Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
San Andreas is on the GamePass so I guess I'll try it before sinking in the cash for the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

this is my unrealistic standard of beauty

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

This one's for you, Richard

reported for animal cruelty

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Vice City trip report:

It still owns. Nothing has fundamentally changed. I'm still launching into the air at random and my car is getting stranded on a tiny asset of some kind of debris. It's the exact same engine and weird bugs as always. Perfect.

As for graphics: they're not nearly as bad as the doomcryers say. Weather effects and explosions and all that are fine. But there are some BIZARRE character models. Skinny people look fine, but all the fat characters have such crazy proportions after being converted from low polygon lego brick people. Reflections on cars are gorgeous. No fog really helps the Vice City look.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Vice City trip report:

It still owns. Nothing has fundamentally changed. I'm still launching into the air at random and my car is getting stranded on a tiny asset of some kind of debris. It's the exact same engine and weird bugs as always. Perfect.

As for graphics: they're not nearly as bad as the doomcryers say. Weather effects and explosions and all that are fine. But there are some BIZARRE character models. Skinny people look fine, but all the fat characters have such crazy proportions after being converted from low polygon lego brick people. Reflections on cars are gorgeous. No fog really helps the Vice City look.

I suspect those of us, "tenored", gamers will be mostly OK with the graphics. However, with the internet as it is, the videos about how *AWFUL* the graphics are will get the most hits.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Animal crossing expansion is fantastic

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Vice City trip report:

How are loading times? Can you drive across the whole city like in San Andreas or does it still load halfway through?

Not that it matters, this all sounds great and first sale that comes along I'm 100% getting it. Is it possible to buy them piecemeal though? I'll probably just get Vice City for the moment then San Andreas eventually, probably not 3.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Woah, when did KOTOR come to the Switch??? Maybe this time I'll actually play more than an hour.

tensai
May 8, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

Woah, when did KOTOR come to the Switch??? Maybe this time I'll actually play more than an hour.

I'm excited to play it again. Or at least do what I've done multiple times on multiple platforms, play through tutorial area and then realize I hate the combat and move on with my life. Really a shame I don't like that game more. But I purchased, nonetheless.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

tensai posted:

But I purchased, nonetheless.

Strong thread title contender.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Finally, the Switch is a console worth buying
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1458850135971364864

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Imma switch twitcher like my pa and his pa before that

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Welp, that's the end of the Nintendo Switch I guess. It doesn't have any games to play, so now it needs owners to pay for NSO to watch OTHER people play games.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Thread is about to get way hornier

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

tensai posted:

I'm excited to play it again. Or at least do what I've done multiple times on multiple platforms, play through tutorial area and then realize I hate the combat and move on with my life. Really a shame I don't like that game more. But I purchased, nonetheless.

This is exactly what I did with KOTOR on Steam last year. A shame, because I have great memories of playing it.

Supposedly a full-on remake is in the works, but it’s PS5 exclusive at release. Maybe I’ll have a PS5 by the time it comes out, but I doubt it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

This is exactly what I did with KOTOR on Steam last year. A shame, because I have great memories of playing it.

Supposedly a full-on remake is in the works, but it’s PS5 exclusive at release. Maybe I’ll have a PS5 by the time it comes out, but I doubt it.

It'll be on PC

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only twitch I care about is dancer Stephen Boss

Justin.io stole his fuckin name and they should pay him millions of dollars

Edit: Oh wait also I like Amouranth cause I'm only human god drat

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 11, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Now I can watch my favorite ASMR ear-lickers on the bus with no headphones.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Happy Veterans Day to all the veterans of the console wars!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Mega64 posted:

Happy Veterans Day to all the veterans of the console wars!

*removes prosthetic leg to reveal it is a novelty Densha de Go! controller*

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I need some help.
I like Persona 5 but don't like finaly fantasy 7/8, disgaea, or bravely second because the combat is too minmax and convoluted. I'm also not super duper into anime, and Persona 5 was kinda right on the cusp of "this aint worth it", but I got through it and ultimately enjoyed my time playing it (though would 100% have enjoyed it more on switch).

Is SMTV going to be a good game for me? If not, what the gently caress else am I going to spend this voucher on? Advance Wars 1+2 is a long assed time away, and I finally feel too old for Pokemon (shield really hammered that home to me).
Is Bravely Default 2 as awful and boring as Second was? Incredibly grind + lovely story did NOT do it for me.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

watched a guy play about an hour of GTA trilogy (sections of each game) on the switch. Looks like it runs well enough. Guess I'll pull the trigger, though I may wait till the end of the weekend to make sure there's no super glaring terrible bugs.

I dislike not being able to just buy one or two of them, but the truth is, as someone who always wanted the original games and would go to friends houses to play them, it's fine to drop the $60 for the amount of game here, and for the nostalgia bomb. Having the ability to play some silly missions with updated controls, and then whenever I want to pick it up and do rampages on the go on my switch is totally worth it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Spiteski posted:

I need some help.
I like Persona 5 but don't like finaly fantasy 7/8, disgaea, or bravely second because the combat is too minmax and convoluted. I'm also not super duper into anime, and Persona 5 was kinda right on the cusp of "this aint worth it", but I got through it and ultimately enjoyed my time playing it (though would 100% have enjoyed it more on switch).

Is SMTV going to be a good game for me? If not, what the gently caress else am I going to spend this voucher on? Advance Wars 1+2 is a long assed time away, and I finally feel too old for Pokemon (shield really hammered that home to me).
Is Bravely Default 2 as awful and boring as Second was? Incredibly grind + lovely story did NOT do it for me.

smt is the same basic combat but harder and all the talking to your friends etc torn out so probably

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If Nocturne and IV are any indication, you will talk to your friends sparingly and usually they'll have a big speech about their ideology right before they turn into demon gods and you punch their faces into oblivion.

I just started SMTV but it'll probably be up your alley if you liked Persona 5 but felt it was too saccharine. Mainline SMT doesn't have that issue.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

KingSlime posted:

Thread is about to get way hornier

?

tensai
May 8, 2007

LionArcher posted:

watched a guy play about an hour of GTA trilogy (sections of each game) on the switch. Looks like it runs well enough. Guess I'll pull the trigger, though I may wait till the end of the weekend to make sure there's no super glaring terrible bugs.

I dislike not being able to just buy one or two of them, but the truth is, as someone who always wanted the original games and would go to friends houses to play them, it's fine to drop the $60 for the amount of game here, and for the nostalgia bomb. Having the ability to play some silly missions with updated controls, and then whenever I want to pick it up and do rampages on the go on my switch is totally worth it.

They are good. There's obviously some jank that's held over from the originals and some new jank caused by the AI upscaling on text.

GTA3 feels playable again with updated controls. It's fun to go back and see how simple the missions were in the beginning, though. It obviously was an evolution of the top down 2D games of old. I don't regret dropping money on it (twice because I also grabbed the PS5 version, but the switch version is for an upcoming trip....stop judging me, I shouldn't be allowed to manage my own money)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Junkie Disease posted:

Animal crossing expansion is fantastic

:yeah: All I'm missing is sugarcane, I have the other crops. :kiddo: Leif and Redd are on my Harv's island now....shooting for Cyrus and Reese next.

I'm grabbing the Happy Home DLC when I get paid next week!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Spiteski posted:

Is SMTV going to be a good game for me? If not, what the gently caress else am I going to spend this voucher on?
lol no

SMT is 90% minmax-y Persona combat, 10% atmosphere.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That was probably in reference to twitch, which aside from videogames has a lot of sexy men and women on it

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Minmax and Convoluted could honestly be the tagline for SMT

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

lunar detritus posted:

lol no

Stux posted:

smt is the same basic combat but harder and all the talking to your friends etc torn out so probably

These seem at odds so I am not any closer to figuring it out, dammit!

How min-maxy do you mean? I see the UI is a bit more involved, but does that mean that I have to manage a bajillion lovely items and limited duration buffs to even have a shot? Or would I get away with good party construction and abiltiy synergy in that regard? The former I loathe, but the latter is right on the money for me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Eh, you don't gotta worry about min maxing much. When you level up you get skill points. Just decide early on if you want to make a magic or physical character and focus putting your points on that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Just think of it as Persona without the heart.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

lunar detritus posted:

lol no

dont call smt combat person a combat its much better.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Spiteski posted:

These seem at odds so I am not any closer to figuring it out, dammit!

How min-maxy do you mean? I see the UI is a bit more involved, but does that mean that I have to manage a bajillion lovely items and limited duration buffs to even have a shot? Or would I get away with good party construction and abiltiy synergy in that regard? The former I loathe, but the latter is right on the money for me.

You Must Buff.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
buffing and debuffing, are cool

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what does minmaxy mean?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You don’t have to balance school life and dungeons if that’s what you mean by min maxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Buffing and debuffing are essential in SMT. You will get your poo poo knocked in if you don't.