Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

You're not going to see step through frames on time trials bikes any time soon.

You're absolutely right but the Pinarello Parigina from the mid-nineties didn't know this. On the phone so you'll have to Google the pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I was a little skeptical of the step through thing

It's incredibly comfortable getting on and off, and you don't need to think twice . You are just on and away

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Havana Affair posted:

You're absolutely right but the Pinarello Parigina from the mid-nineties didn't know this. On the phone so you'll have to Google the pictures.

I got you

bonus picture:

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 14, 2021

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Heliosicle posted:

^^^ how did you do the footbed, is it perfectly moulded to the bottom of your foot or just flat?

3d scan of my foot via plaster, then as close to perfect as I could manage. In the toe area obviously the details are all removed and the amount of 'toe spring' - how much the toes rise if your heel and ball of foot are flat - is added in.
Having the toes dead flat is very odd to ride in, but if take the casts with the toes bent up the arch is higher and can be too intrusive IME.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You can toss an insole into your cycling shoes to fix that. I run SUPER FEET brand insoles in my road shoes. SUPER!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Sick

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Pictured: Me on the way to the store to pick up a gallon of milk

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I love a step through, although I'm not that good at actually stepping through. Feels like I'm starting on the wrong foot or the pedals are in the way. Haven't got enough practice I guess. Here's one with carbon belt drive:

https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/katalog/city-2021/s-300-shimano-nexus-8-gang-freilauf-disc-gates-894-2021

Pricey for a city bike, $1400 in Norway. The frame is probably good though, step throughs are really terrible when they're soft. You feel the bar flexing towards you as you brake. I wonder if there are carbon fiber step throughs somewhere in Amsterdam or Copenhagen...

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
As a Dutch person, I'm fairly sure only a fraction of them are made from carbon, if any.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

I'm 39 :smith:

I just like the style, but strictly for slow going utility/cargo purposes. I WFH so no commuting need

Wasn't calling you an old, just saying that there's a bug bump in demand. Lots of companies are starting to market step thru bikes for all ages. It's why they're finally making cooler step thru bikes and are marketing them as gender neutral.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ola posted:

I wonder if there are carbon fiber step throughs somewhere in Amsterdam or Copenhagen...

Much of the appeal is the bikes all being old, nearly interchangeable & steel frames - no theft risk, no need to even lock properly, no resale value and no way to damage them in a rack.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Heliosicle posted:

^^^ how did you do the footbed, is it perfectly moulded to the bottom of your foot or just flat?

I slapped the back of a car that was reversing into about 10 people (including me), they were only checking one direction of the two way bike lane. Some idiot put parking spaces on either side of the bike lane which is hell for everyone during rush hour.

I made the mistake of not taking the lane as I was entering a roundabout today, and some rear end in a top hat pulled up alongside me as we were in it. Fortunately I was taking the first exit, but that fucker had no way of knowing that.

Californians don't know poo poo about roundabouts anyway.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

wooger posted:

Much of the appeal is the bikes all being old, nearly interchangeable & steel frames - no theft risk, no need to even lock properly, no resale value and no way to damage them in a rack.

why is there no theft risk?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

actionjackson posted:

why is there no theft risk?

They're all identical and everybody already has one.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I had to rent a UHAUL today to move some big furniture, and they had the oddest thing for sale: a Takara Kabuto, for the low low price of $199.95. It had blue tires and was painted neon green.

And I don't mean they were selling some random bike that some jackass left in a rental. I mean, this thing was for sale there. It had a proper UHAUL cardboard sign, price tag, UPC bar code, etc. It was displayed on one of the many bike carriers they sell. And I get that--they sell all kinds of trailer hitch accessories.

It was such a string thing to see for sale at a truck rental store.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

tarlibone posted:

I had to rent a UHAUL today to move some big furniture, and they had the oddest thing for sale: a Takara Kabuto, for the low low price of $199.95. It had blue tires and was painted neon green.

And I don't mean they were selling some random bike that some jackass left in a rental. I mean, this thing was for sale there. It had a proper UHAUL cardboard sign, price tag, UPC bar code, etc. It was displayed on one of the many bike carriers they sell. And I get that--they sell all kinds of trailer hitch accessories.

It was such a string thing to see for sale at a truck rental store.

Should have bought it, it was on sale!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

a fixie...with brakes.

sick colors though

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
My friend had one of these in college, a black and yellow one. It was such a piece of poo poo.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Wait why would you not run brakes on a fixed gear.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Salt Fish posted:

Wait why would you not run brakes on a fixed gear.

That's bait....

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Let’s assume for a second I have zero theft risk (lol) - can I get a belt drive commuter and leave it outside with minimal maintenance? Something like this?

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/continuumonyx

I’m in New England

posted in correct thread now

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Time posted:

Let’s assume for a second I have zero theft risk (lol) - can I get a belt drive commuter and leave it outside with minimal maintenance? Something like this?

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/continuumonyx

I’m in New England

posted in correct thread now

The bike will still need practically as much maintenance as a chain drive. Leaving the bike outside doesn't wear the chain out that much, using it does.

Your headset and bottom bracket will need to be re-greased, your hubs will need to be overhauled, your brake lines will need their cables or oil replaced.

In a New England winter, the changes in temperature will cause humid air to be drawn into every part with a hollow and will leave moisture behind to wear things out and make a soap out of the grease already present. It's why people ride beaters in the winter.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

SimonSays posted:

The bike will still need practically as much maintenance as a chain drive. Leaving the bike outside doesn't wear the chain out that much, using it does.

Your headset and bottom bracket will need to be re-greased, your hubs will need to be overhauled, your brake lines will need their cables or oil replaced.

In a New England winter, the changes in temperature will cause humid air to be drawn into every part with a hollow and will leave moisture behind to wear things out and make a soap out of the grease already present. It's why people ride beaters in the winter.

Thank you 🙏

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It might not be a big reduction in the number of bullet points on the servicing plan, but the chain drive is what gives me the most amount of nuisance in whatever unit one measures nuisance in. It needs oiling, it gathers dirt, the dirt makes the indexing go off, my right pant leg gets dirty, cleaning it is a mess in itself etc. I wouldn't consider it if I had a hilly commute, but for a flat commute in office clothes it's just the right ticket. It has a nicer feel as well, which might be a bigger deal with e-bikes where you don't notice the efficiency loss and a bad gear change can crash a lot harder because you also didn't notice you were putting out 250 W.

That said, most people spend zero effort maintaining their chains anyway, e-bike or not. I always hear some pretty horrible chain noises on the bike paths. It's actually useful when I'm jogging.

Ola fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 15, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I met some bloke who was riding 2 years around the world who swore by his belt drive and said it required very little maintanence. He said he just wiped it down with a cloth occasionally.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sounds like the only way to get rid of theft risk is a brompton or something where you can just bring it inside with you everywhere

edit: forgot about this guy, the orange one is what I have, I will probably get a second one to lock the front and back tire separately. Seems to be as good as I can do if I do have to lock it in public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZtNEC1uGg4

he uses this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpVOTEOMRuE

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 15, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

actionjackson posted:

is the step-through design mainly for old people, I see if often on cargo/utility bikes (and I think in other countries like NL, it's pretty much every bike you see in the city)

https://www.thehubbikecoop.org/product/marin-larkspur-1-381099-1.htm
Man that looks awesome, but it's more of a mixte height than true step-through.

In general step-through compromises weight and/or stiffness for ease of use with skirts, child seatss and bum legs/joints.

hemale in pain posted:

I met some bloke who was riding 2 years around the world who swore by his belt drive and said it required very little maintanence. He said he just wiped it down with a cloth occasionally.
Can confirm. The only "problem" with belt drives is that it moves the reliability bottleneck to the geared hub, and before you know it you're spending a kidney on a rohloff.

SimonSays posted:

If you don't want to rust out your chain you'll be cleaning it every other loving ride, and between that, the lack of lubing and the clean drivetrain it does make a massive QoL difference. I basically don't maintain my cargo bike outside of twice yearly services. On a chain drive bike this would be insanity.
In general, please don't leave your bike outside. If you're cold they're cold.

wooger posted:

Exactly. An omafiets is the last thing you want to make out of CFC. Yes they ride like doodoo, and nobody GAF because they'll never see >25kph. The one exception is the back leg of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9u0F2NWO3Q

Jestery posted:

It's incredibly comfortable getting on and off, and you don't need to think twice . You are just on and away
Throwing your leg over the bottom bracket and letting the frame coast into a front wheel rack is the best.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 15, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Man that looks awesome, but it's more of a mixte height than true step-through.

In general step-through compromises weight and/or stiffness for ease of use with skirts, child seatss and bum legs/joints.

Oh I had never heard of mixte before, cool

this electric one (sausalito) has a cool retro look

Only registered members can see post attachments!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

actionjackson posted:

sounds like the only way to get rid of theft risk is a brompton or something where you can just bring it inside with you everywhere
I bring my bullitt inside. When there's a will...

SimonSays posted:

They're all identical and everybody already has one.
And everyone who cares spent more on the lock than the bike. It's not uncommon to see a normal, not-expensive looking omafiets anchored with a motorcyle rated chain and padlock.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 15, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

some extremely cool vintage (or vintage look) mixte or similar style bikes on craigslist

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/d/minneapolis-specialized-haul-md-17-alum/7397913070.html

and also uh... wtf

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Why do ebikes have gears? I'll take the answer off the air thank you

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Why do ebikes have gears? I'll take the answer off the air thank you

At any given cadence, you either get added torque on top of what your legs are producing, or you get no added torque.
The motor can't increase the speed at which the chain moves beyond your cadence. So if you want to go fast, you have to pedal fast.

Gearing is the only way to maintain a reasonable cadence.

There are gearbox cranksets that have IGH-like internals to multiple your cadence, and I think an ebike motor could eventually contain that. But right now, most of the space is for the motor itself.

e: for throttle only ebikes, yeah, you certainly can dictate your speed independent of your pedaling, but the limitation on a single-speed is whether you can pedal fast enough at higher speeds to engage the freewheel and actually contribute any work, instead of having the motor going faster than you pedal.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 15, 2021

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

SimonSays posted:

In a New England winter, the changes in temperature will cause humid air to be drawn into every part with a hollow and will leave moisture behind to wear things out and make a soap out of the grease already present.
What if the hollow is completely packed with grease?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

CopperHound posted:

What if the hollow is completely packed with grease?

Even soapier

Or the grease will leak out. Good hubs are the old-rear end SAC-3 and the new Alfine 11 which run in an oil bath, not a grease coating.

I mourn my various IGH that have been brought low by winter.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

At any given cadence, you either get added torque on top of what your legs are producing, or you get no added torque.
The motor can't increase the speed at which the chain moves beyond your cadence. So if you want to go fast, you have to pedal fast.

Gearing is the only way to maintain a reasonable cadence.

There are gearbox cranksets that have IGH-like internals to multiple your cadence, and I think an ebike motor could eventually contain that. But right now, most of the space is for the motor itself.

e: for throttle only ebikes, yeah, you certainly can dictate your speed independent of your pedaling, but the limitation on a single-speed is whether you can pedal fast enough at higher speeds to engage the freewheel and actually contribute any work, instead of having the motor going faster than you pedal.

:themoreuknow: thanks

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Any tips on riding on a big, chaotic group? I’ve started riding with NYC’s Thursday Night Social Ride, which has a big diversity of bikes and riding styles (lotta fixie messengers, bmx wheelie boys, some roadies, and even a couple old guys decked out in reflective gear), and it gets pretty hectic. Besides just keeping my head on a swivel to ensure i have space to swerve away from an obstacle, anything else I can do to not get laid out or tripped up by other riders?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Head Bee Guy posted:

Any tips on riding on a big, chaotic group? I’ve started riding with NYC’s Thursday Night Social Ride, which has a big diversity of bikes and riding styles (lotta fixie messengers, bmx wheelie boys, some roadies, and even a couple old guys decked out in reflective gear), and it gets pretty hectic. Besides just keeping my head on a swivel to ensure i have space to swerve away from an obstacle, anything else I can do to not get laid out or tripped up by other riders?

This is why I never really rode motorcycles with groups of more than 3. Too many moving targets to keep track of.

I guess the idea is to keep track of those around you and ride predictably. Slow and to the right is safest; give faster riders plenty of opportunity to pass you on the left, and cross your fingers that they'll do so responsibly. I might have to join y'all before it gets too cold!

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Head Bee Guy posted:

Didn't realize that was still going! That's an offshoot of the Austin TNSR that I did every week for many years since its inception up until I retired from it 3 years ago.

It's also how I broke my pelvis. It's great fun but it's also extremely dumb and bad.

Be prepared for drunken jackasses swerving into you, bmx'ers wheelieing and jumping things inches away from you, a large portion of the group riding into oncoming traffic and on the sidewalks, etc. All you can really do is hold your line and assume everyone else is incapable, because a lot of them are.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Head Bee Guy posted:

Don’t ride with people who are fuckwits. Anyone doing wheelies in a public road are included in that for sure, as is anyone without lights.

It’s treacherous enough riding in a group with people who are trying to ride safely in a group, you have no hope if the other riders aren’t competent or predictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

evil_bunnY posted:

Can confirm. The only "problem" with belt drives is that it moves the reliability bottleneck to the geared hub, and before you know it you're spending a kidney on a rohloff.

My daily beater/commuter has an 8 speed Shimano Nexus hub which I have kind of neglected/abused for the past 10 years out of morbid curiosity. I wan't to get gently caress around and get a 14 speed rohloff, but I go to a support group that keeps me in check about wants/needs.