Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

miyata really needs to ditch the featherweight class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
You need to ditch the featherweight class

But yes I do not like that the protagonist is a featherweight. He should pick a real weight to be

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Flesnolk posted:

Anyone in here fans of actual boxing? Card tonight was pretty fun, I feel like an Ippo that was actually worth anything as a boxer would fight a lot like Canelo.

Canelo's counterpunch heavy style does not gel with Ippo at all. GGG is a more stylistic and archetype fit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Chocolotito is the boxer who resembles ippo the most

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Jose posted:

Chocolotito is the boxer who resembles ippo the most

I want to change my answer to this.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

Canelo's counterpunch heavy style does not gel with Ippo at all. GGG is a more stylistic and archetype fit.

GGG is a good comparison, I was a little rusty and the way Canelo was walking Plant down gave me Ippo vibes. Appropriate that GGG has lost to Canelo, then :V

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Why are you guys reinventing the wheel, "incredibly talented heavy puncher who uses his great balance and head movement and a closed guard to get flashy kos then stagnates due to overreliance on his power and gimmicks and retires for reasonsdontworryaboutit" is Iron Mike and Iron Mike's supposed to be the "model" for Ippo as a boxer so

edit: unless we're talking about active/recent boxers and then yeah ggg is good and i have this feeling george is about to start writing Ippo like Inoue

Dias fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 11, 2021

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

maybe in terms of early style but I don't feel like anything except the calibre of his punch is the same as tyson at this point, nor for a very long time.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also I was never talking about who the character's modelled after, just that I thought his style would look a little like that if he were capable of any kind of boxing skill beyond "get punched in the face and throw hooks"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Would be a very different manga if Ippo's attitude had been modeled closer to Mike's. At one point there was a supercut of most of Tyson's pro fights on Youtube and for the first dozen or so he literally just ran across the ring and started punching the other guy as soon as the bell rang. Apparently this was a novel strategy at the time because they looked surprised as hell every time and it just kept working. IIRC, his first 10 fights were 1RKOs, with his 11th being a KO like 5 seconds into R2. Every fight should be the Sendo title fight: bell ring -> Dempsy Roll :getin:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Something like half the fights in this series open with one dude just sprinting at the other the second the bell rings

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
re: ippo looking like a pro fighter if his abilities were better

in hni, fighters are waaaay too "specialized" compared to reality. even the less gimmicky fighters are mostly gimmick based. it's kinda a natural thing tho considering its a shonen, but a good example would be like how the story points out ricardo's "mode switch" (i bring this up cuz its getting some steam in the community rn w the woli fight upcoming). in real life there wouldn't really even be a comment on him being like, moderately more aggressive for a few rounds or something (like he did vs date), it'd just be a natural extension of the way he fought, but in HnI its like a different skillset is suddenly available to him

similar to miyata and countering, you'd basically never see someone at the top level whos skillset boils down to "a ton of really ineffectual jabs and counters", to be competing toward the top you've gotta be moderately competent at most everything. this is particularly notable at the beginning part of the manga where they are like obsessive with "infighters vs "outfighters", but in reality most people just do a bit of both

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
if any of you have somehow not read it / heard of it, a story that actually does pretty well at explaining how people grow in athletics is haikyuu. of course we still have our "really good at one thing" characters, but it's pointed out as a flaw

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

An exception to this might be baseball, but yeah that would apply to the high level of most forms of competition.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its not a traditional boxing manga at all but i really like this korean boxing webcomic

https://www.webtoons.com/en/sports/the-boxer/list?title_no=2027

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jose posted:

its not a traditional boxing manga at all but i really like this korean boxing webcomic

https://www.webtoons.com/en/sports/the-boxer/list?title_no=2027

Ah yeah it's good and it has a fantastic troll character and troll chapter that are first rate.

Gets pretty philosophical but not in a bad or tedious way imo

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Flesnolk posted:

Something like half the fights in this series open with one dude just sprinting at the other the second the bell rings

Now imagine if that resulted in an instant KO for like 10 fights in a row. Well, that would have been boring, but also got us through the decades of pointless title defenses a bit faster. Fair trade I'd say.

tbp posted:

if any of you have somehow not read it / heard of it, a story that actually does pretty well at explaining how people grow in athletics is haikyuu. of course we still have our "really good at one thing" characters, but it's pointed out as a flaw

I haven't read the manga but the anime is one of my favorite sport shounen series. I didn't care anything about volleyball but actually ended up watching a series of games in the 2016 Olympics because I could kind of follow what was going on just from watching the show. And yeah it is 'relatively' realistic in how it portrays people's abilities.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Golovkin won a few hundred too many amateur matches to be Ippo, I think. Ippo never wins on points.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

Now imagine if that resulted in an instant KO for like 10 fights in a row. Well, that would have been boring, but also got us through the decades of pointless title defenses a bit faster. Fair trade I'd say.

A couple of chapters ago they were talking about how Imae was doing exactly this.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

my parents boyfriend posted:

Golovkin won a few hundred too many amateur matches to be Ippo, I think. Ippo never wins on points.

Basically no fights go to decision in this series. You'd think a literal boxing trainer would have more respect for fights that aren't just slugfests.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Flesnolk posted:

Basically no fights go to decision in this series. You'd think a literal boxing trainer would have more respect for fights that aren't just slugfests.

We see a decent number go to decision. Just not Ippo or Takamura's fights.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
None of them we see on screen IIRC. Pretty much just smash cuts to Aoki or Kimura winning/losing by decision. But it's been a while. Volg's title fight might've been a decision? Oh and Volg vs. Sendo but I couldn't remember if that's a fight we actually see play out.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

A couple of chapters ago they were talking about how Imae was doing exactly this.

After posting I did remember that one Itagaki fight that was exactly that strategy, but that was the only specific example I could recall.

Flesnolk posted:

None of them we see on screen IIRC. Pretty much just smash cuts to Aoki or Kimura winning/losing by decision. But it's been a while. Volg's title fight might've been a decision? Oh and Volg vs. Sendo but I couldn't remember if that's a fight we actually see play out.

Yeah was about to say, there's tons of decision fights but that's just used to smash cut to the end so people don't feel like they missed something interesting with a KO. And we do see a good bit of the Volg/Sendo title fight, though not in as much detail as a 'regular' Ippo bout.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Remember the time Kobashi was almost certainly going to beat Ippo by decision and then decided to say gently caress everything and got himself knocked out

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

canoshiz posted:

Remember the time Kobashi was almost certainly going to beat Ippo by decision and then decided to say gently caress everything and got himself knocked out

Well Kobashi wanting to win via Knockout had been long established with him. And he saw the opportunity and decided to do, his coach even thinking he made a huge error. He later did get that Knockout victory he wanted against Hayami.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How far our gimmick fighters have come :allears: Back when 'winning on points' or 'holding your breath' or 'eating raw meat' was considered a novel strategy...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cock and ball frostbite so you can keep fighting

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There was that guy that later tried to beat Ippo via points. But he just kind of got his asskicked before even the mid point of the match.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

'eating raw meat'

Jordan Peterson is a boxer?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The saddest loss to Ippo I think isn't any of the jobbers who get zero characterization that he lays out in 10 seconds, but that one guy who had a name tag and everything who built up his body to take Ippo's punches and then Ippo just beats the absolute poo poo out of him anyway.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1361

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

wow, this is a wr in deuteragonist jobbing%, congrats, Mashiba

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The best part of mashiba is when he uses his flicker for non-boxing things, like this chapter or when he snatches the phone away from kumi to stop her from talking to ippo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lol yeah that shits funny

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dias posted:

wow, this is a wr in deuteragonist jobbing%, congrats, Mashiba

He's not lost yet.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's not lost yet.

:ssh: its funnier to me if i believe that until the next chapter comes out
"ill never accept [it], not even just to myself" <gets koed>

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Plot twist - last panel is drawn from the mat looking up at Mashiba

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Aoki Jr. and his buddy are going to be in above average shape (even for Kamogawa gym) for their pro debut at this rate

Kinda wondering if this is going to end up with Mashiba having another one of those "Clearly the only way I can win matches is by being an absolute psychopath" moments

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am looking forward to Ippo’s students debut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

aren't volg and mashiba supposed to be the same weight class