Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Hey, I know some of you are getting near 30. If you want to hang out there for the weekend, I can run some teaching raids for anyone that is interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lorem ipsum posted:

Hey, I know some of you are getting near 30. If you want to hang out there for the weekend, I can run some teaching raids for anyone that is interested.

Cool, what time would that likely be?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Cool, what time would that likely be?

You tell me, anytime between 1pm - 2am EST is fine for me this weekend

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lorem ipsum posted:

You tell me, anytime between 1pm - 2am EST is fine for me this weekend

Cool, probably be on late-ish tonight- how long do they take? I finally hit 30, probably want to grind out a few more legendary ravenloft items too

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Cool, probably be on late-ish tonight- how long do they take? I finally hit 30, probably want to grind out a few more legendary ravenloft items too

Depends on the raid but between 20min-1hr. I figure we just do one of the shorter raids that doesn't require flagging.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

Depends on the raid but between 20min-1hr. I figure we just do one of the shorter raids that doesn't require flagging.

I didn't feel great today - i'm planning on doing raids @ 9:30 EST tomorrow - if you get on at like 9 I can help you flag for the ones we are doing

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lorem ipsum posted:

I didn't feel great today - i'm planning on doing raids @ 9:30 EST tomorrow - if you get on at like 9 I can help you flag for the ones we are doing

Cool I had something run late anyway. I probably won't be on until 930 or so but if it's Ravenloft I've done that in heroic and almost done it all in epic. I'll probably have time in the morning to run a few as well

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 7, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Cool I had something run late anyway. I probably won't be on until 930 or so but if it's Ravenloft I've done that in heroic and almost done it all in epic. I'll probably have time in the morning to run a few as well

Yea - you just have to have finished the full saga on either heroic or epic. A quest giver should appear in Blood on the Vine Tavern that gives the quest for the curse of strahd raid. If he doesn't appear, make sure you have gotta for the quest reward for every quest in ravenloft, then relog a couple times.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
The Isle of Dread is confirmed as the next major expansion sometime next year. I don't know anything about the setting or any other details yet.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Planning out adventure packs to run this life, and noticed that afaict getting enough favor for falconry requires doing the demon sands raid- is that feasible to get a pickup group for at all?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Planning out adventure packs to run this life, and noticed that afaict getting enough favor for falconry requires doing the demon sands raid- is that feasible to get a pickup group for at all?

Normally yes, but currently no since the whole sands area is currently closed

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

How far out of your way do you have to go to hit 5k favor in a life for the +5 tome? I'm only second life so the full XP penalty hasn't kicked in yet and idk if it requires lots of grinding or just being selective about which quests to run.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

How far out of your way do you have to go to hit 5k favor in a life for the +5 tome? I'm only second life so the full XP penalty hasn't kicked in yet and idk if it requires lots of grinding or just being selective about which quests to run.

I'm three lives in and going from 15-30 mostly R1 with no repeats gets me like 1.5-2k I think? 5k has got to be near full completion on elite/reaper

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
5K is a lot. The best way to do it is to get to 30, put on a bad movie, and go and run though all the quests in the game for 0 xp. I think the game has something like 7k favor? but a lot of that is raids and other annoying to solo stuff.

e: elite gives max favor, reaper doesn't get you anything more ^

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 11, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

K thanks, I got like 2.5k first life- admittedly not running the most efficient routes and i did have a XP tome, but i was avoiding doubling up on epic quests. I guess I just won't sweat it too hard then.
Also, what's usually discounted on the black friday sale? I was planning on picking up the expansions I missed there but Sharn gear is looking tempting, just don't wanna miss out on a steep discount or something.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So how freely do people use augments when leveling? It seems like the only real way to get them reliably is remnants or gianthold, and there's not a good way to remove thrm

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

So how freely do people use augments when leveling? It seems like the only real way to get them reliably is remnants or gianthold, and there's not a good way to remove thrm

I was wrong earlier, turns out you can unslot them using a jeweler's toolkit. I pretty freely using trash augs - heroic level bonuses like damage, fortification, +1/+2 stats. I just horde everything else. The one thing I suggest is using a heavy fort aug on a reaver's ring so you can get early fear immunity and crit immunity in a single slot.

Also, using a featherfall aug on feywild boots usually makes sense.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Early hardcore league info: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/528218-Question-about-next-Hardcore-season?p=6480265&viewfull=1#post6480265

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

got enough points to get sharn but i'm halfway through 17, can't decide if i should get it now or leave it for epics (or perhaps just suck it up and wait for the black friday sale, though idk if it's discounted)

PMB
Oct 30, 2002

Moist and Delicious
Having fun so far on my first life. Have enough xp to hit level 14 but holding off until i either hit cap or I finish off the ravenloft saga, what ever comes first.
Also rogue hirelings suck. They only seem to point any danger when I've already triggered the inevitable fatal trap. Slave lords was absolutely brutal.

Jorgos Nuuh
Dec 28, 2004
Pröööööt
I guess the other rogue hirelings have different AI than Frogo, the Saltmarsh gold seal one? Frogo has been really useful for me. Or perhaps I remember where the most of the traps are and I'm automatically more careful around them.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

PMB posted:

Having fun so far on my first life. Have enough xp to hit level 14 but holding off until i either hit cap or I finish off the ravenloft saga, what ever comes first.
Also rogue hirelings suck. They only seem to point any danger when I've already triggered the inevitable fatal trap. Slave lords was absolutely brutal.

Soloing slave lords is not something I’d ever recommend, that place sucks and when you die it’s a ton of time lost. That era of quest design is awful in general, just tons of enemies.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

got enough points to get sharn but i'm halfway through 17, can't decide if i should get it now or leave it for epics (or perhaps just suck it up and wait for the black friday sale, though idk if it's discounted)

Yea, thats a rough decision. I can't really help you there - I do run sharn more often in heroics than in epics. If you aren't planning on staying at cap, sharn gear isn't really necessary.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Hardcore news:

Next month's hardcore will be a repeat of the HC1 rewards. Bloody footprints is a notable reward

News from the weekly livestream:

-Apparently, DDO's master server is 32 bit. They are undertaking a project to upgrade to 64 bit as an initial step to a megaserver/server merge
-Isle of Dread is coming in the spring with a raid and a level cap increase
-Big patch tomorrow to address lag
-They hired a few customer service people to deal with the increase in players
-They hired 3 new engineers
-All engineering resources right now are working on addressing the lag
-They are going to do something address the fact that r10 got a lot easier with U51. This will likely either take the form of more reaper levels or more customizable reaper settings
-Psionics are never coming to DDO
-Something about customizable hirelings idk

Patch notes for tomorrow:

https://www.ddo.com/en/update-511-release-notes

All closed areas are being reopened

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Looking for some advice on destinies for khopesh/shield bear druid. I'm thinking Dreadnaught main for dire charge and the mantle, then probably dip into Grandmaster of Flowers for stun DCs and then uh Unyielding Sentinel I guess? Open to suggestions though.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Looking for some advice on destinies for khopesh/shield bear druid. I'm thinking Dreadnaught main for dire charge and the mantle, then probably dip into Grandmaster of Flowers for stun DCs and then uh Unyielding Sentinel I guess? Open to suggestions though.

Yea, I think Dreadnaught and Fury are the primary contenders for T5 abilities as a bear. Dire charge is going to feel really good so I think your instinct is correct. As far as more offbeat options go, GMoF t5 in order to get everything is nothing, split the soul, and flurry of blows could be interesting. I'm told its possible to generate enough ki while uncentered to use that stuff. You could also look into fatesinger t5 for turn the tide and cut the strings.

Unyielding is going to be a great secondary tree no matter what you do

e: You could also drop a couple points into primal or exalted angel to pick up even more healing. Regeneration from druid and renewal from US will be a lot though.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 19, 2021

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Can I get a guild invite? And do I need to be online to actually get the invite? Chevellemhk is my level 3 Barbarian's name and swinging a two-handed axe while humming DOOM music is my game.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

MH Knights posted:

Can I get a guild invite? And do I need to be online to actually get the invite? Chevellemhk is my level 3 Barbarian's name and swinging a two-handed axe while humming DOOM music is my game.

Sent you an invite should be in your mailbox.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I don't understand the progression in this game. You get to level 20 and/or multiclass? And there are epic levels and stuff?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

You get to level 20 by taking levels in the main classes- either pure one class or up to 3 in total. (So like this life I just took 20 in druid but last one I was 12 rogue 6 fighter 2 barbarian). Once you hit 20 you get generic "epic levels" that have a similar but slightly different progression- access to new feats, different universal enhancement trees. That takes you to 30. You can reset a 20 character to 1 or a 30 character to 20 (or 30 to 20 then 1) and do it over again for stacking benefits based on your race or class

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

StashAugustine posted:

You get to level 20 by taking levels in the main classes- either pure one class or up to 3 in total. (So like this life I just took 20 in druid but last one I was 12 rogue 6 fighter 2 barbarian). Once you hit 20 you get generic "epic levels" that have a similar but slightly different progression- access to new feats, different universal enhancement trees. That takes you to 30. You can reset a 20 character to 1 or a 30 character to 20 (or 30 to 20 then 1) and do it over again for stacking benefits based on your race or class

Any clue/link how this will be affected by increasing the level cap? That’s soon, right? I hope I’m not getting my mmo’s mixed up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

DerekSmartymans posted:

Any clue/link how this will be affected by increasing the level cap? That’s soon, right? I hope I’m not getting my mmo’s mixed up.

I haven't heard the details but afaik the idea is to add more epic levels- they overhauled the destinies (epic enhancements) recently and left room for more levels.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

DerekSmartymans posted:

Yeah, they were supposed to start doing Legendary levels this year, but I think when they really started to work on it, realized that the Epic level system was going to get in the way. So they just recently did a complete overhaul of the Epic levels (20-30) to get ready for the Legendary levels (30-40).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Willias posted:

Yeah, they were supposed to start doing Legendary levels this year, but I think when they really started to work on it, realized that the Epic level system was going to get in the way. So they just recently did a complete overhaul of the Epic levels (20-30) to get ready for the Legendary levels (30-40).

Neat! I got caught up in RL complications and wasn’t able to join up yet, although I did get the free adventure pack and all caught up on the client and newest patches! Probably jump in mid-December if everything shakes out!

Is paying for VIP sub still the best way to 1) unlock gnome, 2) unlock Vistani knife because I like starting new rpgs as able to hide and sneak well, even if bad at it early and Assassin Rogue seems best for this, and 3) maybe unlock the higher-point cost beginning char option with points (I’m up to paying cash for 32-pts, but not an exorbitant amount if cash-only; rogues often benefit from a few “extra” points for Con or Int and I’m not paying EQ or WoW anymore for a long while).

Ten Bux still on Argonnessen? I’ll drop a post before playing a lot, but are there any really good links for Assassin rogue complete DDO newbs? I’ve played AD&D 2nd for decades, but don’t know the rule differences in this game’s mechanics’ basis. Any common knowledge is great, but I enjoy story-wise being fairly spoiler-free.

Can’t wait to play with y’all, but I’ll get expansions later if I like the game. VIP is sufficient to start with some points in case I enjoy it like I do TTRPGs in general!

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

Neat! I got caught up in RL complications and wasn’t able to join up yet, although I did get the free adventure pack and all caught up on the client and newest patches! Probably jump in mid-December if everything shakes out!

Is paying for VIP sub still the best way to 1) unlock gnome, 2) unlock Vistani knife because I like starting new rpgs as able to hide and sneak well, even if bad at it early and Assassin Rogue seems best for this, and 3) maybe unlock the higher-point cost beginning char option with points (I’m up to paying cash for 32-pts, but not an exorbitant amount if cash-only; rogues often benefit from a few “extra” points for Con or Int and I’m not paying EQ or WoW anymore for a long while).

Ten Bux still on Argonnessen? I’ll drop a post before playing a lot, but are there any really good links for Assassin rogue complete DDO newbs? I’ve played AD&D 2nd for decades, but don’t know the rule differences in this game’s mechanics’ basis. Any common knowledge is great, but I enjoy story-wise being fairly spoiler-free.

Can’t wait to play with y’all, but I’ll get expansions later if I like the game. VIP is sufficient to start with some points in case I enjoy it like I do TTRPGs in general!

So, VIP unlocks gnome, but you have to unlock vistani by playing the ravenloft quests (you can unlock ravenloft with an hour or so of playtime right now) or with 495 points in the ddo store (20ish hours of play).

Yes, we are on Argo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z71uM-erxc is likely your best rogue primer. Almost noone ingame actually uses the stealth system but the implementation of it is fairly complex. Monsters have a line of sight (based on obstructions, clouds, ect), a listen ability, various levels of alertness and some other stuff.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

If you get ravenloft, and you should, vistani can be unlocked by just running it all on elite. In terms of mechanics, the basic guts of it all are just 3.5e- probably the biggest difference being that spells are limited by a mana pool, although the mana pool only recharges at periodic rest shrines to keep the Vancian flavor. But each class also has access to enhancement trees (like Vistani) which are similar to classic MMO skill trees; though they're still working on the same core mechanics. (For example the druid bear-focus tree gives them access to barbarian rages and a bunch of benefits while raged) This means that just straight adapting builds from tabletop to game isn't gonna work, though most of the mechanics will be familiar.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the info! Aren’t expansions (which Ravenloft is one?) able to be acquired with points? I know VIP has points as perks, as I would rather unlock via time than money because I have a lot more of one than the other 🙄. I plan on mostly solo, not anti-social or a dickhead just not always able to finish a time commitment due to RL caregiver duty. I hate doing that to people who already set aside time to help and make friendly with a new human being! Something that isn’t always the case in online games with an established player base (PUGs in WoW can be nightmarish).

Thanks again!

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the info! Aren’t expansions (which Ravenloft is one?) able to be acquired with points? I know VIP has points as perks, as I would rather unlock via time than money because I have a lot more of one than the other 🙄. I plan on mostly solo, not anti-social or a dickhead just not always able to finish a time commitment due to RL caregiver duty. I hate doing that to people who already set aside time to help and make friendly with a new human being! Something that isn’t always the case in online games with an established player base (PUGs in WoW can be nightmarish).

Thanks again!

Yea, they are. Ravenloft is on sale until the end of the year for a very small number of points. You get points at a reasonable rate from playing the game or you can buy them. Ravenloft is 99 points and you will get 100 points in like the first hour or 2 of playing.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Lorem ipsum posted:

Yea, they are. Ravenloft is on sale until the end of the year for a very small number of points. You get points at a reasonable rate from playing the game or you can buy them. Ravenloft is 99 points and you will get 100 points in like the first hour or 2 of playing.

Ok, neat! One of the reasons I wanted to sub at least to start was the fact that you get points with VIP, and I haven’t been to look at the store recently (because I wasn’t able to start quite as soon as I hoped) but that free adventure coupon was a nice addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

Ok, neat! One of the reasons I wanted to sub at least to start was the fact that you get points with VIP, and I haven’t been to look at the store recently (because I wasn’t able to start quite as soon as I hoped) but that free adventure coupon was a nice addition.

IMO the main perks of VIP are being able to open all quests on elite as a first life character, getting access to some races, character slots, and bank+gold storage