Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This judge needs to get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1458828119834517508?t=-D6g0vcW2L5Sg-SbJAZdnA&s=19

The court system can be very weird.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

This judge needs to get hosed.
Yeah, I mean I get Judges doing things like that, but he should have then just said a standard, thanks for attending, without calling specific attention. Granted empty handed thank you for your service poo poo is the worst, but I know some do it without that intent and are just trying to be polite (not giving him the benefit of course). Actually thanks to you guys I learned that honestly most vets don't want and/or need to hear it.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Tell me he's walking without saying he's walking lol

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I'm tired, I'm just so damned tired

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I feel like just days ago the liberal and legal (but I repeat myself) online take on the Rittenhouse case was that it was all normal and fine.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Having had a family member kill themselves in their office and leave the corpse and mess for the immediate family to find, this has me feeling a few ways about this. Also I have a somewhat real suicide attempt under my belt.

I’m disappointed, like the poster above said, that he didn’t stick around for his kids. This has done more harm than almost anything he could do. I feel for them and hope they make it out ok.

There are a myriad of ways to be a bad parent and gently caress up your kids, it’s hard to be a good parent. This is the one, that short of some truly heinous poo poo, will hurt them the most though. Because half the work of being a parent is done by literally just being there. Even a below average dad who just shows up is doing something.

I know that when you are doing your attempt your brain is not functioning correctly. A functional brain will not allow itself to purposely end its own life in anything but the most extreme circumstances. So ascribing things like “selfish” and “cowardly” to him don’t quite work. The actions when viewed after the fact are selfish and cowardly, especially for a parent. But looking at it as an in the moment thought process, I feel for him it is a miserable place to be.

It’s a sad end to a sad story. He was a deeply unhappy person that did terrible things to the people around him, and in his final act caused irreparable damage to the people he had a responsibility to care for.

I guess I wrote this out because it hit home in a lot of ways and I don’t like to see the coward and selfish stuff thrown around. While it is technically true of a rational actor, people that are able to overcome every hardwired instinct to stay alive to complete this are not rational actors.

Make no mistake, this is not a defense of lowtax but more a defense of the guys I was in with who have offed themselves. Because lowtax’s actions in life showed he was a selfish coward.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's only the entrance to the rabbit hole. There's a whole article about the man who wrote the memo, John McEntee, who was appointed as head of the Presidential Personnel Office at the start of 2020 and rapidly used and abused the office to purge everyone who showed even the slightest hint of disloyalty towards Trump:

https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/1458047776407818242?t=fL-2bv4vsJXfPoil1knIsA&s=19

Is that detail about John Kelly’s gambling new? I don’t recall hearing about it, and Google searches yield nothing

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone that is defined as a "use of force" expert has to be some sorta grifter.

That could just me being naturally suspicious of anyone in the "punch/kick/grapple/shooting" sports saying they're competent in anything that isn't putting a "punch/kick/grapple/projectile" on target.

Like if someone at my grapplesports gym told me the sky was blue, I'd have to go outside and double check to make sure I'm not being sold something dumb.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I am sad for Lowtax's kids, who are surely traumatized by this, and for his exes who have to clean up the mess and are probably re-traumatized themselves. I am also sad for his parents, even though they seem to be reacting in an unhealthy way by blaming LadyAmbien. Even if it's true that they were enablers, nobody should have to bury their kid.

I'm even a little sad for him, because who knows what was going on in his head during those final moments.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Defenestrategy posted:

That could just me being naturally suspicious of anyone in the "punch/kick/grapple/shooting" sports saying they're competent in anything that isn't putting a "punch/kick/grapple/projectile" on target.

Like if someone at my grapplesports gym told me the sky was blue, I'd have to go outside and double check to make sure I'm not being sold something dumb.

I imagine the State is going to bring in their own use of force expert to highlight many of the things that the prosecutor already touched on in his cross -> the prosecutor may also try to cross the use of force expert on why it was legitimate when thw defendant did "X" instead of "Y" but then you run into the possibility of them giving a good and convincing answer that the jury hears. I would imagine today's testimony and the expert's breakdown of what happened is going to be essential for Rittenhouse to avoid conviction.

Edit - if the expert has any good explanations for bad actions they are going to be brought out on direct - along with most likely some kind of marginally reasonable explanations for inexplicable bad acts. A good prosecutor will be able to pick up where the defense is weakest and divert their line of questioning away from discussion that bolsters Rittenhouse's self defense narrative.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 11, 2021

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Discussion Quorum posted:

who knows what was going on in his head during those final moments.

This is a setup, isn't it?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

McNally posted:

Booooooo

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McNally posted:

You coward!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Regardless of everything, Lowtax apparently blew through $400k since since he and lady A split deliberately so that she and his kid couldn't get any of it. It was a supremely lovely move before he died. Goons have raised almost $30k so far that's going to be set up for his kids.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Was there ever a final sale number on the website or is that what you're talking about?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Nick Soapdish posted:

I'm tired, I'm just so damned tired

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm even a little sad for him, because who knows what was going on in his head during those final moments.

Probably wondering how the hell Andy Dufresne ever got the best of him.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Best Friends posted:

I feel like just days ago the liberal and legal (but I repeat myself) online take on the Rittenhouse case was that it was all normal and fine.

The vast majority of lawyers are deeply committed to the belief that the legal system is fundamentally correct, even when "bad things happen," it's just the system working!
Reading CLS papers from the 70s, it seems like not a lot has changed and the issues they brought up are still ignored.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

McNally posted:

:catbert: :mcnally:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

Regardless of everything, Lowtax apparently blew through $400k since since he and lady A split deliberately so that she and his kid couldn't get any of it. It was a supremely lovely move before he died. Goons have raised almost $30k so far that's going to be set up for his kids.

My understanding is that his monies from the website were held in a trust managed by his mother, I would imagine those proceeds would be distributed or continue to be held for the remaining beneficiaries of the trust. Not sure anyone will be able to day definitively until his estate is settled

Stultus Maximus posted:

The vast majority of lawyers are deeply committed to the belief that the legal system is fundamentally correct, even when "bad things happen," it's just the system working!
Reading CLS papers from the 70s, it seems like not a lot has changed and the issues they brought up are still ignored.

this is 100% inaccurate with respect to the criminal defense bar in just about every state. Infact most of the attorneys I know in other fields would also disagree that the system is "fundamentally correct". Saying it works as intended is very different than asserting that its right

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 11, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grip it and rip it posted:

My understanding is that his monies from the website were held in a trust managed by his mother, I would imagine those proceeds would be distributed or continue to be held for the remaining beneficiaries of the trust. Not sure anyone will be able to day definitively until his estate is settled

Given how apparently his mother made sure to call Wife 2 and scream at her about how his death is her fault, i'm assuming that there will be trust fuckery and she will get all the money.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

CainFortea posted:

Given how apparently his mother made sure to call Wife 2 and scream at her about how his death is her fault, i'm assuming that there will be trust fuckery and she will get all the money.

If she was the trustee then there will be some significant legal grounds to contest an act like this. Its a tale as old as trust law and there are some pretty serious presumptions against the person managing a trust benefiting directly from it (beyond being compensated fairly for their services).

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Goddamn

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
JFC, what are our politicians becoming?
:
"House Democrats introduce resolution to censure Rep. Gosar
The Arizona Republican posted an altered, animated video that depicts him killing Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and swinging two swords at President Biden."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/09/politics/gosar-anime-video-violence-ocasio-cortez-biden/index.html

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
CVS Moderna booster experience was very easy. Schedule appt online, no wait in store, only questions asked were insurance card and proof of vaccination before getting the booster.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

:wow:

:five:

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Is that detail about John Kelly’s gambling new? I don’t recall hearing about it, and Google searches yield nothing

It wasn't John Kelly with the gambling winnings, it was McEntee that had that problem.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Defenestrategy posted:

No, there are actual use of force experts. It's just that a lot of people claim to be one when they're absolutely not.

The Active Self Protection guy is one. His videos should be watched by anyone who carries a firearm or wants to know self defense principles.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna go with premeditated and planned to cause the most hurt.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

JFC, what are our politicians becoming?
:
"House Democrats introduce resolution to censure Rep. Gosar
The Arizona Republican posted an altered, animated video that depicts him killing Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and swinging two swords at President Biden."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/09/politics/gosar-anime-video-violence-ocasio-cortez-biden/index.html

Ah yes surely this will teach them

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

stealie72 posted:

On a zoom where a woman is talking about her aid work in Afghanistan as it was collapsing and she had a brief aside about an interpreter in the crowd outside the airport who was waving a picture of Chesty Puller to get the Marines to get him inside the airport.

She didn't say if it worked or not, but [insert gif of guy tapping his temple and smiling here].

Eventually this is going to turn to what we can do locally to help refugees, but we get story time first.

....https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9962831/How-Afghan-families-American-ties-held-signs-scrawled-Chesty-Puller.html

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bored As gently caress posted:

No, there are actual use of force experts. It's just that a lot of people claim to be one when they're absolutely not.

The Active Self Protection guy is one. His videos should be watched by anyone who carries a firearm or wants to know self defense principles.

https://activeselfprotection.com/page-guidelines/

This may actually be one of the better rules I've ever seen for gun related discussion. I mean it's still cringe, but actually reasonable...well that or the bar is just so goddamn low. lol

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 11, 2021

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

https://activeselfprotection.com/page-guidelines/

This may actually be one of the better rules I've ever seen for gun related discussion. I mean it's a little cringe, but actually reasonable...well that or the bar is just so goddamn low.

I mean, it’s not completely terrible in isolation, but it definitely has a strong conservative slant, and that’s kind of the rub when you have people in power in the republican party who are basically dogwhistling the whole “free helicopter rides for communists” poo poo, or whatever john bircher retread poo poo that the q people are cooking up.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

mlmp08 posted:

CVS Moderna booster experience was very easy. Schedule appt online, no wait in store, only questions asked were insurance card and proof of vaccination before getting the booster.

We're still under the limited CDC criteria here, but I'm doing way more in-public, inside-a-room poo poo and my second dose just passed 6 months, so I booked the booster for tomorrow evening at CVS. There was a "you certify that you apply to the guidance" box to check, I'm hoping I don't get asked so I don't have to hem and haw about it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Problematic Soup posted:

I mean, it’s not completely terrible in isolation, but it definitely has a strong conservative slant, and that’s kind of the rub when you have people in power in the republican party who are basically dogwhistling the whole “free helicopter rides for communists” poo poo, or whatever john bircher retread poo poo that the q people are cooking up.

Yeah, it's one of red flags that pops up into my head, but then again at least their upfront lol But yeah it's always the question of what they're not saying, but thinking.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 11, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Problematic Soup posted:

Unfortunately people who slant liberal/left in the martial arts community tend to not do martial arts as their full time gig, especially in the "executive protection/self defense" world where it takes a certain mentality to have the right amount of paranoia, anxiety, and love of guns to consider it as a career. The best you can generally hope for is a dude who doesn't talk politics, but is uncomfortable going to walmart with out a strap.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 11, 2021

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

facialimpediment posted:

We're still under the limited CDC criteria here, but I'm doing way more in-public, inside-a-room poo poo and my second dose just passed 6 months, so I booked the booster for tomorrow evening at CVS. There was a "you certify that you apply to the guidance" box to check, I'm hoping I don't get asked so I don't have to hem and haw about it.

When I got mine at Ralph's you have to fill out a form where you check off why you want the booster, but nobody actually asks for an explanation or anything. One of the reasons is that you have a high risk of exposure due to your living or work situation, which is pretty much a catch-all that anyone can reasonably claim.

My booster symptoms were the same as after my second shot, just milder. Sore arm and aches all over the next day, which tylenol was able to take the edge off fairly well.

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

I did exactly this last Sunday, and was asked no questions at all, no issues. You’re a veteran is almost certainly a sufficient answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

N: The court order potentially sealing some of the documents from the January 6th Commission went through. They'll revisit 11/30.

V: :laffo:, nothing's going to come of this, is it? That fucker has spent an entire life dodging justice like The Matrix and it's going to happen again. :suicide:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Holy :aaa: