Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yall are being kinda mean. i get that hyberolic anger and everybody has a chuckle at the sillyposts is the vibe you're going for but it's kinda looped around to just being mean and unpleasant instead of silly and fun

i like to play my nintendo switch in the bath tub. where is your favorite place to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Oxyclean posted:

incredibly weird to not want to be able to make that choice after you paid.

imagine mass effect sold "Tali" and "Garrus" editions.

Corrected for a more accurate comparison

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Buddy I'm chilling at meeting while you write stuff like this on public spaces lol. It could be a quote and it went over my head in which case I apologize for not saying source your quotes

Bleck posted:

People want to make sure they have enough bootlicking on their resume for when the Zuck Gundams descend on humanity to quell all of the filthy commies

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Andrast posted:

no i was too busy telling people that Bulbasaur is the coolest starter

:hmmyes:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Martman posted:

Personally I would not care at all

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

where is your favorite place to play?

in bed, podcast on, Doom on switch, ooh baby

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

KingSlime posted:

Buddy I'm chilling at meeting

Yeah dude we get it, we're all very impressed about how little you care about the thing that you keep posting about,

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
So....you don't get it. The point is that your posts are really bad!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

incredibly weird to not want to be able to make that choice after you paid.

imagine mass effect sold "Male shep" and "Fem shep" editions.

Nintendo saw this and did not adopt this strategy.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Games where you can’t catch :wooper:

Red/Blue
Ruby/ Sapphire
Leaf green
Black
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
Sun/Moon
Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Tara looks cooler

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

hatty posted:

I simply make the choice at the store before purchase

Swords are cooler than shields so you buy Sword

The loser friend / younger brother can play Shield with the mad catz controller

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

:hmmyes:

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
At least those two versions of DQM had certain story differences. I think that's the only time I bought both games.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Andrast posted:

Tara looks cooler

she is

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I played my friends Tara's version once and I could not get over the fact that Cobi was speaking after 80 hours of him being a silent protagonist in my file

I think the 3DS remake lets you choose between either so further proof that Nintendo stays losing

E: yep! Both versions were integrated into the remake. I played it with an English patch but couldn't remember if I had to download a specific version or if it was an all in one, looks like it was the latter. Highly recommended if you have a 3DS!

https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_Monsters_2:_Iru_and_Luca%27s_Marvelous_Mysterious_Key

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 10, 2021

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

hatty posted:

Games where you can’t catch :wooper:

Red/Blue
Ruby/ Sapphire
Leaf green
Black
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
Sun/Moon
Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee

A shameful list

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Upon review the differences between those two are also pretty small apparently. I thought a lot of dialogue changed at least, but it's pretty minimal actually.

I'm the sucka!

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Waffle! posted:

Wasn't there a Golden Sun or something on 3DS that unlocked the alternate version after you beat it?

I think that was one of the Fire Emblems. But I think it was like, pay for the other version as DLC for the version you bought at retail, and THEN you get the real third game unlocked after you finish them both? It was something dumb either way.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The loser friend / younger brother can play Shield with the mad catz controller

I got Shield specifically because it was the less popular one and figured that would make it slightly easier to trade for version exclusives.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Hrist posted:

I think that was one of the Fire Emblems. But I think it was like, pay for the other version as DLC for the version you bought at retail, and THEN you get the real third game unlocked after you finish them both? It was something dumb either way.

It was $80 total for the three games of Fire Emblem: Fates on 3DS. Now, you can debate if the quality of those three games was worth it, but you did get reduced costs on the other two games if you bought one and all three were pretty different games.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah Fates has a lot of issues due to scope creep but by that same token they did actually make all of it. You paid normal game price for one version and its respective campaign, then the other two were $20 DLCs.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

GreatGreen posted:

I played the new Mario Party game last night.

For some context, I'm trying to get :smug: ~*~my wife~*~ :smug: into video games so I thought this could be a good game for that. I've never played it but I know people who have and they recommended it as an obvious choice for a lighthearted party kind of thing. We set it up so it was her and me against two CPU players set on Easy just to mess around. Started playing on Yoshi's island or whatever the level is called.

We were having a great time right up until the very end of the game. In the board game, there's a mechanic that can randomly swap all stars and coins between any two random players. Not either stars or coins, but "Player A gives all of their stars and all of their coins to Player B in exchange for all of Player B's stars and coins. Two turns before the end of the game, where my wife and I had both earned a good amount of stars and coins as I was helping her out with mini games and figuring stuff out, and we were kind of clobering the CPU characters, this happened to my wife. A CPU character landed on a special event spot where that character has to roll to determine two random characters to swap a random collection of their resources. The dice was rolled and boom. The situation was Character C landed on that spot and rolled dice such that that my wife's character had to trade all of her stars and coins (like, 3 stars and 90 coins) with CPU character D, who had played the whole game poorly and had literally 0 stars and like 3 coins... two turns before the game ended, leaving my wife's character coinless and starless, and the "Easy" CPU character sitting with tons of resources.

Can anybody explain to me how this mechanic doesn't invalidate literally the entire game?

At that stage of the game, you're literally trading your entire game's progress with somebody else. It's not even internally consistent. What is the point of even having a board game format that tracks stars and coins and whatever else at all if there's a mechanic that just randomly swaps literally every resource owned by one character with another character with literally nothing either character can do to influence it? So you spend the entire game playing well and racking up points and there's only one or two turns left in the game? Guess what? gently caress you! This other character landed on a spot so now everything you have done for the entire game goes to that other character who sucked at everything and has nothing, and there's nothing you can do about it, and you have no time to make up any of it. Have a great day!

So I'm honestly asking, why does the board game part of Mario Party exist at all if it's just chaos and nothing matters and anybody's points can go to anybody else at any time because gently caress you? I realize I'm getting more annoyed than I should but I was excited to be able to play video games with my wife, and I think this poo poo has put her off them for a good while, and I don't blame her. Why would anybody play any game with a "progress" system if out of nowhere, without warning beforehand, it can just be completely invalidated at any time with no ability to influence it?

So, yeah. Sorry for blowing up, but based on this event alone I'm saying the game sucks, is bullshit, and shouldn't be played by anybody.

I'm way back in the thread but felt like reminding everyone of this. Nintendowned.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
fire emblem fates: 2.5 different games
pokemon: different mons, sometimes different gyms and npcs
dragon quest monsters: different mons
mega man battle network: different bosses, special forms, and chips
robopon: different starter and mons

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Motto posted:

Yeah Fates has a lot of issues due to scope creep but by that same token they did actually make all of it. You paid normal game price for one version and its respective campaign, then the other two were $20 DLCs.

that's pretty cool IMO. i bet they'd make a lot of money if pokemon games had a dlc like that. on the other hand, it kinda seems like if gamefreak sips from the money faucet that is DLC they'll go full EA on it and suddenly you can only get pikachu as a $5 download. i'm talkin out of my rear end on that ofc but thats still kinda how it feels

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Fates had only one good version and you could ignore the other ones, very pro consumer.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

GreatGreen posted:

So I'm honestly asking, why does the board game part of Mario Party exist at all if it's just chaos and nothing matters and anybody's points can go to anybody else at any time because gently caress you?

I'm struggling to think of a board game that doesn't work this way, to be honest.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hrist posted:

So there was no *real* version of Fates. After the first or second mission, you have to make a choice which version to play. If you wanted to play a version that wasn't the one on your cartridge, you had to pay $20 per campaign (which was half off of the $40 paid for buying one version). To my knowledge, the only version with all three games on the cartridge was the Limited Edition, which cost as much as buying all three versions together.

Fire Emblem Fates treated each campaign as a distinct game, each one with drastically different design philosophies and stories. Birthright was intended to be an "easier" title meant as an entry point and had a "world map" of sorts so you can go back and replay missions and grind if you wish. It's sort of a throwback to Fire Emblem 2. Conquest was the "hard" one, where basically each move counts and you could not replay missions and each level lead right into the next one, with no world map or anything like that. Revelations was meant to be a sort of combination of both. There are things revealed in each version that you would not know if you hadn't played the others.

The writing of Revelations and Conquest were extremely bad though Conquest is agreed to have some of the best gameplay in the franchise. Overall Fates was a failed experiment. But in the end, they were three distinct games that shared a cast and setting. Three Houses in comparison, you'll be replaying the same missions until the time skip and even then they're mostly the same, just different sides.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

The writing of Revelations and Conquest were extremely bad though Conquest is agreed to have some of the best gameplay in the franchise. Overall Fates was a failed experiment. But in the end, they were three distinct games that shared a cast and setting. Three Houses in comparison, you'll be replaying the same missions until the time skip and even then they're mostly the same, just different sides.

Also Revelation is horrid and should never be touched by anyone, it has no redeeming factors

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Youtube is removing the ability to dislike something
Now Nintendo is able to operate without limits! Without the dislike number how will Nintendo know when fans are mad. Nintendoomed

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Relevant Tangent posted:

I'm way back in the thread but felt like reminding everyone of this. Nintendowned.

That mechanic exists to teach children an important life lesson: no matter how much work you put in the powers that be can take it all away from you.

Never actually put any effort into your job because the second you need to take time off or fall ill they'll fire you and cancel your insurance.

75% of marriages end in divorce.

Non-smoking fitness nuts get hit by cars.

Life is misery and chaos and death is the reward.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
For sure dude also shin megami tensei V comes out in two days

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

That mechanic exists to teach children an important life lesson: no matter how much work you put in the powers that be can take it all away from you.

Never actually put any effort into your job because the second you need to take time off or fall ill they'll fire you and cancel your insurance.

75% of marriages end in divorce.

Non-smoking fitness nuts get hit by cars.

Life is misery and chaos and death is the reward.

what

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I think he's saying he's going to go the chaos route or whatever equivalent there might be in smtv

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hatty posted:

Now Nintendo is able to operate without limits! Without the dislike number how will Nintendo know when fans are mad. Nintendoomed

Nintendo put the hit out

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

KingSlime posted:

I think he's saying he's going to go the chaos route or whatever equivalent there might be in smtv

What is Super Mario TV

I can't find anything about it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The divorce rate has dramatically plummeted because Gen Y tended to not marry right out of high school the way boomers did. Probably far less domestic abuse too.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

hatty posted:

nintendo stays winning

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Hrist posted:

That's the one I was thinking of :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

What is Super Mario TV

I can't find anything about it

Man I have been so hyped for SMTV but this is more or less the reaction I have gotten from a few Gamer friends when I mentioned it at a recent happy hour :smith:

A few of them are pretty big fans of persona too