Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm sure everyone on this forum knows because I've seen this conversation like ten million times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Xun posted:

I have met a lot of people who literally didnt know the Roma are not a fantasy Disney cartoon creation and that g*psy is a racial slur.
I would say that's pretty accurate to where I grew up (rural Virginia). No one ever mentioned Roma and nobody knew that like "The soda machine gypped me" is racist. Ravenloft was written by Tracy and Laura Hickman who, being Mormons from Utah and California, were probably just as ignorant. But the treatment of Vistani as quasi-aliens went on for like 20 years.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

Fat man goon here and I qualify for this and I'm not pregnant, why I don't even have a uterus!

But have you had a period? You could be pregnant right now!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Cthulu Carl posted:

But have you had a period? You could be pregnant right now!

Does bloody stool count?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Halloween Jack posted:

I would say that's pretty accurate to where I grew up (rural Virginia). No one ever mentioned Roma and nobody knew that like "The soda machine gypped me" is racist. Ravenloft was written by Tracy and Laura Hickman who, being Mormons from Utah and California, were probably just as ignorant. But the treatment of Vistani as quasi-aliens went on for like 20 years.

I remember a friend of mine legit thought it was "Egypt me," like the joke about the cheated Pharoah and the hollow pyramids.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Lone Goat posted:

some people's stomachs are like that when they're not pregnant

A guy that I used to know that had a really big beer belly always had a weird walk I felt I had seen before but just couldn't place. Then I saw him walk next to a pregnant woman and everything clicked.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Pondex posted:

Is there a shorter name for letting your fetishes turn you into a complete shithead?
“Republican”

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Xun posted:

I have met a lot of people who literally didnt know the Roma are not a fantasy Disney cartoon creation and that g*psy is a racial slur. It's uh. Pretty odd. Some of them got real weird about it when I pointed it out too like "everyone knows they're a fantasy staple! How could you say I'm being racist?"

Gypsy isn't a slur in the UK, the preferred way of referring to people from these groups is "GRT" which stands for Gypsy, Romani or Traveller.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AceClown posted:

Gypsy isn't a slur in the UK, the preferred way of referring to people from these groups is "GRT" which stands for Gypsy, Romani or Traveller.

I've only been inferring from context on an occasional panel show, but I thought Travellers were the UK equivalent of New-Age appropriation like they do with Native American mashed-up generic spiritualism over here in the US?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Bruceski posted:

I've only been inferring from context on an occasional panel show, but I thought Travellers were the UK equivalent of New-Age appropriation like they do with Native American mashed-up generic spiritualism over here in the US?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Travellers

There are other ethnicities that identify as Travellers as well.

kissekatt fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 11, 2021

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

girl pants posted:

iirc there's a third update where they broke up because he kept jerking off at the therapist's office but I can't find it. Sorry about that.

Doc: You need to stop masturbating!
Patient: What? I thought it was safe and healthy!
Doc: No, you need to stop masturbating right now as we speak.
Patient: You told me the last time that I could masturbate as much as I wanted!
Doc: NO! I told you you can have a stroke at any time!

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Irish Travellers are a legit thing. I don't know how old they are as a people but they're definitely not a made up New Age thing.

It's funny that they get lumped in with the Roma, though, as IIRC they're completely different groups with the only similarities being traditionally nomadic lifestyles and a shared ability to drive the worst kinds of people absolutely wild.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

AMA: I watched a Law&Order Criminal Intent episode about Travelers once.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Irish Travellers are a legit thing. I don't know how old they are as a people but they're definitely not a made up New Age thing.

It's funny that they get lumped in with the Roma, though, as IIRC they're completely different groups with the only similarities being traditionally nomadic lifestyles and a shared ability to drive the worst kinds of people absolutely wild.

It's like literally every other minority or ethnic group, there's like ~5% of them that are pieces of poo poo and everything that 5% does is used against the 95% as proof of their perfidious nature. In the UK at least you have the Sun and Daily Mail more then willing to run story after story of Travelers leaving messy campgrounds and not paying taxes in the same vein as them screaming about the millions of Eastern Europeans and Muslims sneaking into the country taking British jobs and forcing Sharia law on dutiful Christian white women.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Xun posted:

I have met a lot of people who literally didnt know the Roma are not a fantasy Disney cartoon creation and that g*psy is a racial slur. It's uh. Pretty odd. Some of them got real weird about it when I pointed it out too like "everyone knows they're a fantasy staple! How could you say I'm being racist?"

I was in my 20s before I learned that a gypsy wasn't simply a mystic fortune teller or anyone that looked like one. To be honest if it wasn't for the forums I probably still wouldn't have any idea. I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention the Roma out loud, though I suppose there's a chance I just presumed anyone who did was saying "Roman."

Also if it weren't for the forums I'd probably still think a pony was a baby horse.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Ahh yeah, that’s the one I was fumbling for. Thank you!

No prob, I was trying to post when the submit button was disabled (I'm guessing either because of Lowtax's death or just a fluke with my browser), and I was like, "What is this? I must post this pun, I must!"

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Irish travellers came from various laws banning encampents and provision of charity to unemployed Irish labourers, and the population has big spikes during the enactment of the poor laws/ major disastrous events in Irish history like the famines. They aren't more than 1000 years old and I don't think many people think they predate the poor laws.

Orwell wrote about joining a group on one of the routes at the end of Down and Out, trekking up and down the country to find food as each parish is only allowed to offer one meal a week. He goes into a gay panic when one of the workers hits on him.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 11, 2021

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

AceClown posted:

It should be pointed out that in the UK Gypsy not being regarded as a slur is less a weird denial like say, the Dutch and Zwarte Piet, and more so because it’s outright clinical compared to the horrendous depths of slurs that exist here that are freely dropped in reference to that community.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Google used to be able to handle it but it's been made deliberately useless for anything other than Pinterest image search and procedurally-generated clickfarm content.

Some of the old flags still work. If you put a + in front of a search term it will (mostly) only return results that include that exact term.

Remember when booleans were an important part of internet searches?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spangly A posted:

Orwell wrote about joining a group on one of the routes at the end of Down and Out, trekking up and down the country to find food as each parish is only allowed to offer one meal a week.

Reminds me of how in turn of the previous century London there were homeless shelters where you weren't allowed to stay consecutive nights and also if you stayed at one you weren't allowed to stay at any others within 10 miles.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

muscles like this! posted:

Reminds me of how in turn of the previous century London there were homeless shelters where you weren't allowed to stay consecutive nights and also if you stayed at one you weren't allowed to stay at any others within 10 miles.

That'll teach em

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
WIBTA: Hired with a fired coworker

quote:

Hi, so I have a friend who was fired from her job about 9 months ago for keeping a gift card with a remaining balance that a customer left, essentially theft since she used it a week later and got caught. I don’t really know all the details if I am being honest since I didn’t work there with her. I found out from another reliable friend who did work there with her. Anyways, fast forward, I got hired at a restaurant this week and interestingly enough, my friend who got fired also works there now and has been employed there for about 4 months already. I don’t think my managers know she got fired from her last job. Will I be an rear end in a top hat to tell them?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That's probably why I made that mistake, I saw people unrelated to the Roma being lumped in with the Roma and drew my conclusions from there. Thanks for the info.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 11, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There was another bit, I think in the same book, where he described staying at a shelter and seeing that they were throwing tons of good leftovers away while the homeless men were being fed terrible food. When he pointed out this was stupid, the staff were appalled at the notion of giving those lazy loafers the food.

Spangly A posted:

Irish travellers came from various laws banning encampents and provision of charity to unemployed Irish labourers, and the population has big spikes during the enactment of the poor laws/ major disastrous events in Irish history like the famines. They aren't more than 1000 years old and I don't think many people think they predate the poor laws.

Orwell wrote about joining a group on one of the routes at the end of Down and Out, trekking up and down the country to find food as each parish is only allowed to offer one meal a week. He goes into a gay panic when one of the workers hits on him.
There was a lot going on with George.

The Road to Wigan Pier posted:

It is impossible to watch the ‘fillers’ at work without feelling a pang of envy for their toughness. It is a dreadful job that they do, an almost superhuman job by the standard of an ordinary person. For they are not only shifting monstrous quantities of coal, they are also doing, it in a position that doubles or trebles the work. They have got to remain kneeling all the while—they could hardly rise from their knees without hitting the ceiling—and you can easily see by trying it what a tremendous effort this means. Shovelling is comparatively easy when you are standing up, because you can use your knee and thigh to drive the shovel along; kneeling down, the whole of the strain is thrown upon your arm and belly muscles. And the other conditions do not exactly make things easier. There is the heat—it varies, but in some mines it is suffocating—and the coal dust that stuffs up your throat and nostrils and collects along your eyelids, and the unending rattle of the conveyor belt, which in that confined space is rather like the rattle of a machine gun. But the fillers look and work as though they were made of iron. They really do look like iron hammered iron statues—under the smooth coat of coal dust which clings to them from head to foot. It is only when you see miners down the mine and naked that you realize what splendid men, they are. Most of them are small (big men are at a disadvantage in that job) but nearly all of them have the most noble bodies; wide shoulders tapering to slender supple waists, and small pronounced buttocks and sinewy thighs, with not an ounce of waste flesh anywhere. In the hotter mines they wear only a pair of thin drawers, clogs and knee-pads; in the hottest mines of all, only the clogs and knee-pads. You can hardly tell by the look of them whether they are young or old. They may be any age up to sixty or even sixty-five, but when they are black and naked they all look alike. No one could do their work who had not a young man’s body, and a figure fit for a guardsman at that, just a few pounds of extra flesh on the waist-line, and the constant bending would be impossible. You can never forget that spectacle once you have seen it—the line of bowed, kneeling figures, sooty black all over, driving their, huge shovels under the coal with stupendous force and speed. They are on the job for seven and a half hours, theoretically without a break, for there is no time ‘off’. Actually they, snatch a quarter of an hour or so at some time during the shift to eat the food they have brought with them, usually a hunk of bread and dripping and a bottle of cold tea. The first time I was watching the ‘fillers’ at work I put my hand upon some dreadful slimy thing among the coal dust. It was a chewed quid of tobacco. Nearly all the miners chew tobacco, which is said to be good against thirst.
Thirst indeed.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

ad090 posted:

Not sure this person knows what a friend is. Should I try and get my single mom co-worker fired by telling everyone she's a thief, which I actually don't know for certain, and don't know if she was deliberately left like a $2 gift card by a customer who didn't want to carry it around after spending most of the balance or whatever? Should I do my best to ruin this person's life because I'm bored?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

That'll teach em

There was also an extremely weird rule where people weren't allowed to sleep in parks at night but it was fine to do so during the day.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Thundercloud posted:

Not sure this person knows what a friend is. Should I try and get my single mom co-worker fired by telling everyone she's a thief, which I actually don't know for certain, and don't know if she was deliberately left like a $2 gift card by a customer who didn't want to carry it around after spending most of the balance or whatever? Should I do my best to ruin this person's life because I'm bored?

Why is this person a born snitch? Like wow

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

TheWeedNumber posted:

Why is this person a born snitch? Like wow

I wonder if both people in this story are white or maybe only just one?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

ad090 posted:

I would fire a snitch like this.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Thundercloud posted:

But professionalism

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
AITA for reminding my half-sister of my existance

quote:

Hi guys, first time poster. As context for this tale you need to know that I come from a midle-sized town in the bible belt and well.... things here work a little bit different. Like, 1950's different.

I (17 F) am the bastard daughter of one of the town's big daddies, conceived in an affair he had with mom while his wife was pregnant. This was scandalous when it became public, but southern men are prideful and while "Daddy" has never been too involved in my life, he gave me his last name and ocasionally visits to see that I am not becoming a "Lesbo Punk", his bounteous checks have kept me and my mom afloat all this years. So, thank you papa.

Who I have a problem with is my half-sister (remember, pregnant wife) Miley Mae (17F). She hates me, she always has. The moment she found out who I was, she hated me, and she has tried to bully me all our lives. I honestly don't care too much but I can see where she is coming from, as rumor has it that the marriage between her mom and our dad never recovered after the affair and she came into the world to a broken home. Right now, we try to keep our distances and our school has been gentle enough to maintain us apart in every aspect they can.

Now, here comes the fun part. We are both graduating next year and as part of last year traditions, all the graduates have to create a family tree that hangs out in the "Legacies" corridor. I mean, basically all of us are decendants of previous students up to 5 generations if not more and the point is showing the compromise with excellence our families have or something like that.

In my tree, I obviously included dad's side. I even added Miley Mae and her mom because they are also part of it all. When Miley Mae saw it, she went full ballistic. She shouted, she cried and she tore my poster apart in front of her classmates (I was not there when this happened). Because of this, we were both called to the principals office, with our families.

Miley Mae and her mom blame me for her episode because I "incited" her with my "slanderous tree". The principal just sat there, dumbfounded, and while he left Miley Mae without punishment this time, he said that I can put whoever I want in my tree and that Miley Mae will be suspended if she destroys the new one I create.

I know you will be wondering "OP, why in hell you think you are the AH in this situation?" As we were leaving, my father came to me and asked me to not put him on my tree. He was not angry, or mad, he just looked, sad. I barely know this man but I dont think I have ever seen a biggest expression of defeat and remorse in my whole life. He just said life is difficult enough as it is and that I should not make it harder for him or Miley Mae, specially since I know how she is. Then he left.

My intention was never to hurt my father, or even Miley Mae, but now I feel like a total poo poo.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

cumshitter posted:

Wow

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

cumshitter posted:

NAH, but if she decided to be one, I'm on her side.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

NAH, but if she decided to be one, I'm on her side.

Yeah same. I just can’t believe someone actually wrote those words. Like this is for real and it’s loving wild

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Who wants to play "guess the search term"?

AITA for telling my sister what she said is a HIPAA violation and she shouldn’t share personal information?

quote:

I can’t believe I’m even asking this, but others have told me I was an AH for “getting on to” my sister.

My sister works in healthcare and seems to like her job. She also likes to judge others and make comments about their lifestyle, especially if she doesn’t agree with it. Recently, we had a family gathering and she was talking to our dad about one of his cousins, in front of a room full of people. She brought up the topic by saying something like, “Isn’t Dave one of our cousins?” She then tells our dad (so everyone in the room) that said cousin recently came to the hospital for treatment for “xyz” illness and mentioned some other stuff about his medical background. I just looked at her and said “HIPAA violation” in a sing song voice. Someone else asked what HIPAA was and I explained it meant that people’s info is supposed to be confidential and not shared willy-nilly. She glared at me and then proceeded to ignore me the rest of the night. Later, I was told by another family member that I shouldn’t have called her out and I know how she is. Honestly, I get tired of walking around egg shells and I seem to be the only one that will challenge her/call her out. But, now I’m wondering if I really was the AH?

AITA for not telling my roommate about my “vag*na razor”

quote:

I know it’s not technically the vagina, but that’s what it’s being referred to

I (F21) live with two roommates, R and M (both also F21).

R has a bad habit of using M and my stuff, which wouldn’t really bother me except she leaves containers of things open, and never put anything back where she found it. Normally she sticks to using some lotion or face wash and stuff like that.

Now, the situation:

I have two razors. One I use for legs/armpits. And the other I use to shave my pubes (from here on out this will be referred to as the “vagina razor”). The razors are different colors so I don’t confuse them, and I usually keep them in my drawer in the bathroom (each of us have one drawer and one shelf in the cabinet for our own stuff).

Last night I used my vagina razor while in the shower, and when I was out, I set it on the bathroom counter to dry before I put it back in the drawer. I did my skin care routine and brushed my teeth, and I ended up forgetting to put it back, so it was left on the counter and I forgot about it until about an hour ago.

I went to take a shower and saw my vagina razor in the shower on a small shelf in there. When I picked it up, I noticed that it was all gross and covered in hairs and shaving cream. That’s when I remembered I had left it out on the counter.

I get out of the shower and take the razor to the living room where R and M are watching a movie and asked if anyone used my razor. R casually says she did, so I tell her she owes me a new blade. R says no, that it’s “just legs” and I’m being dramatic. But I’m literally so grossed out at this point because who the gently caress shares razors? No matter what they’re used for??

I tell her I don’t use the razor on my legs, I use it to shave my pubes and R starts freaking out. She starts yelling, calling me gross, disgusting, etc, and saying that I should have told her that before. I tell her she shouldn’t have used my stuff.

R texts basically all our friends, and their opinions are divided. While most agree that R shouldn’t use our stuff without asking, they also think I should have told R what I use the razor for, since I know she uses our stuff. R’s girlfriend called me disgusting because according to her, I let R “rub my vagina” on her legs, which is just, insane.

I’ve been getting text messages from our mutuals telling me I should have told R since I know how she is. But I don’t agree; none of this would have happened if she didn’t use my stuff.

AITA here?

EDIT: I’ve been speaking to our friends and showed my roommates this thread. M is 100% on my side (as has been the whole time) but R is still upset that she used my vagina razor on her legs and is acting huffy and annoyed, she also says I shouldn’t have left the razor out on the counter either since that’s also gross (it was face up, so the actual razor wasn’t touching the counter but I digress). Also learned that apparently she fudged the story a bit and told our mutual friends that she had used my razor but that the blade had been new, and that I was freaking out and being a drama queen. I still don’t understand how this is any better because either way she would have used MY razor, but whatever. I’ve started sending the link to this post to our friends and now most of them seem to be on my side, but also feel bad that R is upset 🙄 Hopefully y’all are right and she stops using my stuff after this.

EDIT2: Since some people are asking; I use two separate razors so the vagina razor stays sharper longer since I shave that area less often than legs/armpits. Also, I have taken your advice and removed all my products from out bathroom and will now be taking everything in and out of there with me as needed.

AITA for reminding my husband's friend that I make 3 times his salary

quote:

My (30F) husband (32M) has a friend 'Mike' (36M) who fancies himself the wolf of wall Street.

Mike got some money when his grandpa passed away (150k) and blew it all very quickly in 'get rich quick' schemes as well as trying out day trading. He's currently working in a call center while still trying to make it big. He has no inheritance money left.

The issue is that Mike is really bad at making financial decisions and so he keeps losing money, but that doesn't stop him from repeating over and over that 'next year' he'll make his first million (he's been saying this for 5 years).

I wouldn't mind his attitude as much except he constantly belittles me and my husband, looking down on us for our car when he doesn't have one or saying that 'smart people work for themselves' as a dig to our jobs. He finally made money last week (2k) and he came over for dinner. He was on a huge high from making money and was more arrogant than usual, talking about how he was going to buy a really expensive car and wouldn't be caught dead with the car we own. He then kept saying 'I made 2k in 15 minutes, nobody else at this table can say that'. He then proceeded to try give us financial advice, which consisted of him putting down mine and my husband's jobs (he makes the same amount as my husband and way less than me).

I got fed up with his attitude and said 'Mike, we didn't make 2k in 15 minutes but I do make 100k a year which is about 3 times what you make and I never blew 150k, so I really don't think you are in a place to advise on finances'. He stormed out and said I was an AH, my husband thinks I should've been nicer since I know how he is. AITA?

AITA for blowing up after my cousins boyfriend ate my leftovers?

quote:

I (21f) moved across the country to live with my boyfriend (23m). But back in June I visited him for 3 months. He lives with his grandma and cousin (21m) who I'll call S. Grandma has been staying at a different house with her sister so it was just us three. Me and my boyfriend bought all the groceries, cooked and cleaned while S sat in his room and did nothing. He has depression and anger issues and has been this way for years. S mom and dad live two blocks away with a full house of kids which is why he lives here. We have tried to include S in things we do but he has never made me feel welcome and would eat all of our groceries and we never got any of it so we started hiding food in our room. When something happened with S we would try to talk to him but he would basically tell us to F off. We told his mom and grandma about it but they say " oh you know how he is he's been having a hard time lately" so nothing has ever been done about it. We decided we wanted to move in together so now we are living with S and his grandma while our trailer is being rebuilt so we can move out soon. S got dumped by his girlfriend and has been more depressed than ever posting on social media about death and continuing to eat all our groceries. On Halloween we felt bad and decided to surprise him by going out to dinner and paying for his meal. We invited our friend (21m) who is also S best friend and he invited his girlfriend. Two of our other friends didn't show up because they had food poisoning and then S refused to go so it turned into a double date. When we came back we invited S to watch a movie with us but he turned up his music so loud you couldn't even talk so our friends quickly left after feeling uncomfortable. The next day me and my boyfriend came home late and saw that S had eaten all of my leftovers from the dinner. My boyfriend yelled at him to apologize but S said no and "so what it's food get over it" so we called his mom and asked her to pay for the meal. This is where I might be the a**hole. S mom is a interior designer and we asked for her opinion on building the trailer and she went out of her way to buy us supplies and help us build it for free. She was offended by us asking for money and told us that she didn't want to work for free and that we were on our own. She got grandma involved and now everyone is mad at us because S should be allowed to eat whatever food is in the house regardless of who buys it and we should be ashamed for inviting him on a double date knowing that he just got broken up with and then brought the party back to the house where he's at. My boyfriend has been on the phone all morning arguing with the family and now we feel super uncomfortable. AITA?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
you know how they are

Edit:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Sorry I didn't even realize we were playing, that is just a term that sets off sirens whenever I see it.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

AITA for telling my sister what she said is a HIPAA violation and she shouldn’t share personal information?

AITA for not telling my roommate about my “vag*na razor”

AITA for reminding my husband's friend that I make 3 times his salary

AITA for blowing up after my cousins boyfriend ate my leftovers?

God, “you know how he/she is” is so perfect

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Edit:

Sorry I didn't even realize we were playing, that is just a term that sets off sirens whenever I see it.

It wasn't going to be a difficult one. And yeah, that stuck out like a sore thumb in the half sister story which prompted the search.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for lashing out at my husband for suggesting I stop buying formula instead of cancelling his streaming services to save money?

quote:

I'm (f32) the breadwinner and have a toddler and a 9 month old baby. Their needs are neverending and everything I buy is expensive.

My husband (m37) is unemployed but uses part of my salary for his subscribtion/paid streaming services which cost about 80+ a month for Hulu (premium) Netflex, HBO, Amazon,ESPN+ and more. I keep finding myself coming up short with money. I kept neglecting buying hygiene products and have only one pair of shoes that look decent. I can't remember the last time I bought anything nice for myself and keep feeling guilty just thinking of going shopping for stuff that is neccessary. I sat him down for a discussion and told him his subscribtions are taking money I can't keep paying for them when I have other responsibilities. I asked him to choose one channel and he threw a fit calling me ridiculous to think streaming services are the reason I'm always short on money and blamed it on the "expensive" and "unneccessary" makeup he calls it "fakeup" I keep wasting money on. I got angry and said he needed to respect that makeup is part of my personality and won't quit buying and wearing it.

He said that I was trying to financially control him since I got offended when he pointed out that I waste money on makeup and explained that he can not and WILL NOT be bought with money nomatter how desperate he is. I said ok then let me cancel all streaming services and keep one til he can pay for them once he finds a job but he refused and said since he's the stahp then those streaming services are a right and not a privilage and I should keep paying for them without complaining since he's staying with our sons all day and it's taxing just like my job.

Final straw was when he suggested I stop buying formula and go back to breastfeeding since that is unneceassary and expensive. I was floored and was seething I lashed out at him asking him if he literally thought cancelling formula is better than his precious subscribtions. Also I work I have no time to breastfeed. He just said he doesn't know what it is anymore and that I was pushing him but I told him he no longer has the choice and I'll just stop paying for all his channels/subscribtions alrogether which had him reply that I was being unfair and un-appreciative of his efforts. He stormed off after calling me controlling and kept cold shouldering me.

AITA?

Edit: No he left his previous job due to issues with his employer. He struggled with finding a job in his field and refused to work in other related fields saying his dignity won't let him since he worked hard for his degree.

My makeup gets replaced every few months. It normally cost 50+ but that's every few months not every month.

I stopped breastfeeding for health issues and now work but he never stopped criticizing my decision to use formula calling it waste of money when I could push past the pain and provide our son with real benefits.

I still do the majority of work around the apartment.

quote:

I still do the cooking/cleaning/washing after I get home but he says that's my part of chores so I shouldn't complain.

throw the whole man out

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Yeah that's what got me...regardless of how "caring" he is, he flipped on a dime for his ex & decided to keep a kid when he supposedly didn't want any. That's a BIG decision & OP probably thought he'd either give up his rights or suggest terminating/aborting. When that didn't happen, she was understandably upset at him choosing his ex & future child (again, that he claimed to never want from the start) over her & their life.

He was more excited about the prospect of having a kid with his ex than he was about how his current partner felt, that's pretty hosed up if you ask me. Even funnier that he's trying to throw the whole "I checked on you & you weren't honest" line out there, considering he wasn't honest with her about kids from the start. He obviously was on the fence & rather than admit that, he threw it all on her for not being supportive of his complete 180. Betting he wasn't over the ex at all if he's willing to drop his new girl over his own mistake & then try to act like she was the bigger problem.

What kind of cockamamie beep boop logic is "someone reacted very differently than they thought they would on finding out some major news, therefore they were lying about their feelings".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Automatically not the rear end in a top hat because she didn't spell it "HIPPA"