Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Watched Shang Chi last night, lmao at Awkwafina without her aave.

saw it just now while semi-feverish, which made it a little more difficult of a watch than it probably otherwise would have been

i was completely surprised by the ben kingsley + cgi pokemon subplot; i think i had vaguely heard kingsley was back or just referenced (so when they namedropped the iron man 3 plot i figured that was it), so him joining the rest of the movie with a pet he speaks for was just wild to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pyrus Malus posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/pbrian0206/status/1458972624047026177

What's the deal with this mindset that we should just shut the gently caress up and let people enjoy things? It seems very prevalent. I get it to a point, I mean you don't wanna be the one person to say OKAY BUT THIS SUCKS HERE'S WHY every time anyone mentions enjoying something, but it seems like maybe there's some real damaging poo poo that could come from convincing people en masse that nobody wants to ever hear any criticisms - I probably don't need to go into detail because we're already somewhat living in that reality - like it already seems a lot of people Online get really uncomfortable if there's ever any kind of clashing of ideas, confrontation, or critical analysis about really anything. I've even seen people freeze up and refuse to engage in discussions about music or other entertainment they like, not necessarily even political things, but I guess that sort of mindset re: political ideas has its genesis in an aversion to questioning the quality of pop culture stuff, or maybe vice versa?

Like it's the internet you know? Literally the place to talk about things and be critical with people from all over the world. I've been on SA most of my life and now with twitter, reddit, facebook, etc influence in (sorta) retrospect it's really obvious how culturally different this forum is from the rest of the internet in terms of people actually willing to jump in and talk. It's easy to understand how 'hey don't be critical of anything, it's a real dick move!' is in service to capital, but I'm stuck scratching my head wondering how such an obviously stupid way of thinking became so widespread.

So what it is in our culture, maybe even society-at-large, hell maybe just the format of more popular internet forums, that spreads this sort of mindset that if our thoughts about something are bad that they are irrelevant?

They can't defend their child-like taste, op.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

kirby's fourth world has a kid called "flipper dipper" whose deal is he's a tiny kid frogman all the time. he lives in new york.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Judakel posted:

They can't defend their child-like taste, op.

:hmmyes:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1459355597468545026

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pyrus Malus posted:

What's the deal with this mindset that we should just shut the gently caress up and let people enjoy things? It seems very prevalent. I get it to a point, I mean you don't wanna be the one person to say OKAY BUT THIS SUCKS HERE'S WHY every time anyone mentions enjoying something, but it seems like maybe there's some real damaging poo poo that could come from convincing people en masse that nobody wants to ever hear any criticisms - I probably don't need to go into detail because we're already somewhat living in that reality - like it already seems a lot of people Online get really uncomfortable if there's ever any kind of clashing of ideas, confrontation, or critical analysis about really anything. I've even seen people freeze up and refuse to engage in discussions about music or other entertainment they like, not necessarily even political things, but I guess that sort of mindset re: political ideas has its genesis in an aversion to questioning the quality of pop culture stuff, or maybe vice versa?

Like it's the internet you know? Literally the place to talk about things and be critical with people from all over the world. I've been on SA most of my life and now with twitter, reddit, facebook, etc influence in (sorta) retrospect it's really obvious how culturally different this forum is from the rest of the internet in terms of people actually willing to jump in and talk. It's easy to understand how 'hey don't be critical of anything, it's a real dick move!' is in service to capital, but I'm stuck scratching my head wondering how such an obviously stupid way of thinking became so widespread.

So what it is in our culture, maybe even society-at-large, hell maybe just the format of more popular internet forums, that spreads this sort of mindset that if our thoughts about something are bad that they are irrelevant?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead style following two french soldiers going through the various escapades, only ever seeing Napoleon on the periphery

Yeah but this is just The Duellists

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

are they deliberately trying to evoke that infamously terrible liefield pose

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
witchcraft!
https://twitter.com/NOFSpodcast/status/1459543680746934275?s=20

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah but this is just The Duellists

I had no idea this was a film and it seems to be exactly what I was imaging except my version would have them be semi-bumbling. I'll take it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/barneyhurley1/status/1457834576462729217

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

*A 7 hour youtube video about why a guy likes anime tiddies. *
"THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED!"
"YOU MADE ME DO THIS! "

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Pyrus Malus posted:

idk i feel like it's coincided with all of our media becoming property of the disney corporation. reviewers have already fully transformed into rubber stamps for comic book garbage so this attitude is just a way to shut down negative word of mouth online for that same comic book garbage imho

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Pyrus Malus posted:

I mean, I like negative criticism too, but making GBS threads on Big Bang theory or whatever online isn't praxis. the hugbox environment of the mcu fandom is not what's holding us back from universal healthcare, or even better mid-budget movies yanno

also, it's always fun to read about interesting or cool elements of otherwise-crappy media

the other side of this pendulum is "here's why everything you like is actually bad and problematic" which is sometimes worthwhile, but it also feels very 2014

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
The cynical view toward pop-culture comes from the fact that it keeps being shoved into people's faces.

An Average song get over played on the radio, and people start to hate it.

If you hear that song once a day for a year:
that is:
3 minutes * 365 days = 1095 minutes, over 18 hours of that single song.

A person feels like that is a waste of their life.
Doubly so, when songs you enjoy are never played on the radio.
Silence become preferable.

Then you take in movies, and the whole discourse system that surrounds movies.
The question has to be asked: "does this movie deserve thousands of years of collective discourse about it?"

Edit: K I N G O

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 00:20 on Nov 14, 2021

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

Justin Tyme posted:

Relatedly, how loving long am I gonna have to wait for a big-budget epic Napoleon/Genghis Khan movie.

Universal is launching a 'History Cinematic Universe' Phase I is slated to start in 2023 with origin movies for Alexander of Macedon and Saladdin, then 2024 will open with Isabella vs Elizabeth: Hear Me Roar to try and rope in the female audience before they build up to heavy hitters like Napoleon and Genghis.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

more piss culture but:

https://twitter.com/kimpossiblefact/status/1459588246204141577?s=20

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Aglet56 posted:

for anybody that thinks that modern media is too sexless, I invite you to watch any of the cw comic book shows or riverdale

American gods also showed actual erect dong, which I have never seen on tv before or since

can you fuckin imagine bryan fuller getting invited to join the marvel machine

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
American sexlessism is a wholly artificial phenomenon though. The people want it, the country just has such a powerful censorship apparatus through things like the mpaa. That artificial prop gets pulled out and you’d be surprised how fast all those attitudes change. Not even a generation I’d bet.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How about an Henri IV movie? Call it "Paris is worth a mass."

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I'm not sure if that would make things better, America soul is diseased enough that loosening those restrictions might lead to some real hosed up sexual poo poo coming out

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

josh04 posted:

kirby's fourth world has a kid called "flipper dipper" whose deal is he's a tiny kid frogman all the time. he lives in new york.

Pre-crisis he is the son of the unofficial member of the newsboy legion and joined the 2nd iteration of the newsboy legion.

Post crisis he is a clone. The newsboy legion and Manhattan guardian clone poo poo is wild.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/that_mc/status/1459613130636492802?s=20

https://twitter.com/that_mc/status/1459613145480122371?s=20

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Won't be as good as the original.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

I'm not sure if that would make things better, America soul is diseased enough that loosening those restrictions might lead to some real hosed up sexual poo poo coming out

so what youre saying is well turn anime? not really seeing the downside

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Mr Hootington posted:

Won't be as good as the original.

The first one had dark poo poo like the talking cat being run over and the kids crying over the corpse before it snapped back together due to immortality. Then there was when they shoved the witches into one of those walk-in pottery ovens and burned them alive.

The sequel is going to be tame as hell

DesertIslandHermit has issued a correction as of 03:58 on Nov 14, 2021

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The first one had dark poo poo like the talking cat being run over and the kids crying over the corpse before it snapped back together due to immortality. Then there was when they shoved the witches into one of those walk-in pottery ovens and burned them alive.

Yeah the movie is a Halloween classic.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah the movie is a Halloween classic.

Hocus Pocus loving rules. I watch it every October. Still holds up.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Make a big budget Napoleon movie, but it's a workplace comedy set during the camp of Boulogne

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Make a big budget Napoleon movie, but it's a workplace comedy set during the camp of Boulogne

John C Reilly as Napoleon, acting on his knees like Dorf

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

An Aaron Sorkin screenplay about the Italian campaign during the first coalition where Napoleon is a "move fast and break things" disrupter

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Pyrus Malus posted:

these people have pretty much abandoned any sort of cultural self-identity or self worth that they solely identify themselves with what they consume therefore any sort of attack on the media they enjoy becomes an attack on them personally.

they can be either complete hopeless assholes who want to shut down criticism in general because they are social despots or they can be conflict adverse infantile whiners who might not necessarily disagree with the criticism but hearing anything bad about that piece of media might magically "ruin" it for them because everything has to be an "experience" these days.

these rubes are incapable of not identifying with what they consume or thinking it's possible to like something and dislike something about the same piece of media at the same time

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

dude fuckin died, came back, and fought thanos, how much more earning does he need to do lol

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

every single story involving him ever again is gonna be about him Earning The Shield just like how every gay charscter in a disney movie is The First Gay Disney Character, So Brave, So Groundbreaking

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

every single story involving him ever again is gonna be about him Earning The Shield just like how every gay charscter in a disney movie is The First Gay Disney Character, So Brave, So Groundbreaking

Inspiring: Black character proves capable in position despite lacking objective biological superiority of white former occupant.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 14:54 on Nov 14, 2021

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

they're going to be the good guys now and use their powers to help a young cursed witch come of age and defeat a halloween big bad with thackery binx's ghost who will be played by Zac Efron :kiddo:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I like implication in the tv series that any poc that has historical grievances with america is just a bitter old loser

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

The thing that stuck in my head when I saw the movie at age 10 was the little girl who just casually gets killed in the opening scene by having her soul sucked out. Then her lifeless body remains in frame, slumped over in the chair while the witches continue talking.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Bro Dad posted:

I like implication in the tv series that any poc that has historical grievances with america is just a bitter old loser

Um yeah racism is over dude, cheeto gone. They're just exiles from the land of misfit Bernie bros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rage Against the Latrine