Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
alright i tried using an older version of pcsx2 and it got past the black screen. 100% an emulation regression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Colonel posted:

well either pcsx2 has some strange issue that was introduced and went unreported in the last ten years or my iso of digital devil saga is broken because it 100%, consistently, without fail, every single time, black screens after the cutscene leading into the final boss and no setting, no graphical plugin, no bugfix, no anything i change fixes it. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
I think someone either in this thread or the retrogames thread mentioned at one point that the newest nightly versions of PCSX2 have done away with the plugins system and are more stable because of it, maybe try that if you haven't already.

Otherwise you're probably going to have to conjure up a new perfectly legal DDS disc to make yourself an iso of.

E: ^^^ Never mind.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

goblin week posted:

As someone who has a mom this feels like a weird complaint to me but I’ll bite. What is the German name for Aries? And also what do you think is the distinction between english names and latin names of zodiac signs

To your last question, no idea. I'm not playing Astria Ascending in English, so I can't comment on the English translation qualities. :v:

The German name for Ram is Widder. And yeah, overall this complaint is fairly minor, but I'm the kind of idiot who needed to pick up half a dozen Zodiac-coins in FFIX before going "wait a minute, these faux-latin names sound kind of familiar..." so just in case someone doesn't know the Zodiac, I went for it. That complaint was for you, my imaginary friend!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Commander Keene posted:

I think someone either in this thread or the retrogames thread mentioned at one point that the newest nightly versions of PCSX2 have done away with the plugins system and are more stable because of it, maybe try that if you haven't already.

Otherwise you're probably going to have to conjure up a new perfectly legal DDS disc to make yourself an iso of.

E: ^^^ Never mind.

yeah i've generally been staying up to date with pcsx2 versions but this is the second time that unexpectedly bit me in the rear end instead of making things work better. it happened earlier in the year with drakengard 1 where it turned out modern releases of pcsx2 are somehow incapable of rendering the dragon when it reaches level 3 and instead just place caim sitting still and motionless in the air. never would've figured to try it if i hadn't dealt with that issue before

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ngl Caim wide-stancing over a whole city is some powerful energy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

That's not a bug, that's from Ending J where Caim finally forsakes violence and achieves oneness with the universe. The world still blows up, but hey, whaddya gonna do?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I'm about 10 hours into Scarlet Nexus on gamepass and I'm considering whether to keep playing.

The environments are really bad, the combat is getting really repetitive and I'm not sure the character progression systems are going to alleviate that. The story makes zero effort to establish the setting and immediately thrusts you into some kind of civil war between factions I don't recognize and motivations I don't understand. Any kind of momentum the game gets going on the basis of interpersonal drama or mystery is swiftly undone by the tonal whiplash of constantly returning to home-base where I'm having Persona hangout sessions at a cafe with someone who just tried to kill me.

I'm seeing suggestions that the game is ~25 hours long and that I might have to do a new game+ with the other protag to get the full story. Is this game just aggressively mediocre or does it pick up at some point?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Are you playing Yuito or Kasane?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It has some fun plot points and the combat does pickup a little as you make links with your allies and progress past certain points, but I'm not sure it would be different enough to suddenly click if you're not enjoying it now

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Junpei posted:

Are you playing Yuito or Kasane?

Yuito.

I'm not opposed in principle to having A and B routes, but obviously it's concerning when the gameplay is already feeling shallow and stretched thin.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yuito's story is really withholding with info, so I recommend people start with Kasane, which actually gets into the mysteries of the story much faster than Yuito does

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Scoss posted:

I'm about 10 hours into Scarlet Nexus on gamepass and I'm considering whether to keep playing.

The environments are really bad, the combat is getting really repetitive and I'm not sure the character progression systems are going to alleviate that. The story makes zero effort to establish the setting and immediately thrusts you into some kind of civil war between factions I don't recognize and motivations I don't understand. Any kind of momentum the game gets going on the basis of interpersonal drama or mystery is swiftly undone by the tonal whiplash of constantly returning to home-base where I'm having Persona hangout sessions at a cafe with someone who just tried to kill me.

I'm seeing suggestions that the game is ~25 hours long and that I might have to do a new game+ with the other protag to get the full story. Is this game just aggressively mediocre or does it pick up at some point?

If you aren't feeling it, drop it. The combat only very slightly improves later with more allies, but it's basically the same throughout the whole game. Probably my biggest complaint with the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

To anyone who is playing Blue Reflection 2, when you place the training dummy, beat the challenge as soon as you feasibly can. There's an entire optional combat mechanic locked behind it lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just to double check, before you drop Scarlet Nexus, did you unlock the node in the upgrade tree that lets you activate multiple ally skills at the same time? That one is so important to the combat being fun I'm astonished it's in the upgrade tree instead of being default

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

cheetah7071 posted:

Just to double check, before you drop Scarlet Nexus, did you unlock the node in the upgrade tree that lets you activate multiple ally skills at the same time? That one is so important to the combat being fun I'm astonished it's in the upgrade tree instead of being default

I mean, it's the game where you have to unlock being able to do an ukemi, so

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gotta unlock somethin'

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Mood

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

why is there a fourth root

A while back, but it's because there are four shakes so the fourth root cancels with the the fourth power when figuring the overall capture probability of four successful shakes (the "+1" part of "b+1" in the probability formula is incorrect). That makes the overall capture probability just a/255 and all the "b" stuff can be ignored. There's also a simpler form for a, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the meme.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just finished Chapter 3 in Blue Reflection 2nd Light. The second dungeon got moderately hairy towards the end because I didn't pack enough sandwiches, but once Hinako is in your party everything just gets wrecked. I don't think the last boss of her area even got a single hit in. Her reflector form also looks awesome but I guess that just comes from having First Game Privilege. The environments and music are real standouts here. I like the whole magical urban realist vibe and the heavy postprocessing effects actually help to convey the game's themes. They do such a good job in fact that all the dialogue just feels totally unnecessary, YES for the 100th time I get that the heartscape is an allegory for the liminal space between adolescence and adulthood you don't have to come out and say it all the time!! I also dislike that the game has already set me up on like 8 dates with big dumb Kokoro when I have eyes only for sassy, calm and tastefully dressed Rena.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Junpei posted:

Yuito's story is really withholding with info, so I recommend people start with Kasane, which actually gets into the mysteries of the story much faster than Yuito does

I'm almost at the end of Yuito's route and the point of the game where the two meet to compare notes was.. phew, what went down on Kasane's route sounded way more exciting to the point where I'm thinking that splitting the routes up was a gigantic mistake

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MechaX posted:

I'm almost at the end of Yuito's route and the point of the game where the two meet to compare notes was.. phew, what went down on Kasane's route sounded way more exciting to the point where I'm thinking that splitting the routes up was a gigantic mistake

I think a woven story where you change perspectives on the same playthrough probably would have worked a lot better and would have let them cut down on padding a lot. It also would have let the player interact with the whole cast without having to do the incredibly stupid and awful "we tried to kill each other this morning and we're on opposite sides of a civil war but now we're going to the Neutral Territory Bar to have tea and chat about our feelings before our scheduled 5 PM death duel rematch" thing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly playing as Kasane just annoyed me since being on the other side of the "I'm acting antagonistic to you for a reason, its a good reason but i won't explain or say why" trope actually is MORE frustrating since you KNOW what's going on.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Honestly I can understand it because "I ran into a version of you from the future who told me that I had to kill you to stop the apocalypse from happening, and he also told me that there's no other solution despite him spending his entire life trying to find one" is a pretty tall order for someone to swallow, and even if Yuito believed Kasane if she told him, the proposed solution to the problem is, you know, his violent death.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Honestly playing as Kasane just annoyed me since being on the other side of the "I'm acting antagonistic to you for a reason, its a good reason but i won't explain or say why" trope actually is MORE frustrating since you KNOW what's going on.
Oh geez, the game has Bravely Default Syndrome?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my real problem with scarlet nexus is that doing new game+ doesn't unlock any more of the story or a different ending. while doing a route you eventually learn the broad strokes of what happened on the other route, and also the final third or so of the game unites the cast. the support conversations are different, but the supports aren't super interesting in this game to begin with.

also, kasane at least has a bunch of psychic visions of scenes that flat out are not in the game and are never explained or mentioned.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was playing scarlet nexus but it was just kind of boring. Combat was really constrained and the story felt like it was told real badly (I picked the boy) and there just wasn't much to it. Game Pass content that was perfect until some good games body slammed my attention away

Edit: The boy protagonist is completely and utterly blase to suddenly missing huge amounts of time he can't account for

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I stumbled onto a steam comment explaining you could change up portraits in Under Aura by swapping files around using Unity Asset Bundle Extractor so I guess I know what I'm doing this week.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Watching SMT V opening right now. :smug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Final Boss of Undernauts is like a vertical difficulty cliff compared to all that came before. Actually have to have some kind of "strategy" and "use items"

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa
The Final Boss of Labyrinth of Refrain was like that too. It's just prepping you for the post-game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Astria Ascending VI: The Undiscovered Temples

Not much to report! After last time, we learned that Alec has some serious daddy issues and made our final assault at Twin Temple. In a dumb twist, even after multiple chapters trying to reach the flying city of hiding chaos cultists failed, because we'd need to fly to another nearby island to reach it but the game instead send us back home.

Afterwards all missing temple dungeons were unlocked and a deluge of sidequests descended. We had to beat up a cancer masquerading as a bunny (solid troll, devs AA+++) and currently I'm stuck just before the final cutscene ending that dungeon. (I'm stuck because as time goes on, AA-dungeons get more and more puzzly, and this current puzzle has me stumped for now.)

There's really no story to speak off in this section, since the writers had this brilliant idea to make the current goal still "reach that flying city, you fucks" but also "visit the temples and gain summons". The sidequests and their little stories are the only story-progress in this part of the game.

I don't know what happened here, did the writers realize too late the Zodiac has twelve signs and didn't actually fit their story as written? We made it through about 1/3rd of the Zodiac before the writers ran out of steam, this is amazing in its incompetence. :allears:

Anyway, this will take a time. The dungeons itself are now shorter, but filled with hard enemies and puzzles, so my progress has slowed down a lot. Also of course, the sheer number of dungeons I have to clear before the main story progresses is in itself an obstacle. I fear when SMTV drops tomorrow Astria's Ascension Game will have to take a backseat for a while.

Technical Issues

There was suddenly a barrage of crashes flooding in here in chapter X, but coincidentally another patch showed up shortly after losing 1-2 hours of progress due to cumulative crashes sending me back time and again, and since then the game runs better.

The patch didn't fix the display glitches in combat and shops, alas.*

We have now reached a part of the game where the game both expects us to power up immensely, but also gives us the same amount of SP per battle (roughly 1 enemy = 1 SP, as far as I can see. Occasionally you get more for some arcane reason, but often times not, 3 annoying enemies give as much as 3 piss easy ones), while at the same time all the low-SP "easy" nodes are now used up, except for some of the weakest ones. On average, we get a range of 3-8 SP per battle, while the average of node costs has reached a hefty 80-100. As the enemy party compositions have grown ever more inventive, this leads to the interesting conundrum that fighting 10 battles for a minor skill upgrade is slowly getting less awesome, simply due to the sheer timescale involved in fighting all those puzzle battles.

On the other hand, if I ever get the feeling I'm stuck skill point wise, I guess I can just go to the flaming fields, a dungeon with enemy groups of up to 8-10 enemies, and all vastly below the party's power curve now. Easy SP. The great stat orb grind I did turned out to be mostly pointless, as the growing SP-costs of nodes did what I expected and now I have a growing stash (28 currently) of stat orbs I can't use because there is just too much expensive poo poo left in the skill trees to use them.

Writing issues:

I'm not sure to count this as a technical issue, but whatever: Some of the NPCs give out quests based on your character's rank and status, and this is system is rather flexible since you have so many possible combinations of classes to choose from. I then suddenly ran into a NPC giving out quests for our summonr only after I unlocked the 3rd class (subclass) for her. The same NPC gave a quest for summoners in the beginning, but totally ignored Alassa after she became a chronomancer, so I assumed another NPC would deal with that quest or that there wasn't any. Cue my surprise when I added white mage as a subclass and the NPC suddenly had a 2nd tier quest ready. And that she totally ignored my summoners actual class, instead pretending Alassa was a white mage only!

What this tells me as both a writer and a player: There are some class combinations this NPC-quest system obviously didn't account for. So now we have this very funny situation where the white mage quest is done by a character who isn't a white mage, while our actual healer stands around doing nothing in each cutscene. :allears:

Overall, this game turned out toe quite the trainwreck. The sad part is, it's still basically a fun game to play, despite its issues. Thanks to the writers taking a day off and the other devs just continuing to cram more dungeons in, the game is also a lot longer then I expected, and after marathoning AA for 29 hours I'm feeling kind of exhausted. I'll definitely continue hacking away at it, however!

*It did fix an odd bug where a certain passive skill keeping you alive with 1 HP after death would proc 100% instead of proccing 30% of the time. I accidentally abused this when I found a treasure chest filled with a shitton of stuff and money, sealed with a scripted troll fight. This fight was a bunch of beefy magic casters, with a guaranteed surprise attack, enough speed to always go first, and the first enemy was scripted to use an AOE-skill to give the entire party a weakness against their AOE-main spell. Which was followed by a wave of 5x massive damage to all characters, while you could just sit back and watch the massacre. Due to the above mentioned bug, I finally managed to make a party/passive skill composition where dark knight Kress survived alone, and then used an expensive item to full revive everyone. Then we beat the smug bastards to a pulp. (Said treasure chest also included 2x the exact same very expensive mass revive item, so the devs clearly planned for the player to use it.)

An interesting fight. As a little bonus another character had passives which should have been enough to also make her survive through the starting spell barrage, but her passives were bugged to never proc at all. I have't checked yet, but I hope the devs managed to also fix her passives while plugging the accidental eternal life bug!

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 11, 2021

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

Watching SMT V opening right now. :smug:

gently caress having so many games in my backlog right now lol

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

On the other hand going down Kasane’s route and having her go “god that was stupid why am I like this” after basically every instance of that was both comical and weirdly true to life.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/HilltopWorks/status/1458907963960147986

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Astria Ascending VII: The One Where Kirk Dies

A short addendum: Ha ha ha ha nope, those new dungeons aren't short, I just missed that the Cancer Temple I was stuck in had an entire second half. :suicide:

I forced my way through, through another sidequest and then I learned that sometimes, to reach a dungeon you have to go back into R-Type mode. gently caress! And of course apparently every dungeon from here on out is a huge Rube-Goldberg-like contraption filled with puzzles. And hard-rear end nails enemies. And nearly zero story, just fighting and puzzle solving, with an occasional shmup-level thrown in. This game is a mess.

To come back to the R-Type like levels of flying and shooting energy bullets at horrific monstrosities, the shmup-levels are generally a) easier as normal R-Type baseline, since you have like 10 HP before going down and b) balls-rear end hard since all enemies obey the weak/neutral/resist/immune-gimmick of your normal fights and you have to switch between four different attacks on the fly.

I guess this is another huge troll on the player, because I'm guessing the overlap between people liking shmups and people liking RPGs isn't terribly large. Must suck getting stuck, never able to reach the next dungeon, because the game suddenly switched genres. :v:

Conclusion:

OK real talk, this is the kind of game I would design, filled with immense dungeons, tons of hard fights, weird genre-switches and as many player trolling as I can make fit. It amazes me that the devs of Astria Ascending apparently read my mind and created a game that's so perfectly attuned to my psyche. It's kind of creepy, actually.

Well, take this as a warning, if you like convoluted puzzles, long dungeon crawling, shmups, intricate nonsensical game mechanics wrapped into intricate nonsensical story, this game is still fun. If you don't like all of these elements, be aware the game will grab you at the back of your head and smash you into whatever you didn't like, because there will be a lot of it. If you still like this mess, just save every ten seconds, because the crashes are back, baby! Also good lord, after 30+ hours of constant playing I now really need a break.

Fake edit:

Barudak, you're playing mostly RPGs, right? What did you think of the shmup-elements of AA? Did you even get that far? I for one was mightily surprised to suddenly having to play Gradius to continue. Luckily I happen to like shmups, but I assume not every RPG-fan has the same brain damage I have. :shepface:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Libluini posted:

Barudak, you're playing mostly RPGs, right? What did you think of the shmup-elements of AA? Did you even get that far? I for one was mightily surprised to suddenly having to play Gradius to continue. Luckily I happen to like shmups, but I assume not every RPG-fan has the same brain damage I have. :shepface:

If you're a JRPG fan and you don't expect to suddenly have to do something from an entirely different genre to continue are you really a JRPG fan?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nice

My only real complaint from the prologue patch is that the map is completely unmarked and I got into six hundred random races while trying to find where I should go but I'm sure someone's got an annotated map out there I can glance at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Libluini posted:

What did you think of the shmup-elements of AA?

no joke thought this meant ace attorney for a second and was sitting here going 'what the gently caress goes on in great ace attorney'