Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bulletsponge13 posted:

Every time you want to carry a 1911. It's the safest practical way to carry the pistol loaded. It's the way it's designed.

If it's possible to carry a gun in Single Action with a safety, I do. My personal Beretta doesn't even decock specifically because I prefer to carry it the way I carry a 1911.

Oh. I know gently caress all about guns, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I totally get your point but the flip side is that if there’s one lesson that all of these videos teach you it’s that you do not want to be in a situation where you feel compelled to use lethal force, ever. I would rather swallow my pride and lose every argument, surrender my wallet, or run for my life than draw a weapon and fire it because the consequences of the former three examples I gave are dwarfed by the potential legal, financial and psychological consequences of the latter. If you come away from any kind of firearms instruction thinking “Hell yeah, no thug’s gonna get the drop on me and I wish one would try!” then you’re an aspiring Rittenhouse or some other shitbag chud in the making.

That said, if you are someone who feels like you need to carry for whatever reason, then you do have an obligation to scrutinize all of the shoot/no-shoot scenarios that you can so that you can develop an understanding of the very narrow circumstances under which shooting someone is morally and legally justifiable.

I’ve said this before and frankly I wish I could buy a Super Bowl ad saying the same, but firearms proficiency doesn’t make you a more manly man or better citizen. Humility, compassion, empathy and self-confidence do, and that’s poo poo you can’t get by filling out a 4473, to the detriment of all.

Exactly this.

If you carry a weapon, for work or personal protection, it behooves you to become as proficient as possible with that weapon, and know when to shoot, and when not to. It behooves you to dry fire, practice drawing so it becomes second nature, and take training classes from people who know their poo poo and aren't some fly by night moron poser. To have proficiency in situations where you're in an adrenaline dump, so you do training that includes force on force with simunitions. To be accurate with your weapon, so you don't shoot like you're in the NYPD.

I'd say a majority of open carry or even concealed carry chuds don't train enough with their firearms, and use it like they use their trucks - to pose, to make themselves feel better about themselves. To feel like a "man."

But a real man knows exactly what you said - it takes a man to walk away, to do everything they can to either leave a situation or deescalate a situation, before using force as a last resort only. Every single competent instructor I've been trained by, whether BJJ or firearm, has reinforced this.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Bored As gently caress posted:

If you carry a weapon, for work or personal protection, it behooves you to become as proficient as possible with that weapon,

This is kind of an impossible metric. A pilot may carry a sidearm for work, but it matters a whole hell of a lot more that he knows how to do the pilot job than that he be "as proficient as possible" with a sidearm.

Likewise, a beat street cop would be a better asset to the community they serve if they understood de-escalation, had a respect for search/seizure laws, was good at paperwork, drove safely, etc, far before proficiency with a firearm.

Yes, there is absolutely a basic amount of proficiency and safety anyone carrying a firearm should strive for, but there are a lot of people with specialties that matter way, way more than running and gunning and doing force on force simunition training.

People selling weapon training will say you always need more to become mega-proficient, but they are either saying that out of ideology or out of simple business sense. That's how a lot of these people make money!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Likewise, a beat street cop would be a better asset to the community they serve if they understood de-escalation, had a respect for search/seizure laws, was good at paperwork, drove safely, etc, far before proficiency with a firearm.

And if you took away the average beat cop's guns altogether, they would have even more time to focus on those actual policing functions. Seems like a win-win all around.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The amount of people who open carry around where I live is loving laughable to me. Five years in Memphis and I never once felt compelled to carry a gun at all. The people out here in the loving country are so afraid of their own shadows.

They're extremely not afraid yet a bunch of proud boys show up to a schoolboard meeting in ballistic vests lmao

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Thankfully the local yokels here aren't being crazy about the schools. Not that I've heard, anyway, but we don't have a public radio station or any broadcast tv here, so maybe I'm just not hearing about it.

Zamujasa posted:

well, shadows do tend to be black :v:

:golfclap:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Gabbard leaning hard(er) into the right-wing grift.

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1458792879871213569?t=G_70xsCL8mLtaXK71QRfAQ&s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is anyone surprised

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Tulsi Gabbard: lovely take machine

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is anyone surprised

Nope.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I carry with the mindset that the gun is a tool- a very specialized tool for very specific instances.

I don't want to use any tool I carry- it means something went wrong, however minor, and interrupted someone's day. The absolute last tool I want to use is violence. But rest assured, if I have resorted to violence, OPFOR made that decision, not me. I don't like violence- it gives me a sad, icky feeling, but I am more than comfortable hurting someone who has forced the issue. If I have to use anything, I prefer my flashlight or leatherman- I'd much rather help someone find something or fix something.

I know I've shared it before, but my Drill Sergeant (a dude I would love to reconnect with and thank, as cheesy as that sounds) gave us the following advice- Walk away. Avoid the fight. You win every fight you avoid. Buy 'em a drink, whatever to deescalate. The next part is pretty much verbatim- "But men, if they force the issue, you put their dick in the dirt. You win that loving fight."

The problem is, guns are tools, not totems. People will confuse the two. It sounds trite, but I have a mental use of force that begins before I open my mouth. Words are weapons, and in that same toolkit.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

bulletsponge13 posted:

I carry with the mindset that the gun is a tool- a very specialized tool for very specific instances.

I don't want to use any tool I carry- it means something went wrong, however minor, and interrupted someone's day. The absolute last tool I want to use is violence. But rest assured, if I have resorted to violence, OPFOR made that decision, not me. I don't like violence- it gives me a sad, icky feeling, but I am more than comfortable hurting someone who has forced the issue. If I have to use anything, I prefer my flashlight or leatherman- I'd much rather help someone find something or fix something.

I know I've shared it before, but my Drill Sergeant (a dude I would love to reconnect with and thank, as cheesy as that sounds) gave us the following advice- Walk away. Avoid the fight. You win every fight you avoid. Buy 'em a drink, whatever to deescalate. The next part is pretty much verbatim- "But men, if they force the issue, you put their dick in the dirt. You win that loving fight."

The problem is, guns are tools, not totems. People will confuse the two. It sounds trite, but I have a mental use of force that begins before I open my mouth. Words are weapons, and in that same toolkit.

Yeah, I agree with this completely. I carry my multitool, my flashlight, and my mini medkit (z fold gauze, TQ, gloves) almost every day. I've used the first two countless times. I've used my car medkit twice, and my car fire extinguisher once. I barely carry a pistol anymore since I moved to a much nicer area, and I'm very thankful I've never had to use it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bulletsponge13 posted:

Walk away. Avoid the fight. You win every fight you avoid.

I can't help but feel that some people who carry see their weapon as a lottery ticket in some batshit nonexistent "Good Guy With a Gun" raffle. ~One fateful day~, they'll be called upon to ~do their duty~ and afterwards they'll be hailed as a NATIONAL HERO and be showered with praise, adulation, and of course, tons of money and free guns from the firearms industry, and never have to buy another drink so long as they live and drink at the "right kind of bar" with the "right kind of people."

I mean, you hear it all the time from blowhards. "Things woulda gone different if I'DA been there I'll tell'ya whut!" :clint:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I haven't been following it very closely but my impression is that Rittenhouse is gonna walk because all evidence indicates that he very legally shot everyone in self defense (in that they were all attacking him) and the prosecution was trying to bag him on reckless and intentional homicide charges. Also some ridiculous clip of the prosecution suggesting violent video games played a role.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Eej posted:

I haven't been following it very closely but my impression is that Rittenhouse is gonna walk because all evidence indicates that he very legally shot everyone in self defense (in that they were all attacking him) and the prosecution was trying to bag him on reckless and intentional homicide charges. Also some ridiculous clip of the prosecution suggesting violent video games played a role.

This isn't true, but even if it were this is the scenario you're describing:

Two people go into a place armed in order to "protect others." It's a tense situation and they both have their weapons out. Each one sees the other as a potential "active shooter situation" and engage. Which one legally acted in self defense?
The answer is "whichever one has more of the following characteristics: white, male, conservative."
That's why he's gonna walk. Because the system presumes the right to self defense for people like him and presumes criminal intent for people who aren't.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Two people go into a place armed in order to "protect others." It's a tense situation and they both have their weapons out. Each one sees the other as a potential "active shooter situation" and engage. Which one legally acted in self defense?
The answer is "whichever one has more of the following characteristics: white, male, conservative."
That's why he's gonna walk. Because the system presumes the right to self defense for people like him and presumes criminal intent for people who aren't.

The question will only come up for whichever of the two is left standing. If Grosskreutz would have shot and killed Rittenhouse, he would have had a credible claim of killing him in self-defense/defense of others because he thought he was stopping an active shooter. The law protects the last one standing, because dead people don't get to tell their side.

But as I said before, one key legal aspect seems to me that Rittenhouse was trying to run away, and was being chased down by multiple people, before he started shooting. That means he legally wasn't the aggressor. If he had a "reasonable belief" of being in danger of "great bodily harm" from the people he shot, he's in the clear.

quote:

939.22(14) (14) "Great bodily harm" means bodily injury which creates a substantial risk of death, or which causes serious permanent disfigurement, or which causes a permanent or protracted loss or impairment of the function of any bodily member or organ or other serious bodily injury.

939.48(1) (1) A person is privileged to threaten or intentionally use force against another for the purpose of preventing or terminating what the person reasonably believes to be an unlawful interference with his or her person by such other person. The actor may intentionally use only such force or threat thereof as the actor reasonably believes is necessary to prevent or terminate the interference. The actor may not intentionally use force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm unless the actor reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself.

939.48(2) (2) Provocation affects the privilege of self-defense as follows:

939.48(2)(a) (a) A person who engages in unlawful conduct of a type likely to provoke others to attack him or her and thereby does provoke an attack is not entitled to claim the privilege of self-defense against such attack, except when the attack which ensues is of a type causing the person engaging in the unlawful conduct to reasonably believe that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm. In such a case, the person engaging in the unlawful conduct is privileged to act in self-defense, but the person is not privileged to resort to the use of force intended or likely to cause death to the person's assailant unless the person reasonably believes he or she has exhausted every other reasonable means to escape from or otherwise avoid death or great bodily harm at the hands of his or her assailant.

939.48(2)(b) (b) The privilege lost by provocation may be regained if the actor in good faith withdraws from the fight and gives adequate notice thereof to his or her assailant.

939.48(2)(c) (c) A person who provokes an attack, whether by lawful or unlawful conduct, with intent to use such an attack as an excuse to cause death or great bodily harm to his or her assailant is not entitled to claim the privilege of self-defense.

So, I don't know, unless the prosecution can somehow show that Rittenhouse wasn't seriously trying to withdraw, but deliberately got himself cornered as an excuse to shoot people, I really don't see the charges sticking.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

In good news about self defense this guy was acquitted for trying to defend civilians from a roving gang that was driving around assaulting random pedestrians.

It took a while because the people he shot at were cops

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2021-09-03/man-who-shot-at-cops-in-unrest-over-floyd-death-is-acquitted

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/JeremyMcLellan/status/1459142966052892672?t=6keNv1dnQGQ_OkarmhuXWw&s=19

Been a while since I've seen a legitimately good conservative-level comedy tweet.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/JeremyMcLellan/status/1459142966052892672?t=6keNv1dnQGQ_OkarmhuXWw&s=19

Been a while since I've seen a legitimately good conservative-level comedy tweet.

You're still looking right?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Do you really get the self defense line when you illegally own a firearm that you transport across state lines to an event that you not only know, and anticipate, there to be violence at but where you specifically seek out those situations at?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bird food bathtub posted:

Do you really get the self defense line when you illegally own a firearm that you transport across state lines to an event that you not only know, and anticipate, there to be violence at but where you specifically seek out those situations at?

I'd actually say the first half you do (illegal transport or possession) you would have a valid claim. As a mental exercise just replace Pillsbury Rittenhouse with a POC Janitor who works in the Bronx going home each night around 3:00 AM and otherwise is clean and has little or no record.

Second half, eh not so much, but that also depends on if the person was doing anything to provoke (saying generally, not here).

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 12, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Kid's gonna walk. Any time he catches for weapon possession is going to be a pittance of what he deserves.

The Ahmaud Arbery case is a goddamn joke too. The defense attorney literally said they don't want any more black preachers showing up for the trial. I have a feeling they're about to have a few protests outside that courthouse. loving Georgia.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Kid's gonna walk. Any time he catches for weapon possession is going to be a pittance of what he deserves.

The Ahmaud Arbery case is a goddamn joke too. The defense attorney literally said they don't want any more black preachers showing up for the trial. I have a feeling they're about to have a few protests outside that courthouse. loving Georgia.

I'm pretty sure in that case those guys are (rightly) hosed. I mean if not for the original prosecutor that case would have probably been a model response at least from what I recall people saying local police and the GBI said.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I'd actually say the first half you do (illegal transport or possession) you would have a valid claim. As a mental exercise just replace Pillsbury Rittenhouse with a POC Janitor who works in the Bronx going home each night around 3:00 AM and otherwise is clean and has little or no record.

Second half, eh not so much, but that also depends on if the person was doing anything to provoke (saying generally, not here).

Depends. I would certainly have questions if the janitor decided to stop to hangout at a riot in Brunswick on his way home.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 12, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Prediction: he walks on everything including the weapons

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defenestrategy posted:

Depends. I would certainly have questions if the janitor decided to stop to hangout at a riot in Baltimore on his way home

Oh I agree, I just think (and the NY Gun case with the NYC Public Defenders AC) that sometimes it's best to remove the current example and see how one applies it to different ones and often the people we don't hear about and honestly NYC's system makes felons out of the innocent (which isn't unique to gun laws or NY of course).

But yeah showing up there is when the empathy train is starting to leave the station.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

You're still looking right?

C, points for being creative though

https://twitter.com/alistaircoleman/status/1459138994558705672?t=OCfsaK7Vt0NkWw-nSNLWAA&s=19

Hot take: best of both worlds, let the idiots believe there's an unvaccination bath as long as they get the loving shots

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

C, points for being creative though

https://twitter.com/alistaircoleman/status/1459138994558705672?t=OCfsaK7Vt0NkWw-nSNLWAA&s=19

Hot take: best of both worlds, let the idiots believe there's an unvaccination bath as long as they get the loving shots

I also read about people paying docs in Greece to get water injections and fake vax cards, but a bunch of doctors don't want to piss off the Government...so they just gave them the regular covid shots. lol

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I'm pretty sure in that case those guys are (rightly) hosed. I mean if not for the original prosecutor that case would have probably been a model response at least from what I recall people saying local police and the GBI said.

Yeah, I'm not so optimistic with the jury being 11/12th good ol' boy/girl. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended in a hung jury.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

A nice thing happened in the girls thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3984523

E_Motion posted:

I did a thing

(ignore the weird language k)

Nice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I also read about people paying docs in Greece to get water injections and fake vax cards, but a bunch of doctors don't want to piss off the Government...so they just gave them the regular covid shots. lol

quote:

Similarly, when a certain merchant had sold glass gems as real to his wife, and she (after discovering the trick) wanted him to be punished, Gallienus ordered that the merchant be seized and thrown to the lions. Then, a chicken was sent up from the amphitheater’s holding cage. When everyone was marveling at such an absurd sight, Gallienus ordered the herald to declare, ‘He has committed an imposture, and suffered one in turn.'

The source of the above is Historia Augusta, which means that it didn’t happen, but it’s a good story.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Nice. and thanks for reminding me to help the kids

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/femme_thoughts/status/1458479790068047878

Out of all the old TERF things to come out of the UK, I guess I should have expected for it to be involved in another inheritance fight among the aristocracy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Stultus Maximus posted:

Sure but I'm not talking about whether the justice system is biased towards white men. It's already established he's a white dude so he'll be treated properly by the law (ie the system works as designed) and this is as close to a smooth, frictionless temperature controlled legal surface as you get. I'm saying that as far as I can tell it is legally an example of self defense so trying to get him on intentional homicide might as well be throwing the case.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DuffelBlog/status/1459168818509590531?t=JdNXP2nqBbVFmDMdvgMycQ&s=19

Chefkiss

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Glad we didn't have a vets day deals thread this year. Plenty of other sites collecting that and I really don't care to be any part of it.

I was going to go weed deal shopping but the deals were poo poo so I didn't bother. No better than any other deals that pop up every weekend.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Glad we didn't have a vets day deals thread this year. Plenty of other sites collecting that and I really don't care to be any part of it.

I was going to go weed deal shopping but the deals were poo poo so I didn't bother. No better than any other deals that pop up every weekend.

Eh this may be one time where, “if you got it, flaunt it”, makes sense. It’s funny how the best deals seem to be either weed or gun focused. lol

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Eh this may be one time where, “if you got it, flaunt it”, makes sense. It’s funny how the best deals seem to be either weed or gun focused. lol

Very much a "know your audience" thing, yeah. Lots of pothead vets out there.

I mean, nothing was better priced (on weedmaps) than last time I restocked, same deals on the same quality stuff I see every time I open the app. I need to stock up before the end of the year though, medical limits changed on concentrates, from 40g to 8g, and they're instituting tracking between all stores, which is basically like the state keeping a record of everyone's federal crimes. Other states already do this (Illinois), but I'd like to get 6 months of concentrates now before they start logging every transaction on Jan 1.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My local dispensary offers a 20% vet discount on all purchases; you can even stack sales, to a max of 30% discount on most sales (some let you go higher) I try to max my savings, and last re-up, between sales/discount/rewards points, I ended up getting 1200$ value for 600$. They didn't count regular 5$ or 10$ off towards the max discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My favorite place does a once a month $25 of $100+ purchase, and has stacked my vet discount with it before but that depends on the tender. They're on the pricier side, but it tastes great compared to the $10/g shatter I typically buy.

If you ever find yourself in Colorado Springs with a medical card, go to Grant Pharms. Seriously tasty and potent stuff.