Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

sounds a lot like IMF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

dead gay comedy forums posted:

China: hey, I build you rail, roads, ports and an airport, plus we help you out with lots of credit straight to your account, no questions asked, for a symbolic fee. All we ask back is for us to trade, alright?

USA: so you want some money heh I got some heh heh look I need you to undo all these bullshit regulations about foreign financial movements, also my guys need to not pay taxes at all, k? we want 50% of your ports privatized, every airport ought to have a 20% private capital participation minimum. also we wanna an installation fee for those companies, consider it your entry price for our unbelievable yaaaas good loans, heh. btw they're so good so good that you gotta take a primary one from us with these spectacular interest rates, you just have to, heheheh. then you take another one from the IMF, because you see, the third tranche part is going to come from them. The second part is from this super-duper great private consortium of interests we are assembling just. for. you to make your jungleshit country ahem picturesque tropical wonder awesomely developed, POWERED BY AMERICA. after three years of proper payment and continuous demonstrations of goodwill by your part, such as by offering us really cheap privatization deals, we will then give 30% of the primarily negotiated value in your national account over two years, with interest discounted! isn't this the BEST. loving. DEAL. EVER?!?!?!?!

someone post that greek guy explaining to a karen why the belt and road is literally not a debt trap

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

KomradeX posted:

This song is rad as gently caress, but I always felt that American claims of Soviet pilots in North Vietnam to be cope cause they couldn't believe 1) they lost and 2) non white people beat them

There is, was and likely always will be zero evidence that Soviet pilots ever flew combat missions over Vietnam.

So I mean it could have happened maybe but what's much more likely is that the Soviets simply trained the Vietnamese pilots.

It's pure racism in other words. There's no reason why Vietnamese people if properly trained cannot be as effective pilots as anyone else.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Project for a New Infrastructure Century

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

A friend sounded really angry about how you dont own land in china, since you lease it for like 80 year stints or whatever and Im like wtf do you care my dude. How long do you expect to live. Even if you lease it at 20 do you expect to live till you are over a hundred? You got diabetes, you smoke a pack a day and are overweight.

For Americans property is literally the only wealth you can theoretically accumulate at this point. Seeing a country limit that is, to them, cutting them off from the last bit of intergenerational wealth they could ever hope to see.

drat bro you're an ik now grats

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Every single project will pass through incompetent American private contractors with the worst cost efficiency on Earth. Practically nothing of value will be created but this will be a great opportunity for legislators to invest in those companies and get lobbying donations from them.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Every single project will pass through incompetent American private contractors with the worst cost efficiency on Earth. Practically nothing of value will be created but this will be a great opportunity for legislators to invest in those companies and get lobbying donations from them.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

John Charity Spring posted:

looking forward to the Knotted String And Path initiative

the pool and chain initiative

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Also im sure that like 4/5 of the projects they target will be in countries that have natural resources that we need and we'll force to privatize like a 75/25 stake in our benefit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

it's extremely cool how the american solution to the everpresent suppurating threat of endemic corruption was simply to systematize and legalize grifting

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The us is like that old ex con character. He knows he's gonna die if he doesn't get his poo poo together but he just can't stop himself from trying to get over on absolutely everybody. This initiative absolutely began life as "China is going to be the only relevant superpower in 30 years if we don't come up with a competing proposal and STOP TRYING TO RIP EVERYBODY OFF" and this is where it ended up

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
maybe they can just stay out of the real world and develop further supporting infrastructure for the crypto cockandballs chain

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Feldegast42 posted:

Project Grifts for a New Infrastructure Century

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

Agrajag posted:

someone post that greek guy explaining to a karen why the belt and road is literally not a debt trap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBgbYQ5QAM0

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

The us is like that old ex con character. He knows he's gonna die if he doesn't get his poo poo together but he just can't stop himself from trying to get over on absolutely everybody. This initiative absolutely began life as "China is going to be the only relevant superpower in 30 years if we don't come up with a competing proposal and STOP TRYING TO RIP EVERYBODY OFF" and this is where it ended up

even the nyt is admitting china is owning the usa on covid

https://twitter.com/markamesexiled/status/1457849734765350914?s=21

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

drat, look at all those living children

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

BUT AT WHAT COST?!

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

re-watching this and noticing the comment on Ethiopia. How much of that belt and road from china have to do with the turmoil out there?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

ughhhh posted:

re-watching this and noticing the comment on Ethiopia. How much of that belt and road from china have to do with the turmoil out there?

lol yea i immediately jumped to cia bullshit when i heard about it.

iirc, ethiopia is a place that china's investments have really helped to turn around.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

ughhhh posted:

nothing at all. The history behind this conflict predates the belt and road by decades

PawParole has issued a correction as of 03:39 on Nov 9, 2021

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Any attempt to update America's failing infrastructure will be sluggish with the money going elsewhere and the next Republican voted into Presidency will cut all of it lmao

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

crepeface posted:

lol at "Tracked, monitored & judged."

Baizous are so blind they can't see far worse things they project happening right in front of them

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Look I'm just gonna say it, the weirdly oversized QR codes are really adorable.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If it was me I woulda just attached an index card to their wrist or something, but this was a superior solution.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

China: hey, I build you rail, roads, ports and an airport, plus we help you out with lots of credit straight to your account, no questions asked, for a symbolic fee. All we ask back is for us to trade, alright?

USA: so you want some money heh I got some heh heh look I need you to undo all these bullshit regulations about foreign financial movements, also my guys need to not pay taxes at all, k? we want 50% of your ports privatized, every airport ought to have a 20% private capital participation minimum. also we wanna an installation fee for those companies, consider it your entry price for our unbelievable yaaaas good loans, heh. btw they're so good so good that you gotta take a primary one from us with these spectacular interest rates, you just have to, heheheh. then you take another one from the IMF, because you see, the third tranche part is going to come from them. The second part is from this super-duper great private consortium of interests we are assembling just. for. you to make your jungleshit country ahem picturesque tropical wonder awesomely developed, POWERED BY AMERICA. after three years of proper payment and continuous demonstrations of goodwill by your part, such as by offering us really cheap privatization deals, we will then give 30% of the primarily negotiated value in your national account over two years, with interest discounted! isn't this the BEST. loving. DEAL. EVER?!?!?!?!

lmao this is exactly it, isn't it

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Let's be clear, China's motivations re: foreign development and investment are very unlikely to be altruistic.

That they are better than the US's current offer is obvious, though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Me buying bread from a store isn't altruistic either

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

China will be brought to its knees

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Atopian posted:

Let's be clear, China's motivations re: foreign development and investment are very unlikely to be altruistic.

That they are better than the US's current offer is obvious, though.

you'd think a bunch of neolibs would be big fans of competition in the market for international finance

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
This is a weird question but like, is china in a labor crunch? If offering capital loans at basically 0 interest is a good deal for them, that'd imply that there's not better uses for the capital within china. Or maybe it's a soft power thing, I'm real dumb.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nonsense posted:

China will grow larger

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Nonsense posted:

much like the terminator before he gets up and punches a hole in bill paxton

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i also love the SUCC (shanghai urban construction college)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-58QEOkvTv8

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

This is a weird question but like, is china in a labor crunch? If offering capital loans at basically 0 interest is a good deal for them, that'd imply that there's not better uses for the capital within china. Or maybe it's a soft power thing, I'm real dumb.

China earns goodwill and gets to trade as a primary partner with places that didn't have the infrastructure to exploit their riches. Lots of places in Africa and Asia (and South America too thinking of it) have tremendous resource reserves unexplored because the infrastructure necessary to make them available require massive levels of aggregate investment. This is where one of the biggest ironies of capitalism lie: it would certainly be a productive and profitable enterprise, but in doing so would require doing a level of general development that is contradictory to imperial exploitation.

The Chinese, having lived with that in their recent historical memory (and being Marxists), understand that putting their capital to that benefit has an actual greater general gain than going for a straightforward one-sided exploitative deal. Opening new sources and avenues of important resources into international trade means establishing redundancies for economic supply, besides giving much bigger problems for CIA shenanigans. Bauxite supply is going down? Oh dear, that might be troublesome. Guinea gets couped and Australia is hostile to China? No problem, says the CPC, Kazakhstan has a good enough reserve of it, Cameroon and other West African states too, Jamaica has a good supply... While the usual order of things for the liberal countries in the cold war was to must have the largest, biggest supplier country, what must make the BRI so incredibly maddening to the USA government is that the CPC simply goes "oh well" and moves on to the next interested party.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

:hmmyes:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

30.5 Days posted:

As well as other replies to this, note that China is currently in a mission to reduce the effects of pollution on their population.
A lot of extractive and initial-processing activity is unavoidably polluting.
So, despite having the capability, labour, and demand to do a lot of it in-country, there is the overall desire to move parts of it elsewhere if possible / advantageous.

Yes this is what the west did to China for many years why do you ask.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

please PLEASE ignore the IMF and the economic hitmen we destroyed half the globe with over the last 50 years

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

how many layers or irony are you on?