Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Obeah posted:

The Alphabet of Manliness

that book sucked rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

with only an embarrassing 555 views i think we can stop asking why he died

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I could be mistaken but I think watching other people play games on YouTube and Twitch sort of evolved from Lets Plays on SA, right? Did any community online really have a dedicated area to watch other people play games? I could be mistaken but I am not aware of any?

I sometimes wonder if Lowtax saw it that way and felt cheated on not becoming a zillionaire when a concept started on SA later made metric assloads of money?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

He will never peep dat chickencheese again.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

Having been around here for over 20 years now, I feel genuinely bad. Poor guy did a lot to contribute to the internet culture of the 2000s but had no business sense and had to watch multi million dollar offers pass him by as he drifted into obscurity and everyone could see this coming…

I remember when “there’s a front page?” wasn’t a joke and thank him for the laughs. RIP to a real OG

Yeah I've been a member over 20 years and read the site and forums prior to that, yet I don't have much articulate to say. Just holy poo poo, this feels weird.

Say what you want about Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka, and there is plenty, but I feel bad for his kids.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

TomR posted:

I never did post much. I don't really have anything to say.

Never let that stop you

:justpost:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

atomicthumbs posted:

i evolved from "high-volume forums poster without close friends" to being this online and making a ton of queer friends and honestly it rules. I'm having a much better time

The only thing more odd than recognizing people from the forums on twitter is recognizing people from Twitter on the forums.

Cute dog though

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jesus, talk about a blast from the past. think i just had a dissociative event.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

FilthyImp posted:

SHE ASKED FOR THE GTR THE B**CH!!!!

honestly i can breathe better with whiskey up my nose

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
gently caress I'm getting old. How long have I been here?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm watching "The 100-foot Wave" about big wave surfing right now, maybe Lowtax died while surfing a giant wave.

He would have died doing what he loves.

Kim Bong Chill
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Luneshot posted:

bizarre to learn that like two-thirds of the furries on my twitter timeline are also SA alumni

Goons are closet furries news at 11

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Obeah posted:

I remember you.

2006. Portland, Oregon. I flew out to a book signing you were doing at a bookstore (finally done in by covid last year, something I have just discovered while looking it up). The line was actually around the block. Dozens of other internet weirdos like me. There to see you, meet you, hear you say something absurd and funny. It's cold and miserable and rainy and my cousin has a migraine and wants to find something else to do. But I insist. I want to wait and meet you. You'd been there for me since I truly, meaningfully discovered the internet. Shaped my sense of humor into something unique and special. Made a little part of my life - well, if not brighter, at least funnier. So I waited for you.

The line was very long. The bookstore should have been closed by the time I got to you. But you had waited, too. You were clearly exhausted, bags under your eyes, an energy drink long since emptied on the corner of the table. You did your best to hide it. You signed my book with a clever rip on Seanbaby, you noticed my Skynet t-shirt and talked to me about James Cameron more than the people behind me probably would have liked, you told me we could hang out if I ever attended any kind of internet get together. You were nice and funny and far more gracious than I would have been.

2009. Chicago, Illinois. My friend Randall and I drive four hours to hang out with you and other people from the internet. The tide had already started turning on you at this point. The group is a quarter the size it would've been just a few years ago. I'd had reasons to hesitate. In certain circles, your internet persona was allegedly overtaking your actual personality. Your brazen snarkiness no longer just a means of communicating your wit.

But I didn't find that to be the case. We had sloppy Venezuelan steaks and got mildly drunk together. We spent no less than half an hour talking about Zardoz and then, moving on to more personal things, adolescence, the way the internet was changing, the way we were both starting to feel like dinosaurs. Relics. You were a human being, I discovered. Someone who felt things in a way that couldn't be reflected in a simple MSPaint review of M. Night Shyamalan's Signs.

2020. The Internet. The turning tide is now a tsunami. You've said some stupid things, done some stupid things, you've potentially given yourself covid out of either sheer stupidity or dedication to a failing comedy bit... And I feel self-conscious. For liking you, for finding you funny, for maybe even spending time with you. You've shown your rear end for the whole world to see. The book you signed for me almost a decade and a half ago eventually finds its way into storage. I don't really want to think about you at this point, and I ending up finding myself rarely in that position anyway. Not consciously, at least.

But I can't deny it. You are at the nexus of a million tendrils that have influenced so much of my life. Not just my sense of humor, but the people I've met, the things I've wanted to do (and some I have!), and on some fundamental level, the very way I live.

Knowing that you're gone hits hard. It's the ultimate sucker punch. I never consciously thought of this day coming, but I also didn't realize how much I'd still care when it did.

Lowtax, you were so much. An rear end in a top hat. A comedy legend. The pro-internet superstar. A human. And I'll keep remembering you.

Now excuse me, my gooners, but it's time to break that copy of The Alphabet of Manliness out of storage and give it a good read.

:goonsay:

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

qnqnx posted:

get a room

the room block is full

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Diogines posted:

I could be mistaken but I think watching other people play games on YouTube and Twitch sort of evolved from Lets Plays on SA, right? Did any community online really have a dedicated area to watch other people play games? I could be mistaken but I am not aware of any?

I sometimes wonder if Lowtax saw it that way and felt cheated on not becoming a zillionaire when a concept started on SA later made metric assloads of money?

lowtax didn't have anything to with that and deserved neither credit nor reward for the concept's eventual popularity

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

rip

I never interacted with him

goodnight

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Diogines posted:

p much yes

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
he never did raise taxes; i'll give him that. and nothing else.

Crate!
Nov 4, 2005

I am posting in a thread about a dead person.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Endorph posted:

He had a child support ruling against him for 92.5k + 2.5k/month 2 days ago

:ohno:
This is purestrain Lowtax if it's true.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I was shown the front page when I was on a trip to Baltimore in 1999 and got into the forums in 2001. I still like it a lot here and poo poo I definitely post a lot still, but honestly I haven't thought of lowtax in months and months. This place is great despite his poo poo. Bye, dude.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

i never said the flirting was bad, ;)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Diogines posted:

yeah this is what happened, sucks kinda

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Korean Boomhauer posted:

the room block is full

man i can never get the con hotel... do you know how much it sucks to walk three blocks in fullsuit in pittsburgh summer? sheesh

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
:jackbud:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

atomicthumbs posted:

lowtax didn't have anything to with that and deserved neither credit nor reward for the concept's eventual popularity

If you open a workshop and someone else builds a bench, you didn’t build the bench, but you did create space for the bench to exist

https://twitter.com/zoomerbread/status/1458630100983943170?s=21

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Endorph posted:

He had a child support ruling against him for 92.5k + 2.5k/month 2 days ago

at least he died doing what he loved, killing himself to dodge responsibility for the abuse he instigated

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

:nws: leaked (disturbing) footage of rich "lowtax" kyanka's untimely demise, may flights of angels sing him to thy rest

Pablo Fanques
Jul 25, 2004
What a shame Mary Jane had a pain at the party
Coming out of the woodwork to get a reply in one of the first hundred pages.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
imagine losing your divorce hearing yesterday.
some dipshit, could be anyone, filed a FOIA showing you abused your wife.
with a history of grooming and hurting people.
and being so butthurt about it that you off yourself.
but you wrote a note first

for real. burn it.
or post it in FYAD.

but i'd just burn it.
what a shell of a man. and i can't wait to desecrate that grave.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Man was looking like an even sketchier Dr Jacoby from twin peaks at the end there. Rough

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

If you open a workshop and someone else builds a bench, you didn’t build the bench, but you did create space for the bench to exist

https://twitter.com/zoomerbread/status/1458630100983943170?s=21

hbag is too young to be eligible for dunking on lowtax :colbert:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Diogines posted:

Let's Plays were kind of inevitable after streaming video became not poo poo

just like how inevitably some cave-dweller was going to roll their turd into a ball and get an idea for how to move meat to the cave faster

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

RIP lowtax

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
This can't be right but I just saw someone saying he got snapped up in a Murphy bed??

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

Posting in the death thread

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we get it, you die

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/stevanzetti/status/1458162566132289547

This is somehow related to this man's life. RIP

Adbot