Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Seph posted:

Or it could be that people don't have weddings at Dachau because it is a bunch of industrial buildings with barbed wire and ten foot concrete fences in the middle of a muddy field? Compared to missions which are generally architecturally beautiful churches in picturesque countryside.

Also it's been centuries since the atrocities committed at the missions but it's been about 80 years since world war 2. I could see something like the Eagles Nest becoming a popular wedding venue in a couple hundred years when people see it more as a historical chalet tucked in the mountains rather than Hitler's personal mountain retreat.

Yeah it's been HUNDREDS of years before atrocities comittee at the missions

What about :

The Belgian congo
Reformation schools for natives on 3 continents
Vietnam

To name a few

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i mean there is a sitting US congressman who instagrammed his visit to hitler's villa and called it a bucket list item

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not to mention the atrocities we're doing literally right now in this state, lol. the missions are merely the most visible and yet undiscussed monument to violence here.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Catholic genocide denial is pretty good goes like this "yeah we did em but it was like 5 millennia ago so who cares"

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

California Missions are more like antebellum plantation houses more than German work camps to be fair.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fill Baptismal posted:

Yeah but even in 100 years I don't think people are going to be getting Dachau weddings the way that they do with, say, plantations.

Most people are pretty horrified by plantation weddings I think. Just not nearly as much of a majority as you'd hope

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah it's been HUNDREDS of years before atrocities comittee at the missions

What about :

The Belgian congo
Reformation schools for natives on 3 continents
Vietnam

To name a few

I was specifically referring to the California missions, but yes, all of those things you listed are bad too. I'm not here to defend imperialism. I'm just saying the argument "but people don't have weddings at Dachau!" is kinda dumb because aesthetics is a major consideration for a wedding venue so unless you're into the concentration camp vibe no one is going to want to have a wedding there.

Missions are aesthetically nice (as are some plantations) which is why people have weddings there. They're thinking "my wedding photos are going to look great here!" not "I can't believe the atrocities that happened over 200 years ago here." Of course, they absolutely should care about the historical context of the venue, but that's not the world we live in unfortunately.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Some people probably have their wedding at a Mission because they are Catholic and the Mission is perhaps the local Catholic church and they would like their grandparents to not disown them

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

They won that one so they might be less sensitive about it

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Seph posted:

Missions are aesthetically nice (as are some plantations) which is why people have weddings there. They're thinking "my wedding photos are going to look great here!" not "I can't believe the atrocities that happened over 200 years ago here." Of course, they absolutely should care about the historical context of the venue, but that's not the world we live in unfortunately.

Yes and other people have weddings there because they're racist and like the idea of colonizing places and enslaving/murdering people.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

There are valid comparisons between Nazi death camps and the Missions, but it's frankly insulting to survivors of both of those genocides to say they're exactly the same.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

The difference between missions and Nazi camps is the Nazis lost their war and Californians won, so we get to pretend. No one is going to voluntarily admit to their own death camps.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Seph posted:

I was specifically referring to the California missions, but yes, all of those things you listed are bad too. I'm not here to defend imperialism. I'm just saying the argument "but people don't have weddings at Dachau!" is kinda dumb because aesthetics is a major consideration for a wedding venue so unless you're into the concentration camp vibe no one is going to want to have a wedding there.

That's literally what I was saying: if the place where horrific things happened is aesthetically nice or not probably plays a major role in how the place is viewed, probably a lot more than we'd like to admit.

As time goes on, the number of people who think of it as simply a nice building is probably going to go up, all else being equal.

CPColin posted:

Some people probably have their wedding at a Mission because they are Catholic and the Mission is perhaps the local Catholic church and they would like their grandparents to not disown them

Yeah, ultimately I think that's why they're always gonna be around. The portion of people who think of it as the nice historic church is probably always going to larger than the number of people who regarded it as a symbol of atrocity.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

My ex went to Catholic school and they actually taught about the true nature of the missions. Her church was surprisingly good about trying to respect tradition but telling the story honestly.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I smell smoke in the morning, check purple air and it's 112 AQI outside. No news on any wildfires in the Chronicle. I guess we're just used to it now?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

proletariando posted:

I smell smoke in the morning, check purple air and it's 112 AQI outside. No news on any wildfires in the Chronicle. I guess we're just used to it now?

You smell smoke because it's under 70 degrees out and people are wearing full polar explorer parkas when venturing outside and burning wood in their fireplaces when at home.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Keyser_Soze posted:

You smell smoke because it's under 70 degrees out and people are wearing full polar explorer parkas when venturing outside and burning wood in their fireplaces when at home.

Must be nice to have sub 70 degree weather

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keyser_Soze posted:

Socal might as well be on a different planet

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm in Roseville and the parkas are out based on the stream of people I see walking to Maidu park and all my senior aged neighbors have been burning their fireplaces for nearly a month now.

OMG it's 59 out! ICE EVERYWHERE!

These same people love it when it's 95+ out for 6 straight months too. gently caress that.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
It was 93 in Escondido yesterday 😭

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keyser_Soze posted:

I'm in Roseville and the parkas are out based on the stream of people I see walking to Maidu park and all my senior aged neighbors have been burning their fireplaces for nearly a month now.

OMG it's 59 out! ICE EVERYWHERE!

These same people love it when it's 95+ out for 6 straight months too. gently caress that.

Lol I didn't even consider what the senior living metropolis in Roseville would be like. Merely more evidence that Roseville should be repurposed as a nuclear test site

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Usually my cutoff for turning my heater on in the morning is when it's under 60 inside when I wake up. I smartly remembered the forecast before doing that today, because it got up to 82 out.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Larry Parrish posted:

Lol I didn't even consider what the senior living metropolis in Roseville would be like. Merely more evidence that Roseville should be repurposed as a nuclear test site

You can nuke the new areas of Rocklin/Roseville by the mall/Highway 65 for sure I agree.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Maidu is pretty rad. Last year I saw about 5 mink, a river otter, a heron, and a beaver. Not bad for suburban hell.

It's a good little reprieve from the people of Roseville.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i wish this place got cold. it consistently gets up to 80 for no good reason even when it's 60 outside unless i keep the window open constantly, which i'd rather not since I-880 is right outside and soot abounds

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i wish this place got cold. it consistently gets up to 80 for no good reason even when it's 60 outside unless i keep the window open constantly, which i'd rather not since I-880 is right outside and soot abounds

this is why the sierras are the best part of the state despite being infested back to the land racists and white flight racists and definetly not racist remote workers who somehow picked the only part of the state that's 90% or higher white

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

nice avatar, larry

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you. Idk who got it for me but big shout-out, I love free stuff.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Larry Parrish posted:

this is why the sierras are the best part of the state despite being infested back to the land racists and white flight racists and definetly not racist remote workers who somehow picked the only part of the state that's 90% or higher white

i have questions about the people that moved to Redding, which is all of the above but also still hot

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Keyser_Soze posted:

I have my windows open when I'm going to bed because it's nice out, and some maniac is exclusively burning Duraflame logs, which produce a smoke and odor reminiscent of pure plastic - and it's all blowing into my house.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i have questions about the people that moved to Redding, which is all of the above but also still hot

At least Redding is sometimes near a functioning lake?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CPColin posted:

At least Redding is sometimes near a functioning lake?

Lake sonoma functions.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Manager at the fast causal place I went into for lunch just now was literally asking me and every other young-ish looking person that came in if we were looking for a job because they were hiring. Labor market must be crazy tight now.

Best time in a long time to be a low skill worker probably. Small business tyrants must be getting rinsed compared to larger firms that can afford to raise wages. Which is great, gently caress ‘em. But the political backlash from those kind of people is gonna be pretty scary. Imagine that’s behind a lot of the screaming for the fed to do something to ‘fight inflation’.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Fill Baptismal posted:

Best time in a long time to be a low skill worker probably.
What? Why do you think they are so desperate for employees. Hint: it's not because it's a good job.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Fill Baptismal posted:

Manager at the fast causal place I went into for lunch just now was literally asking me and every other young-ish looking person that came in if we were looking for a job because they were hiring. Labor market must be crazy tight now.

Best time in a long time to be a low skill worker probably. Small business tyrants must be getting rinsed compared to larger firms that can afford to raise wages. Which is great, gently caress ‘em. But the political backlash from those kind of people is gonna be pretty scary. Imagine that’s behind a lot of the screaming for the fed to do something to ‘fight inflation’.

I had this conversation yesterday....

"Our support desk isn't able to hire anyone, its been weeks and no one wants to work!"
Me: "Are the wages too low?"
"No, the wages are fine, people just aren't applying to the support desk because its hard work and it doesn't pay much!"
Me: "So the wages are too low?"
"No, they just can't find anyone willing to work!"
Me: ....

I work for a Fortune 500 company.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Burning_Monk posted:

I had this conversation yesterday....

"Our support desk isn't able to hire anyone, its been weeks and no one wants to work!"
Me: "Are the wages too low?"
"No, the wages are fine, people just aren't applying to the support desk because its hard work and it doesn't pay much!"
Me: "So the wages are too low?"
"No, they just can't find anyone willing to work!"
Me: ....

I work for a Fortune 500 company.

I bet the person you're talking to has a business degree too.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Jaxyon posted:

I bet the person you're talking to has a business degree too.

Oh you work here to? lol :)

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
A big political economy challenge is that the people hurt by a tight labor market are going to scream at the top of their lungs about how bad it is, and the people helped by it doing have anywhere near as large a platform. And this is all wonky numbers poo poo so the people most likely to vote are going to come away with vague impression that Things Are Bad Due To Government Spending And Inflation.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is any of this desperation for "unskilled" labor trickling down to farm workers or is it just restaurants and other service sector jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yes actually, there’s a ag. labor shortage in a lot of the country right now, or at least there was a couple of months ago. Part of the reason that food prices have gone up a bit.

E: if it wasn’t for rising food prices and the likely political backlash from them, I would want that shortage in particular to get far worse. I cannot think of a group of people who loving deserve to get screwed by a tight labor market more than farmers.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 17, 2021