Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
here's something new and short, it's uhh... a concept album over an idle game around using peasant swarms to harvest "corn" that looks a lot like wheat.
Also there's a second ending after the main obelisk ending for getting20/20 of those shiny pickup things

https://petertalisman.quest/

Also the pathfinding seems to freak out and eat your cpu when there's a thin strip of corn across the path, so either try to avoid it, or do some manual picking to remove it.

oh right it doesn't save either so keep that in mind.

Residual Toast fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cobalt60 posted:

Why DON'T folks like Melvor Idle? I started a couple weeks ago, and it seems OK. Is the payoff or endgame weak or something?
I've been playing it a while and I absolutely understand why people wouldn't like it. The entire game is a bunch of mildly-overlapping skills for you to grind to max, and all of them except for combat consist simply of applying time to them. There's very little in the way of decision making other than "what do I spend time on next?" - my gameplay for the last two weeks has consisted of logging in once or twice a day to reset the plants I have growing and put some banked experience into a robe so that later on I don't have to make that robe to max the skill. It's enjoyable on the same level as watering a digital plant.
The combat is a little more varied, as it punishes you for dying so there's a push-and-pull between do you want to just grind out other skills for better equipment or buff potions to progress to a new dungeon, or do you want to risk grinding at a slightly higher-level area to get drops instead. But, also because of that risk there's no real incentive to engage heavily with combat until you're at the high level dungeons that you can't really use your other skills to scale past and instead begin to rely on item drops.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Cobalt60 posted:

Why DON'T folks like Melvor Idle? I started a couple weeks ago, and it seems OK. Is the payoff or endgame weak or something?
I can't speak for anyone but myself but I am so dang sick of levelling up a little virtual person to go fight dragons

I just want any other genre, please, space or cowboy or cyber or anything

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Ghostlight posted:

It's not really a paywall. It was announced (not very long before the deadline to be honest) that the game would stop being free-with-ads on web and mobile, instead requiring a one-time payment to unlock the full game, with the free versions becoming a cut down (limited skills) demo of the game. Everyone who had an existing cloud account got upgraded to premium for free, and the developer even urged people to create a cloud account to take advantage of this in their announcement of the change.

This isn't true. I created an account after the announcement but before the paywall went up, being assured my account would be upgraded for free. It wasn't. I stopped playing. If you like Runescape you'll like it. If you don't then you won't.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

MikusR posted:

It isn't

I coulda sworn that’s what I read. I even remember reading it then saying “I must be misreading it, I’ll check tomorrow” and it definitely said that. Still, if that isn’t what’s happening then I’m glad. Maybe I’ll come back at some point, but I really was just kinda bored with it so it’s nbd.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Since Melvor is back in the thread, I figured I would drop this odd little game that I saw the other day:

https://spacestationidle.com/

Its Melvor, but the skills only go up to 50, there is a clear prestige mechanic (that also includes unlocking end game skills) and, perhaps most important of all, its Space Station 13 skinned. You are still training a guy to kill things as a focus for the other skills.

I have only played a short while since I was still playing Melvor when I saw it, but it seemed to be entertaining enough, especially in the current wash of Antimatter Dimensions skins and Prestige Tree mods.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Residual Toast posted:

here's something new and short, it's uhh... a concept album over an idle game around using peasant swarms to harvest "corn" that looks a lot like wheat.
Also there's a second ending after the main obelisk ending for getting20/20 of those shiny pickup things

Also the pathfinding seems to freak out and eat your cpu when there's a thin strip of corn across the path, so either try to avoid it, or do some manual picking to remove it.

pretty short and neat

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Voxx posted:

pretty short and neat
I liked the theme and music and it was fun, but shortly into the game I realized that using the beacon slows you down. The only interesting bit of interaction and you shouldn't even build the thing!.

Also when you have a bunch of peasants it's funny watching them all beeline to the nearest stalk, one gets it and the rest turn at a right angle to get the next nearest stalk to their original location (or maybe, where the beacon is?) rather than searching again and seeing the stalk a few feet away, getting THERE and turning again and again.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In wizard and minion, how many points should I aim for for my first plaza prestige?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Pope Guilty posted:

In wizard and minion, how many points should I aim for for my first plaza prestige?

Look at what you can buy with points, pick a thing and aim for that. As long as you're always gathering you can rebuild the plaza buildings fairly quickly.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Arbetor posted:

Since Melvor is back in the thread, I figured I would drop this odd little game that I saw the other day:

Its Melvor, but the skills only go up to 50, there is a clear prestige mechanic (that also includes unlocking end game skills) and, perhaps most important of all, its Space Station 13 skinned. You are still training a guy to kill things as a focus for the other skills.

I have only played a short while since I was still playing Melvor when I saw it, but it seemed to be entertaining enough, especially in the current wash of Antimatter Dimensions skins and Prestige Tree mods.

Do you know what Enables: MECH means? Because stat-wise the first mech suit seems worse than the much easier to make cardborg disguise, unless that tag does something cool.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Red Minjo posted:

Do you know what Enables: MECH means? Because stat-wise the first mech suit seems worse than the much easier to make cardborg disguise, unless that tag does something cool.

There's a couple of items that need a mech to function but they're quite late. The regen and evasion on the regular armors is usually better than the accuracy and strength mechs offer.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arbetor posted:

I do like how unlike Melvor, it keeps most jobs locked at the start so you're not overwhelmed by options (and then proceed to see that no, you still need to do the starting jobs to actually play with the fun toys). Also, that "Power" is apparently something that you can stick in a bag.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

kaschei posted:

I liked the theme and music and it was fun, but shortly into the game I realized that using the beacon slows you down. The only interesting bit of interaction and you shouldn't even build the thing!.

Also when you have a bunch of peasants it's funny watching them all beeline to the nearest stalk, one gets it and the rest turn at a right angle to get the next nearest stalk to their original location (or maybe, where the beacon is?) rather than searching again and seeing the stalk a few feet away, getting THERE and turning again and again.

I don't particularly understand this point. Without that, how do you have any direction at all?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Falcon2001 posted:

I don't particularly understand this point. Without that, how do you have any direction at all?

You don't, your peasants will instead target the closest corn to the base and thus gather more efficiently.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
It might get you more corn per second but not by a lot in the late game and it definitely slows completing the game down to refuse to use the beacon. Basically all of your actual goals are in particular places and beelining to those places is enough faster in terms of actually getting there than just growing the circle that it's worth the slight harvest rate loss from the added travel time.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Sillyman posted:

It might get you more corn per second but not by a lot in the late game and it definitely slows completing the game down to refuse to use the beacon. Basically all of your actual goals are in particular places and beelining to those places is enough faster in terms of actually getting there than just growing the circle that it's worth the slight harvest rate loss from the added travel time.

Seemed to work pretty well early game but once things get really far from the base yea it makes no sense doing it that way.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

You can always just put your beacon on your base when you aren’t targeting some specific goal.

One note: Donkeys don’t actually pick wheat, they just carry what the Peasants pick back to the base for them, so don’t be like me with a huge swarm of Donkeys wondering why they are just sitting around until the first of too few Peasants get to where they are located before any progress is made.

AotC
May 16, 2010

Residual Toast posted:

That was a great little game, the end video was uh.... interesting.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Sillyman posted:

My goal was to "explore" the whole map, if you know everywhere you want to go the beacon can help (although you should definitely clear a good deal of the center to buy upgrades first).

Giant Octopus
Feb 23, 2015
Anyone here play idle champions of the forgotten realms? The art looks pretty blegh but I wonder if the flavoring would be enough for me to enjoy it.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
It's fine (I say, as I have it open on Switch right this second.) You have set slots for a party formation and fill them based on what champions you have, what the enemy type is, whether you're trying to get to mission complete quickly or stay on to grind the reset currency and such. Heavily monetized, but you can still get through at a non-miserable pace without paying. I recommend using the gems you get for beating bosses/missions to buy at least the cheapest familiar because even when auto-clicking drops off to useless damage it still has minor knockback on the enemy in front. The "Champions Presents" option when you get into a mission is like a series of votes for their Twitch series, but it also has rewards in it including champions and gear with no need to grind, and one of the random rolls got me a free familiar, giving me enough of those to have them auto-pick up gold and mission items for me.

It has story stuff in the missions but if you don't like it and/or just want runs to go faster you can turn it off completely.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Giant Octopus posted:

Anyone here play idle champions of the forgotten realms? The art looks pretty blegh but I wonder if the flavoring would be enough for me to enjoy it.

It's incredibly lootbox/fomo/grindy, with little actual gameplay.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Toshimo posted:

It's incredibly lootbox/fomo/grindy, with little actual gameplay.

*checks that I'm still in the Idle games thread*

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I haaaated Idle Champions. Started out okay but each run required manual setup and buying/using/upgrading spells and whatnot. To make it more of an idle thing you can buy familiars to click *one thing* automatically, wherever you put it. Some cost in game money some cost real dollarydoo's. They got me for one starter pack but I got rid of it shortly thereafter. I think a friend of mine spent many hundreds of dollars on that game for some reason.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
As someone who's played a lot of Idle Champions (and Crusaders of the Lost Idols) over the years, I'm not sure if I'd call it idle in the way this thread enjoys. There's automation, but it's designed around automating the resetting process for the parties you aren't looking at while you focus on doing more active advancement on your main party. There's a lot of stuff to think about with the formation abilities of different characters if you want to optimize that, but for most characters that isn't really enough to count as an "active" idle game. Fundamentally, it's just a game you keep running in the background and every few hours you look back at it to see how big your numbers are and to start your plates spinning again. And that's fine, but it's never going to be something this thread goes nuts over.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Idle Champions is the most boring idler i have ever played.
There is less decision making than Adventure Capitalist, and that is saying a lot.
And the amount of loot boxy and other MTX poo poo you get bombarded with is preposterous.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
The beacon is good, actually. without it being set near some corn your donkeys just kind of wander randomly and don't speed anything up at all. If all you've got is peasants, the beacon is useless though.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Anyone who did like v1 of NG Space Company, they're closing it on December 1. My biggest gripe with v2 is the layout being cluttered. It looks like they designed it for a mobile device and then exported it to browser. Big fat buttons that are out of proportion to the rest of everything.

I guess we just can't have things that are easy to read anymore.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
That grain harvesting game was real good.

Love the graphics style, and gameplay was good. Sooo satisfying to, in the endgame, place the beacon and watch the villagers munch up a huge area swarm of ants.

Didn’t care at all for those weird dialogues, and the video at the end was downright psychotic.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jhet posted:

Anyone who did like v1 of NG Space Company, they're closing it on December 1. My biggest gripe with v2 is the layout being cluttered. It looks like they designed it for a mobile device and then exported it to browser. Big fat buttons that are out of proportion to the rest of everything.

I may just go set up the server / js on my own site since that's so annoying.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Jhet posted:

you were not kidding, the UI is atrocious. If you played the first one at all though, you should definitely import your save from v1 to v2 because I'm not sure you'll be able to after it closes

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hughlander posted:

I may just go set up the server / js on my own site since that's so annoying.

I hadn't looked at the Interstellar part until this afternoon on v2, and it's worse? You don't have to scout anymore, but you also can't just absorb stars DM gain, and now you're forced into fighting to even be able to Enlighten. Which makes it less of an option to choose your path and just a game that's on rails the whole way. I really liked being able to decide which stars to explore and absorb. Now you just get a bonus to (hidden resources) for exploring, and then you have to conquer the star (full stats are just given to you). So if you just want to Enlighten the only option is going to be the first 10 stars so you can get your next Titan. Terraforming is gone completely it looks like or they locked it behind something and it doesn't show even though I'm a few Enlightenments in.

They also screwed with the units. I have k/s, M/s, G/s, and T/s. You know, because you measure how much metal you have like you would computer RAM is my assumption. It doesn't actually explain the units anywhere, and there's no where to change them to something that even makes conceptual sense.

It's just gone from a cool end cycle where you can pick and choose to one that's going to have an ideal bunch of options to take to get that next Titan or upgrade.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Thirst Mutilator posted:

you were not kidding, the UI is atrocious. If you played the first one at all though, you should definitely import your save from v1 to v2 because I'm not sure you'll be able to after it closes
v1 straight up doesn't load for me at the moment, and i'm pretty sure i'm just going to stop playing since v2 is a much worse product.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

v1 straight up doesn't load for me at the moment, and i'm pretty sure i'm just going to stop playing since v2 is a much worse product.

Chrome asked me if I wanted to kill the tab but refreshing once or twice finally loaded it

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Space Company Dev on Discord posted:

@everyone Hello players.

As you know NG Space Company V2 is not a success and many, many players complain about this version. Since I am coding games to give fun to players, if there no more fun then I don't want to continue coding this version.

This is why I propose to cancel NG Space Company V2 and to put back V1 as the main version of the game. Here are the consequences:

- V2 code and site will be removed
- V2 save could not be imported into V2 ; V2 Players with no V1 save will lost everything
- V1 URL will be moved to https://ngsc.freddecgames.com/ ; https://ngspacecompany.exileng.com/ will be closed the 1st of december anyway
- To play V1 on mobile you will need the Google Play app (if you already purchased it, it will be free)
- There will be no more leaderboard in V1 (at least in a first step)
- I will continue to add new content and fix bugs on V1

If all those consequences are OK for you, please vote with 👍

According to the number of votes, I will take my decision shortly (before the end of this week).

Vote to quit is currently ahead 93/46 so things appear to be going swimmingly.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Honestly a better reaction than most to overwhelming condemnation of something they've been working on. So uh, good for him?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Rynoto posted:

Honestly a better reaction than most to overwhelming condemnation of something they've been working on. So uh, good for him?

It is much better result than I'd expected. It's not that no one wants updates or upgrades, but that was a really enormous shift, and not in a great way. So it makes me wonder if the dev had even talked to anyone about it prior to just dropping it. Would have saved some disappointment for most people.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I know this sounds like every single one of the boring "my first JavaScript incremental game" things out there, but it's actually somehow good:
https://redgem.games/wigmaker/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I know this sounds like every single one of the boring "my first JavaScript incremental game" things out there, but it's actually somehow good:
https://redgem.games/wigmaker/

I started this about an hour ago and can recommend. Some of the UI wasn't immediately intuitive to me, but nothing deal breaking.