Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah there's about zero chance of it under the current political alignment. A lot can change in 10-20 years, but as it stands, there are just vastly too many conservatives and center-left types relative to everything else.

Yeah this nation is going to look wildly different, politically, in 10-20 years. Wildly different. There's room for hope, even if it means I'll be in my 50s when we really start getting things done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Willa Rogers posted:

Good for you! You showed those lefties!

btw, what percentage of your income does next year's health insurance, deductible & copays eat up?

Yeah, after I saw how they shivved Sanders & Corbyn, plus various downticket candidates for Congress (now continuing through blue state-level redistrcting), I hold no illusions about the chances of any leftists actually effecting change through electoralism.

It can happen but it would be the end result of a much larger (and very ugly) struggle with the ruling classes wherein they decide to share power to avoid a larger and more costly conflict. It won’t happen on it’s own outside of a few edge cases right now though because they have no incentive to stop cheating at the moment.

You should all start unions is what I’m saying.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

How are u posted:

Yeah this nation is going to look wildly different, politically, in 10-20 years. Wildly different. There's room for hope, even if it means I'll be in my 50s when we really start getting things done.

Yeah, you can say that again.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdob...sh=24a987f9456c

quote:

Alameda, Monterey, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Santa Monica, Newport Beach, La Jolla and San Diego are all high-risk zones in the state. 1,300 square miles of land lie less than 3 feet above the high tide line in California, Oregon and Washington.

Miami, Pensacola, St. Petersburg, Fort Myers, Naples, Key West, Daytona Beach, Jacksonville and Miami Beach are all high-risk zones in the state.

Honolulu/Oahu, Mokuoloe/Oahu, Kahului/Maui, Kawaihoe/Hawaii, Hilo/Hawaii are all in high risk zones in the state.

Boston, Cambridge, Quincy are all high risk areas.

Statewide in Louisiana, more than one million people live below 6 feet, including roughly a quarter million that appear to lack levee protection. Louisiana has more than 5,631 square miles of land at less than 6 feet, half of which is in 5 Parishes: Terrebonne, Cameron, Vermilion, Lafourche, and St. Mary – increasing to 6,791 square miles less than 10 ft above the tide line.

Atlantic City, Bergen Point. 285 square miles of land lie less than 5 feet above the high tide line in New Jersey. 30% of the total property value sitting on land below 5 ft, falls within just Atlantic City, Ocean City and Beach Haven.

Manhattan, Battery, Hamptons, Montauk are all in high risk areas. 120 square miles of land lie less than 6 feet above the high tide line in New York.

Corpus Christie, Houston, Rockport, Freeport, Galveston. Texas has 685,000 acres of land, or more than 1,000 square miles, at less than 5 feet. Harris and Cameron counties combine to make more than half of the 5-foot exposure – and the city of Houston makes up one quarter of this overall exposure.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

selec posted:

Man I cannot come up with a more bad faith reading of Sanders than maybe those “three houses/millionaire” veiled antisemetic takes wine moms have about him

Yeah, gently caress that. I like Bernie. I voted for Bernie last primary even if by then he was pretty obviously sunk. But he's a politician, and has been for longer than my adult life, and for most of that his brand was that of the outspoken independent rather than that of actually shaping national politics. While the Bernie the left fell in love with was the Bernie who was unsullied by risking anything or changing anything.

Just for one simple thing, if Bernie had spent his legislative career as formally a Democrat, without changing a single vote or stance of his past (since he was seldom actually alone on what he did and often didn't vote "pure" anyway), it would have increased his chance of being President today more than any counterfactual about the "ratfucking" of 2016 or 2020. And he'd be supported by most of the same people. Just, you know, the people today complaining Bernie=Domesticated and AOC=CIA would never have hitched onto his wagon in the first place since they seem to find positive change (short of total victory) way less interesting than shedding a tear for an outcast martyr.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

papa horny michael posted:

I've always heard from staffers that they don't care about mail, or phone calls, to the offices. Unless it's a big media blitz of pressure, but otherwise that mail and calling don't persuade politicians from their positions. That neither are worth anything. Does anyone have any experience here?

They care, but individual letters don't make it to the actual elected official unless it is something major. They usually just have a spreadsheet with tallys for Pro, Con, and Form Letter.

If you sign one of those mass email lists, then they usually start going to spam once they receive the 200th identical email.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I'm genuinely glad to hear about all the activism and organizing people in this thread are doing. That's how we're going to get real change. I'm trying to do my small part too.

I wish forcing the vote would make a difference but I just think it has the potential to backfire on us. I think AOC reneging on her pledge was the right call and I'd rather have a representative willing to change her mind and adapt to new information and circumstances. I'm glad she's my rep as she's better than pretty much every other rep.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Rosalind posted:

I'm genuinely glad to hear about all the activism and organizing people in this thread are doing. That's how we're going to get real change. I'm trying to do my small part too.

I wish forcing the vote would make a difference but I just think it has the potential to backfire on us. I think AOC reneging on her pledge was the right call and I'd rather have a representative willing to change her mind and adapt to new information and circumstances. I'm glad she's my rep as she's better than pretty much every other rep.

If you're - at the very least - disappointed, if not outright upset that Biden campaigned on a $15 minimum wage and then unceremoniously dropped it, I don't understand how you can't parse someone being, again, at the absolute bare minimum, disappointed, if not outright upset that AOC campaigned on forcing a floor vote on Medicare for All and then produced a busy olive garden's Friday night worth of word salad to justify abandoning it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

selec posted:

Imagine having Nancy Pelosi ride your rear end for not raising enough money so the party can run Amy McGrath or whoever they set up in some chud district, and then you have to watch them support your challenger. What a messed up life to choose.

Lmao imagine respecting her at all, tbh. Couldn’t be me, but not all of us are fit to the purpose.

I was thinking of constituent call time being more obsequious on their end, as they have to be with donors.

"Yes, Ms. Rogers; I understand your concerns & I promise to do everything in my power to whip my caucus into supporting joining the rest of the world when it comes to healthcare and eradicating medical bankruptcy.

"Oops, gotta go; Blue Cross lobbyists & my billionaire husband are on the other lines! Great talking to you!"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Yep. It's happening. Ron Paul would be so excited.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

If you're - at the very least - disappointed, if not outright upset that Biden campaigned on a $15 minimum wage and then unceremoniously dropped it, I don't understand how you can't parse someone being, again, at the absolute bare minimum, disappointed, if not outright upset that AOC campaigned on forcing a floor vote on Medicare for All and then produced a busy olive garden's Friday night worth of word salad to justify abandoning it.

As a general rule, a promise to do something stupid is still doing something stupid. Now we can easily and readily disagree as to whether or not X is stupid, but I certainly would rather the stupid thing not be done than the promise followed through on.

But that assumes a certain model of representation where I'm more interested in the exercise of general agency by my representative than fulfilling exact promises said in the campaign. I prefer to think of campaign pledges as individual data points that build a sense of their fitness for office than fairy oaths that must be followed lest the oathbreaker turn into a pumpkin. I'll grant that some people take things more literally than that, there's no uniform heuristic for voting.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
There's been more hope recently with the news that my former congresswoman, and current Secretary of the Interior, Deb Haaland will be campaigning for the climate positions of Biden's build, back, better programs. She didn't have a ton of luck with Warren outreach to tribal groups during the primaries, but I think she'll have much more sway now pushing for acceptance of the Biden climate and green technology provisions. https://www.eenews.net/articles/haaland-makes-cop-26-pitch/

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

kaynorr posted:

As a general rule, a promise to do something stupid is still doing something stupid. Now we can easily and readily disagree as to whether or not X is stupid, but I certainly would rather the stupid thing not be done than the promise followed through on.

But that assumes a certain model of representation where I'm more interested in the exercise of general agency by my representative than fulfilling exact promises said in the campaign. I prefer to think of campaign pledges as individual data points that build a sense of their fitness for office than fairy oaths that must be followed lest the oathbreaker turn into a pumpkin. I'll grant that some people take things more literally than that, there's no uniform heuristic for voting.

I mean, ultimately it's up to her to make the calculation if the supporters she's going to burn outweighs the support she's received from her Party since softening her positions. I'm not going to have any regrets about withholding financial and rhetorical support for her, though.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Lib and let die posted:

Wasn't it voted down a few months ago by Sinema and a few 7 others, but Biden gave it to all Federal workers/contractors via EO? I wish the vote hadn't failed but saying Biden "unceremoniously dropped it" doesn't really seem accurate.

quote:

"There should be a national minimum wage of $15 an hour," Biden said during his first address to a joint session of Congress on April 28. "Nobody working 40 hours a week should be living below the poverty line."
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/08/business/minimum-wage-biden-walmart/index.html

quote:

The president allayed a range of concerns around the economy during a Thursday press conference. Among them is the nationwide labor shortage, which has seen hiring slow despite millions of Americans still being unemployed. The shortage may be delaying a full labor-market recovery, but he told journalists at the White House there's an easy solution.

"I remember you were asking me ... 'Guess what? Employers can't find workers.' I said, 'Pay them more!'" the president said in his distinctive whisper-shout.
https://www.businessinsider.com/biden-labor-shortage-solution-pay-workers-more-job-market-hiring-2021-6?r=US&IR=T

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 13, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Baronash posted:

I can understand why AOC wouldn't want to force a vote on M4A when Lee Carter did exactly that with the already doomed RTW repeal in Virginia and the resulting narrative (including in this forum) was that VA Democrats voting down the bill (which, again, was already procedurally doomed) was somehow his fault.
Yeah I'm glad FTV didn't happen because then I didn't have to be driven insane by reading all the takes that nobody who voted it down bears any responsibility at all for choosing to vote against healthcare, it was actually all AOCs fault somehow.

If you bottle something up in committee and refuse to vote on it you get credit for the theoretical possibility that you might have voted yes, but if someone makes you vote on it and you vote 'nay' that's not your fault and all the blame fur your actions goes on the person who made you pick a side because asking you to do your job and vote on legislation is v rude <:mad:>

Oh god what have I done I smell toast

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 13, 2021

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Baronash posted:

I can understand why AOC wouldn't want to force a vote on M4A when Lee Carter did exactly that with the already doomed RTW repeal in Virginia and the resulting narrative (including in this forum) was that VA Democrats voting down the bill (which, again, was already procedurally doomed) was somehow his fault.

Iirc he was such a gigantic rear end in a top hat to the members of his own party that he exploded any previous consensus or working relationships that might have helped get the bill passed. He tied the hostage down to the train tracks and shot them dead before the train even came ‘round the bend. Which is pretty on-brand for internet leftists tbh

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

Iirc he was such a gigantic rear end in a top hat to the members of his own party that he exploded any previous consensus or working relationships that might have helped get the bill passed. He tied the hostage down to the train tracks and shot them dead before the train even came ‘round the bend. Which is pretty on-brand for internet leftists tbh

That's the narrative the OP was talking about!

Apparently it's very rude to make centrists vote down actually left laws.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

Wasn't it voted down a few months ago by Sinema and a few 7 others, but Biden gave it to all Federal workers/contractors via EO? I wish the vote hadn't failed but saying Biden "unceremoniously dropped it" doesn't really seem accurate.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/08/business/minimum-wage-biden-walmart/index.html

You're right, "allowed the party of which he is ostensibly the figurehead of to maliciously means-test it so it precludes most of the American working population" would be a much more accurate description of what happened to the $15 minimum wage!

Harold Fjord posted:

That's the narrative the OP was talking about!

Apparently it's very rude to make centrists vote down actually left laws.

The very rude internet leftists, who are very unfair and mean to your favorite politicians (The Dems!!),

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

idiotsavant posted:

Sounds like a moderate Dem, ha.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In 2014 only 60% of Americans made over $15 an hour. Now it's 80%. It's rough because when Fight for 15 first started, it was regarded as being too aspirational a figure ("can we try $12?"). Now it's too low of a figure for all but the poorest of Americans to benefit from. And the insufficiency of $15 is only getting worse by the day with prices going up.

Politically, I wonder if advocates should start pitching it not as "raise the minimum wage" but as "raise wages". I think people who currently make $15-20 an hour don't realize that a $15 minwage would put extreme upward pressure on their wages. Pass the minimum wage, index it to inflation, and throw in some policies to incentivize employers to raise non-minimum wages on top of that.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I think Representative Ocasio-Cortez is pretty inspirational, even if she's far from perfect. My personal favorite Representative is Representative Porter. And, of course, supporting local politicians and/or getting involved yourself is almost its own reward! There is still hope for us all, I think.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

idiotsavant posted:

I heard he was so abrasive that his rudeness traveled back in time and forced all those people to kill the bill in committee the year before too and the year before that.

What I can't understand is why the governor totally forgot that it was all Carter's fault and responded to a question about RTW with the frank answer that it wasn't in the cards because the business community opposed it and not because of Carter's sassy tweets. Can't believe Carter tweeted so hard it mindwiped the governor!

https://richmond.com/news/virginia/...bac525f9b9.html

quote:

Gov. Ralph Northam made clear to his revenue advisory council on Monday that he does not support repeal of Virginia’s right-to-work law that forbids compulsory union membership.

With Democrats preparing to take complete control of the General Assembly for the first time in more than 25 years, Northam sought to reassure Virginia business leaders that the state won’t take a sharp leftward turn on an issue that has long been a political fire alarm in a pro-business state.

“I can’t foresee Virginia taking actions [that would include] repeal of the right-to-work law,” he told the Governor’s Advisory Council on Revenue Estimates.

And the 2021 gubernatorial candidate!
https://www.virginiamercury.com/2021/06/03/he-opposed-right-to-work-repeal-before-but-mcauliffe-wont-say-take-a-clear-stance-now/

quote:

However, McAuliffe was a little clearer in a discussion earlier this year with the Democratic Business Council of Northern Virginia.

“If it came to my desk, sure I’d sign it,” McAuliffe said according to a video clip of the event. “But listen, you can’t get it through the House and Senate.”

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

It had failed for years in a row before and has failed every year since, thus vindicating him. He was tired of pretending it was still going to ever happen. It was never going to pass in a million years and they just blamed him for it even tho they voted against it, but that was going to happen anyway.

I dont fault the centrist backlash against his upsetting their little dog and pony show, what annoyed me what how much pushback and grief he got from other leftists for actually shaking things up like they claimed they wanted.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

idiotsavant posted:

Well sure that's the thing right. You can't be a firebrand who demands change from your own party and also a diplomatic negotiator who builds trust and relationships. You can't do both at the same time. Being a fighter means members of your own party will hate you. You can argue there's some way Lee could have threaded the needle and you'd probably be right but that's all hindsight. The issue is not that there is a magic path forward for progressive politicians that they're too stupid to see, is that the party hates progressive politics and we keep blaming the progressives for loving it up somehow.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Fighting members of your own party by demanding your own bill be shoved ahead of theirs in a packed legislative queue isn't very effective because everyone thinks their own pet bill is most important or at least important enough to be considered in the negotiated order.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

If you are presented with a bill you want to pass and vote against it because the guy who pushed it to a vote is a big rude meanie man, you didn't want the bill to pass

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Lib and let die posted:

You're right, "allowed the party of which he is ostensibly the figurehead of to maliciously means-test it so it precludes most of the American working population" would be a much more accurate description of what happened to the $15 minimum wage!

That doesn't seem any more accurate, being a federal employee or not isn't means testing, that's just the workers Biden can give it to with an EO.

Eight dem (and of course, 50 GOP) senators voted the idea down, and having them vote down this doesn't seem to have put any pressure on them. Sinema got some flak for the terrible curtsey and was perhaps embarrassed when people pointed out her previous tweets supporting a higher min wage, but that's already been eclipsed by her sabotage of BBB, and none of the others seem to have suffered anything.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Fighting members of your own party by demanding your own bill be shoved ahead of theirs in a packed legislative queue isn't very effective because everyone thinks their own pet bill is most important or at least important enough to be considered in the negotiated order.

They all said they supported it passing, should've been the work of a minute lol. The left needs more assholes and the point of course is that he was right and the party even ran on admitting it afterwards

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

It had failed for years in a row before and has failed every year since, thus vindicating him. He was tired of pretending it was still going to ever happen. It was never going to pass in a million years and they just blamed him for it even tho they voted against it, but that was going to happen anyway.

It's a Catch-22. You either sit quietly and politely and let them kill it in committee year after year or you force a vote and then they vote it down and blame you.

What's interesting is that the narrative appears to have been entirely concocted within progressive or left-liberal discourse to rationalize to themselves their support for the centrist wing of the party that just kneecapped labor.

The actual bigwigs like the governor or former/wannabe governor didn't bother with citing twitter drama or parliamentary :decorum: to justify it they just straight up said "yeah we're a pro-business party so we aren't doing that", it was everyone who didn't want to acknowledge Virginia Dems were first and foremost the pro-business party that invented these comforting excuses.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

They all said they supported it passing, should've been the work of a minute lol. The left needs more assholes and the point of course is that he was right and the party even ran on admitting it afterwards

They supported passing it through the ordinary process that every other bill was going through. The reason Lee doesn't get to be a very special little boy who gets to cut in line is because then everyone wants to cut in line. Like this is one of the most basic things you learn about being a legislator even at the high school model legislature is that if you don't play by the same rules everyone else does, they don't owe you poo poo.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

If you are presented with a bill you want to pass and vote against it because the guy who pushed it to a vote is a big rude meanie man, you didn't want the bill to pass

Who are we going to believe, all the other leftist politicians in Virginia that had been Lee's allies and working on passing the bill as well, plus all the socialist-electing voters in his district who kicked him to the curb for being an rear end in a top hat who ruined something great because it might get him enough attention to not be blown out in his vanity gubernatorial run? Or the guy who actually did the bad thing with every incentive to cast the outcome as a vast conspiracy against him?

Then again, he IS really good at owning libs on twitter...

I just don't know WHO has the right read on the situation!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

1337JiveTurkey posted:

They supported passing it through the ordinary process that every other bill was going through. The reason Lee doesn't get to be a very special little boy who gets to cut in line is because then everyone wants to cut in line. Like this is one of the most basic things you learn about being a legislator even at the high school model legislature is that if you don't play by the same rules everyone else does, they don't owe you poo poo.

Reason Will Prevail!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Correct. His gamble was that they were lying, based on this also being the same thing they'd been saying for years, hence his gambit

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Do they support passing it, or putting it through regular process?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's wild that party leaders can say "yeah the votes arent there, it was always going to die" and you will still get truly credulous folk who insist it just didnt follow the correct procedure.

It was right of Lee Carter to push for that vote, and it would have been right to force a vote on M4A. Abolish any pretension that they are your allies.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

Who are we going to believe, all the other leftist politicians in Virginia that had been Lee's allies and working on passing the bill as well, plus all the socialist-electing voters in his district who kicked him to the curb for being an rear end in a top hat who ruined something great because it might get him enough attention to not be blown out in his vanity gubernatorial run? Or the guy who actually did the bad thing with every incentive to cast the outcome as a vast conspiracy against him?

Probably the governor who deadass said "no we aren't doing that because we're a pro-business state", idk maybe he was lying but that sounded believable to me.

Maybe the governor was lying and the real reason pro-business centrists hosed over workers was purely because of twitter drama but that doesn't sound better in fact that makes them sound just as bad as the guy doing bad tweets if not worse.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Sounds like Right To Work repeal wasn't a priority if it kept ending up at the back of the line year after year and then wasn't even brought up in the regular process even after Carter lost his primary and wasn't trying to "cut in line" anymore.

In unrelated news I heard Democrats just barely lost the Assembly and every single statewide office at once, and I've heard that labor runs strong get-out-the-vote efforts for Democrats in states where they have the resources or at least they used to, if only someone in Virginia had thought up a way to strengthen unions during their years in power which might have tipped the scale, oh well.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Lee Carter pushed that vote because if it passed he'd get to claim he was a big hero who saved Right To Work Elimination from The Party Establishment, and if it went down he'd get to claim the Party Establishment was a corrupt anti-progressive machine despite all the progressive laws it passed that session. It was ENTIRELY about trying to inject leftist outrage into his effort to win the gubernatorial primary. It was baby's first palace intrigue, and people rightfully didn't fall for it and put the blame where it belonged, on him for being a self-centered dumbass. The man is a grifter.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Uhh okay lol :yikes:

Personally I think it's a pretty easy situation to read simply by looking at the vote that was taken, looking at who voted against it, and by deductive reasoning concluding that those who voted against it did not want to pass it, because otherwise they would have voted for it instead

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

1337JiveTurkey posted:

They supported passing it through the ordinary process that every other bill was going through.
Does this "support" entail assigning it to a committee to die?

quote:

For the third straight year, Del. Lee Carter (D-Manassas) filed a bill to repeal Virginia’s ‘Right to Work’ law. And for the third time, it sat in committee without a vote... Filed back in December, the bill never made it on the committee’s docket to be discussed in more than a month. The committee doesn’t plan to meet again before Crossover Day, effectively killing the proposal for this session.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What about him forcing the vote made you so angry you constructed this grand narrative about his secret intentions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

Lee Carter pushed that vote because if it passed he'd get to claim he was a big hero who saved Right To Work Elimination from The Party Establishment
Incredible.

Why did it need saving in the first place lol. I'm dying to know.