Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
i finished the show

i wish i hadn't because god drat that was some C-tier poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

i finished the show

Don't worry, you aren't done; there's another episode left!

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Even before starting the latest episode i realized, that i was baffled that i apparently already had watched 8 episodes. How? It seems like almost nothing of consequence happened overall. At least nothing, that could not have been told and made better by doing it in 1-2 episodes max.

Episode thoughts

Noooooooo they killed the huntress! And with her holy bow at that. Those bastards! I guess i finally clicked why she was my favourite: She seemed to be the only semi-relevant person with an actual agenda and feelings. A horrible agenda and destructive feelings, but at least understandable. All the other characters are so aloof and detached that i have no choice but to root against them. They had a slight chance to create an interesting arc with the clone-clone Cleon, but blew it immediately back to status quo. Gaaah.

I will finish this season and maybe give Ep 1 of season 2 a chance but i'm absolutely convinced, that some writers at SyFy could churn out 100 episodes of way more entertaining space pew-pew with the money they spent for one episode of this convoluted crap.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Lol now even the Cleon story is poo poo

It was sci-fi

Now it’s Sci-Fi

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Honestly, Hari just coming out of the box at the end, I'm Jerry Seinfeld just getting out of the theatre right there, just give me a new season of For All Mankind, there is no way of redeeming this nonsense.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Coxswain Balls posted:

Started watching this show and wanted to see if anyone said anything about this because holy crap was that fight awful. I didn't get nauseous but I had to grab a click counter to see how bad it was. The cuts were happening so fast that I definitely missed a bunch but it was almost a hundred cuts for that one fight scene.

My problem with the action is no one gives a gently caress. Ir's just an inconvenient task to perform before you move on to the next scene. The protagonist I'm supposed to relate to isn't nervous, apprehensive or scared before or shocked or frazzled afterwards. Just casually shoots 10 people and walks away. Is she a robot? She's not veteran special forces - she's basically the game warden in a rural village. I'm supposed to like this person?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

i finished the show

At least the similar train wreck Raised by Wolves gave me a few laughs in later episodes from things like Space Snake Rebirth and the dark souls character design.

This show is like a different level of frustration like how all the big "reveals / plot twists" in the last episode were both unsatisfying and cringe-worthy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DaveKap posted:

I have plenty to say about this episode but I think the most important thing is that when the Huntress got shot through the neck and fell over, I said out loud to my computer monitor "please stay dead so the stupid can be dead with you."

Huntress clones will be at the center of every Seldon Crisis going forward :colbert:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

This comment might be really dumb, so I was holding off on this, but it seemed like her square haircut was designed to evoke a military buzz cut

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
And they say they'd like to do eight seasons. That'd be a fun ride.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

And they say they'd like to do eight seasons. That'd be a fun ride.

I'd happily watch 8 season of this. Its great content for posting about

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rutibex posted:

I'd happily watch 8 season of this. Its great content for posting about

Like the TV watching version of doing the Spiral religious walk / torture from the previous episode.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I feel like the nanites would've healed other cleon's slit throat

Powered Descent posted:

Dawn's-eye view of the mural:

Full-color view a few moments later:

And that same view, run through a red-green colorblindness filter:

Yeah, not even close. I wonder why they didn't let the art department cook up an image where the color gimmick actually worked. Perhaps they were worried about leaving behind viewers who were colorblind?

I like how the stuff that would theoretically be behind the red birds is revealed magically, also on the right the red in the cape is visible in the first pic :effort:

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 13, 2021

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Steve Yun posted:

Lol now even the Cleon story is poo poo

It was sci-fi

Now it’s Sci-Fi SyFy™

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I feel like the nanites would've healed other cleon's slit throat

I like how the stuff that would theoretically be behind the red birds is revealed magically, also on the right the red in the cape is visible in the first pic :effort:

I wasn't bothered by this so much. If you live in a world where people can have healing nanobots, surely you'd come up with a counter to that. I could imagine Empire's secret police having daggers that could project a nanobot suppression field or something.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That feels like something written by a colorblind person but executed by non-colorblind people who have no idea what it's like

"if something has colors it's literally invisible to you, is that it? OK got it"

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

DaveKap posted:

Don't worry, you aren't done; there's another episode left!

dammit

DAMMIT

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Data Graham posted:

That feels like something written by a colorblind person but executed by non-colorblind people who have no idea what it's like

"if something has colors it's literally invisible to you, is that it? OK got it"

Even looking at the images posted, I still can't see what Dawn was freaked out by.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

:eng101:
The painting is made of weird nano super-paint. It actually was two different paintings and it just changes when it detects Dawn putting on space-glasses. Dusk doesn't know how to paint something so it would have that effect on a colour blind person either so he just cheated.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Even looking at the images posted, I still can't see what Dawn was freaked out by.

he could originally see only three of the birds Dusk painted, then he put on the magic thingies and could see all six

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

twistedmentat posted:

He was freaked out by the evidence that Dusk knows that he shot more birds than he claimed because he’s colorblind and could see the birds based on movement rather than color (which he tried to hide but that dude found the ones he hid in the bushes).

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
i still dont understand why the botanist girl tried to kill Dawn if the goal was always to tie him onto a chair and suck out his nanobots

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

i still dont understand why the botanist girl tried to kill Dawn if the goal was always to tie him onto a chair and suck out his nanobots
It was a stun gun, not an actual gun.
Alternate answer: You can still draw nanobots out of a dead body.
True answer: Show bad.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Now it’s Sci-Fi SyFy™
Yeah one of the things I wanted to talk about was how the CG was so bad this episode, they had to plop fake birds on the ground and couldn't even get the tracking on those right. Is the budget so so so bad that they couldn't hire a decent animal prop department?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 13, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
It’s not a very well written television show, op

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The laser rifle battles look like they’re out of a low budget Stargate spinoff

The costumes on the show were good until they had to mass produce rubber mold Anachreon battle suits

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Centrist Committee posted:

It’s not a very well written television show, op

I don’t care! I’m going to tell everyone how much I don’t care! That’s how much I don’t care!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I haven't post about this episode yet. They had to use a stupid "baby's first Total Recall plot twist" to ruin that Trantor plotline. All they had to do was run the course of deviant clone concept, just let the actors do their things. Even the Brother Dawn actor is competent enough to pull off the emotion. Just give me a normal character I can root for god drat it.

We are getting to the point that its more entertaining to read the mad comments on this thread than watch the actual show content. Maybe for next week I will skip the show and go straight to the angry comments. They have managed to go 9 episodes without ruining the Lee Pace story, I got a feeling the showrunner is going to outdo himself next week.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 14, 2021

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I was kinda hoping that one consequence of the storyline being sincere without the twist would be that it'd lead to seeing more of Trantor outside the palace than just one episode, like there'd be a subsequent Trantor-wide search, but nope, back to the palace next episode

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hate when I pause a TV show, say something stupid like "That door opened up, but Salvor is going to sit there doing nothing until the Anacreons show up and try to stop her" and then it turns out I'm right. Why is the writing so bad in this show? You'd think with books to base the show off of they could find a way to make it good like The Expanse.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo, i usually come to these threads to read the hot takes with a grain of salt.
But uh yeah, writing bad y'all.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

You'd think with books to base the show off of they could find a way to make it good like The Expanse.

"But the books aren't full of typical basic-bitch TV tropes. Its a space book with no space battles for christ sake. We got to spice it up a bit or no one will like the show!"
~TV Executive

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Rutibex posted:

"But the books aren't full of typical basic-bitch TV tropes. Its a space book with no space battles for christ sake. We got to spice it up a bit or no one will like the show!"
~TV Executive

The thing is, they could have had space battles and still stuck to book accuracy. The Four Kingdoms near Terminus seceded violently from the Empire, and regularly fought with each other during the early period. A plot focused on Anachreon's struggles for independence and domination would have slotted in nicely between the Seldon intro and Hardin's rise, and it would have made Hardin's force-without-violence approach stand out that much more against the usual fighting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Data Graham posted:

He was freaked out by the evidence that Dusk knows that he shot more birds than he claimed because he’s colorblind and could see the birds based on movement rather than color (which he tried to hide but that dude found the ones he hid in the bushes).

Oh! Okay, that makes sense, I thought he saw that Dusk had painted "run bitch run!" on the wall and I was missing it somehow.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Who the hell is editing this show? The last Mexican stand off scene is terrible. One second the actress has her hands up, the next they're down, then they are staring to the right, then they are staring to the left. This poo poo is late night SyFy levels bad.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rutibex posted:

~TV Executive

The Expanse TV was actually better than the books since the writers got a chance to improve weak aspects of the books and were involved in the series since the launch season.

This series pretty much ignored the concepts and themes that made The Foundation book series a compelling read.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

The Expanse TV was actually better than the books since the writers got a chance to improve weak aspects of the books and were involved in the series since the launch season.

This series pretty much ignored the concepts and themes that made The Foundation book series a compelling read.

Yeah I think they hosed up with the format. Each crisis should have been two episodes long, like a two-parter twilight zone or black mirror episode. It needs to feel like a series of self contained movies. The whole thing should have been planed for two seasons not eight.

Instead they are trying to make a typical long-form TV show with persistent characters and it ruins the feel.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I don't think people even need space battles to be entertained.

The Expanse has done pretty well without constant space battles, I don't even remember BSG having battles or fights every episode.

When I think of the best parts of GoT it was usually a couple of characters sitting around a table having conversations about Serious Things. Remember Varys and Littlefinger having a chat in front of the throne and it was all about what they were saying and what they implying? That was the good poo poo.

The show runners here obviously think the audience are idiots. That's the only reason I can think of why they would feel the need to remind us of the events with the space elevator falling even though it happened just at the start of the season.

Or having a voiceover reminding us of the Gardener's plan for Dawn to escape- just minutes after she'd already explained it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Or having a voiceover reminding us of the Gardener's plan for Dawn to escape- just minutes after she'd already explained it.

Last episode:

Robot Lady: I had a vision. I'm glad you did too, I can't think of anything worse than going there and not having one because it means you don't have a soul.
Day flashes back to being in the cave, where he is not having a vision
Robot Lady (voiceover): I can't think of anything worse than going there and not having one because it means you don't have a soul

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Jerusalem posted:

Last episode:

Robot Lady: I had a vision. I'm glad you did too, I can't think of anything worse than going there and not having one because it means you don't have a soul.
Day flashes back to being in the cave, where he is not having a vision
Robot Lady (voiceover): I can't think of anything worse than going there and not having one because it means you don't have a soul

I think they're targeting the audience who watched Dunc and complained that they never tell you what Spice is.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

When I think of the best parts of GoT it was usually a couple of characters sitting around a table having conversations about Serious Things. Remember Varys and Littlefinger having a chat in front of the throne and it was all about what they were saying and what they implying? That was the good poo poo.

Agreed, it's why I'm less than excited for House of the Dragon cuz I suspect it's gonna be all dragons and battles all the time like the last few seasons of GoT.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

twistedmentat posted:

Oh! Okay, that makes sense, I thought he saw that Dusk had painted "run bitch run!" on the wall and I was missing it somehow.

I mean, basically he was :v: he was taunting him saying “I know what you’ve been trying to hide”.

Which is an interesting question, why would he do that? Just to be a cruel dickhead before killing him and replacing him with a Dean clone? Why paint their failure into the mural? They even made a big deal out of “why would we ever want to immortalize your existence”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

DaveKap posted:

It was a stun gun, not an actual gun.
Alternate answer: You can still draw nanobots out of a dead body.
True answer: Show bad.

The best part is that all of this followed several beats where she had every opportunity to just drug him or otherwise incapacitate him, but instead she let him wander around her house waiting for the dramatic reveal.

I laughed a lot at this scene because not only is it lovely, cliched writing, but it's the wrong loving cliche. It's the twist where someone wants revenge and they want the person to know who's about to kill them, except... she doesn't want revenge, and she pities him, and she's not particularly happy about killing him? But anyway, let me betray you in the most shocking and inept way possible before strapping you to this chair to suck out your nanobots. Also, let me release you from this chair before I kill you, instead of just sucking out your nanobots and shooting you in the back of the head.

edit- it's Bond villain writing except the villain keeps inexplicably releasing Bond