Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lost Time posted:

Related to emissions talk and dick measuring

https://twitter.com/jasonhickel/status/1457647344292352009

tldr; shut the gently caress up, America. Lol

Wow, those rich Americans must be extremely smart!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

Wow, those rich Americans must be extremely smart!

Well now else are they going to save us from the climate apocalypse if they are not smart.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Chile’s Atacama, the driest desert in the world, has become a dumping ground for Clothing.

Approximately 39,000 tonnes of discard clothing, mostly synthetic fibers, are now being dumped in the Atacama annually.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

lmao garbage deserts, loving knew post apocalypse art was too cheerful

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
lmao

"'Stay angry' - Obama urges youth to push leaders on climate"

Sit down, oil man

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Rime posted:

Chile’s Atacama, the driest desert in the world, has become a dumping ground for Clothing.

Approximately 39,000 tonnes of discard clothing, mostly synthetic fibers, are now being dumped in the Atacama annually.

You cannot touch my planet without destroying something precious. Even her deserts are abundant. There were birds here, who she blessed with chest feathers absorbent enough to carry water for miles to their children. Bullfrogs, who slept for years in dried out riverbeds... then dug their way to the surface when the rains came. Now... there is only piles of Classiques Entier. Endless polyester... lmao

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hubbert posted:

I hate to tell you this, but the PRC is going to be the leading economic and energy power during the 21st century decline.

who cares we're all hosed

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Raine posted:

it doesn't physically hurt me to go outside (i'll see you next year summer) right now in phoenix but check this out

cherry picked this one from a couple days ago when the dichotomy was most noticeable

for non-muricans that's ~33C high ~13C low

im so glad i moved away from that hell city. 91 in november lmao

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

T-Paine posted:

lmao

Sit down, oil man

Meanwhile, back in 2016...

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh hey, now I'm a sinophobe for, what, making the case that 560 million people should be able to have better lives if they chose to?

Sure.

*clears his throat* I am not a sinophobe. I wish nothing but the best for the Chinese people because they're as human as I am. I am critical of the Chinese Communist Party and how it levies its authority abroad and, yes, internally as well, because I think people should be able to at least TRY to improve their lot in life.

pretty loving funny how out of touch westerners are re:china, poverty and the third world

the obvious comparison is the other 1 billion population country, capitalist India, and lmfao it loses in every aspect, where the rural chinese are poor rural poor indians die of hunger, where the chinese education system is bad the poorest indians get excluded from it altogether, where the communist party exerts oppressive control over internet talk a modi supporter mob burns people alive and gloats about it, where chinese urban infra is shoddy the indian government is absolutely fine with people using water contaminated by poo poo piss and corpses

nobody's taking this china will collapse at any moment bullshit seriously anymore because we've been hearing it all of our lives, the old world is dead, this is the chinese century, and when poo poo hits the fan globally we in the global south will look towards them for help because the "western world" has proven itself time and time again to be a den of terminally inbred idiotic murderers and thieves who're high on their own farts.

the chinese communists might prove themselves to be as poo poo as europeans and americans in their relations to the rest of the world as hegemons given time too, but they'd have to try real hard

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

T-Paine posted:

lmao

Sit down, oil man

"Stay mad" - Barack 'That was me, folks' Obama, to seething climate activists

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

T-Paine posted:

lmao

Sit down, oil man

"u mad" - Obama taunts youth about their leaders on climate

edit - lol that'll teach me to refresh

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/io9/status/1457846031471710208?s=20

I know I said I'm taking a break (and from political news I generally am on here, sticking to video games) but Andrew, if you're in here, I don't just write hot takes and dumb jokes but screenplays and have a pretty sick sci-fi movie idea I think you'd be perfect for.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
that's a beautiful tweet, one for the ages

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

actionjackson posted:

who cares we're all hosed

i've cared about this topic for a very long time and let me tell you

you should never stop caring

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Mola Yam posted:

that's a beautiful tweet, one for the ages

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cup Runneth Over posted:

:golfclap:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

LionArcher posted:

https://twitter.com/io9/status/1457846031471710208?s=20

I know I said I'm taking a break (and from political news I generally am on here, sticking to video games) but Andrew, if you're in here, I don't just write hot takes and dumb jokes but screenplays and have a pretty sick sci-fi movie idea I think you'd be perfect for.

in honor of this tweet, i would like to nominate two andrew garfield films to the thread movie list:

Never Let Me Go
Under the Silver Lake

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Bafrack Obooma strikes again

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

bagual posted:

the old world is dead, this is the chinese century, and when poo poo hits the fan globally we in the global south will look towards them for help

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hubbert posted:

sorry but apathy is the only psychological defence I have left

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Reminds me of that short story, The Machine Stops. "Man is the measure"

The Machine Stops posted:

They wept for humanity, those two, not for themselves. They could not bear that this should be the end. Ere silence was completed their hearts were opened, and they knew what had been important on the earth. Man, the flower of all flesh, the noblest of all creatures visible, man who had once made god in his image, and had mirrored his strength on the constellations, beautiful naked man was dying, strangled in the garments that he had woven. Century after century had he toiled, and here was his reward. Truly the garment had seemed heavenly at first, shot with colours of culture, sewn with the threads of self-denial. And heavenly it had been so long as it was a garment and no more, man could shed it at will and live by the essence that is his soul, and the essence, equally divine, that is his body. The sin against the body—it was for that they wept in chief; the centuries of wrong against the muscles and the nerves, and those five portals by which we can alone apprehend — glozing it over with talk of evolution, until the body was white pap, the home of ideas as colourless, last sloshy stirrings of a spirit that had grasped the stars.

“Where are you?” she sobbed.
His voice in the darkness said, “Here.”
“Is there any hope, Kuno?”
“None for us.”

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/Kerileef/status/1458035248126697474?s=20

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.

Heads, meet blades. And forks.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hubbert posted:

I care about some stuff, but not who is the "#1 country" (whatever the gently caress that means)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Lol this article

https://twitter.com/DangerBrooks/status/1457790513927495685?t=LVgKz-dl73GAz0zOB8iZHQ&s=19

quote:

Sometimes, in idle moments, I get a vision of my teenage son’s son — my imaginary unborn grandson — manually pollinating soybeans for 12 hours a day in exchange for a ration of drinkable water. I prefer not to linger on this image. Once I have forced my mind away from it, though, to picture said grandson coming home and feeding me my mush, I end up wondering how I will explain to him why it was so vitally important, in the year 2021, that we preserve the normal function of the Senate and respect the personal autonomy of a man named Joe Manchin III.

quote:

The normal person who feels some obligation to the future and comes face-to-face with this seemingly total failure of our usual systems must ask him-/her-/themself: Would it help if I killed somebody?

quote:

This feeling is literally maddening. I don’t want to mow the lawn and shop for groceries while permanently trapped in a moral dilemma whose two options are (A) to passively condemn my child and all future children to lives of misery or (B) to become some kind of political-historical assassin. Those are impossibly high stakes, and they render individual experience meaningless relative to the news in a way that I suspect feels a lot like paranoid psychosis or some other variety of losing one’s mind.

quote:

Environmental regulations are hard to make at home, but it is relatively easy to, for example, go out and sabotage a piece of privately owned equipment in a way that reduces total oil or gas consumption and encourages shifts to renewable energy.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Has anyone tried raising the ground?

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

sounds like a job for the blockchain

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Only one piece of it needs to stay above water, just make a little hill, bing bong simple

That podium is basically a hill already!

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

This is a good description of cracking and pinging, thank you

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

This is great, worth reading in full even though it doesn't really state anything new.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the amerikkkan fascination with individual heroism continues while slyly obfuscating their privileged position where they are incentivized not to rock the boat as not willing to break 'normality' as if it is akin to refusing to eat toast for breakfast rather than forgoing the benefit of being fat and content through their virtue of guarding the borders of the mountain of gold. amen.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Nice to see the waking nightmare I live in reflected in some mainstream media. I am actually losing my mind, every day, from the vicious contrast between the horrible truth and the total inaction around me. The increasing doom is almost a comfort now, since if that really is true I can simply relax, eat the treats the horrible treat machine makes, hold my loved ones, and weep quietly.

But it doesn't *really* resolve anything, because the suffering of millions now and billions later will not stop being wrong, and the reduction in deaths and suffering will remain possible even as the world burns, and my heart and mind will still scream in a tone so piercing that even the most potent weed can't plug my ears as it says "This is wrong, this is wrong, this is the worst and most disgusting crime our failed species has EVER DONE, TO ALL LIFE ON EARTH! IT IS A GENOCIDE OF ALL LIVING THINGS, IT IS WRONG, IT IS WRONG, IT IS WRONG"

The dichotomy between my comfort and even enjoyment of the day to day and all that is happening now and all that will happen

All that will happen

It is certain

So certain I am losing my mind.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Samuel Glompers posted:

Nice to see the waking nightmare I live in reflected in some mainstream media. I am actually losing my mind, every day, from the vicious contrast between the horrible truth and the total inaction around me. The increasing doom is almost a comfort now, since if that really is true I can simply relax, eat the treats the horrible treat machine makes, hold my loved ones, and weep quietly.

But it doesn't *really* resolve anything, because the suffering of millions now and billions later will not stop being wrong, and the reduction in deaths and suffering will remain possible even as the world burns, and my heart and mind will still scream in a tone so piercing that even the most potent weed can't plug my ears as it says "This is wrong, this is wrong, this is the worst and most disgusting crime our failed species has EVER DONE, TO ALL LIFE ON EARTH! IT IS A GENOCIDE OF ALL LIVING THINGS, IT IS WRONG, IT IS WRONG, IT IS WRONG"

The dichotomy between my comfort and even enjoyment of the day to day and all that is happening now and all that will happen

All that will happen

It is certain

So certain I am losing my mind.

ah you did a good job putting words to the howl

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

lol yeah it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer