Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

Rutibex posted:

i love this constant stream of articles about how china is so weak and cowardly and craven their economy is going to crash any day from corruption! also china is the most dangerous of foes, equal to nazi germany and they are scheming to take over the world and we need to stop them at all costs

:centrism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

God they're even beating us at toilets

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

We're sending 1000 of our best reddit moderators with a party pack of taco bell to even the score

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

the north vietnamese air force was arguably the best in the world during the vietnam war, they actually had a positive kills to losses ratio despite being vastly outnumbered and using inferior hardware

Any good books on the air war from the Vietnamese perspective?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Any good books on the air war from the Vietnamese perspective?

my grandfather was shot down while bombing railroads so he was probably a war criminal lol

i like this fun story

quote:

Five years ago I wrote “Jack, Will You Sing Again?” — a story about Col. Jack Tomes, a POW for six and a half years in the Hanoi Hilton, a notorious camp for POWs in Vietnam known for its brutal treatment of American prisoners. Spence Field brought Jack to Moultrie in the 1950s. His beautiful baritone voice got the attention of Miss Neta Belle Scarborough, minister of music at Trinity Baptist at that time, who once gave him the lead solo in “The Seven Last Words of Christ.”

Ignoring the rules of the prison, Jack broke the silence on Christmas Eve by singing “Silent Night, Holy Night/ All is Calm, All is Bright …” The guards came and beat him unmercifully. The next year, Jack found the courage to sing again. This time, other prisoners joined him. Jack’s courage and spirit had become infectious. The camp guards were caught unprepared by such a large number of defiant prisoners. So many sang that the Viet Cong chose to do nothing. They let them sing.

he was from AZ and said all the POWs hated mccain

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Mantis42 posted:

man when i went to lijiang last month i was literally in shock at how good the public toilets were over there

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

fart simpson posted:

man when i went to lijiang last month i was literally in shock at how good the public toilets were over there

Yeah, all over China they're better than expected.
Meaning that in the developed East coast they're good in every way, while in the rural Southwest they're... not good, but better than you'd expect for being halfway up a mountain on a single-lane road.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Cerebral Bore posted:

the north vietnamese air force was arguably the best in the world during the vietnam war, they actually had a positive kills to losses ratio despite being vastly outnumbered and using inferior hardware

It was a lot more complicated than that. The Vietnamese had the luxury of being able to operate in their own territory and air defense umbrella, and they also had a lot of easier targets to shoot down, like bombers, recon and et cetera, whereas American fighters had to bust through the Vietnamese AA network and only fought other fighters.

But yes the Vietnamese gave a good account if themselves, helped greatly by DoD acquisitions being so corrupt that the missiles which formed the core of US doctrine didn't work.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

CaptainACAB posted:

It was a lot more complicated than that. The Vietnamese had the luxury of being able to operate in their own territory and air defense umbrella, and they also had a lot of easier targets to shoot down, like bombers, recon and et cetera, whereas American fighters had to bust through the Vietnamese AA network and only fought other fighters.

But yes the Vietnamese gave a good account if themselves, helped greatly by DoD acquisitions being so corrupt that the missiles which formed the core of US doctrine didn't work.

I remember the excuse for why that first generation of heart seeking missiles didn't work was because they were designed to shoot Soviet planes down over Germany, not over hot humid jungle

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
having a pleasant dinner with my sister and her friend and out of nowhere the friend starts ranting about the social credit system and saying china got kicked out of the international space station for espionage and i just scratch my head thinking where does a hacker read this stuff that they wouldnt instinctively mistrust on literally any other topic

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KomradeX posted:

I remember the excuse for why that first generation of heart seeking missiles didn't work was because they were designed to shoot Soviet planes down over Germany, not over hot humid jungle

It's the AIM-7 Sparrow that didn't work, at least not at the beginning. The F-4 Phantom originally didn't have a gun because the ldea was that missiles would render guns obsolete. They eventually put guns back.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/hmarston4/status/1458030473230249996

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/ChinaEmbOttawa/status/1458227907130630144

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/WilliamYang120/status/1457889277056978949

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

#StillWithHer #ItsHerTurn #NeverthelessShePersisted

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

She's suborbital if you loving launch her

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/palafo/status/1458301481019486211?s=20

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol the footnotes in the report are just links to news articles and zenz. tho I guess it’s a useful collation of western media reports on xinjiang at least

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
you see claims are rightfully judged by their kneejerk emotional impact instead of their factuality

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

reading this section of "The Box", a couple of thoughts came to mind:

* ports are already largely owned by private interests, so this thing where people panic over a "Chinese debt trap" is not really an anomaly

* because of the economics of Western hegemony and neocolonialism, the Global South's ports remain(ed) underdeveloped

* and in that light, B&R is actually good, because it's the project that can absorb the massive infrastructure costs of developing a port in countries and regions that might not be able to build one out by themselves

* and it wouldn't even be out-of-line/beyond-the-pale for such projects to be financed the way they are, because any other way of doing it outside of B&R would involve either taking out loans from the IMF, or having private corporations do it, which is arguably an even greater undermining of national sovereignty

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol the footnotes in the report are just links to news articles and zenz. tho I guess it’s a useful collation of western media reports on xinjiang at least

did they quote the western media report saying the genocide is over but everyone is still living in fear?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqhLO3SRyXU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PeterMartin_PCM/status/1458314638962139136?t=q4KbESnH53idmlloqM_5Ow&s=19

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Hmmph that might be a challenge when they are completely oblivious to the ground sentiment on Afghanistan this year

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/PeterMartin_PCM/status/1458316302725132296?t=ZJnG6YUu8TSYuwesqmIzzA&s=19

evil xi's authoritarian anti-corruption measures crushing the freedom loving Chinese entrepreneurs :qq:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Is the complaint here that it is harder for the CIA to bribe people?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

crepeface posted:

https://twitter.com/PeterMartin_PCM/status/1458316302725132296?t=ZJnG6YUu8TSYuwesqmIzzA&s=19

evil xi's authoritarian anti-corruption measures crushing the freedom loving Chinese entrepreneurs :qq:

wasn't prepared for them to just openly complain that it's too hard to spy on China

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

i love this constant stream of articles about how china is so weak and cowardly and craven their economy is going to crash any day from corruption! also china is the most dangerous of foes, equal to nazi germany and they are scheming to take over the world and we need to stop them at all costs
shift in the propaganda line since "china is strong and powerful and therefore dangerous" inadvertently gives the wrong impression from the D.C. beltway standpoint since they don't want people to go with the strong horse. so now it's "china is weak and cowardly and therefore dangerous."

you can literally watch hudson institute videos where they fuss about this to each other
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkQJ1Viqo8M

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 11:02 on Nov 10, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

It is a bit of an omission that the US was probably bribing Soviet officials across the 1980s.

——

Yeah, China is powerful when they were relatively weak and now weak and cowardly when they are powerful but they are always dangerous and untrustworthy.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 11:15 on Nov 10, 2021

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Orange Devil posted:

hard to bribe when:
the CIA itself is hideously corrupt
any corrupt CCP central govt bigwig, if they exist, won't risk their comfortable standing for CIA chump change anyway

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Palladium posted:

hard to bribe when:
the CIA itself is hideously corrupt
any corrupt CCP central govt bigwig, if they exist, won't risk their comfortable standing for CIA chump change anyway

Also, it isn’t very compelling to start working for the losing side when you can just stay loyal and do relatively well for yourself.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ardennes posted:

Also, it isn’t very compelling to start working for the losing side when you can just stay loyal and do relatively well for yourself.

If I'm the CIA guy in charge I would just embezzle the bribe cash while claiming the target didn't honor their side of deal

Continually

gotta also love 99% of the replies is him talking to himself

Palladium has issued a correction as of 11:36 on Nov 10, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Palladium posted:

If I'm the CIA guy in charge I would just embezzle the bribe cash while claiming the target didn't honor their side of deal

Continually

They probably beat you to the punch on that one.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Palladium posted:

Continually

I would do this and then also make up a syndrome so I get enough free time to spend all that money.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Ah you have to put some effort in, create a complex web of fake sources and sub-sources for all that untracked cash to disappear into, some crumbs of real information to pass upstairs to keep your bosses hanging on for the day of the Big Payoff, while also getting your bugout route and nest egg set up for when it all falls apart. Classic stuff

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

gradenko_2000 posted:

reading this section of "The Box", a couple of thoughts came to mind:

* ports are already largely owned by private interests, so this thing where people panic over a "Chinese debt trap" is not really an anomaly

in a current journal of commerce article it talked about more foreign private ownership of American ports. for example two separate Canadian pension funds own some ports in the USA.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cookie Cutter posted:

Ah you have to put some effort in, create a complex web of fake sources and sub-sources for all that untracked cash to disappear into, some crumbs of real information to pass upstairs to keep your bosses hanging on for the day of the Big Payoff, while also getting your bugout route and nest egg set up for when it all falls apart. Classic stuff

nice theory

except the bosses are also in the cahoots

sonatinas posted:

in a current journal of commerce article it talked about more foreign private ownership of American ports. for example two separate Canadian pension funds own some ports in the USA.

So this is another "don't blame me because I was forced to sell to foreigners by my greed"?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

It's the AIM-7 Sparrow that didn't work, at least not at the beginning. The F-4 Phantom originally didn't have a gun because the ldea was that missiles would render guns obsolete. They eventually put guns back.

f4 "no gun" debacle is probably the only reason even the stupid f35 still has a gun

unfortunately (much like doing anything else in an f35, tbf) shooting the gun kills the engine lmao

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/jameshohmann/status/1458051550304219136

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
AFAIK the other issue was that the F-4s were put under Rules of Engagement that prohibited them from firing missiles until they had visual confirmation of the target aircraft, which wasted a lot of the beyond-visual-range capability of their missiles