettle that heats the water to 190 and would take my coffee over most others, especially here in Portland with our fabulous water. I do kinda want to go down the route of roasting my own beans tho...

Thanks to your comment, I kinda want to devolve this thread into some audio gear discussion! I've tallied up what I've spent (on mostly used gear!) and you can definitely buy a new car for that amount. Consider MSRP and adjusting for inflation, or buying the modern version of everything (McIntosh components and Quad ESLs!) and you're into nice new car territory.

Keyboards... I'm obsessive about keyboards but my forays into mechanical keyboards don't go far*. Ended up not being a huge fan of the travel of most mechanicals so I ended up with an Apple scissor keyboard on my personal setup and an MS Natural Sculpt on my work setup.

Shall we discuss trackballs? I've converted several people and am very proud of myself :)

*I want to try the Topre Realforce with variable actuation force but am too scared to spend that much on a keyboard. It's obscene.

by travel do you mean overall stroke length to bottom out or the amount of travel to switch actuation?

Because I have some Lightwave switches that will actuate if you breathe on them too hard. .4mm of travel to actuation.
Also I think Cherry Speed Silver switches actuate up pretty high as well.

Trackballs are cool, especially when they're IN keyboards.

but yeah RE: coffee. I like the darkest over roasted oily mud I can get, with a couple spoonfulls of raw sugar, or molassas, or sorghum, so I am just not built for the "finer coffees" out there. Everything "fancy" just tastes like piss with different subnotes.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 9, 2021

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

by travel do you mean overall stroke length to bottom out or the amount of travel to switch actuation?

Because I have some Lightwave switches that will actuate if you breathe on them too hard. .4mm of travel to actuation.
Also I think Cherry Speed Silver switches actuate up pretty high as well.

Trackballs are cool, especially when they're IN keyboards.

but yeah RE: coffee. I like the darkest over roasted oily mud I can get, with a couple spoonfulls of raw sugar, or molassas, or sorghum, so I am just not built for the "finer coffees" out there. Everything "fancy" just tastes like piss with different subnotes.

It's the overall stroke length to physical feedback, I think. I've played with o-rings (1 and 2 layers) and different keycaps and a couple different boards with different switches.

re: Coffee, did you know that the lighter roasts have more caffeine? I love me a light roast, french pressed, black and no sugar.

Now, tell me about your audio gear. That's what I'm really here for. I'll show you mine if you show me yours...

drat I'm bored today, work is kinda sucking.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
A water main broke down the street on Sunday morning. My wife was in the kitchen when the faucet stopped working. "Did you forget to pay the water bill?"

It took basically all day for the utility company to tear up some poor neighbor's entire driveway to fix the broken main. I appreciate the effort. It sucks being in a house without a toilet that works all the way. No shower and no ability to wash dishes also put a cramp in our style.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You Am I posted:

You do when you work IT

I'm an engineer. I don't drink coffee, never have. No tea or energy drinks either. I figure if I'm going to do unhealthy things it should be things I enjoy.

As they say, my body may be a temple but it's the kind they just let monkeys run around in and poo poo everywhere.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

kastein posted:

I'm an engineer. I don't drink coffee, never have. No tea or energy drinks either. I figure if I'm going to do unhealthy things it should be things I enjoy.

:hfive: I'm a driller, also no coffee and people are all like "what the poo poo? A driller that doesn't drink coffee"??!?!?!

I'm high on life. And a bunch of other poo poo thats not life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If I consume even a moderate amount of caffeine I will have to consume at least as much approximately 22 hours later or I will, usually, get a headache. This rapidly becomes unsustainable so I just don't caffeine.

It limits what I can drink a bit but since I don't have a caffeine habit/addiction I don't find myself needing caffeine in order to function.

Before I figured out my caffeine issues I liked full strength homemade cold brew. I sometimes still make it with decaff but decaff is just less caffeine not no caffeine so I generally don't bother.