Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I guess I'll understand it when CeeDee Lamb flames out in four years after bankrupting himself with uniform fines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Never been the same since it came out he was in to poo poo play.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I’m sure he can find someone to indulge that for him in his private life, he doesn’t have to do it on the field.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I for one love that OBJ became this glorified super WR all because he posterized the Dallas Cowboys defense

in a game the Giants lost

EDIT: I'm certain I've already said this. It's just....still the weirdest goddamn thing. OBJ didn't make the helmet catch in the Super Bowl, he didn't clench a playoff game, hell--he didn't even secure a win! He just made one cool catch once and the world lost its mind.

it wasn't just because of a catch lol he was really really good on his first years and broke the record for "fastest WR to reach x reception or yards" like three times IIRC

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
OBJ was legitimately incredible from his rookie year in 2014 until he shattered his ankle in early 2017 (in the same game where Sterling Shepard and Brandon Marshall (lol) also got hurt and the season was basically over in a flash). Fun fact about that is his ankle was first injured in the preseason of 2017 thanks to a dirty tackle by a Browns end of roster DB. Then he looked good in his return 2018 and even put up 1000+ yards, but the team was so awful that he was mostly known for his weird ESPN interview and basically forcing his way out.

Anyway now it’s 3.5 years later and he clearly still has talent, the question will always be fit. I think he can succeed wherever he goes, but he can just as easily flame out again. That’s my Odell take thanks for reading

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What are his stats pre/post Boatgate.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What are his stats pre/post Boatgate.

That was prior to the 2016 Wild Card game, so everything from 2017 and after in this post:

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

OBJ was legitimately incredible from his rookie year in 2014 until he shattered his ankle in early 2017 (in the same game where Sterling Shepard and Brandon Marshall (lol) also got hurt and the season was basically over in a flash). Fun fact about that is his ankle was first injured in the preseason of 2017 thanks to a dirty tackle by a Browns end of roster DB. Then he looked good in his return 2018 and even put up 1000+ yards, but the team was so awful that he was mostly known for his weird ESPN interview and basically forcing his way out.

Anyway now it’s 3.5 years later and he clearly still has talent, the question will always be fit. I think he can succeed wherever he goes, but he can just as easily flame out again. That’s my Odell take thanks for reading

To go a bit further on the Giants in general, their offensive line was a massive problem then. They were still trying to force Ereck Flowers to be a left tackle with little support and he clearly wasn’t suited to that, while noted TFF favorites like Marshall Newhouse, Bobby Hart, the aging husk of John Jerry, and others got significant snaps on the line in those years. They couldn’t run block at all, and their pass blocking was barely any better, so seemingly all the Giants did was run quick slants and similar short passes because Eli was often under pressure on even those plays.

Odell could make those quick passes into something special, but it wasn’t really sustainable and the front office did little to help. The 2014 and 2015 teams had good passing numbers (They’re two of Eli’s best seasons) but the line got worse and worse, and their defense was terrible those years. In 2016, the team was carried by the defense playing out of its mind and a bunch of free agents, but after that, it all fell apart. Ben McAdoo’s play calling once he became head coach wasn’t good, overly relying on 11 personnel and just terribly designed running plays with a bad offensive line, and got worse in 2017 when the defense wasn’t among the best in the league. As mentioned, OBJ was never healthy that season, but came back in 2018 and looked mostly okay before being traded the following offseason.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Oh hell cut him sooner :smug:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Kind of figured Darnold was solidifying his future as a high end backup this season, but woof. He's cratering towards sub-UDFA rookie.

https://twitter.com/CTowersCBS/status/1458309780007706624?s=20

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

He made 30 million dollars to "play football" and now gets to go sell insurance at his alma mater or whatever.

Maybe Sam is smarter than all of us.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

don't draft usc or ohio state qbs

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Alaois posted:

don't draft usc or ohio state qbs

USC at least had Carson Palmer within our lifetimes and, from a pure comedy stand point, Mark Sanchez.

Ohio State on the other hand :yikes:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

No Butt Stuff posted:

He made 30 million dollars to "play football" and now gets to go sell insurance at his alma mater or whatever.

Maybe Sam is smarter than all of us.

Matt Flynn is the all-time winner of the low effort QB career. He ended up making $59K per pass attempt over a 9 years in the league for a total haul over $21M.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

man it feels like yesterday when the Seahawks got their QB of the future in Matt Flynn but drafted another QB just in case...

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

fsif posted:

Kind of figured Darnold was solidifying his future as a high end backup this season, but woof. He's cratering towards sub-UDFA rookie.

https://twitter.com/CTowersCBS/status/1458309780007706624?s=20

I think GM's are broke brained enough that he will still get a cushy backup job somewhere.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

:itshappening:
https://twitter.com/jonmalexander/status/1458811702510817284

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Next they’ll try to coax Ted Ginn out of retirement as well.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

fartknocker posted:

USC at least had Carson Palmer within our lifetimes and, from a pure comedy stand point, Mark Sanchez.

Ohio State on the other hand :yikes:

Fields is Ohio State and seems to be trending towards good

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The absolute shitstorm if this signing doesn't happen...

Nov 6, 2002

If I were Cam I'd jump on this opportunity immediately.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

This might be the worst offensive line he's played behind though, and that says a lot. I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to get involved with that again.

Selfishly, of course, I want him to come home.

Nov 6, 2002

RumbleFish posted:

This might be the worst offensive line he's played behind though, and that says a lot. I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to get involved with that again.

Selfishly, of course, I want him to come home.

I dunno. Feel like the whole country is watching and will second guess him if he doesn't pounce.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Qwijib0 posted:

Matt Flynn is the all-time winner of the low effort QB career. He ended up making $59K per pass attempt over a 9 years in the league for a total haul over $21M.

And he won both collegiate national championships AND a Super Bowl.

The life.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I mean if Drew decided to come back for the last 8 games I'd jump too, so go for it Cam.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
i wasnt watching football at the time but what happened to cause Cam to leave in the first place

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I dunno. Feel like the whole country is watching and will second guess him if he doesn't pounce.
He's had no other prospective offers this year as far as I'm aware so if he passes, he's basically in the retirement tier scrapheap.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Relentlessboredomm posted:

i wasnt watching football at the time but what happened to cause Cam to leave in the first place

Injuries made him very bad. It's actually depressing, even as an nfc south rival, to see how much of a shell he is of his former self.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i really think that if the panthers could have drafted Sewell, or maybe taken Slater (which obviously looks worse since he's balling out and Horn got injured, though he looks like a stud), and solidified the interior of the line, and gotten a little luckier with injuries, he could have been league average. I really thought this was a wildcard team with the way the defense was playing and he was able to manage the offense. And really, before the eagles game, he only had one bad quarter against the cowboys. He was stepping up in the pocket, he looked comfortable, he was throwing good balls, the whole nine.

Once CMC went down and defenses started heavy blitzing and sitting on the routes, he has just fallen apart. And to make matters worse, theyve had new oline injuries every single week, and the players they're trotting out there right now are not starter caliber. Brady isn't a competent enough playcaller to work around it, and even if he was they might not have the linemen to execute anything. Whatever it is, Sam is done. I know every AFC East fan was licking their chops waiting for him to regress, but he looks like a completely different player now than he did the first month of the season. He looks worse than clausen.

I don't mind the money; it's not real in the NFL and Tepper is a poo poo zillionaire. I'm also not even that upset about the cap space. The panthers won't be stopped from doing anything in 2022 by their cap number, and that's before the eventual shuffling of various contracts and extensions.

The 2nd round pick hurts. But that coupled with the extension sort of show the panthers were really convinced they could fix him. If he turned out to be a Tannehill like reclamation, it looks good. Obviously it looks terrible now. I see the argument about not picking up the option then just tagging him if you have to, but that money is about the same. Obviously if he played well this year he'd probably be getting a new contract regardless.

the panthers organization under tepper has put a major emphasis on mental health and wellbeing. They have multiple in house psychiatric and psychologist. Looking back now it sorta seems like they were trying to boost him up. They really kept him on a short leash in the preseason, they extended his contract, they might have over traded for him. They didn't add a veteran backup so he never had any reason to look over his shoulder. On one had it's admirable that they care about that kind of thing, but on the other that's not the type of player you need to be investing in, especially at the QB position, especially when the offensive line is more a philosophical concept than actual players.

i am overall happy with rhule and fitterer. They've built a very good, young defense in short order. Phil snow seems to be acclimating well to the NFL, and has shown marked improvement in his second year. I really like what Fitterer has done with the defense, and how he has addressed the secondary. I think the Panthers understand what the NFL is now and have positioned themselves well in a relatively short time period.

However, they really swung and missed on the offense this year. They've overemphasized the weapons and have ignored the offensive line. Best case scenario, the offensive lien is on the lower end of average this year. It doesn't matter how good the WR or RB are if there's no one to block. And even though Sam was their third choice, and they did everything they could to avoid getting to that, they mishandled it.

I do think Brady is gone though. He hasn't shown me anything at all. And even this year, like last year, he was struggling in the end zone. They just covered it up this year with a bunch of Darnold keepers, and that's eventually what's gotten him hurt....if we believe that.

The season is over for the Panthers and it's a shame. CMC looks like he's damaged goods, and you're losing a cheap year of a dominant defense. Looking forward, I really think their best move is throwing everything at the offensive line and trying to get a veteran, even if it's just someone that can run the offense for a year while they try to find an answer at QB. I would not be surprised to see them trade some big names from the offense, like CMC or Moore. Panthers have good young WR/RBs who are cheap, and they need picks.

https://twitter.com/jonmalexander/status/1458811702510817284?s=20

Cam deserves so much better than dying behind this line. I do not want this.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Cam had some injuries that neither Rivera nor he dealt with appropriately. New regime came in and Cam had not been healthy in 2 seasons. They wanted a fresh start, and Hurney went out and got Bridgewater.

Cam is almost certainly washed at this point.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Just letting you know I got the joke even if no one else did

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

this is loving shameful

https://twitter.com/josephperson/status/1458820052321542146?s=20

he cannot have success here. The pieces aren't in place to protect him. You're trotting him out there to put fans in the seats.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Diva Cupcake posted:

He's had no other prospective offers this year as far as I'm aware so if he passes, he's basically in the retirement tier scrapheap.

Its a SB joke OP

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, the Patriots were just abusing the Panthers oline, they lost their center on the first play... it'll be ugly for Cam.

That said, Darnold kept escaping the pressure and throwing the most garbage rear end passes imaginable, so maybe Cam can just chug for 4 yards instead on those plays and that'd be a monumental upgrade.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

Just letting you know I got the joke even if no one else did

:hai:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Cam deserves better. But anything is better than Darnold at this point

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

Yeah, the Patriots were just abusing the Panthers oline, they lost their center on the first play... it'll be ugly for Cam.

That said, Darnold kept escaping the pressure and throwing the most garbage rear end passes imaginable, so maybe Cam can just chug for 4 yards instead on those plays and that'd be a monumental upgrade.

If recent history is any indication, he'll be able to scramble and either get caught by a LB or throw it into the turf in front of CMC's feet

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

bows1 posted:

Its a SB joke OP
Shameful. I should have known with NC-17.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Tim Whatley posted:

But anything is better than Darnold at this point

There’s room for decline!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'd be floored if $cam didn't immediately take the first offer from carolina. His ridiculous antivaxx attitude, playing like absolute poo poo ever since leaving, and getting flushed down the toilet in preseason for a rookie is exactly why he has gotten absolutely nothing until now. He has no other option to get back to the nfl until begging to be a training camp body for someone next year.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Asproigerosis posted:

I'd be floored if $cam didn't immediately take the first offer from carolina. His ridiculous antivaxx attitude, playing like absolute poo poo ever since leaving, and getting flushed down the toilet in preseason for a rookie is exactly why he has gotten absolutely nothing until now. He has no other option to get back to the nfl until begging to be a training camp body for someone next year.

$cam is a bit harsh he was an honorable opponent who recognized the mighty hooves coming down upon him and yielded at the appropriate time. True nobility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Randy Gregory out for weeks with calf injury.

I am going to blame weed somehow