Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Prurient Squid posted:

Human Frontier Science Program?

I was wondering about that, too. HFSP? High Frequency poo poo Posting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Have Fun poo poo Posting?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

Tech people, mostly

The worst people in the world keep on winning

Im over here being not bitter

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Regarde Aduck posted:

The worst people in the world keep on winning

Im over here being not bitter

Tech people and robber barons are the same, imo: two groups of filthy rich people who don’t give a gently caress that history will portray them as assholes.

Actually, that’s pretty much the history of capitalism and dictatorships on this rotten crap Earth, so yeah.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
The only block chain I'll ever need is hanging from this bad boi

gently caress you if you don't actually work for a living, I'm guessing that's 100% of the cryptobros

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

DerekSmartymans posted:

No. Neither does anybody else.

This guy gets it

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

jokes posted:

Some collectors of things think imperfections are more notable and thus worth more. Like a charizard card with an error on it.

Since it’s digital, though, they are always 1:1 perfect copies. This should be a good thing but crypto idiots disagree.

This is always the case. I was at a toy auction recently and this “miscard” fetched the highest amount. Anyone want to guess how much?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

You paid $45k for it

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

SRQ posted:

how high are the chances that evergrande actually sinks coining.

china accidentally stumbling backwards into being an environmental hero by killing off coining would be amazing.

It won't sink crypto alone. The worry amongst crytobros though is that it will sink tether (even if temporarily) and various officials around the world are watching 'stable' coins like a hawk. And a huge volatility in them will be enough to justify either very strict regulatory action or an outright ban.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
https://www.sec.gov/news/statement/crenshaw-defi-20211109

securities and exchange commissioner posted:

In a recent speech I requested input from digital assets market participants. See Caroline Crenshaw, Commissioner, Sec. & Exch. Comm’n, Digital Asset Securities – Common Goals and a Bridge to Better Outcomes (Oct. 12, 2021). Unfortunately, that has not yet yielded much of a response from a community that often says it lacks necessary guidance from the SEC, among others. My door remains open, and I welcome your ideas. I’ve created a dedicated mailbox for this purpose:

crenshaw-defi@sec.gov

Common Goals and a Bridge to Better Outcomes (Oct. 12, 2021) posted:

As China recently banned digital asset exchanges operating within its borders, I went back to look at how that has impacted where bitcoin transactions now occur. Today six of the top 11 centralized bitcoin exchanges by volume are in the U.S., and two others are in Financial Action Task Force (“FATF”) member countries.[30] These exchanges may be less subject to manipulative trading, and could have more reliable anti-money laundering programs. But none of those exchanges has registered with us, so I am not sure we have sufficient visibility to verify any of that. I am still gathering information, but I know we will achieve better results by working together to create positive change and make decisions based not only on where we’ve been but where things are today and where we anticipate they may be tomorrow.

China banned the thing designed for money laundering, ransomware, and anonymous financial scams but geez whiz the SEC isn’t sure they have sufficient visibility to verify what’s happening with the exchanges even within the jurisdiction of the SEC because :911:

:bravo:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

novamute posted:

NFTs that are hosted on centralized servers have this problem yes. If hosted on IPFS the image can disappear but it can't change because the address is just a hash of the content.

Edit: to be clear, a lot of these projects are actually just hosted out of an S3 bucket or something because it's simpler and they are usually just trying to get this stuff pumped out as fast as possible

As far as I know there is no hash checking outside the IPFS internal distribution stuff. Any IPFS gateway could silently replace every web request with goatse.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
an nft is just an ID number on ~the blockchain~. if you own the NFT then that means ownership of the ID number is associated with an etherium address you control, that;s it. It's typically down to some web site or other (which could go offline at any moment, or change to goatse, if the operator decides they can't be assed any more) to associate the ID number with whatever ugly monkey jpeg you bought.

I think the technology allows for a hash of the thing you're supposed to own to be in the blockchain too, like someone else said. So then it couldn't change. but it could still go offline

e: or maybe not, maybe even this gives nfts too much credit

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Computer Serf posted:

https://www.sec.gov/news/statement/crenshaw-defi-20211109

China banned the thing designed for money laundering, ransomware, and anonymous financial scams but geez whiz the SEC isn’t sure they have sufficient visibility to verify what’s happening with the exchanges even within the jurisdiction of the SEC because :911:

:bravo:
The majorty of them have also been banned in Europe outside of binance and even then, a lot of countries have also banned binance since it does some comically shadey leverage options.

Fascinating to see the United States turning into a tax haven to own the Chinese and euros.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dang it, Dale, I just want to download the jif.

One day, Hank, digital copies of us will be eternalized on the Blockchain for the basalisk to torture as it ascends to power long after we're all dead.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Mans posted:

The majorty of them have also been banned in Europe outside of binance and even then, a lot of countries have also banned binance since it does some comically shadey leverage options.

Fascinating to see the United States turning into a tax haven to own the Chinese and euros.

:ssh: it always was

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Stealthgerbil posted:

everyone knows its all about pegglecoin

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

We’re gonna have a raid on the 401(k)s of America here real soon and get a litmus test on how much the average schmuck really loves capitalism.

Something tells me we won’t be a country after that sort of crash.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Lone Badger posted:

So something I don't understand...
Say I 'buy' Scammy Monkey #31415A. A token that says "https://scams.com/stupidmonkey.jpg" is created and forevially blockchainised, meaning that at any point in the future I can reference the blockchain to prove that I own the token. It is technologically impossible for anyone to alter this. I can then point to the fact that https://scams.com/stupidmonkey.jpg loads a picture of Scammy Money #31415A to 'prove' that I own Scammy Money #31415A.
BUT...
This is entirely dependant on the whims of whoever owns the scams.com domain. Say the intern goes in and swaps the filenames so that https://scams.com/stupidmonkey.jpg now loads an image of Scammy Monkey #3453C and Scammy Money #31415A is now located at https://scams.com/idiotmonkey.jpg . Me and the other monkey owner have effectively swapped which monkeys we 'own'. Teal dear: scammy monkey ownership is actually entirely dependant on a central database controlled by a single person. So what is the blockchain bit actually contributing to this? Why not have it be database entries and not need to 'spend ether' do do things?

You are correct with the exception that it is not technologically impossible for anyone to alter this. Blockchains work by either letting people with the most at stake or those willing to waste the most time set what the blockchain does. So if I already have the biggest stake in the blockchain, I can actually change what the blockchain says. And if the specific blockchain you use for your NFT falls out of favor, it becomes possible that I waste so much time I get so much clout I can alter the blockchain.

I don't know what the first one is called but the second is a 51% attack.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The first one is called "a scam working as intended"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

What are you trying to say here?

Also, this doesn't really tell us anything. As something gets bigger, smaller percentages are make it gain 1000 points?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Do the same graph as % increases over the prior year.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

What are you trying to say here?

Also, this doesn't really tell us anything. As something gets bigger, smaller percentages are make it gain 1000 points?

But that graph makes it pretty obvious the stock market has seen absurd and ahistorical gainz these past 10 years?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

jokes posted:

Do the same graph as % increases over the prior year.

It is extremely boring

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

SmartCunt posted:

Holy poo poo, this thread is a hilarious time capsule of self-righteous closed-mindedness. I wonder what it will look like in another 4 years. HFSP

RIP Lowtax

lmao

“Everyone is doing it, it can’t be wrong”

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ah yes. infinite money

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/CryptoWhale/status/1459391779401355267?t=dHUiOx1v4II8bw7jaY8A1Q&s=09

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:discourse:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

cryptocurrency will never be anything other than a hilarious mess

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
So what’s the process for cashing out of a scam like that cleanly? Wouldn’t there be a clear trail of where the money went?

E: I’m sorry, scam is redundant there. What’s the process for properly executing an ICO like this one?

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 14, 2021

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

tehinternet posted:

So what’s the process for cashing out of a scam like that cleanly? Wouldn’t there be a clear trail of where the money went?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WCFUGCOLLU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was wondering about that, too. HFSP? High Frequency poo poo Posting?

As far as I can tell, it's Have Fun Staying Poor, which is a very cool thing to post that will certainly make people want to invest in your particular scam more. NGMI is the NFT bro acronym I don't get. Not Gonna Miss It?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Liquid Communism posted:

Literally everything there was done by Gorillaz 20+ years ago.

It was done by Alvin and the Chipmunks in the 50's.

You could argue Japan's been doing it for decades with character albums of anime waifus.

So of course the NFT idiots are going to act like it's something new and awesome and a big loving deal.

Red Minjo posted:

As far as I can tell, it's Have Fun Staying Poor, which is a very cool thing to post that will certainly make people want to invest in your particular scam more. NGMI is the NFT bro acronym I don't get. Not Gonna Miss It?

Not Gonna Make It, apparently.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

tehinternet posted:

E: I’m sorry, scam is redundant there. What’s the process for properly executing an ICO like this one?

the crypto ecosystem is so full of pointless financialization that it's apparently not too hard to launder gains

but even if they know which account is associated with the scammer, there's no way to reclaim the funds. all they can do is try to persuade other crypto folks to blacklist the account and refuse to accept coins from that account. there's no agency that can confiscate the stolen funds

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Unless you scam a really really rich person in which case they revert it and pretend it never happened (see: ethereum).

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

Unless you scam a really really rich person in which case they revert it and pretend it never happened (see: ethereum).

se la vie

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Season 1.

https://twitter.com/LegoJKL/status/1459532441526444039

WHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

we all worship the 90s so giving everything a cartoon is fitting.