Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It'd sure be embarrassing if someone fired at us with weapons we sold them though, I'm sure that's never happened before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The current global order can be accurately described as this, yes.

No poo poo, all the more reasons people should not make posts justifying it as no big deal like that guy did

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
We are doing it wrong, you have to go the Ankh-Morpork way... you buy the invading armies weapons... all of them. Then throw a party and everyone gets so drunk you forget what you were fighting about.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would actually be hilarious if Saudi-American relations got so bad we decided Aw gently caress it, and made nice with Iran again.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, you sure showed those poor people who can't afford to drive into work! Sick burn!

Yeah, the US sure does show tons of people by sanctioning half the planet. No disagreement here. But I guess keeping the huge threat of Cuba at bay is worth some human suffering.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

So a memo justifying Trump's firing of Defense Secretary Esper dropped and....wow, its a read

https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/1458449906176245763?s=20

If he ever wanted to switch parties and run for office (Dems are looking for more troops...) he could use this letter verbatim as a campaign flyer

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, you sure showed those poor people who can't afford to drive into work! Sick burn!

I'm just making fun of the senior senate aide who said that SA not doing what biden wants is like "economic sanctions" right after the US decided to impose real sanctions on nicaragua

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

No poo poo, all the more reasons people should not make posts justifying it as no big deal like that guy did

That's not what they did? They said this is fairly standard for what happens with weapons sales? Address their point, not attack the poster for accurately describing the mad house we live in.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Peter Daou Zen posted:

It would actually be hilarious if Saudi-American relations got so bad we decided Aw gently caress it, and made nice with Iran again.

But can the U.S.A ever forgive Iran for keeping to their deal and thus not giving the U.S an excuse to invade?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

That's often how economic sanctions work in practice, yes.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

FizFashizzle posted:

What the gently caress

https://twitter.com/dallaswoodhouse/status/1458614993126105088?s=21

He’s switching to nowhereland between Charlotte and Raleigh.

Why does he want to go from Congress to the lower house of the NC State Legislature?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

volts5000 posted:

Why does he want to go from Congress to the lower house of the NC State Legislature?

Not enough rotting trees to punch in DC

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

That's often how economic sanctions work in practice, yes.

Yes, but celebrating how it fucks over the poor is kinda messed up!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

By the time we get to 2024, trump is just going to claim he was still President the entire time.

Given how obsessed both parties are with him he might as well have been

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

That's not what they did? They said this is fairly standard for what happens with weapons sales? Address their point, not attack the poster for accurately describing the mad house we live in.

Well personally I think it's hosed up to frame the US government's continued military support of a regime engaged in active genocide as a ho-hum concession to realpolitik

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Well personally I think it's hosed up to frame the US government's continued military support of a regime engaged in active genocide as a ho-hum concession to realpolitik

That's not what they said at all though, so maybe stop reading into it that much. Please point where they justified the active genocide rather than just called it "Business As Usual" which it is, right or wrong. And by they I mean the specific poster.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 11, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Stories about Lowtax weirdly ended up on the front-page of British tabloids, Reuters, Vice, Newsweek, Engadget, and PC Gamer today.

One Indian magazine is investigating whether it is a hoax and he faked his own death.

https://getindianews.com/is-richard-lowtax-kyanka-dead-or-alive-social-media-death-hoax-explained/

The Sun in the U.K. keeps referring to SA as "a comedy blog" and used this quote for his obituary.

quote:

"Something Awful GBS forum used to be fun in its heyday when he was running it."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/16704091/richard-lowtax-kyanka-something-awful-death-news/

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There's a full article about the guy here:

https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/1458047776407818242?t=Oo7B4-7mcvA1ZjtNaFF7KA&s=19

spoilers he's fuckin' bonkers

This guy is amazing. “I didn’t feel ready before, but I am 29 now and I’m ready.” Apparently the main qualification for becoming the head of whitehouse HR is being sufficiently old, similar to how you become a self-made man at 25 when you get full access to your trust fund. He sent a memo advocating the overthrow of american democracy in the form of bullet points (8 reasons not to certify the election [#5 will shock you!]), although arguably he simply knew that that was the only way trump would ever read it.

And the kicker is that he'll probably have an even larger role in the 2024 campaign from the outset, not just at the tail end when everything had already fallen apart. Which is only fitting I guess, he'll be 32 by then and therefore qualified to be director of communications or field operations for the east coast. Hell, if he has an early month birthday he could even be campaign manager.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

volts5000 posted:

It's a new district and the NC House Speaker is also planning to run there. Not a state district.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
No updates on the BBB CBO score? There are four days left until the demanded day for an up or down vote.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Biden and Obama very much would rather have normalized relations with Iran and that’s why MBS is angry. An Iran which the west doesn’t like but can deal with is an Iran much more able to counter the Saudis than an isolated state.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

That's not what they said at all though, so maybe stop reading into it that much. Please point where they justified the active genocide rather than just called it "Business As Usual" which the usual. And by they I mean the specific poster.

Describing not being partner to murdering hundreds of thousands as "some kind of principled stand" like it's a vague interpersonal moral tiff rather than a distinct red line glowing so bright you can see it from space? I dunno dude

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Biden and Obama very much would rather have normalized relations with Iran and that’s why MBS is angry. An Iran which the west doesn’t like but can deal with is an Iran much more able to counter the Saudis than an isolated state.

lol Obama loving helped start the Yemeni genocide under the impression that the Houthis were Iranian proxies

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

Who is celebrating that? Quote some posts.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Please point where they justified the active genocide rather than just called it "Business As Usual" which the usual. And by they I mean the specific poster.

I think it's fair to challenge this statement:

ElrondHubbard posted:

Being able to make a buck on the sales and build relations will almost always trump taking some kind of principled stand that accomplishes nothing and reduces influence with them.

Reads as if the poster dismisses any moral responsibility for the US, not just explaining the POV of the decision makers.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Fister Roboto posted:

You know what they're doing with those weapons, right? Do you think that's worth "building relations" or "influence"? You don't have to justify this.

Once again, friend: there is a difference between "explaining" and "endorsing".

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

idk how you can say they are defending the arms deal. they clearly just said that not selling the arms would be pointless and wasteful.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Found this

https://www.dailyposter.com/lies-drat-lies-and-cbo-statistics/

quote:

Last week, progressive lawmakers agreed to move ahead on passing the Senate’s bipartisan infrastructure legislation before voting on the party’s Build Back Better bill, in exchange for a promise that corporate Democratic holdouts would support the latter if the CBO said the bill is fully funded and won’t raise the deficit. The controversial bargain came despite warnings that CBO analyses are rigged against progressive priorities.

Less than two months ago, the CBO estimated that a BBB provision to increase funding for the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by $80 billion over the next decade would raise about $200 billion in revenue over that time period. That followed an earlier CBO report which found that increasing the IRS budget by just $20 billion over the next decade would increase revenue by about $61 billion.

Increasing funding for IRS enforcement is the largest source of revenue for BBB. Excluding that revenue from the CBO score makes it far more likely that the office will conclude that the reconciliation bill will add to the budget deficit, giving corporate Democrats the ammunition they need to justify voting down President Joe Biden’s promised agenda.

The CBO’s move comes less than three years after the office issued a report insisting that the budget effects of climate change “will probably be small over the next 30 years and larger, but still modest, in the following few decades.”

A full repeal of the SALT cap would cost $475 billion over those first five years, while limiting SALT deductions to $72,500, as House Democrats have proposed, would cost $222 billion over five years. But that’s not how the CBO’s budget wonks will score it.

This is where the budget gimmick comes into play: By raising the SALT cap for five years and reinstating the $10,000 cap for the following five years, Democrats are expecting the CBO to say that over the decade, the SALT policy won’t actually cost anything — which is total nonsense.

Earlier this year, Gottheimer proposed using the revenue from increasing the IRS budget to fund his SALT cap repeal. “There is a cost for infrastructure investments and in eliminating the SALT cap, but there is a solution readily available,” he wrote in a letter to Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen.

But now, Gottheimer is demanding to see the CBO score of BBB before he votes for it, despite the fact that the score will omit a revenue measure that he endorsed in the past.

While the CBO is technically a nonpartisan office, it is directed by Republican Phillip Swagel, who has held affiliations with the right-wing American Enterprise Institute and Milken Institute. The House Speaker and Senate President pro tempore appoint the director, and either branch of Congress can pass a resolution to remove the director at any time.

I didn't know the CBO was headed by a Republican. The House or Senate could easily remove him. Why don't they? Same question for Louis Dejoy, I guess.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ex post facho posted:

No updates on the BBB CBO score? There are four days left until the demanded day for an up or down vote.

CBO says they will have partial scores out next week, but no full score until the end of the month.

House moderates said they will vote for it by November 15th if there isn't a full score by then.

Manchin and Sinema's position is :shrug:

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Normy posted:

It's a new district and the NC House Speaker is also planning to run there. Not a state district.

I thought Tim Moore wasn't running for Congress and it was just assumed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

considering that deal is like a 2025 and on delivery date, the plan for those weapons (and indeed most of saudi arabia's arm purchases for years now) is an eventual war with Iran for supremacy in the region. Like they've been spending germany in the 1930s % of their gdp on military spending for almost a decade now. Ironically the yemen conflict was meant to be a test run and kind of a precursor skirmish that was meant to clean up some pesky border raids while putting iran on the back foot. Instead the KSA ended up somehow losing a genocide that they were committing.

The current global order can be accurately described as this, yes.
The idea of the Saudis getting into a hot war with Iran makes me laugh

It's not impossible, but Iran would be in Riyadh in like a week

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How are u posted:

Once again, friend: there is a difference between "explaining" and "endorsing".

They literally said that not doing the arms deal would accomplish nothing. I know you're obsessed with a dumb post I made like half a year ago, but this definitely reads like endorsement to me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Andenno posted:

I think it's fair to challenge this statement:

Reads as if the poster dismisses any moral responsibility for the US, not just explaining the POV of the decision makers.

They are not endorsing it, they are saying that's how it is. Its a stretch to suddenly say they endorse it. And as a mod I'm not going to read it like that.

This feels like an attempt to catch a poster in something they didn't say. Move on.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

FlamingLiberal posted:

The idea of the Saudis getting into a hot war with Iran makes me laugh

It's not impossible, but Iran would be in Riyadh in like a week

I imagine the US and Israel would probably get involved which would change the math somewhat

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Yikes. I hate to weigh in on the rather heated debate weighing the value of my soul, but I was replying to a poster asking whether an arms deal being approved between the US and Saudi Arabia was some sort of special fig leaf to the Saudis, when in fact it’s one of the most common and reliable occurrences regardless of administration or atrocity the Saudis may be committing at any given moment and the US has always taken a Realpolitik approach of selling weapons whenever possible and has historically treated any real alternative as pointless, inflammatory, or detrimental to its weapons manufacturers.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

volts5000 posted:

I thought Tim Moore wasn't running for Congress and it was just assumed.

Not sure about that. Just clearing up the state/federal distinction.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Saudis have significant shares of so many US companies, they are basically untouchable. They don't have anything better to spend their cash than pumping startups and buying stock, and that means elites love them.

Add to that their grip on the oil market, and they, say can butcher even a high-ranking US citizen with a media gig and establishment ties, with zero consequence.

If Covid had come out of Saudi Arabia the US government (either party) would say you're a commie if you get vaccinated. You're offending our pals!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ElrondHubbard posted:

Yikes. I hate to weigh in on the rather heated debate weighing the value of my soul, but I was replying to a poster asking whether an arms deal being approved between the US and Saudi Arabia was some sort of special fig leaf to the Saudis, when in fact it’s one of the most common and reliable occurrences regardless of administration or atrocity the Saudis may be committing at any given moment and the US has always taken a Realpolitik approach of selling weapons whenever possible and has historically treated any real alternative as pointless, inflammatory, or detrimental to its weapons manufacturers.

That's really not how your post read. Talk about missing the tone, yikes!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Solkanar512 posted:

Fister Roboto posted:

Who is celebrating that? Quote some posts.

Fister Roboto beat me to it, but yeah, I'm gonna need to see the post celebrating the loving over of the poors.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sephyr posted:

Add to that their grip on the oil market, and they, say can butcher even a high-ranking US citizen with a media gig and establishment ties, with zero consequence.

He wasn't a US citizen, he was a US resident. Small point, but important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The DC Circuit Court of Appeals issued a temporary stay on the release of Trump's communications on 1/6. However, the panel hearing the arguments at the end of the month are all Dem appointees.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1458906282346401795?s=20