Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Handsome Ralph posted:

Probably the second worst part of being a vet is random acquaintances or friends that seemingly only reach out (usually on holidays or weekends) to ask for random free medical advice for their pet that is usually best answered with "You need to go to your vet, I can't diagnose over the phone/Discord chat while we play games. No, I don't need to see pictures of it's butthole. Go to your vet."

I've definitely made a call or three like that to my veterinarian cousin, but they call me every time they have car trouble, so I feel like we have a fair trade in comforting each other in things we can't handle at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

They were literally chanting "hang Mike Pence" and had makeshift gallows set up.

Oh I know. I just meant in terms of actually being able to truly get to him. I mean it's still crazy only Batshit Babbitt got domed. I have to imagine Pence's detail is equipped with both sidearms and SMGs, along with whatever Capital PD had.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah Mitt Romney would've been completely and utterly torn apart, or he would've led everyone back to the Senate Chamber as he was retreating (remember the mob didn't know how to actually get there at the start and Goodman kept them diverted away).

Pence had a security detail, with at least a few dudes that had guns. Romney didn't have poo poo.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I've definitely made a call or three like that to my veterinarian cousin, but they call me every time they have car trouble, so I feel like we have a fair trade in comforting each other in things we can't handle at the moment.

I should add the only people who get a pass with this is family, because well, they tend to not abuse it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah Mitt Romney would've been completely and utterly torn apart, or he would've led everyone back to the Senate Chamber as he was retreating (remember the mob didn't know how to actually get there at the start and Goodman kept them diverted away).

Pence had a security detail, with at least a few dudes that had guns. Romney didn't have poo poo.

I kinda wonder (not wishing harm on anyone) what the consequences would have been if several GOP senators had perished at the hands of the mob. I assume the survivors would still refuse to allow it to be investigated.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

One of my Brothers in law is a plumber. He knows his poo poo.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Oh I know. I just meant in terms of actually being able to truly get to him. I mean it's still crazy only Batshit Babbitt got domed. I have to imagine Pence's detail is equipped with both sidearms and SMGs, along with whatever Capital PD had.

There also had to be a USSS Counter Assault Team stationed near the VP. Or is that only for the president?

Also, and this comes from two feds I know so it isn't first hand, but at the Inauguration, the feds flew in every single 1811 series Special Agent they could, everything from FBI SWAT to HRT, to USDA and DOE OIG Special Agents. The hosed up thing is that almost no two agencies had comms with each other. If a USDA team and another agency were to act as a counter assault team and they were in the same area, they had to exchange cell numbers because they couldn't talk to each other via their radios. If something big had happened, the comms situation would've been completely hosed.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I have an electrical engineer buddy who's going to help me switch out some outlets this weekend. Made sure to check well in advance it was ok with his schedule and make it clear he's getting a lunch out of the deal.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

electrical engineer buddy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

switch out some outlets this weekend
Man, have I got some bad news for you about the difference between an electrician and an electrical engineer.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
That teen who struck six cyclists after rolling coal on others is actually facing serious charges thanks to a proactive DA. Hopefully signals a move towards actually prosecuting vehicular violence, though Houston just had another instance of a driver murdering a cyclist and the police just letting him drive away, so there's still a long road ahead.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I was hoping for 6 charges of attempted murder, but I'm happy to see felony aggravated assault x6. Better throw some poo poo in like barring him from obtaining a license for life after release, so he has to ride a bike for the rest of his travelling days.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Welp, we truly do live in hell if this guy runs and is elected.
https://twitter.com/elianayjohnson/status/1458156246029189126

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

[Removed - beaten]

After being burned by 2016 (and almost voting Donnie in the primary so he'd be the most beatable), I don't treat this poo poo as pure comedy anymore.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

When watching that day on TV, I was convinced that the day would end with dead bodies littering the Capitol grounds.

Part of me is always saddened by the loss of life. Part of me wishes that day turned out differently.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

facialimpediment posted:

I’ve met a lot of his security detail at the USNO and one of the SS is a reservist officer I served with starting in April.

Pence was never in any real danger is my dumb opinion. His detail would have created a blood bath that would have created a lot of martyrs and is best not thought of. One stupid idiot was more than enough. Dudes are rocking mp5s and tiny AR platform.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Being on the Presidential Secret Service detail involves a certain level of "I wish a mother fucker would" I bet. The P90 exists for a reason, after all.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This was commented on a while back, but if you're in Colorado, get your boosters!

https://twitter.com/mattsebastian/status/1458167739973992448

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I've done a bunch of PSD work in theater.

The fact only one idiot got killed is pretty impressive, because as soon as they breached, I'd have started popping grapes like winery.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Battleship has one of the hottest rad scenes in any alien movie ever.

https://youtu.be/zMwQbD3ZI4o

That movie is loads of fun. If you want another kickass space/sci if movie (not aliens though) the Korean movie Space Sweepers on Netflix is just unbeatable.

https://youtu.be/H1WYnJF1Pwo

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've done a bunch of PSD work in theater.

The fact only one idiot got killed is pretty impressive, because as soon as they breached, I'd have started popping grapes like winery.
I remember messaging my brother as we were watching a livestream that as soon as they kicked down the exterior doors they were going to be mowed down. Too much Clancy/Bruckheimer for me, I think. Can't believe how close a mob of random idiots were allowed to come to decapitating the legislature, and that the survival of our democracy may have come down to a couple security guys with suits and Glocks.

My Clancy/Bruckheimer brain worms wonder which foreign country is going to pepper its special forces into the crowd the next time the chuds try this to really gently caress us up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

stealie72 posted:

I remember messaging my brother as we were watching a livestream that as soon as they kicked down the exterior doors they were going to be mowed down. Too much Clancy/Bruckheimer for me, I think. Can't believe how close a mob of random idiots were allowed to come to decapitating the legislature, and that the survival of our democracy may have come down to a couple security guys with suits and Glocks.

My Clancy/Bruckheimer brain worms wonder which foreign country is going to pepper its special forces into the crowd the next time the chuds try this to really gently caress us up.

Don't forget that one dude shoving the leader to bait him (and the crowd) into following him away from the Senate chamber. One of the bravest things I've ever seen.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I kinda wonder (not wishing harm on anyone) what the consequences would have been if several GOP senators had perished at the hands of the mob. I assume the survivors would still refuse to allow it to be investigated.

Steve Scalise.

A Bad Poster posted:

Being on the Presidential Secret Service detail involves a certain level of "I wish a mother fucker would" I bet. The P90 exists for a reason, after all.

Depending on your :ohdear: or :black101: level of sentimentality, I can think of no worse/better small caliber round to utilize in a "throng of people in a hallway" situation than 5.7x28mm, especially the "special sauce" version the Secret Service gets. =/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 9, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ASAPI posted:

When watching that day on TV, I was convinced that the day would end with dead bodies littering the Capitol grounds.

Part of me is always saddened by the loss of life. Part of me wishes that day turned out differently.

Yeah I'm still surprised by that. Granted the irony of a bunch of CHUDs getting lit up because of Mike Pence is (on some level) deeply funny.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Don't forget that one dude shoving the leader to bait him (and the crowd) into following him away from the Senate chamber. One of the bravest things I've ever seen.

Eugene Goodman is an American hero in every sense of the world.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Steve Scalise.

Depending on your :ohdear: or :black101: level of sentimentality, I can think of no worse/better small caliber round to utilize in a "throng of people in a hallway" situation than 5.7x28mm, especially the "special sauce" version the Secret Service gets. =/

Is there something special about the P90? I know nothing

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Stargate SG-1 treats them as if they were M2s.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'll add a real answer in shortly, but this is too cool not to use (in short the SS190 bullet can defeat body armor at a crazy velocity, but with less recoil then 9mm). HK's answers was the MP7 and 4.6X30mm round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyJEEISVTd4

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 9, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Very small very fast round. It’s inherently good for penetration and then you add they way it’s built and it’s gonna go through multiple meat sacks.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crab Dad posted:

Very small very fast round. It’s inherently good for penetration and then you add they way it’s built and it’s gonna go through multiple meat sacks.

Well it's worth remembering that the SS190 ammo is a big part of the penetration factor. It's not actually illegal to sell (well Federally at least), but FN won't sell it to non-LEO or proper parties, so people will pay stupid money for it when it pops up on the market.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/915009311
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/915773288

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

5.7x28mm is effectively a rifle caliber (and velocity) round out of a pistol caliber-sized bullet. As MTC implied, the duty/military version of the 5.7mm bullet/cartridge was designed to defeat body armor - even the more commonly available civilian versions of 5.7mm FMJ do pretty well against body armor at closer ranges simply due to the muzzle velocity. The 5.7x28mm and P90/Five-Seven were designed to be lightweight arms given to NATO REMFs in a European war scenario because standard small calibers had little to no chance of defeating Soviet body armor. Even with the velocities the SS190 puts out, it's a very light recoil, and out of the P90 is almost completely nullified. This means you can put a LOT of rounds on target, and the P90's magazine holds 50 rounds.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Agreed Cap Police and USSS should have been mag dumping (I don't understand why they didn't neutralize these people, seemed like a reasonable time to use deadly force)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Battleship is an exceptionally silly movie, I should really watch it again sometime.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Forgotten Weapons actually did a deep dive a few months back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M20PiFxMkrs

Long story short the 5.7 round was designed to give rear-echelon troops something that could defeat body armor worn by WarPact special forces. It would, uh, not be pretty to see it used against a tightly packed crowd.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

maffew buildings posted:

Agreed Cap Police and USSS should have been mag dumping (I don't understand why they didn't neutralize these people, seemed like a reasonable time to use deadly force)

They understand the tactical advantage of de-escalation.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They should have turned congress into a boot camp CS chamber on 1/6, but then the crimes wouldn't have been quite as visible on camera.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They should have turned congress into a boot camp CS chamber on 1/6, but then the crimes wouldn't have been quite as visible on camera.

Think bigger. BZ would've been WAY more fun.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Either would have had them coughing even more covid on each other, so it'd be a win with either chemical.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blind Rasputin posted:

Battleship has one of the hottest rad scenes in any alien movie ever.
https://youtu.be/zMwQbD3ZI4o
I will admit somehow getting the Missouri up and running and using original crew members is some very silly and wholesome fun. It was also cool that they casted (and yes it Hollywood/Military incest) that one vet who lost his legs, despite having no acting experience, but he's still fine.

Also the game board series is peak being self aware and I'm happy it had that. I remember internet nerds acting like it was them being forced to watch their family be murdered the way they acted.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

They are white.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I will admit somehow getting the Missouri up and running and using original crew members is some very silly and wholesome fun. It was also cool that they casted (and yes it Hollywood/Military incest) that one vet who lost his legs, despite having no acting experience, but he's still fine.

Also the game board series is peak being self aware and I'm happy it had that. I remember internet nerds acting like it was them being forced to watch their family be murdered the way they acted.

The alien rounds are battleship pegs :allears:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

^^^^
I have seen this movie like a dozen times and never noticed that.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDBE7p8nO4A&t=27s

Hahaha, someone posted the scene where they power slide the Mighty Mo with that anime drifting music.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Everything I've read/seen is that the Capitol Police and Metro PD thought that the insurrectionists had more guns than the police did, with the insurrectionists more organized. I believe Babbitt got domed roughly around the time the police actually had good numbers in the building to feel comfortable using said guns. By then, police could start deploying the usual anti-crowd/riot munitions. She was also one of the first to charge over a barricade in the building itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I can't stand Liam Neeson so there's no convincing me to watch Battleship.