Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Rectal Death Adept posted:

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Arby's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Egg Moron posted:

It's bad rear end how hosed we are

Like, turbofucked

That chart about the amount of carbon the top 1% of the US produces is just lol. makes no sense why the rest of the world doesn't band together to destroy the United states to save their own rear end

Seems like the thing preventing that is the global class solidarity of the wealthy

Lol
Yeah I keep hearing about these COP26 pledges to halt deforestation by 2030 and it’s like the rate all this poo poo is accelerating the only reason it’ll halt in 2030 is because we’ll have finished cutting it all down by then

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

wait what does “in toxic amounts” mean exactly I have some questions

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TACD posted:

Yeah I keep hearing about these COP26 pledges to halt deforestation by 2030 and it’s like the rate all this poo poo is accelerating the only reason it’ll halt in 2030 is because we’ll have finished cutting it all down by then

*illegal deforestation, in the case of Brazil, lmao

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
Can I just ask how much goons ITT have been following the day-to-day at COP26? Couple of my co-workers have started to realize the tone is a lot darker then they remember, to my gleeful silence

e: thanks, the US politicians portions are impossible to ignore, their absurdism breaks thru

tiberion02 has issued a correction as of 02:02 on Nov 10, 2021

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Torpor posted:

wait what does “in toxic amounts” mean exactly I have some questions

From a little googling, none is allowed to be deliberately used or added. But 100ppm worth is allowed for incidental, or unintentional presence of lead, cadmium, mercury, and hexavalent chromium combined.

Which reminded me of my favorite ppm article that I've read, when some children's jewelry tested to 984,000ppm cadmium. Or 98.4% for those not using precise measurements for detecting trace elements. The legal limit was 40ppm

jetz0r has issued a correction as of 01:37 on Nov 10, 2021

munce
Oct 23, 2010

tiberion02 posted:

Can I just ask how much goons ITT have been following the day-to-day at COP26? Couple of my co-workers have started to realize the tone is a lot darker then they remember, to my gleeful silence

An informed source has told The Mail on Sunday that Camilla was taken aback to hear Biden break wind as they made polite small talk at the global climate change gathering in Glasgow last week.

'It was long and loud and impossible to ignore,' the source said. 'Camilla hasn't stopped talking about it.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10172959/Camilla-stopped-talking-hearing-President-break-wind-chat-Cop26-summit.html

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

tiberion02 posted:

Since I would get annoyed listening to it, my exposure to it has been the tweets we've mocked or anything NPR does on it during my commutes.

Some highlights in my mind

- A representative of Guyana complaining that people want them to stop developing the huge oil reserves they've discovered in the past few years. They don't see a reason to hurt their own economy when everyone else got to develop their oil reserves and they aren't the problem with climate change. I believe they suggested being paid to not utilize their oil which is exactly how the world works.

- An ambassador from a country I don't remember doing an interview I caught at 5 in the morning where they actually sounded panicked. He talked about how we aren't doing enough and our outcomes are extremely dire.

- An interviewer trying to spin why China saying it will "peak it's emissions" by 2030 and be "net zero" by 2060 and not attending COP26 was an encouraging sign.

- Obama's stupid loving rear end strutting out and telling people to vote like their lives depend on it

- Joe Biden fell asleep and farted in a british royals face

COP26 is still about the fanciful dream of not hitting 1.5C of temperature increase (which is already guaranteed) and halting the problem entirely. So if you are operating in that context you can only get so bleak and dire in your messaging. They still have the luxury of thinking their concern and urgent words could fix the problem or that the problem can be fixed.

Once the extremely optimistic projections finally admit we are guaranteed for 2C the conversation might get a little darker once it switches from this dumbass idea of winning and changes to degrees of loss.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Cop26: world on track for disastrous heating of more than 2.4C, says key report

Research from world’s top climate analysis coalition contrasts sharply with last week’s optimism

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/09/cop26-sets-course-for-disastrous-heating-of-more-than-24c-says-key-report

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

tiberion02 posted:

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1458178472216510471?s=20

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

- An ambassador from a country I don't remember doing an interview I caught at 5 in the morning where they actually sounded panicked. He talked about how we aren't doing enough and our outcomes are extremely dire.

- An interviewer trying to spin why China saying it will "peak it's emissions" by 2030 and be "net zero" by 2060 and not attending COP26 was an encouraging sign.

COP26 is still about the fanciful dream

Hell. Yea!

NatureAbhorsADome @ COP30 or bust

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
you would have to have a james bond villain tier plan to make world leaders watch something like that

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
"watch to the end and you can rape a child and/or kill a poor person"

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
there was a tornado warning in western Washington this morning lmao

where’s that quote about watching extreme weather events until it’s you recording

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
the Pentagon being such a huge polluter is just another reason to hate the military and an easy one everyone can agree on. Why aren't we hearing more outcry from concerned activists about thi hahaha I can't even finish this

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Mola Yam posted:

first event Biden wouldn’t fall asleep at

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Mola Yam posted:

that's the afterparty, and they don't need your permission for that.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

tiberion02 posted:

e: thanks, the US politicians portions are impossible to ignore, their absurdism breaks thru

I haven't been, but I can sum it up - entire countries are crying about how they're going to die and everyone else are making noises about how they totally care but just outside camera shot are removing anything binding or measurable from the final text.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

munce posted:

An informed source has told The Mail on Sunday that Camilla was taken aback to hear Biden break wind as they made polite small talk at the global climate change gathering in Glasgow last week.

'It was long and loud and impossible to ignore,' the source said. 'Camilla hasn't stopped talking about it.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10172959/Camilla-stopped-talking-hearing-President-break-wind-chat-Cop26-summit.html

the fart heard around the world

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

"fart" is a nice succinct honest answer to what are your climate policies mr biden

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

God, I love Arby’s.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

munce posted:

You skipped the best bit

quote:

After a year in the White House, Biden's approval ratings are at rock bottom, with polls putting his predecessor two percentage points ahead.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Wakko posted:

the most backward take. humanity stands at the cusp of realizing its grand destiny. tens of thousands of years of consumption have brought us here, and you whine? imagine a tuberculosis bacterium mewling like this as the host's lungs start to fill with fluid. generations have stood on the shoulders of one another, all working together to bring us here. its is only now, at the great dying, that we realize true meaning.
I wonder if there will be any cool cults in the future or if they'll all be banal and lovely

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Homocow posted:

I wonder if there will be any cool cults in the future or if they'll all be banal and lovely

Probably a bunch of splinters of the One True Q.

The only notable difference in their doctrines will be that each of the other splinter leaders are also in the pedophile cabal.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

I think I will be a Wayfairian.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Wakko posted:

the most backward take. humanity stands at the cusp of realizing its grand destiny. tens of thousands of years of consumption have brought us here, and you whine? imagine a tuberculosis bacterium mewling like this as the host's lungs start to fill with fluid. generations have stood on the shoulders of one another, all working together to bring us here. its is only now, at the great dying, that we realize true meaning.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

“It’s our glorious destiny! It’s our glorious destiny!!” we repeat as we slowly kill ourselves in a predicament we foresaw generations in advance

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Homocow posted:

they’ll all be offshoots of the dumbest gimmick subreddits

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

This is absolutely loving unhinged.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

TACD posted:

they’ll all be offshoots of the dumbest gimmick subreddits

The faithful stand up from their seats and form a procession to the front of the temple. One by one, the priest offers them the cup. "Take this and drink from it." Each of them imbibe, and then repeat the sacred words: "oof ouch owie, my bones"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Bingo. It's the stupidest poo poo in the world to be promoting violent acts before the establishment of a vanguard and organized working class, duh! You'll just get some dummies - who may have been useful once the preconditions were met, even - arrested or killed for no reason.

The vanguard isn't coming in time. Martyr or hope your natural lifespan is shorter than the full swing of the reckoning.

It's not about whether you would make a real difference or not. It's about whether you have fully absorbed the learned helplessness and can drink mimosas while the world literally burns.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

IAMKOREA posted:

This is absolutely loving unhinged.

much like pelosi's jaws when she swallows critically endangered bird eggs whole

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

so...it begins....

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Alobar posted:

so...it begins....
if her name isn’t Gaia i’m going to have a massive sulk

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I looked it up, she has asthma exacerbated by heat waves. Plenty of people have already died of climate change, but at least we're acknowledging it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

wait what do you mean military is exempt from climate change. did it bring a loving note from its parents saying so? it’s gonna sit out during dodgeball?

and the answer is to make a more electric military? I know I shouldn’t expect a politician to mug for the camera and say ‘ya got me guess the game is up we weren’t gonna save poo poo’ but I know I heard the word jobs uttered in that fuckin autocomplete gibberish.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

tiberion02 posted:

Aside from everything else brought up, the whole event is such a logistical poo poo show it feels intentional. A thread with links:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexandriaV2005/status/1455706006428663809

My favourite after discussing all the access issues and activists being kicked out or excluded:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexandriaV2005/status/1455706039769186310

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

kater posted:

and the answer is to make a more electric military?
im already excited for electric tanks that make a fake engine noise for safety reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I'm a horrible person with a recent baby death in my family and just imagining how pissed that kid would have been to learn his parents spent $$$$ on in-vitro to bring him into hellworld has me like "yeah little buddy! You did it! You escaped! :unsmith:"