Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Motronic posted:

Yeah, this is a great idea if you want to make people who can't come up with 5+ figures all at once or a loan for it homeless.

Ok so hear me out. You have a community of housing structures, right? And so people can buy into, and sell out of, the part that they are inhabiting. They are also reponsible for maintaining the part that they have a financial interest in. Now, you might think, what about the communal parts? So what you do, is have every person with a financial interest in an inhabitable area of the community, contribute to a fund that is used to handle these communal projects. Of course there has to be someone actually taking tan executive role to make sure these projects are done, perhaps a group of elected individuals. We could call it a habitation renting coalition!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

PancakeTransmission posted:

quote:

She said she wants her friends and family to think she is pretty and be jealous of her
Nah it's fine man, I can see a happy future for you both

I kept thinking about this post all day and you know what occurred to me? Unless her friends are as insecure and immature as she is, I bet they wouldn't care. I bet she already has a reputation as a liar in their group anyway. She's torching a good relationship for a reaction she won't get from people who don't care and it wouldn't make her happy anyway.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Motronic posted:

Yeah, this is a great idea if you want to make people who can't come up with 5+ figures all at once or a loan for it homeless.

Well I have some good news about the current housing situation I guess

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

a better solution is for the property to be owned collectively by the tenants, with any given tenant gaining or losing a share of interest in the property at time of move in/move out

ah, a HOA

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dramatika posted:

Ok so hear me out. You have a community of housing structures, right? And so people can buy into, and sell out of, the part that they are inhabiting. They are also reponsible for maintaining the part that they have a financial interest in. Now, you might think, what about the communal parts? So what you do, is have every person with a financial interest in an inhabitable area of the community, contribute to a fund that is used to handle these communal projects. Of course there has to be someone actually taking tan executive role to make sure these projects are done, perhaps a group of elected individuals. We could call it a habitation renting coalition!

Maybe we could call it a Housing Oversight Administration.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my fiancee I am not willing to lie about how we met to her family and friends?

quote:

Just to be clear, my fiancee said that the reason she wants me to do the speech and tell people I bought her a house is so that her friends will envy her.

Sounds like another 'give me your house' situation in the making.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

A HOA doesn’t collectively own anything. They are more like a committee given power rather arbitrarily.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

A HOA doesn’t collectively own anything. They are more like a committee given power rather arbitrarily.

i urge you to do more research as to how HOAs work in reality, and not just form your opinions based on what people complain about online. there are many HOAs that manage common property, and they're effectively the same as a housing co-op

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Dramatika is talking about a housing cooperative. I think so anyways. I live near a couple of them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i urge you to do more research as to how HOAs work in reality, and not just form your opinions based on what people complain about online

I urge you to be less of a pretentious prick but I doubt you can do that

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Tarkus posted:

Dramatika is talking about a housing cooperative. I think so anyways. I live near a couple of them.

It was a HOA joke :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

That's not at all how an HOA works, but nice try.

They have a very real title encumbrance on every home in their domain. The reasons for this have a lot to do with municipalities cutting zoning variance deals with developers in order to up the muni tax base while not providing all of the municipal services to the people who live there and forcing them to contract out and pay for those services to private companies. And if they don't the municipality can and will come in and bill them for what they haven't done to the specification of the deal inked with the developer who is now long gone and left the residents to live with this situation.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Motronic posted:

That's not at all how an HOA works, but nice try.

They have a very real title encumbrance on every home in their domain. The reasons for this have a lot to do with municipalities cutting zoning variance deals with developers in order to up the muni tax base while not providing all of the municipal services to the people who live there.

So literally exactly what I said. Glad we sorted this out.

Unless you struggle to understand what collective means

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

So literally exactly what I said. Glad we sorted this out.

Unless you struggle to understand what collective means

If you think that's what you posted means, or is even in the ballpark of consistent with the post you just responded to it would seem it's you that's struggling with something.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

God drat. This woman is throwing up so many red flags I'm surprised she isn't being haunted by the ghost of Joe McCarthy.

This may be my new favorite disaster of a relationship

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my fiancee I am not willing to lie about how we met to her family and friends?

lol the complete lack of self-awareness of this lady is amazing:

quote:

she has been saying that I care more about the opinions of other people than how she feels
followed by:

quote:

she wants me to do the speech and tell people I bought her a house is so that her friends will envy her

Someone in this situation sure cares about the opinions of other people and it isn't the OP

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA For not wanting to go to my sister's wedding?

quote:

My sister is getting married next month. My husband and I were both planning on going but when we got the invitation it was only for me. When I called my sister and asked about it she said my husband was of course fine to come but she requested that he not be in any family photos.

My husband is in a wheelchair. I've been married to him for 8 years. He has been in a wheelchair since he was 16 and my family has always ever known him to be in his chair. Apparently my sister doesn't want him in any of her wedding photos because she is afraid that he'll take attention away from her because he is "different" . She justifies this by saying when people come over and see our family photo they always ask about him because hes the only one that is in a wheelchair so he stands out. She says she wants to be the main focus in her photos.

I was livid. I went off on her and told her she was being a selfish bridezilla. I told her we wouldn't be coming. I've been getting calls from parents and relatives telling me I need to apologize to my sister because now she's upset.. I'm angry at them for thinking it's OK to leave my husband out of family photos because of his disability. My husband hates being a burden on people and he says hes fine with not being in the photos. Which made me even angrier because now he feels bad about himself for something I feel is unwarranted.

Am I the rear end in a top hat if I don't support my sister's big day because of this? My husband says we should be there for family even if he can't be in the photos. My family says I need to apologize. But I feel like this is an issue I need to fight for. Am I wrong?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Dik Hz posted:

"Man lies to get laid" is hardly the giant leap you're making it out to be.

You had equally mindboggling bad takes on the same story, but not the same mindboggling bad take I was targeting.
So you'll have to lay out again why you in particular are really mad about a guy having his biological clock start ringing when faced with an unexpected kid, also what that has to do with getting laid with uh... the pregnant ex? What are you even saying?

Grape fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 13, 2021

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

A real man is ashamed of and hides his actions.
the perfect blend of :decorum: and food takes for this thread

quote:

Worst of all from this point of view are those more uncivilized forms of eating, like licking an ice cream cone --a catlike activity that has been made acceptable in informal America but that still offends those who know eating in public is offensive.

I fear I may by this remark lose the sympathy of many reader, people who will condescendingly regard as quaint or even priggish the view that eating in the street is for dogs. Modern America's rising tide of informality has already washed out many long-standing traditions -- their reasons long before forgotten -- that served well to regulate the boundary between public and private; and in many quarters complete shamelessness is treated as proof of genuine liberation from the allegedly arbitrary constraints of manners. To cite one small example: yawning with uncovered mouth. Not just the uneducated rustic but children of the cultural elite are now regularly seen yawning openly in public (not so much brazenly or forgetfully as indifferently and "naturally"), unaware that it is an embarrassment to human self-command to be caught in the grip of involuntary bodily movements (like sneezing, belching, and hiccuping and even the involuntary bodily display of embarrassment itself, blushing). But eating on the street -- even when undertaken, say, because one is between appointments and has no other time to eat -- displays in fact precisely such lack of self-control: It beckons enslavement to the belly. Hunger must be sated now; it cannot wait. Though the walking street eater still moves in the direction of his vision, he shows himself as a being led by his appetites. Lacking utensils for cutting and lifting to mouth, he will often be seen using his teeth for tearing off chewable portions, just like any animal. Eating on the run does not even allow the human way of enjoying one's food, for it is more like simple fueling; it is hard to savor or even to know what one is eating when the main point is to hurriedly fill the belly, now running on empty. This doglike feeding, if one must engage in it, ought to be kept from public view, where, even if WE feel no shame, others are compelled to witness our shameful behavior."

Kass, Leon: The Hungry Soul at 148-149. (University of Chicago Press, 1994, 1999)

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
AITA For Being Upset About Receiving a Cheap Engagement Ring

quote:

My fiance and I are childhood best friends and we've been together for years. Marriage has always been a topic of discussion, but we finally decided to make it official. He proposed to me earlier this year. I have always been a woman who doesn't care for diamonds or price-points. I told him $10,000 rings didn't matter to me, as long as he truly loved me. Despite the title, I want to say I am not a material person. I have never felt money in an indicator of love.

However, last week I was scrolling on Amazon and noticed a photo of my engagement ring popped up. The ring he proposed with was very unique, with fire opals and a black band so there was no mistaking that it was my ring. It was listed as selling for $8. Honestly, by the time I saw it the colors on my ring were rubbing off so I knew it wasn't a billion dollar piece of jewelry. Still, I was upset. Both of us work. We are lucky enough to have jobs that give us $300 each in extra spending money a month. While we are saving, we're not broke. I was hoping he would have at least spent $50 on something that is meant to symbolize our commitment to each other for the rest of our lives.

I tried to talk to him about it and he admitted that was the correct price and the same listing he had bought it from. Other than that, he wouldn't talk about it. I tried to brush it off to avoid making him upset but he stormed off. As much as I want to say that it doesn't matter to me and money means nothing, I feel a little hurt that he would buy such a cheap ring. I was raised poor, and I do not view money as important in a relationship. I've told him a million times that I would love him even if we were living on the streets. Still, the fact that he only spent eight dollars kind of makes me feel like poo poo. Like, is our engagement really only worth $8?

Reasons I think I might be the rear end in a top hat: I have always stressed a lack of importance on money and I told him outright the price didn't matter. It is lovely of me to change that idea now.

Like c'mon man spring for something more durable than the plastic spider rings on the 5 ticket prize shelf.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dramatika posted:

It was a HOA joke :v:

It may have been a joke but it really is how co-ops work. When you buy into a co-op what you're really buying is a number of shares in the legal entity that owns the building, and those shares are accompanied by the exclusive right to occupy a certain apartment. You make recurring payments to the co-op because it's responsible for all the public and non-habitable areas of the building. I think it's even an actual HOA legally, just not one that can be used for abuse because no one has a lawn or an exterior paint job to complain about.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

haveblue posted:

It may have been a joke but it really is how co-ops work. When you buy into a co-op what you're really buying is a number of shares in the legal entity that owns the building, and those shares are accompanied by the exclusive right to occupy a certain apartment. You make recurring payments to the co-op because it's responsible for all the public and non-habitable areas of the building. I think it's even an actual HOA legally, just not one that can be used for abuse because no one has a lawn or an exterior paint job to complain about.

And back to the reason this began in the thread as I understand it: a co-op buy in is not nearly as achievable as "renting an apartment", and a lot of people simply can't achieve that. I sure as hell couldn't for a lot for a lot of my life, so whenever I see the "guillotine all landlords" thing I'm left wondering exactly what the gently caress early 20s me would have done for housing if I didn't have the option to rent.

And by that I mean realistically, not in an imagined universe where everything can change immediately and at a whim because you posted about it on the internet and got some likes/comments/upvotes. None of this solves the housing problem, which is all because of financial inequality. People owning/renting multiple properties for profit is a SYMPTOM, not a cause. You don't fix things by treating symptoms.

Thank you for listening to my ted talk.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 13, 2021

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Scaevolus posted:

the perfect blend of :decorum: and food takes for this thread

Haha, some dipshit mistyped 1894-1899, as 1994-1999

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Just that excerpt alone has some serious Jordan Peterson vibes.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for screaming at my sister she's a "poisonous bitch?" and blaming the rest of my family for her behavior?

quote:

This happened a good while ago but I'm still wondering if I should have just kept my mouth shut or not. I, 26 f, was with my family getting ready for a family meal one evening waiting for my brother and sister, 31 to get home. We're all still living together, she's still looking for a house of her own. When my sister and brother got home, the minute my sister got in the door she immediately started ranting about something my brother had bought, stating it was a waste of money. She kept at it and at it, like she was deliberately causing trouble. Before she came in the door, I had a cup of tea ready for her to be nice, and she never said thank you for that. My mother was so upset about the ranting that she went off to bed. The evening was ruined, everyone was upset by now. The rest of us, including sister, were sitting at the table for a while, she kept taking jibes at everyone and calling the dinner disgusting, making faces, etc.

She started drinking the cup of tea I had made for her and made a face, indicating it was disgusting. By now, I'd had enough of it, so I got up and tried to take it away. If she wasn't even going to say thank you, throw it back in my face, I didn't want to stand for it. She resisted and we both started crying, she started tilting the cup to the side to spill it and then blame it on me, saying "Don't spill the tea." My dad said "Stop, you're just adding fuel to the fire." But I didn't care at that time, I was fed up of her attitude.

I gave up and in frustration, I yelled at her "Poisonous bitch." I then went into a full blown rant at her and the rest of my family, calling them cowards for not standing up to her. They all kept sitting there staring, not saying anything and I could not stick it. I told her, even though I doubt it went anywhere, "She's a toxic bitch, none of you will say anything. Bulldozes in here, ruins the evening and upsets everyone, makes it all about herself, and not one of you loving cowards will stand up to her, won't even apologize, and there she is crying trying to act like she's the victim. Well it's no loving wonder she's the way she is, you all pussyfoot around her like she's so delicate."

Nothing even changed the next few days, she never apologized.

OP must be adopted because backbones are hereditary.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Motronic posted:

People owning/renting multiple properties for profit is a SYMPTOM, not a cause. You don't fix things by treating symptoms.
But screaming about it makes my pp the big pp therefore it is better than fixing the actual problem

I'm all for guillotining landlords but I'm in the same boat. I would literally be homeless if my family weren't renting. What is the proposed solution, *right now*, after guillotining said landlords? Y'all never think past Step 1.

E:

Hughlander posted:

AITA for screaming at my sister she's a "poisonous bitch?" and blaming the rest of my family for her behavior?

OP must be adopted because backbones are hereditary.
Holy poo poo that entire family needs to be lit on fire.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 13, 2021

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Wait this coop stuff sounds like the same poo poo that's everywhere in Sweden where youre technically buying shares in the building and that allows you to live there.

Surprise it doesn't get rid of bad landlords or ludicrously expensive housing.

Oh but it does mean theres another layer of approval renters have to go through and all the discrimination that comes with it :v:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Motronic posted:

so whenever I see the "guillotine all landlords" thing I'm left wondering exactly what the gently caress early 20s me would have done for housing if I didn't have the option to rent.

Tell em of your need comrade

https://twitter.com/LunaOi_VN/status/1457883135090192394?s=20

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xun posted:

Wait this coop stuff sounds like the same poo poo that's everywhere in Sweden where youre technically buying shares in the building and that allows you to live there.

Surprise it doesn't get rid of bad landlords or ludicrously expensive housing.

Oh but it does mean theres another layer of approval renters have to go through and all the discrimination that comes with it :v:

A lot of people who give advice on renting seem to be like those women who purposefully let their friend try all their wild ideas for a marriage until it destroyed it so they knew what not to do.

Japan is giving out free houses and land and nobody wants it because it turns out when the catch is "oh yeah you live in a community thats been dying for 40 years now and is 4 hours drive from a city big enough to have real stores and jobs" nobody wants it. Housing is complex!

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 13, 2021

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Imagine thinking we'd get to the point of being able to be guillotining landlords without also having the social power to house people

Is this that capitalist realism thing I hear about

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

But screaming about it makes my pp the big pp therefore it is better than fixing the actual problem

I'm all for guillotining landlords but I'm in the same boat. I would literally be homeless if my family weren't renting. What is the proposed solution, *right now*, after guillotining said landlords? Y'all never think past Step 1.

E:

Holy poo poo that entire family needs to be lit on fire.

I mean it depends on what you do after executing the landlords? Like in Rome, during the proscriptions, they'd execute the landlords and sell the property to other rich well-connected people (like Crassius) so very little changed. In Russia or China the state would seize the properties and rent them out. There's a funny scene in Dr. Zhivago when he returns from the war and finds like four families living in his house. And in Cambodia they'd execute the landlords and then move all the tenants out to the countryside and then execute them for enabling landlords. As you can see there's a wide variety of next steps.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for getting mad because my gf let her brother stay in our apartment without permission?

quote:

I (23M) and my girlfriend (21F) have been dating for 2 years. I started dating her because I was attracted to her intelligence, she always gave me good advice in work and personal matters. She is very successful career-wise and doesn't let anyone walk over her. But I have been questioning this impression of her lately.

I moved in with her six months after we started dating. Her brother (then 16) was already living with her at the time as their parents passed away. To be honest, it was uncomfortable living with a third person because I couldn't spend quality time with my girlfriend and I could tell her brother didn't like me. I put up with it because he was still a kid and I felt bad for their situation.

Last month, the brother turned 18. Although my girlfriend's name is on the contract, I help pay the bills and do chores around the house. But the brother has never contributed financially. It's not like he can't - he's worked part-time jobs since he was 15 but my girlfriend refuses to let him pay to stay with us because he needs the money for his "college fund".

I was fine with this until he became an adult. Now, he should have to do his part and I told him as such. He said he would do more chores and run errands instead of paying because he "doesn't have money" - despite having 2 part-time jobs - so I went to my girlfriend about it. She said that if I felt the split wasn't fair, she would pay two-thirds of the rent on behalf of her brother and I could pay the rest. I started to get angry then and told her that it's not right for her to be letting an adult man leech off us.

I made it very clear that the brother shouldn't be living with us now that he's no longer a minor. He has been constantly leeching off my girlfriend by letting her pay for his tuition fees, college applications etc while giving nothing in return. When both of them started ignoring me I packed up the brother's stuff and told him to leave.

My girlfriend went totally nuts. She threw a hissy fit and said that I was overstepping my boundaries. She went on this spiel about how her family is her top priority (even though I'm the one who supported her for the last couple years) and how I had no right to bully an 18-year-old. When I tried to explain how she's being a pushover for letting her brother walk all over her she screamed to get out and never come back. I was obviously shocked at being kicked out of my own home so I refused, and she threatened me with the police. I grabbed my stuff and went, and I'm now waiting for her to get over it so I can return.

I've had to stay on a friend's couch for the last few days because my girlfriend of 2 years cares about doing everything for another man, completely ignoring how she overstepped my boundaries by allowing an outsider in our place. AITA for getting upset?

She made it quite clear she's not your gf any more dude...

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think BlackRock would be an effective steward of America's housing and that they would create value for both shareholders and stakeholders.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol so her little brother turns into "another man" the second he hits 18.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Do you suppose guy never went to college, or had to pay for college himself because of absent parents and now everyone needs to pull up their bootstraps just like him?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for an incident after being "rejected" at the arcade? (hard to explain, please read)

quote:

TL/DR: Went to play Pump It Up, tried to help a family, was somewhat ignored, ultimately the mom shoved my stuff. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

I arrive at Dave and Busters and I see a family at the Pump It Up machine. Pump It Up is a dance game commonly seen in arcades, and I play it a lot. The mother and daughter, both casuals, just finished stage 2. There were 7 credits in the machine, which is not common at all. Usually, the techs can pump 2-3 credits into the machine to incentivize people to play Pump, but never have I seen 7 credits in the machine at any given time. I said hi and put my backpack, water bottle, phone on the table next to the machine, and I took out my card to put it on the machine, a common etiquette for dance gamers. When they were done with their set, I asked if I could play next, and she kinda brushed me to the side. I asked about the credits, and the mom said that all of the 7 credits were hers, which I am doubtful of. They went again, and the daughter failed on the second song. At that point, I offered some tips and got her to agree to play with me for that last round so I can show her how to play. I picked a song she played before, just on a higher difficulty. At the end, she commented “how do you even get 900+ perfects?” (I sense some jealousy for a perceived flex on my part)

Then I asked if I could do a quick set of doubles, and she didn’t explicitly say no. I admit that I didn’t put in a credit for that. I didn’t take up too much of their time. I sensed that the mom started getting frustrated then. After my set, I asked if I could play with her again, and I apologized and reimbursed her a credit. She looked more towards her kids, asking if her kids wanted to play, and when they didn’t respond, she started the set by herself without my input. She wanted to play this one song, and I tried to show her how to get there, so I joined, which used one of her credits. I suggested that we try level 1s to make it easy. We couldn't pick the song we wanted, and the song started. She was frustrated. In the middle of the song, she stopped playing and then shoved my stuff off the table. My water bottle was open, so there was a spill. I was shocked and upset inside, but that was overwhelmed by amusement, because who does this kind of stuff? At this point, the family was gone entirely, and there were still 4 credits left. I spoke to a staff member about this incident. After my set, I hunted down this family and started my apology. However, the mom didn’t want to hear my apology, claiming that I leeched off their credits. I didn’t finish my apology. I laughed it off for the most part, but some part of me feels a little guilty, and another part of me feels upset.

In my time in the arcades, whether it be DDR or Pump It Up, casuals have been more willing to cooperate with “more experienced” players like me. I have always thought of myself as an ambassador for the dance game community. So I was taken aback by this experience.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I really like how the dude moved in with her, to the apartment with her brother already in it, but now it's "our" apartment and the brother can't stay.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
I love it when modern leftists decide that the answer to the housing crisis is co-ops, otherwise known as the only residential legal structure that tends to be more racist and classist than HOAs.

Dealing with Co-op committee bullshit is so widely known to be terrible that co-op apartments sell at a discount to comparable condos (in NYC at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Dik Hz posted:

One of these two is true, if we believe OP:

1) Childfree dude has epiphany and decides he wants kids when he finds out ex is pregnant with his child.

2) Dude was lying to OP about being Childfree to get laid.

There isn't enough info in the story to determine which is true. I really want to believe 1, but in my heart I'm cynical so I think 2 is more likely. I don't think anyone in this thread is saying that OP and dude should stay together or that dude shouldn't parent his kid. But who knows.

I'm full of horrible DNA (Autism, Major Depression, schizophrenic parent) so I've never wanted to have kids. However, when a partner of mine got pregnant I decided to buckle down and be the best mentally ill dad I could be. Ultimately, it turned out she was faking the whole thing. Then we broke up and I'm pretty sure she faked moving overseas and drowning in a lake. A friend of hers messaged me to tell me about a year later, but I don't know enough details to confirm it one way or the other.

I guess the bottom line is: I'm still super relieved that she wasn't pregnant and I can go back to my childless existence, but it possible to not want kids and still recognise you've gotta deal with your new kid.

Also from what I understand, being 'childfree' as opposed to just not wanting kids is a whole ~aesthetic~ and I reckon being able to pull off 'fake childfree' to gently caress someone would be the same as being a 'fake socialist' or 'fake religious'. If they're at all skeptical, you're just not gonna get away with it.