Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Blind Rasputin posted:

Battleship has one of the hottest rad scenes in any alien movie ever.

https://youtu.be/zMwQbD3ZI4o

I dont even like Thunderstruck but I cannot think of a more appropriate song. Goddamn that scene rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I can't stand Liam Neeson so there's no convincing me to watch Battleship.

Just skip his parts. He's in the movie for about 4 minutes. And they're the worst 4 minutes. So you lose nothing.

Edit: I take that back. He has one good scene where he yells at the SecDef who told him to send more pilots to ram into the space dome that he'll launch another flight the second the SecDef comes out to the ship and gets in the rear seat.

But there, I just told you the good bit so you can skip it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I'll add a real answer in shortly, but this is too cool not to use (in short the SS190 bullet can defeat body armor at a crazy velocity, but with less recoil then 9mm). HK's answers was the MP7 and 4.6X30mm round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyJEEISVTd4

meanwhile, the soviets simply used a pencil .30 Mauser

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

meanwhile, the soviets simply used a pencil .30 Mauser

It was John Wick used the pencil

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CainFortea posted:

^^^^
I have seen this movie like a dozen times and never noticed that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDBE7p8nO4A&t=27s

Hahaha, someone posted the scene where they power slide the Mighty Mo with that anime drifting music.

Yeah when I was doing my apprenticeship we drank every time something in the movie was wrong

It ended poorly but its just such a fun movie

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CainFortea posted:

Stargate SG-1 treats them as if they were M2s.

Didn't they use them for that show as they eject shells downward so that helps with actor safety? Probably their lightweight and futuristic appearance didn't hurt.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Didn't they use them for that show as they eject shells downward so that helps with actor safety? Probably their lightweight and futuristic appearance didn't hurt.

I've never heard that story, but it wouldn't surprise me.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

That scene where Carter schools the sexist Jaffa soldier with precision shots from the P90 was loving great.

"C'mon, get it swinging. Give her a REAL challenge."

That show slapped.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Don't forget that one dude shoving the leader to bait him (and the crowd) into following him away from the Senate chamber. One of the bravest things I've ever seen.

How could you forget how memorable his name is? That was officer Eugene Goodman. And since Eugene comes from the Greek "eugenes" (Good born), the crowd was literally distracted by Officer Good-born Good-man.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If I was a billionaire I'd spend it all to make a historically-accurate movie about Jutland. It would probably be ten hours long and a miserable box office failure, but I'm fine with that.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

golden bubble posted:

How could you forget how memorable his name is? That was officer Eugene Goodman. And since Eugene comes from the Greek "eugenes" (Good born), the crowd was literally distracted by Officer Good-born Good-man.*

* A Hideo Kojima Game

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If I was a billionaire I'd spend it all to make a historically-accurate movie about Jutland. It would probably be ten hours long and a miserable box office failure, but I'm fine with that.

Counterproposal: 10 episode HBO miniseries on the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That reminds me that I haven't heard anything about The Mighty Eighth in a while.

Or sorry, Masters of the Air: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_the_Air

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Don't tease me.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

That scene where Carter schools the sexist Jaffa soldier with precision shots from the P90 was loving great.

"C'mon, get it swinging. Give her a REAL challenge."

That show slapped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8

I miss this show.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Intriguing idea. Probably a better pitch to the producers too.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Counter counter point, HBO Anthology series but it's a different naval battle/campaign every season.

Jutland, Midway, Leyete Gulf, off Samar, Von Spee's Pacific squadron attempting to get back to Germany, Battle of the North Cape, etc.

No seriously, someone loving do this, or a Master and Commander series.

Speaking of, did anyone else like Greyhound? Aside from the weird christian poo poo at the begining and obvious Hollywoodification, I thought it was pretty decent.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Counter counter point, HBO Anthology series but it's a different naval battle/campaign every season.

Jutland, Midway, Leyete Gulf, off Samar, Von Spee's Pacific squadron attempting to get back to Germany, Battle of the North Cape, etc.

No seriously, someone loving do this, or a Master and Commander series.

Speaking of, did anyone else like Greyhound? Aside from the weird christian poo poo at the begining and obvious Hollywoodification, I thought it was pretty decent.

Ok I vote this but I want a bonus 5 minute piece on the Dutch coming to NZ

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It was pretty good and it was loyal to the book. The Christian poo poo makes sense when you keep in mind that the title of the book was The Good Shepherd.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I would finance an update to The Winds of War TV miniseries that is about the lead up to OIF and is basically the Blowback podcast but on the TeeVee

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
What's good CE, been a while since I checked in. Just gonna huck this idiot grenade in the mess hall

https://twitter.com/thegallowboob/status/1271847108585324544?t=2nCB_WqoNskkrKIOu0q1Xg&s=19

I read the post and it is sweet and bland in a very milquetoast way. I just see this as a potential new avenue for grift. Supposedly the marine poster can send his photo ID into redit to claim his upvotebux.

It has to be grift. Telling people you stood for a long time has been grift since the war of independence.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Give me a miniseries on the Russian Empire Baltic Fleet voyage of the damned only to get their butts completely pushed in at Tsushima.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

For a naval miniseries do either the merchant marine hauling lend lease supplies around Scandinavia to Russia or the hunt for the Bismark.

For historical miniseries in general they should do one on the South Seas investment bubble and how Walpole rode out the scandal to create the prime ministership.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

KirbyKhan posted:

What's good CE, been a while since I checked in. Just gonna huck this idiot grenade in the mess hall

https://twitter.com/thegallowboob/status/1271847108585324544?t=2nCB_WqoNskkrKIOu0q1Xg&s=19

I read the post and it is sweet and bland in a very milquetoast way. I just see this as a potential new avenue for grift. Supposedly the marine poster can send his photo ID into redit to claim his upvotebux.

It has to be grift. Telling people you stood for a long time has been grift since the war of independence.

How the gently caress do those things even work? Does that dude now actually have $2000 or is it just useless e-penis++ poo poo?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MA-Horus posted:

Give me a miniseries on the Russian Empire Baltic Fleet voyage of the damned only to get their butts completely pushed in at Tsushima.

Lol, beat me to it. Studied the war for a NWC course and it's tragically hilarious.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I took a class on Russian history and described the naval losses in the Russo-Japanese war as an "unplanned expedition to map the sea floor" in my midterm exam.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

McNally posted:

I took a class on Russian history and described the naval losses in the Russo-Japanese war as an "unplanned expedition to map the sea floor" in my midterm exam.

:perfect:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

KirbyKhan posted:

Give the money to people who didn't fall out

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I wrote a paper on the Baltic Fleet for my undergrad

It was a sobering subject to study.
The Russians were utterly outclassed in every metric.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Russia’s naval history is: Bad.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The voyage of the damned absolutely deserves a film akin to The Death of Stalin and it's a massive shame it'll never happen.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Any books you can recommend me?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How the gently caress do those things even work? Does that dude now actually have $2000 or is it just useless e-penis++ poo poo?

nah just Conde Nast

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/PoliticsInsider/status/1458067461526458376

https://www.amazon.com/When-Prophecy-Fails-Leon-Festinger/dp/1578988527

They are 100% a cult, or at least a new religion based on GOP brokebrain conspiracies.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao at the Dealey Lama there. Is the Church of the SubGenius still based in Dallas? I'd like to see them gently caress with Qs.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Any books you can recommend me?

The Tsar's Last Armada by Konstantin Pleshakov is a good general read. There's also Rasplata by Vladimir Semenov, which is a first-hand account.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
no relation to other current events, but me and my roommate got the pfizer booster shot today, to round out the j&j we got in april :toot:

thanks to whoever recommended cvs, it was pretty painless. now to wait for the side effects! :suicide:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the polish belarusian-border is having a normal one

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1458064945338331141

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1458093594393382925

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

McNally posted:

Oh for sure, it was insane that upon leaving port they attacked and sunk a suspected Japanese torpedo boat. In the North Sea 20km from Japan. The sinking of a British fishing boat almost led to war and made their long journey harder as they were prohibited from using UK owned coaling stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh for sure, it was insane that upon leaving port they attacked and sunk a suspected Japanese torpedo boat. In the North Sea 20km from Japan. The sinking of a British fishing boat almost led to war and made their long journey harder as they were prohibited from using UK owned coaling stations.

anything that sinks is japanese

anything that floats is well-maintained japanese