Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That whole trope of uniting all the disparate factions of the world by giving them a common enemy seems ridiculously far fetched in retrospect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
IDK it's a successful strategy to install fascist governments, so there's some precedent.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Half the country would be rooting for the aliens just because it would make the president look bad

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It’s everything you could hope for in a 90s summer blockbuster. The visual effects still hold up alright. Although the sequel is the worst movie I’ve paid to see.

Sorry, in case I want to take a trip down memory lane, what movie is this?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stackofflapjacks posted:

Independence Day

e: Or is the joke that it can’t possibly be that because it’s not everything you could hope for and the effects do not hold up?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

stackofflapjacks posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day:_Resurgence

The worst thing about this movie is that it teases what would've been a badass movie inside it. One of the city-killer ships *landed* in Africa and the continent went to war with the aliens and *won*. But we never get to see *any* of that awesome :black101: poo poo.

It also has Sela Ward, a timelessly beautiful woman, playing a horrendously inept Generic Female President, and every other character is a loving parody. Watch it to see Brent Spiner be given free reign to be himself.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Judd Hirsch and Jeff Goldblum driving a bus full of children to attack a UFO is what I remember most about that movie.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The worst thing about this movie is that it teases what would've been a badass movie inside it. One of the city-killer ships *landed* in Africa and the continent went to war with the aliens and *won*. But we never get to see *any* of that awesome :black101: poo poo.
Have never seen this movie, but would watch the hell out of THAT movie.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

stealie72 posted:

same, never saw Resurgence

the line is so emblematic

MazelTovCocktail posted:

President Thomas Whitmore : I don't understand, where does all this come from? How do you get funding for something like this?

Julius Levinson : You don't actually think they spend $20,000 on a hammer, $30,000 on a toilet seat, do you?

I just disassociated it from Independence Day and then couldn't remember where the line came from.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I was just telling my son this morning that I might revisit the North Korea Nuke Attack Report book.

"Now that it's alternative historical fiction, and not a teaser for tonight's news, I can probably enjoy it more."

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly ID4 was fun and I loved it as a kid, but Battle LA (don’t kill me) surpassed it as my favorite Alien Invasion movie once I saw that. Yes it’s a Marine Corps recruiting movie but it’s a fun one and once you watch it, if you want you can just skip the first 15 minutes and go right to the action. Excellent score by Brian Tyler too. It also represents an interesting time thematically in American history and stylistically it’s very different from most alien invasion movies.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

stealie72 posted:

it's called District 9 and oh boy is it a downer

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Battle LA was good.

Honestly feel like I heard the hammers and toilets line in one of Dr. Steven Greer's alien government conspiracy "documentaries" a few years ago. Dude seemed pretty reasonable (about gov black money) until he went all out on his "talk to the aliens with your mind" tangent.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

shame on an IGA posted:

it's called District 9 and oh boy is it a downer

We could eat them so it wasn’t all that bad.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If we’re talking alien invasion and not encounter with alien(s) in space or “first contact” movies etc, then some good ones in no real order include:

Mars Attacks
Edge of Tomorrow (Live, Die, Repeat)
World’s End
Pacific Rim
Monsters
War of the Worlds
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Before someone loses their mind about The Thing, I kind of categorize it as an encounter/contact more than alien invasion. Same with Predator or any number of movies where the premise is either aliens among us (MIB, They Live), limited alien visit (Arrival), Comic Heroes are Aliens movies (MCU, Superman) or ambiguous movies (a few I won’t spoil).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Battle LA was good.

Honestly feel like I heard the hammers and toilets line in one of Dr. Steven Greer's alien government conspiracy "documentaries" a few years ago. Dude seemed pretty reasonable (about gov black money) until he went all out on his "talk to the aliens with your mind" tangent.
Funny enough the novelization of ID4 actually expands on the line and straight up says padding like that is used for the black budget funding.

Also good to know I'm not alone on Battle LA. Funniest thing is re-watching it and realizing Michael Pena played the kids dad. Also if you're a fan of Castlevania, Adetokumboh M'Cormack, who is a super cool dude and the voice of Isaac, played the medic in the movie.

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot about Edge of Tomorrow. That was pretty goddamn amazing and possibly the best "video game" adaptation ever.

I also concur that Predator and Thing are less invasion and more like Alien in terms of being solo encounters.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 9, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/1458080798582743053

https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/1458081942071619599

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1458082970632290304

Senate control for 2022 easily could've hinged upon NH Governor Sununu (popular Republican) knocking off current Democrat Hassan. Unfortunately for Republicans, Sununununununununu realizes how poo poo of a job being a Senator is and he's running for a 4th term as Governor instead. He would've been favored in the Senate race.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My favorite alien invasion is Falling Skies. It's a fairly low budget tv show, but was solid and had some more realistic aspects to the concept. And the opening scene is kid's voice overs played while showing kid's crayon drawings of the alien's arrival and opening attacks.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

facialimpediment posted:

Senate control for 2022 easily could've hinged upon NH Governor Sununu (popular Republican) knocking off current Democrat Hassan. Unfortunately for Republicans, Sununununununununu realizes how poo poo of a job being a Senator is and he's running for a 4th term as Governor instead. He would've been favored in the Senate race.

"You ever read that Dr. Seuss book Yertle the Turtle to your grandkids? Yeah, well, get elected and you'll get to be Turtle #51. Wait, where are you going?"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bulletsponge13 posted:

My favorite alien invasion is Falling Skies. It's a fairly low budget tv show, but was solid and had some more realistic aspects to the concept. And the opening scene is kid's voice overs played while showing kid's crayon drawings of the alien's arrival and opening attacks.

See that's kind of what drew me to Battle LA, it felt (for lack of a better term) real or authentic. Like no real super science or goofy stuff, just like hey Aliens have attacked in 2011, what might happen. It checked so many nerd boxes I guess. lol

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I forgot to add, that opening is one of my favorite gut punches in entertainment. It's rough in the right ways.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

MRC48B posted:

Smith is making a Nat Geo series literally called "Welcome to Earth"

https://youtu.be/i0MTCXgil1M

He also did "One Strange Rock", which I thought was really good.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Battle LA was a really understated movie. Just good, cool action throughout.

Edge of Tomorrow is a goddamned masterpiece from start to finish. Tom Cruise the person sometimes gives me the heebie-jeebies with the Scientology stuff, but he's a good actor and he was perfectly cast for that role. Also Emily Blunt just absolutely killed it in that role. It's a bummer that the prospective sequel seems to have entered development hell, though.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

facialimpediment posted:

Huh, well that's a surprise.

Gotta wonder who they get to step up now. Ayotte maybe?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Honestly ID4 was fun and I loved it as a kid, but Battle LA (don’t kill me) surpassed it as my favorite Alien Invasion movie once I saw that. Yes it’s a Marine Corps recruiting movie but it’s a fun one and once you watch it, if you want you can just skip the first 15 minutes and go right to the action. Excellent score by Brian Tyler too. It also represents an interesting time thematically in American history and stylistically it’s very different from most alien invasion movies.

:same:

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Edge of Tomorrow is a goddamned masterpiece from start to finish. Tom Cruise the person sometimes gives me the heebie-jeebies with the Scientology stuff, but he's a good actor and he was perfectly cast for that role. Also Emily Blunt just absolutely killed it in that role. It's a bummer that the prospective sequel seems to have entered development hell, though.

Hell yeah. I remember seeing it by myself opening weekend because the trailers looked cool. Honestly surprised it wasn't more popular.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 9, 2021

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Platystemon posted:

Independence Day

e: Or is the joke that it can’t possibly be that because it’s not everything you could hope for and the effects do not hold up?

No I think they still look good, as most were models and practical effects so they've aged decently. Nothing industry changing like Jurassic Park but still darn good explosions and the spectacle of the ships over the cities holds up.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day:_Resurgence

It also has Sela Ward, a timelessly beautiful woman, playing a horrendously inept Generic Female President, and every other character is a loving parody. Watch it to see Brent Spiner be given free reign to be himself.

Yeah I know it would never happen but an ID4 sequel where the world is trying to recover as Africa fights a downed city ship could have been fascinating. Have African nations recover the most alien tech intact and get an Xcom level science boost. Nations could squander limited funds on military buildup and watching the skies as their people try to recover. Cities would naturally resist becoming too large out of fear of alien return so rural areas experience a "Resurgence." How do world religions take into account the existence of aliens? Tons of potential.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Agreed the aliens are great in that and it was clever to have them using coherent tactics and the fight scenes were good. But I rewatched this year and oh man the characters are charisma black holes and it is hard to care what happens to them. Wish they'd had a better final fight scene rather than the videogamey "blow up the drone controller to make the other drones crash."

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah I know it would never happen but an ID4 sequel where the world is trying to recover as Africa fights a downed city ship could have been fascinating. Have African nations recover the most alien tech intact and get an Xcom level science boost. Nations could squander limited funds on military buildup and watching the skies as their people try to recover. Cities would naturally resist becoming too large out of fear of alien return so rural areas experience a "Resurgence." How do world religions take into account the existence of aliens? Tons of potential.

While we're talking about wasted cinematic opportunities, I'm still so bummed that World War Z got turned into a relatively generic action-horror movie when it could have been an *incredible* mini-series with each chapter of Max Brooks' book being told in a pseudo-documentary style. Imagine an episode on society collapsing during the Great Panic, a Ken Burns' Vietnam-style episode on the Battle of Yonkers, the wartime economy, etc. gently caress, every time I think about that squandered opportunity I have to walk around for a couple of minutes.

And also we're not getting a sequel to WWZ for many reasons; apparently the reason was because films about zombies or ghosts are banned in China and Paramount didn't want to alienate that market.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Shot:

https://twitter.com/cblatts/status/1458072517814460422?s=20

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/cblatts/status/1458085625194811401?s=20

"Your colleages worked for GOP presidents."

"Well, there is no GOP president now! You idiot. You loving moron.

The guy works for U Chicago, so if he doesn't know he has conservative colleagues that's like a fish not knowing it's in water.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

While we're talking about wasted cinematic opportunities, I'm still so bummed that World War Z got turned into a relatively generic action-horror movie when it could have been an *incredible* mini-series with each chapter of Max Brooks' book being told in a pseudo-documentary style. Imagine an episode on society collapsing during the Great Panic, a Ken Burns' Vietnam-style episode on the Battle of Yonkers, the wartime economy, etc. gently caress, every time I think about that squandered opportunity I have to walk around for a couple of minutes.

And also we're not getting a sequel to WWZ for many reasons; apparently the reason was because films about zombies or ghosts are banned in China and Paramount didn't want to alienate that market.

Whoa that would be a cool idea. Especially if they had a mix of footage from the "real" events and also in-universe actors recreating events. Could have a part of the narrative be the government is paying for the documentary so in the staged footage soldiers are dropping zombies at a hundred yards with pistol shots anywhere, but in flashbacks they're panicking and abandoning civilians as emptying a clip to destroy a zombie's arm won't stop it, as fighter planes circle uselessly. The scenes of the middle class trying to escape cities in mile long convoys that get stalled and overrun would be amazing.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Handsome Ralph posted:

Huh, well that's a surprise.

Gotta wonder who they get to step up now. Ayotte maybe?

:same:

Hell yeah. I remember seeing it by myself opening weekend because the trailers looked cool. Honestly surprised it wasn't more popular.

The reason everyone seemed to skip Edge of Tomorrow is that everyone described it as "groundhog day in space" and, because people apparently forgot that groundhog day is really good, they blew it off.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
gently caress him and his Milton Freidman loving sycophants.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I would have loved WWZ to be like the book. Especially if they got the narrators from the History channel to be in it. I would have watched that movie 1000 times. I guess its time to re-read the book.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I read World War Z on an airplane flight, which is probably the only way I got through it.

I think he had a few decent short stories and then felt compelled to fill it out to be longer via more very bad short stories.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
Mars Attacks! is definitely one of my favorite movies, and not just for alien invasion stuff. The absolutely idiotic response to a crisis using worthless, focus grouped bullshit still rings true today.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ASAPI posted:

I would have loved WWZ to be like the book. Especially if they got the narrators from the History channel to be in it. I would have watched that movie 1000 times. I guess its time to re-read the book.

Now I want WWZ with the Civil War theme

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Taking about alien invasion movies and leaving out the cinematic masterpiece Battleship is Haram

Missouri doriftu

The best part of WWZ is when the chopper pilots try using their rotors as slap-chops out of desperation

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

ASAPI posted:

If they were smart, they'd make it like a mini series that is basically one episode opening with someone starting to recollect their experience during the war to an interviewer and then going from there, but alas.

I met Max Brooks a few years ago at a convention and managed to chew his ear for about five extra minutes when I mentioned I had missed getting the chance to see him at the Naval War College and we both proceeded to nerd out about similar academic backgrounds and stuff from the book. I did tell him no adaptation would ever work unless he was able to get The Trooper licensed for the soundtrack. Nice guy. I also told him to say hello to his father for me and that I hope he's doing well, he laughed and said he would.

Really hoping Mel Brooks heard that Ralph said hello and wishes him well :ohdear:

Some actual news,
https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/1458105744826322944?s=09

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 9, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Agreed the aliens are great in that and it was clever to have them using coherent tactics and the fight scenes were good. But I rewatched this year and oh man the characters are charisma black holes and it is hard to care what happens to them. Wish they'd had a better final fight scene rather than the videogamey "blow up the drone controller to make the other drones crash."
Not going to lie I still have no clue exactly what happened to Motorola lol. That said while most are kind of like that, I figured it was better then trying to ape things like Generation Kill, and I still feel there are a couple of good characters or at least they're played by actors who do a good job with what they have to work with. I agree on the ending as it kind of rips of ID4, which ripped off War of the Worlds, but I was willing to let it fly that perhaps they just have a really centralized command structure.

Handsome Ralph posted:

If they were smart, they'd make it like a mini series that is basically one episode opening with someone starting to recollect their experience during the war to an interviewer and then going from there, but alas.

I met Max Brooks a few years ago at a convention and managed to chew his ear for about five extra minutes when I mentioned I had missed getting the chance to see him at the Naval War College and we both proceeded to nerd out about similar academic backgrounds and stuff from the book. I did tell him no adaptation would ever work unless he was able to get The Trooper licensed for the soundtrack. Nice guy. I also told him to say hello to his father for me and that I hope he's doing well, he laughed and said he would.

Really hoping Mel Brooks heard that Ralph said hello and wishes him well :ohdear:

That's goddamn awesome. I totally agree about the mini series approach. Imagine something like Chernobyl but WWZ. He clearly has his fathers charm and wit in interviews I've seen and read with him. He also talked about how Mel Brooks has a huge library and stuff like Max Weber in it. Max and Mel rule. Also It's kind of crazy how much they look alike. I'm stilling listening to his new book Devolution which has my queen, Judy Greer, as the main narrator.

Mel in WW2

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

And today I learn that Max Brooks is Mel Brooks kid.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soylent Pudding posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hm-U9_nDlI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Soylent Pudding posted:

Max was/is a goon, too, iirc.